Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand vs Ireland RWC Quarter Final,19th October 2019 match thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Why do i feel we will be slaughtered? And with it some retirements. Notably the hunched Johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Plan on going to the pub for the game but if we win then I knw theres no going home for me after this game ha

Prob 2 pints and home back out again in the night

Out all day is awful expensive too

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I understand that sentiment. Personally I think this team should be happy they're even taking the field with the ABs. Let's face it, they were lucky to reach the quarter finals.

tumblr_ozvuxxjt791rpduwho1_400.gifv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why do i feel we will be slaughtered? And with it some retirements. Notably the hunched Johnny.

Because being slaughtered, while not the only possible outcome, is indeed a possibility, and on a spectrum from being slaughtered, through being beaten in a close game to winning a close game, you are by character, of a pessimistic, gloomy mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭nerd69

Hmmmm maybe. Are New Zealand depending on 2 players though? I think their threat is more widespread.

Honey beau beau goes down and nz drop off a lot I would say. Barrett and another big player ie ritchy m or Brody or savea go down and then I think this nz team are beatable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Naggdefy wrote: »
    New Zealand are marginally the most successful WC team. 3/8 WC victories, 37.5%.

South Africa next on 2/6 victories, 33%.

Australia on 2/8 victories, 25%.

England on 1/8 victories, 12.5 %.

New Zealand won 2 of their 3 WCs at home, 1987 and crawling over the line 8-7 v France in 2011. In 1991 they were destroyed by Australia in the semi. Got a dose of the scutters when heavy favourites in the 1995 final. Imploded twice against France in 1999 and 2007. Were bang average in the 2003 tournament.

These fellas are far from invincible in World Cups. To add to that it's New Zealand's main sport. Imagine if all GAA talent was channelled into rugby here. All Blacks me arse. It's all a myth. Take them on and test their fcuking pulse.

I approve of this message and the thinking behind it. Its 15 pros against 15 pros. No reason we cant beat them. Yeah_Right is just over compensating for serious match nerves. And can you blame him? It's a sign of respect really. The "ah bless, we wish you well" days are gone. Great, we love it. Bring it on YR. What have you got? Because I have no idea what we've got and that's the ace up our sleeve. Just you wait and see....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Ireland are getting smashed up tomorrow sans lube. End of story .

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Thankfully weather looks to be clearing up by kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭raclle

I'm so hyped and my nerves are shot. If we lose i'll be absolutely devastated.

We'll need to score tries so i assume Joe has some sort of attacking plan in place, right...right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

molloyjh wrote: »
    I approve of this message and the thinking behind it. Its 15 pros against 15 pros. No reason we cant beat them. Yeah_Right is just over compensating for serious match nerves. And can you blame him? It's a sign of respect really. The "ah bless, we wish you well" days are gone. Great, we love it. Bring it on YR. What have you got? Because I have no idea what we've got and that's the ace up our sleeve. Just you wait and see....

Come on. You know exactly what Ireland's got. Plan A..... Yep. That's it.

But you are right. After around 115 years, you're at the big boys table. We ain't taking it easy on you anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

30-30 draw, 44-44 after extra time, no sudden death scores as everybody's wrecked, we win on penos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

8-10 wrote: »
    30-30 draw, 44-44 after extra time, no sudden death scores as everybody's wrecked, we win on penos

Furlong with the winner off both posts and the crossbar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Getting nervous now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

It's been brought home to me that it's only a game folks.
    I will be attending a funeral at the kickoff time and I'm sure the family won't particularly give a **** about sport.
    I will still be avoiding radios and conversations so I can get home and watch the recording of ireland romping home, so enjoy your in game waffle. I'll be back for the celebratory thread

Edit: not trying to be superior or telling anyone to calm down, enjoy the banter, wish I was here for it too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

.ak wrote: »
    As soon as our faith was sealed in getting NZ in the Q4 I felt I lost any excitement/hope for a Q4 victory. It’s seems that way for a lot of other fans too. Hard to see anything but a sound NZ win here, anything else would be totally against the run of play.

