Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Do they get that much in their first year? Very hard to turn it down if you're a young lad.

Yep. Tadgh Kennelly's interview is from 4 years ago but I think it's pretty much the same. I've heard some people criticise younger players for making the switch, but unless you're playing for Dublin or perhaps Kerry, the choice between earning a huge amount as a teenager (which has the potential of becoming astronomical if you make it) and living in Australia and playing football for nothing in Ireland would be an easy one.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-28/truck-of-the-irish-takeover-continues-with-record-number
    https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/the-salary-of-an-afl-player-is-pretty-nice-and-the-irish-are-being-well-looked-after-21483

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I agree with the above and if it was my son I would be advising him to go and take advantage.

But I care absolutely zilch about how he gets on as I have no interest in that sport just as the average Aussie rules supporter has zero interest in our games. Just like I lost interest in Meath prospects that gave up and went on to play rugby.

I am much more interested in the progress and development of players like Shane Walsh, Joey Wallace, Jordan Morris, Aaron Lynch, James Conlon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Do they get that much in their first year? Very hard to turn it down if you're a young lad.

Someone posted the ins and out of the various deals on the Kerry forum last year. The Aussie Dollar exchange rate to the Euro is 1.61 today so the deal is slightly worse in terms of Euros. Given the deals on offer I don't think there will be any change in terms of Irish lads heading over any time soon. I'm nearly sure there is a Combine in DCU either this weekend or next - Ruane the Mayo midfielder is supposed to be going to the combine.
    The reason that the number of Irish going the Aussie Rules route has increased the last while looks to be due to the fact that the salaries at all levels have increased dramatically in the last few years.

The rules were tweaked a bit so that international rookies salaries don't count towards the team's salary cap, which made it a more attractive for clubs to sign international rookies.

The AFL negotiates a collective bargaining agreement with the Aussie Rules Players Union and these agreements are easily available.

The following are the minimum rookie salaries as agreed in the collective bargaining agreements.

These are in Australian dollars

2012 41,400
    2013 49,200
    2014 53,825
    2015 56,275
    2016 57,940
    2017 71,500
    2018 75,000
    2019 75,000
    2020 80,000
    2021 80,000
    2022 85,000

Using today's exchange rate of 1.5447 the table would look like the following in Euros.

2012 €26,801
    2013 €31,850
    2014 €34,844
    2015 €35,890
    2016 €36,965
    2017 €46,287
    2018 €48,553
    2019 €48,553
    2020 €51,789
    2021 €51,789
    2022 €55,026

Clear to see that the salaries have gone up significantly.

Two big things to remember
    1) the base salary is only part of the pie
    2) these are the absolute minimums that the worst-paid are getting. Once you go past the rookie stage, the salaries on offer jump up significantly.

For any of the rookies who signed recently and are starting in 2019 they will all have a two year contract.

They will receive

All relocation costs and "Player and Parents Travel" - basically whatever it costs to move out including flights.

They also get "Reimbursement for the cost of any household item reasonably required by the Player in setting up living arrangements as a result of being relocated " up to the amount of $6,515 (or €4,218)

They also get "Living allowance based on actual costs up to the following limit, excluding FBT which is to be borne by the AFL Club" FBT is tax so this looks like it is tax free.

2018 $10,686 (€6,918)
    2019 $10,900 (€7,056)

I'd imagine that this is mainly for rent, food, clothes, transport - basically €14k to cover that for the two years.

From my reading, it also looks like each player is entitled to four return economy flights per year.

The collective bargaining agreement also makes reference to pensions - not sure exactly how much if anything this is worth but the AFL must pay €15 million (€9.7 million per year) to fund these.

AFL teams must provide "top-level" health insurance to players, there's also payments if a player is on the injured list.

If a rookie player makes appearances for the senior team they also get guaranteed match fees - I think Mark O'Connor would have pocketed an extra $12,000 (€7,768) for his 6 appearances with the first team this year.

There's also other bits and pieces - free tickets to games including Grand Finals, anything that's needed for training covered by the club, there's a whole weird section covering players getting paid for signing memorabilia, bonuses for best and fairest, bonuses for getting to the final four, but those are less relevant as regards lads who just go and do the initial 2 year contract.

Any of the lads who are starting in 2019, do a two-year stint and don't even play for the seniors will get

Salary 2019 $75,000 €48,553
    Salary 2020 $80,000 €51,790
    Salary Total $155,000 €100,343

They also get
    Relocation Costs - all covered
    Setting Up Living Cost $6,515 €4,218

Living Allowance 2019 $10,686 €6,918
    Living Allowance 2020 $10,900 €7,056
    Total living Allowance $21,586 €13,974

8 economy return flights to Ireland

Plus other bits and bobs.

