Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Would imagine Kells will make light work of Ashbourne. They were very flat today, helped by an unforgivable amount of Curraha wides. Curraha were very sloppy all day long giving up easy possession after working it into good positions. Ashbourne also went 15 minutes of the 2nd half without scoring. Andy Colgans free taking gave them a decent lead that they never gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Hammer the Longwood relegation play off was on the same day as their hurling semi so it was postponed. Not sure if it's refixed yet. No surprise we went down, it's been coming for about four years now. Genuinely worried about the club to be honest, we must be the only area with a population boom that's gone backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

So Pat's and Rathkenny are relegated. Was the Longwood - Seneschalstown game postponed?
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne easily beat Curraha 1-13 to 0-9 in the senior Preliminary quarter final. Very interested to see how they get on against Gaeil Colmcille in the quarter final. They haven't set the world alight but they've only conceded an average of 11 points a game so far.
    Walterstown scraped by the Bracks in the IFC preliminary quarter final 10 points to 9. They'll play Nobber in the quarter final.

Senior hurling final will be between Kiltale and Kildalkey. Kiltale beat Trim 3-16 to 3-14 in a thriller. Kildalkey hammered Longwood 4-19 to 1-11.
    Intermediate final is between Dunderry and Clann na nGael after they beat Drumree and Gaeil Colmcille respectively.

Killyon won the Junior hurling championship by beating Dunboyne.
    And St. Pat's, in their first season back in adult hurling, are into the Junior 2 hurling championship. Hopefully that's a platform for them to keep improving.

I may sound miserable but those exact words were said in 2012 or so when Pat's "reformed" again, won a few handy junior titles against 2nd and 3rd teams and then disbanded when they started playing decent teams.

Fair play to them for keeping at it in an area without much of a hurling history, and it's also heartening to see them fielding along with St. Colmcilles up to U12. But it's not really a sustainable system they have going at the minute to just field for a few years before quitting when it gets tough.

I seem to recall Curraha also starting an U9/U10 hurling nursery about 10 years ago. I take it nothing more ever came of it.

That's a fair point Crab, just to note the Pats and Cilles played U8 or U10 Go Games against each other a couple of weeks back in hurling so the aim is to eventually have teams in each club. The combination teams train in Stamullen directly after my young lad's football team trains on a Wednesday and numbers are good. It will take another few years before it come through to some sort of sustainable adult team. At the moment I think the current Junior team is most of the lads from the last time we had one.

I see this morning that the county board have released a statement in relation to the chair stepping down. A higher power in the GAA is going to investigate the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

He was sent to "ride Slane" most young lads would love the chance, especially if ther is a concert on...don't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Any word on who will be the next hurling manager?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Donal Keogan, Conor McGill and Bryan Menton all receive All-Star nominations. First Meath nomination since Micky Newman in 2015 and first time since 2010 that we've received more than one nomination.
    Surprised to see Menton there but fair play to all three of them. They most likely won't receive an All Star but nice to see their good season get some kind of recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Donal Keogan, Conor McGill and Bryan Menton all receive All-Star nominations. First Meath nomination since Micky Newman in 2015 and first time since 2010 that we've received more than one nomination.
    Surprised to see Menton there but fair play to all three of them. They most likely won't receive an All Star but nice to see their good season get some kind of recognition.

I dont really rate Menton but he banged in a fair few goals for a midfielder tbf. Popped up with some lovely points too.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I dont really rate Menton but he banged in a fair few goals for a midfielder tbf. Popped up with some lovely points too.
    Yeah to be fair when you see that he's got 3-9, that's impressive.

Favourites Simonstown, Gaeil Colmcille and Summerhill through to the senior semi finals. I really, really hope all 4 get through....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Anyone no why paddy o rourke didnt line out for skyrne?

• Advertisement

O'Rourke must have been injured but I don't know for sure why he didn't play.
    But I couldn't believe how awful Skryne were. Honestly, we got a better game from Rathkenny. They just didn't show up in any way. Gives me a bit of confidence for the semi final as I'd wonder exactly how good/bad the rest of the teams in group A were.

Worrying that 3 of the 4 games were very one sided while I don't think Kells were exactly too troubled against Donaghmore/Ashbourne.

NFL Fixture list revealed. 3 home and 4 away unfortunately.

Round 1: Tyrone v Meath (away)
    Round 2: Meath v Donegal (home)
    Round 3: Meath v Mayo (home)
    Round 4: Kerry v Meath (away)
    Round 5: Meath v Galway (home)
    Round 6: Dublin v Meath (away)
    Round 7: Monaghan v Meath (away)

You'd be looking at the Galway home game and Monaghan away as our best chances (unless Monaghan dish out yet another hammering against us). Was hoping for Dublin early and in Navan for us to have a bit of a chance.
    Going to be exceptionally difficult to stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

O'Rourke must have been injured but I don't know for sure why he didn't play.
    But I couldn't believe how awful Skryne were. Honestly, we got a better game from Rathkenny. They just didn't show up in any way. Gives me a bit of confidence for the semi final as I'd wonder exactly how good/bad the rest of the teams in group A were.

Worrying that 3 of the 4 games were very one sided while I don't think Kells were exactly too troubled against Donaghmore/Ashbourne.

I was at the Donaghmore/Ashbourne vs Kells game and thought Kells were poor enough. I was surprised to hear they are one of the favorites for the Meath championship.