Reading all the optimistic posts here have me getting nervous though.. damn you all.
    Our fate may have been sealed but lets not lose faith just yet.
    On their day Ireland can put any team to the sword.
    And in recent times we've played some of our best rugby against New Zealand.
    No reason why we can't do the same again tomorrow.
    And then it's up to the All Blacks and whether they've got what it takes to...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Hermy wrote: »
    Our fate may have been sealed but lets not lose faith just yet.
    On their day Ireland can put any team to the sword.
    And in recent times we've played some of our best rugby against New Zealand.
    No reason why we can't do the same again tomorrow.
    And then it's up to the All Blacks and whether they've got what it takes to...

Seriously. On their day Ireland can beat any other team but they can't put any team to the sword. It's simply not possible for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Maybe a bad choice of phrase but you get the idea.

EDIT: And we kept them tryless last time out so maybe not that bad a choice of phrase.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Brewster wrote: »
    I was there that night and boy did it rain, and hail along with it!

Me too .... it was bloody cold that night.

NeonWolf wrote: »
    Ireland are getting smashed up tomorrow sans lube. End of story .

There it is folks. Pack it all up. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

In the words of Kevin Keegan ' I will love it if we beat them'.

The last two victories I didn't feel like this but I've been pretty fed up read kiwi comments here, news reports telling us we have no hope and even air new Zealands advert they just released...at this point theyve become a proper shower...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

dub_skav wrote: »
    It's been brought home to me that it's only a game folks.
    I will be attending a funeral at the kickoff time and I'm sure the family won't particularly give a **** about sport.
    I will still be avoiding radios and conversations so I can get home and watch the recording of ireland romping home, so enjoy your in game waffle. I'll be back for the celebratory thread

Edit: not trying to be superior or telling anyone to calm down, enjoy the banter, wish I was here for it too

Sorry to hear that skav... I hope it's a day that you remember for both the bad and the good in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Anyone else a bit dispirited by the team being the safe / obvious selection?
    It's understandable why he picked the team he did but it just feels like hope more than a plan.
    The team have been very up and down this year but Joe hasn't seen fit to change any players.

Game plan seems to be that we somehow replicate what we did last year.
    Even one or two changes would suggest that he's identified some issue and fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    In the words of Kevin Keegan ' I will love it if we beat them'.

The last two victories I didn't feel like this but I've been pretty fed up read kiwi comments here, news reports telling us we have no hope and even air new Zealands advert they just released...at this point theyve become a proper shower...

Ah that ad was quality sledging. There’s some on here that are insufferable but most of it is just tongue in cheek stuff. We’ll be worse if we win, that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

vetinari wrote: »
    It's understandable why he picked the team he did but it just feels like hope more than a plan.
    The team have been very up and down this year but Joe hasn't seen fit to change any players.

Even one or two changes would suggest that he's identified some issue and fixed it.

Shocking selection, picking your best and proven players.

vetinari wrote: »

Fixed what though? In relation to this game I mean?
    Fixed what went wrong when we beat them 11 months ago?
    Or 3 years ago?
    Or what might well have beaten them twice 3 years ago only for NZ to have adopted a tactic of tackling us at shoulder height at every tackle. This resulted in Henshaw and Stander getting knocked out, Zebo getting clothes-lined were all instrumental in us losing to them in Dublin 2 weeks after Chicago.

World Rugby changed the rules of fair tackling after that game.

Apply today's rules to the past 5 years, and in my opinion we win the last 3 encounters with these guys.

They can't knock us out tomorrow. (well... They could but they'll be carded.)
    We won't lie down and have our tummies tickled.

We are their new bogey team.

Phuck it... Am I going to get any sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

We will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Hmmmm maybe. Are New Zealand depending on 2 players though? I think their threat is more widespread.

Richie and beaudie?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

stephen_n wrote: »
    Shocking selection, picking your best and proven players.

Sexton is a mess, he can't even kick penalties any more, Murray is completely lost in translation these days, henshaw hasn't even played rugby recently, other than Stockdale our back 3 couldn't beat their way out of a paper bag, Stander is a brutal 8, how O'Mahony is on this team beggars belief, Best will lose us all the lineouts. Otherwise we'll be grand

• Advertisement

Sexton is a mess, he can't even kick penalties any more, Murray is completely lost in translation these days, henshaw hasn't even played rugby recently, other than Stockdale our back 3 couldn't beat their way out of a paper bag, Stander is a brutal 8, how O'Mahony is on this team beggars belief, Best will lose us all the lineouts. Otherwise we'll be grand

Love it. :)

Advertisement