If people don't think that's an attractive option for lads of 19/20, I don't know what to say.

Once a player goes past the rookie stage (basically past the first 2 years) i.e. like Mark O'Connor the absolute minimum they can make in base salary in 2019 is $105,000 (€67,979) However I'd imagine this is very much the lowest possible starting point for negotiations.

9 players made more than $1,000,000 (€647,375) in 2017 with 2 players earning more than $1.2 million (€776,850) and the average salary in 2017 was $352,470 (€228,180) More than half of the AFL's players earned between $200,000(€129,475) and $500,000 (€323,687) 135 players earned more than $500,000 (€323,687) It's clear there is a significant amount of money on offer if a player does "make it".

Agreement 2017-2022

www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-22/player-payments-revealed-millionaires-on-the-up

Nobber beaten by Dunlavin in the Leinster Intermediate Club football championship.
    Clann na nGael are through to the Leinster junior club football championship semi final after beating Ballynacargy of Westmeath by 5 points.
    Hoping for a second Meath victory over Westmeath opposition tomorrow when Ratoath play Garrycastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Meath club dumped out early yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Meaths deplorable recent run in the Leinster Club SFC continues. Really had high hopes for Ratoath but the damage was done in the first half following the text of the game. Does anyone have any theories as to why we can't get passed the 1st round?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Meaths deplorable recent run in the Leinster Club SFC continues. Really had high hopes for Ratoath but the damage was done in the first half following the text of the game. Does anyone have any theories as to why we can't get passed the 1st round?

Too many clubs? For example, in the Kells area ya have Drumbaragh, Kilmainham, Gaeil Colmcille, abd then plenty of others nearby like the Michaels and the Ultans.

It’s diluting the pool of talent for teams.

There are 61 active clubs in Meath and only 22 in Longford where Mullinaghta won Leinster from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Too many clubs? For example, in the Kells area ya have Drumbaragh, Kilmainham, Gaeil Colmcille, abd then plenty of others nearby like the Michaels and the Ultans.

It’s diluting the pool of talent for teams.

There are 61 active clubs in Meath and only 22 in Longford where Mullinaghta won Leinster from last year.

Well we have 5 times the population of Longford so it'd make sense to have more clubs. (We've 52 football clubs in any case).

Plus the winners of the last 5 Meath championships have been from towns with populations dwarfing Mullinalaghta, so I'm not sure if we can use that as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Well we have 5 times the population of Longford so it'd make sense to have more clubs. (We've 52 football clubs in any case).

Plus the winners of the last 5 Meath championships have been from towns with populations dwarfing Mullinalaghta, so I'm not sure if we can use that as an excuse.

Look tipperary in hurling is the same, huge team intercounty wise have had very little succes at club level think 3 all irelands in total

Meath would be the football equivalent in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Look tipperary in hurling is the same, huge team intercounty wise have had very little succes at club level think 3 all irelands in total

Meath would be the football equivalent in my opinion

Tipp's haul is plentiful compared to Meath. In 50 years we've 0 All Irelands, 4 Leinsters, and only 2 more Leinster final appearances!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Tipp's haul is plentiful compared to Meath. In 50 years we've 0 All Irelands, 4 Leinsters, and only 2 more Leinster final appearances!

I get shot down regularly in clare for suggesting that it is easier to win in hurling then football, for all tipperarys all irelands at inter County they have only a few club all irelands

In football even the hurling counties take the club football championship seriously, this weekend alone nemo rangers were pushed all the way by the limerick champions, yesterday mullinavat beat the Dublin intermediate champions

My overall point is in some counties it is just taking more seriously then others, and literally anything can happen in club games especially this time of year

Naive performance from us yesterday. Just seemed to trust our forwards while neglecting our defence. Didn't help that we were missing McMahon and Gillespie. On top of that we were facing a vastly experienced side who have played a competitive game since winning their final while we still seemed to be a bit hungover. I'd hope that we can learn a lot from that game though. Generally, we've done well in open games but we just came up against a much higher quality and more experienced team yesterday and conceded silly goals at the worst possible times.

As for Meath teams' performances in Leinster, I think there's a few reasons. Firstly, while I feel the quality of our senior football championship might not be great, its competitiveness compared to a lot of other counties is near the top. In the last 10 years, we've had 6 different winners with 11 different finalists. Compare that to Westmeath who've had 3 different champions and 5 different finalists in 10 years. In Kildare, 9 of the last 10 championships have been won by Moorefield or Sarsfields.
    Also, the Meath club season is just way too long. It's over 6 months from the first championship game to the final. I'd say for a lot of sides, winning the county title is the peak of their season and they don't really care about the provincial championship after that. I'd hope that will change from next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

As for Meath teams' performances in Leinster, I think there's a few reasons. Firstly, while I feel the quality of our senior football championship might not be great, its competitiveness compared to a lot of other counties is near the top.

