Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

They died over the summer so not rotavirus. Would have been around 6 months of age

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Maybe overkill here but I'll vaccinate all cow's with rotavec. Had bad years here with calves due to being locked up bad weather and split calving. Only lost one calf born alive this year and that was due to his mother standing on him. Had 3 stillborn and one backwards with the legs down I couldn't get out on time. I think going all spring helped as calves the sheds a chance as well as the rotavec.
    With regard to losing 8 of 30 it would depend on when they landed on farm. If they landed weaned and healthy there would be something wrong on the rearing farm I'd think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

no vaccinations here except blackleg, and ibr to cows. Has worked well the last 5 years

Got Rota here too for the first time, I'm some man on the stomach tube now tho. Still slow to vaccinate, as I think the silage was only middling and maybe feed at pre-calving better to improve colostrum. If they got something bad like Rota and wasn't on top of things, you could lose 8 alright

Once rotavirus is there it's hard to get rid of it . The vaccination is cheap when you've lost calves with it. It's normally late on in the calving season when it hits and too late to vaccinate then. I also think the rotavec helps to keep crypto away too. Always do them here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

maybe I'm a bit too sceptical but vaccinations really took off when brucellosis testing ceased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭straight

Be sure to head to the national dairy show in millstreet on Saturday. A day out for ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »
    Be sure to head to the national dairy show in millstreet on Saturday. A day out for ye

Hoping to get there, kids matches permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

What about the rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I wonder what calving interval you need for 100%?

The icbf report came in the post and the herd has a calving interval of 355 and it's in the 99% bracket.
    Pain in the arse they couldn't give 100%.
    Balls it anyway. :rolleyes: :D

The icbf report came in the post and the herd has a calving interval of 355 and it's in the 99% bracket.

Must try harder

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Must try harder

Lazy bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Lazy bull.

What's the calving spread? Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

was talking to a lad who has one of top bulls in ai station this year, was asking how he managed to push up his ebi each year, original line came from us so we were wondering what we were doing wrong, he put her in calf once she started bulling (21 after calving)

took to 1st serve, he was drying her off at 230 days:eek::eek: i was asking if it was profitable to be doing that to the whole herd.....it is if your getting over 10k for bull calves:eek::eek:

anyone use only international sires, worried about irish ebi system now seems a bit flawed, have a 16 yr old cow with 14 lactation and over 550kg avg and she has an ebi of 60 and top bulls in country are coming from cows that didnt even finish a full lactation???

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    What about the rugby?

Cows come before rugby. Besides the all blacks will not be beaten this time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭jaymla627

was talking to a lad who has one of top bulls in ai station this year, was asking how he managed to push up his ebi each year, original line came from us so we were wondering what we were doing wrong, he put her in calf once she started bulling (21 after calving)

took to 1st serve, he was drying her off at 230 days:eek::eek: i was asking if it was profitable to be doing that to the whole herd.....it is if your getting over 10k for bull calves:eek::eek:

anyone use only international sires, worried about irish ebi system now seems a bit flawed, have a 16 yr old cow with 14 lactation and over 550kg avg and she has an ebi of 60 and top bulls in country are coming from cows that didnt even finish a full lactation???

Mostly Canadian/American/Dutch bulls used here, never had any faith in ebi system and it no way correlates to the cow I need to breed to work in my system.....
    When you see the criteria and money spent by international ai companies selecting bulls and compare it to the Irish ebi computer says yes/no lucky dip I reckon the icbf and the likes of progressive cant believe they can get 20 odd euro a shot for semen of the latest and greatest hotshot high ebi bulls year in year out

The few cows going over the 365 knocked you back, I'd say.

'Must do better' is a bit harsh, though:pac:

The few cows going over the 365 knocked you back, I'd say.

'Must do better' is a bit harsh, though:pac:

:) it's a bit like the kids getting 19 out of 20 in their spelling test and instead of saying well done, you ask what 1 did you get wrong.

Mooooo wrote: »
    What's the calving spread? Well done

Not enough to blow about.

3 stars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

whelan2 wrote: »
    :) it's a bit like the kids getting 19 out of 20 in their spelling test and instead of saying well done, you ask what 1 did you get wrong.

They'll remember the one they got wrong more than the rest they got right!

It's human nature to remember the bad stuff more than the good stuff. I could tell you everything about a calf we lost to coccidiosis earlier this year but very little about the others who are hale and hearty. The mind is a funny old thing.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Cows come before rugby. Besides the all blacks will not be beaten this time

Not a fan of the Angus, or New Zealand either for that matter, whichever you're referring to.

I signaled this over a year ago.
    Dawg has to rear his own again...feck!

I thought you were an advocate of the flying herd. That's grand until cull cow value plummets and replacement prices rise. Not to mention disease. I think we all need to be more self sufficient in every way we can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I thought you were an advocate of the flying herd. That's grand until cull cow value plummets and replacement prices rise. Not to mention disease. I think we all need to be more self sufficient in every way we can

I was an advocate of the flying herd...until breeders copped on.
    I was able to buy freshly calved heifers for €800/900 a head and it was costing me €1500 to produce my own.
    There’s an old saying in the horsey circles...”fools breed, for clever men to buy”.

I am self sufficient in all forages and feed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There’s an old saying in the horsey circles...”fools breed, for clever men to buy”.

I've a cousin in the horsey business and he always maintained that the only men who make money in that game are the ones who never lay a hand on the horse.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I was an advocate of the flying herd...until breeders copped on.
    I was able to buy freshly calved heifers for €800/900 a head and it was costing me €1500 to produce my own.

I am self sufficient in all forages and feed.

I breed my own and do them as good as I can. Then I pick out the worst of them to sell to the likes of you. I wouldn't say it pays any better than your system though. Plenty work in replacements.

I breed my own and do them as good as I can. Then I pick out the worst of them to sell to the likes of you. I wouldn't say it pays any better than your system though. Plenty work in replacements.

Too much work in replacements...!

I wouldn’t even go and see a bunch of heifers for sale unless I get to pick. Likewise if there’s a whole herd for sale, and if I’m not the first to choose, I won’t bother going to look.
    Castoffs are a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Too much work in replacements...!

I wouldn’t even go and see a bunch of heifers for sale unless I get to pick. Likewise if there’s a whole herd for sale, and if I’m not the first to choose, I won’t bother going to look.
    Castoffs are a waste of time.

Maybe it's a numbers game as I never reared more than 30 replacements, but I always find them so little work and so easy and enjoyable, almost like being a beef father only with the prospect of mone. Check them every second or third day, open a wire to move them, handle them once or twice when they're out during the summer. Plenty good grass and silage and but of meal in the house and they'll be on target. I get great job satisfaction in breeding good stock for myself, and blame the AI companies for the duds!

Maybe it's a numbers game as I never reared more than 30 replacements, but I always find them so little work and so easy and enjoyable, almost like being a beef father only with the prospect of mone. Check them every second or third day, open a wire to move them, handle them once or twice when they're out during the summer. Plenty good grass and silage and but of meal in the house and they'll be on target. I get great job satisfaction in breeding good stock for myself, and blame the AI companies for the duds!

Ayr calving makes a bollix of it. Several different bunches of different ages...pita!

• Advertisement

Ayr calving makes a bollix of it. Several different bunches of different ages...pita!

Could you get away with 2 or 3 different calving periods? 6-8 weeks calving 2 or 3 times a year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement