Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

New Zealand vs Ireland RWC Quarter Final,19th October 2019 match thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

It's going to be the last game for both the coach and captain of one of these teams.

I think Ireland can win, but it will require every single player to have at least an 8/10 performance, and maybe a bit of luck somewhere along the way. Every error will be punished and Ireland absolutely have to win the penalty count.

If NZ also reach that level then they will win, no matter how well Ireland play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Joe is a gent.

But I don't want this for Joe. He's a professional rugby coach and will move on. I want it for Ireland, north and south, of all political and religious persuasion, and none.

It will be a terrific, unifying sporting event and result we all can enjoy. We'd have to go back to WC 1990 v Romania for something similar, and that didn't have an all Ireland dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ireland haven’t ever won a knock-out game in a World Cup, but Sexton believes the current Irish players’ experiences of knock-out rugby elsewhere can be useful tomorrow.

“Declan Kidney said that to us in 2011, that we had been reared on knock-out rugby.
    >>>>>>
    “So it’s something that we’ve been involved in a lot, it doesn’t feel too different to other knock-out games I’ve been involved in and we should use our experiences there to guide us tomorrow.”

https://www.the42.ie/johnny-sexton-ireland-all-blacks-4-4856417-Oct2019/

When Ireland win tomorrow we know who to thank.
    Deccie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Forecast is rain, which would suit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭typhoony

kuang1 wrote: »
    Real sense of quiet before the storm this morning...
    Can't wait for tomorrow morning's entertainment.

I love this rendition of the Haka. The crowd's response was a perfect mix of defiance and respect imo.

I prefer our version...https://youtu.be/RjfVx5tYXLA

• Advertisement

If a Bundee Aki Samoa type tackle is perpetrated by a kiwi tomorrow do posters think Nigel and crew will have the cajones to show him red?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Here's how the Irish are going to respond to the haka on Saturday.

https://youtu.be/QQWvwWdo2Qk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Here's how the Irish are going to respond to the haka on Saturday.

https://youtu.be/QQWvwWdo2Qk

This is how to respond to the little dance. And then he backs it up by ripping them up for a try and creates another.

https://youtu.be/qaURdYJxnNY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't eat, I don't sleep, I do nothing but think of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why?

Rain hasn’t suited an Irish team since Declan Kidney. We beat NZ both times by playing hard, expansive and keeping the ball alive. Anyone who thinks we’re going to arm wrestle this lot just needs to look at the SA game. They’ll kick us off the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Cos it never rains in New Zealand? :confused:

raining currently there. Rain will suit us for once. We have looked a bit slow out of the blocks and on the ground. Yes handling will be tricky but it takes away a tad bit of threat.

Obviously they have rain as well but it changes the dynamics.

Its the same back and forth argument in November and July tests. the weather matters. It gives us a slight edge in the November tests imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I don't eat, I don't sleep, I do nothing but think of you.

I don't think about you at all
    </leaves elevator>

• Subscribers Posts: 40,560 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We play a game based on retaining possession... And having a secure set piece

Rain definitely does not suit us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

.ak wrote: »
    Why?

Rain hasn’t suited an Irish team since Declan Kidney. We beat NZ both times by playing hard, expansive and keeping the ball alive. Anyone who thinks we’re going to arm wrestle this lot just needs to look at the SA game. They’ll kick us off the park.

Seems to be a common thing in sport where people just assume that rain will be a "leveller" and suits the underdog, no matter who it is.

If anything the rain leads to more potential for errors, and increases the chances that individual and isolated moments of class will have a big bearing on the outcome - in other words it generally suits the better side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

?width=630&version=3819277

Lions 2005 first test is everything you need to know about NZ and rain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

like a kid before christmas, can't wait!

don't know how i'm going to sleep tonight...suppose i'll have to count sheep (kiwi sheep)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

fryup wrote: »
    like a kid before christmas, can't wait!

don't know how i'm going to sleep tonight...suppose i'll have to count sheep (kiwi sheep)

Count/kill tOmato tAmato..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Brewster

?width=630&version=3819277

Lions 2005 first test is everything you need to know about NZ and rain

I was there that night and boy did it rain, and hail along with it!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lads it pisses down as much in NZ than it does here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

Does it not show that it's a weak game plan if it's ruined by a bit of rain?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Does it not show that it's a weak game plan if it's ruined by a bit of rain?

It's not ruined. It's just harder to execute. But that can be said for both teams.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Lads it pisses down as much in NZ than it does here.

There's more of everything in NZ.

More rain.
    More sunshine.
    More offloads.
    More tries.
    More semis.
    More finals.
    More RWC trophies.

I'm sure I'll be reminded of some not so nice things there's more of :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

aloooof wrote: »
    It's not ruined. It's just harder to execute. But that can be said for both teams.

Hmmmm maybe. Are New Zealand depending on 2 players though? I think their threat is more widespread.

Basil3 wrote: »
    There's more of everything in NZ.

More rain.
    More sunshine.
    More offloads.
    More tries.
    More semis.
    More finals.
    More RWC trophies.

I'm sure I'll be reminded of some not so nice things there's more of :D

definitely more eggs......... womaaaan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Niallof9 wrote: »
    raining currently there. Rain will suit us for once. We have looked a bit slow out of the blocks and on the ground. Yes handling will be tricky but it takes away a tad bit of threat.

Obviously they have rain as well but it changes the dynamics.

Its the same back and forth argument in November and July tests. the weather matters. It gives us a slight edge in the November tests imo.

Rain is good for the Irish because it will hide their tears of humiliation as they crash out of another RWC quarter final.

Its not that rain suits us. We haven't been a rain team in donkeys years. But it does work in this type of match. This is do or die. I'm pretty certain we don't want an expansive match. Its trench warfare. Its much easier holding a wet ball as a one out runner at times. Pick and jams were invented for northern mucky rugby. We had trouble dealing with Japan's pace and width. Is that doable on a rainy day?

Like lads this is our hardest test ever. Its a hundred times tougher than the last two test wins against them.

• Advertisement

harsh

the irish team will take the field with these and it will be game over

mikasa.png

Advertisement