Its competitive because theres no stand out teams , just 5 or 6 above average teams , and its down to whoever on the day is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Any word on additions or changes to the panel for next year?
    I would assume the lads are back training, or in some form of pre season / gym work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Obrieski wrote: »
    Any word on additions or changes to the panel for next year?
    I would assume the lads are back training, or in some form of pre season / gym work?

The We Are Meath Patreon podcast has it this week. I forget them all but two I remember are the chap from Galway that plays with O'Mahonys is in. So is a chap from Longwood Hugo Henry (I think Henry was his second name) he's a goalkeeper has played soccer with Dundalk too.

Other names coming to mind are Jack O'Connor and Toner from Curraha, Morris from Nobber, Caolach Halligan, Donal Lenihan and Brian Conlan are also back in. There's a few more but names escape me.

Adam Flanagan, Marcus Brennan and Shane Glynn have left the panel. I think there was one more name as well but I can't remember (again)

Think Biggy is gone.

It wasn't mentioned Hammer but they did say that there were rumours of others and they'd not name names till it was confirmed. Judging from Instagram Mickey Burke is still in, which I'm a bit suprised at

Out of interest, is the paid We Are Meath podcast worth it?

I think it is so far it's five dollars a month (the platform they use is American) and you get two or three a week. For example over the knock out rounds of the championship they had one podcast of about 45 minutes to an hour for each grade. They have player interviews etc on it too and to be fair to the lads they know their club scene. It will be interesting to see how they manage it now the games are winding down, they have said already they'll have Seamus Kenny on soon and it sounds like they will be looking to line up some former players too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Think Biggy is gone.

Great servant to Meath. I always remember the day in Drogheda the Louth boy basically spent the whole game right on top of him and wouldnt go for the ball but just concentrated on Biggy. It was so pathetic.

One question, will there be anyone playing in the Leinster championship next year, apart from Dublin of course, who has a Leinster SFC medal. Perhaps Ross Munnelly if he continues on?

Pretty depressing - not sure if that is the case in any other province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

rpurfield wrote: »
    The We Are Meath Patreon podcast has it this week. I forget them all but two I remember are the chap from Galway that plays with O'Mahonys is in. So is a chap from Longwood Hugo Henry (I think Henry was his second name) he's a goalkeeper has played soccer with Dundalk too.

Other names coming to mind are Jack O'Connor and Toner from Curraha, Morris from Nobber, Caolach Halligan, Donal Lenihan and Brian Conlan are also back in. There's a few more but names escape me.

Adam Flanagan, Marcus Brennan and Shane Glynn have left the panel. I think there was one more name as well but I can't remember (again)

Players called up to the Meath panel. These players have been definatly called up
    Donal Lenihan, Jack O Connor, David Toner , Oisin O Brien , Brian Conlon , Paddy Kennelly , Jordan Morris , Thomas Murtagh , Matthew Costello, Caolach Halligan and Harry Hogan.

Players dropped from Meath panel
    eg Marcus Brennan , Adam Flanagan , Shane Glynn, Sean Curran, Daragh McGovern, Thomas McGovern and Owen McDonnell.

Just regards Marcus Brennan he is no longer part of the playing panel , but he is now part of the goalkeeper coaching team.
    I think player people might not know is Harry Hogan. He is longwood Under 21 goalie and Dundalk under 19 soccer goalie. Clearly Gary Rodgers would have drawn him to the attention of the management. He is very highly thought of in Dundalk. And this how Donegal found Patton , who is one best gaa goalies in the country now. Patton was a soccer goalie with Derry City, he was brought onto Donegal panel and he became an excellent gaelic football goalie. Hogan is probaly replacing Marcus Brennan as a choice for goalie. Oisin O Brien playing for O Mahoney played for Galway in FBD last year.

Mickey Burke and Graham Reilly, have not been dropped , they were told go back to their clubs, and depending on form they could be called up again.

According to the Meath chronicle, players they expecting to feature also are Eamon Wallace, Joey Wallace, Cian O Brien, Daithi McGowan, Gavin McGowan, Sean Reilly, Jason Scully, Robyn Clarke, Niall Hickey and Daragh Griffin. While Ronan Jones will be back next May from the US, so he could be an option for the championship.
    I wonder will Ruari O Coilean, Alan Forde be called up also.