Their own discipline will be their undoing. They look like a team that if the opposition don’t fight with them, they’ll just fight each other! Donaghmore/Ashbourne quite negative in their tactics - surely they have a forward out of their six starters could kick a 21 metre free rather than bringing the keeper up?

Summerhill looked the most impressive team there to me. Looked a lot bigger than than Kells in terms of conditioning.

NFL Fixture list revealed. 3 home and 4 away unfortunately.

Round 1: Tyrone v Meath (away)
    Round 2: Meath v Donegal (home)
    Round 3: Meath v Mayo (home)
    Round 4: Kerry v Meath (away)
    Round 5: Meath v Galway (home)
    Round 6: Dublin v Meath (away)
    Round 7: Monaghan v Meath (away)

You'd be looking at the Galway home game and Monaghan away as our best chances (unless Monaghan dish out yet another hammering against us). Was hoping for Dublin early and in Navan for us to have a bit of a chance.
    Going to be exceptionally difficult to stay up.

It’s a pity the first game against Tyrone is away. The usually aim to peak around game 3 or 4 of the League so yas may have caught them on the hop at home. Can’t see that happening down there though.

I would expect the game vs Monaghan away at the end to be a relegation battle unless both of ye are going down. It’s unfortunate that it’s another away game for ye.

Will the game vs Dublin be in Croker under lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Massive reward on the line for staying up. And that is 4 home games the next year which will probably include Dublin and Kerry. Navan would be some craic for a Dublin meath match early in the year.

Clann na nGael won the Intermediate Hurling Championship 2-14 to 1-8 against Dunderry.

Seneschalstown were very nearly relegated. They needed 1-3 without reply in the last 10 minutes to see off Longwood 1-11 to 0-11.

Kildalkey just cannot seem to get over the line against Kiltale. 5 up with 3 minutes to go and they still needed a point with the last puck of the game to force a draw.

We will play the winners of Wicklow or Wexford in next year's Leinster quarter finals. In a change to the usual draw, they won't do the draw for the semi finals until after the quarter finals have been played. Presume it's so that no one knows if they're on Dublin's side of the draw when they play their quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

We will play the winners of Wicklow or Wexford in next year's Leinster quarter finals. In a change to the usual draw, they won't do the draw for the semi finals until after the quarter finals have been played. Presume it's so that no one knows if they're on Dublin's side of the draw when they play their quarter final.

Thats a strange one. I dont really see the benefit or reasoning behind that??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

There was me thinking we avoided dublin FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

snowgal wrote: »
    Thats a strange one. I dont really see the benefit or reasoning behind that??

I'd imagine counties hated knowing for months in advance that if you won your QF your reward was a tanking from Dublin. While I know in sport you're trying to go as far as you can and have to play the best,it would definitely be a shadow hanging over a team.

Alternatively it's so that Meath can accuse the GAA of bias and wanting Kildare in the Leinster final if Meath draw Dublin, and vice versa.

Be more craic if it was an FA cup style draw, have all the rounds on the same weekend and do the draw at the end of it. Actually like the qualifiers :D

Didn't realise that the first of the Junior Football semi finals was played at the weekend. Moylagh beat Dunsany 0-13 to 0-10 after extra time.
    Being a Dunsany supporter must be tough. They've lost so many Junior finals over the years and would have been promoted to the Intermediate championship regardless had they made the final this year.

How do we see the semi finals going this weekend? Can't see anything but a Simonstown win against Summerhill. Simonstown just seem to be peaking at the right time.
    Very hard to call the Kells v Ratoath game. If Ratoath can keep the likes of Mattimoe and Hanlon quiet, we have a great chance. On the other hand, the forwards can be quite inaccurate at times which just kills us in tight games. Think this will be the year Kells finally take the step to the final.

In the Intermediate, can see whoever wins the Oldcastle v Trim game winning the final. They should have enough to see off the winner of Nobber and Castleton. See it being an Oldcastle V Nobber final.

Ballivor should complete the Junior A final lineup and go back up to Intermediate unless they lose players for the hurling.

Junior B semi finals sees Kilbride v Boardsmill and Slane v Ratoath. Hoping Kilbride can finally win an adult title again for the first time in nearly 50 years (their last senior title). Obviously assuming that we don't win it ourselves.

Draw game in the first IFC semi final between Nobber and Castletown 2-10 to 1-13.
    Cracking game. Nobber were 3 down and a man down at half time with Ross missing a penalty for Castletown. But they dominated most of the second half and went 4 up with around 5 minutes left. Then they seemed to retreat into their shell and Kevin Ross equalized with a free 4 minutes into injury time (Nobber got a second red card shortly before). Castletown had a chance to win it with a free by the touch line but didn't have the accuracy. Extra time to come with Nobber back to 15.

Nobber pulled away in extra time to win by 4.
    Cracking game in the senior semi final too. Summerhill with a late goal and a point to win by 2.
    And to prove I know feck all, Clann na nGael beat Ballivor in the Junior semi final by 3 points to go back up to intermediate.

Local derby between Ratoath and Kilbride in the Junior B final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Surprised how bad the crowd is in Dublin SFC QFs. You would see better in a Carlow club hurling game. Whats happening?

Fcuking YES!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Fcuking YES!!! :D

Nice one hammer. Best of luck in the final. Haven't been to a county final in years, but I'm going to this one and rooting for Ratoath.
    Thanks as usual for the updates.

• Advertisement

Fair play Hammer, wasn't expecting that to be honest.

Advertisement