What I notice, Kennelly, McGowans, Conlon and Jones will help around the middle, we are a small team , who lack big men around the middle. This is leads to problems with kickout, we lack high fielders and physicality around the middle. Also player like Morris and O Connor are able to win ball, bigger forwards then lighter pacy forwards we have developed in recent years. Its noticeable allot of the new players are forwards. We need more in this area of the field. A forward line of Lenihan, Walsh and Newman would be my first choice for me with pacy forwards like J Wallace and Conlon as impact subs as well as Dardis or T O Reilly or maybe Morris.

There seems to be quite allot of players in the frame that were missing last year coz of travelling, working,studying abroad or long term injury or took the year out. Allot of these returnees are still relatively young , experienced inter county players who when last on the panel were starting. I definatly feel the depth and strenght of the panel is stronger next year, and I think that will keep us in div 1. The first 3 games are massive, 2 of them at home. If you look at teams who stayed in div 1 eg Monaghan 2015 ( won 2 of their first 3 games) , Roscommon 2016( won 2 of their first 3 games) and Galway 2017 ( won their 3 first games), an early good start is essential. The top teams can be vulnerable in the first few rounds , after week 3 or 4 , things really hot up in div 1. Games v Donegal and Mayo in Navan in week 2 and week 3 are massive , and of course if we could get victory in Omagh, that would be brillant. 6 points is the magic number, 6 points , 97% of the time keeps you up in div 1. I cannot wait for the league, its a massive league for Meath and if we go down , I still think we go back up in 2021. But the question is will we yo yo between div 1 and 2 like Cavan, Roscommon and kildare are will stay in div 1 like Monaghan and Galway. We havent put two seasons back to back in division 1 since 1996 1997 1998. Incredbile when you think of it. Stay in division for 2 or 3 seasons, well its obvious your team will break into top 6 in the country. Next 24 months are massive for McEntee and allot of the players who are now peaking from the 2012 minor team and players who debuted in 2012 , 2013, 2014 leinster final seasons.

Regards wearemeath podcast, it very good, lads are very likeable, very knowledgable and very fair. Good content and can sometimes well over an hour, 2 or 3 podcasts a week. Probaly going to be quite in coming weeks, but in Jan worth a listen.

rpurfield wrote: »
    I think it is so far it's five dollars a month (the platform they use is American) and you get two or three a week. For example over the knock out rounds of the championship they had one podcast of about 45 minutes to an hour for each grade. They have player interviews etc on it too and to be fair to the lads they know their club scene. It will be interesting to see how they manage it now the games are winding down, they have said already they'll have Seamus Kenny on soon and it sounds like they will be looking to line up some former players too.

Thanks RP, actually signed up for it there so will report back when I listen to a few of the shows. Happy to throw the lads a fiver a month.

How come Meath are getting a new jersey? Did they change sponsor again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Cavan_King wrote: »
    How come Meath are getting a new jersey? Did they change sponsor again?

Fairly certain we’ve had this jersey for 2 years

Clann na nGael upset the odds with a late penalty to beat Ballymore Eustace in the Leinster junior club semi final 2-8 to 1-10. They'll play either Rathgarogue/Cushinstown of Wexford or Shannonbridge of Offaly in the final. They've got to be in with a good shout of winning club of the year.

Footballers league fixtures are (finally) out:

Tyrone (A), Sunday January 26th, 2pm
    Donegal (H), Sunday February 2nd, 2:30pm
    Mayo (H), Sunday February 9th, 2pm
    Kerry (A), Sunday February 23rd, 1pm
    Galway (H), Sunday March 1st, 2:30pm
    Dublin (A), Sunday March 15th, 2pm
    Monaghan (A), Sunday March 22nd, 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Welcome to Division 1 folks.

That'll put hair on yer chests ! ;)

Fairly certain we’ve had this jersey for 2 years

Normally 3 years I think.

Footballers league fixtures are (finally) out:

Tyrone (A), Sunday January 26th, 2pm
    Donegal (H), Sunday February 2nd, 2:30pm
    Mayo (H), Sunday February 9th, 2pm
    Kerry (A), Sunday February 23rd, 1pm
    Galway (H), Sunday March 1st, 2:30pm
    Dublin (A), Sunday March 15th, 2pm
    Monaghan (A), Sunday March 22nd, 2pm

Our 3 home games are going to be so crucial.
    If we manage to beat Donegal and Mayo it gives us a fighting chance.
    Don't forget we ran Donegal ultra close in the league twice this year, and arguably should have won both games. Mayo beat us easily enough, in the end, this year too but they'll be another year older whereas we seem to have more younger lads coming through.

Other winnable games would be the Galway and Monaghan games too you would feel.

Pity Dublin game isn't in Navan too I suppose! :cool:

• Advertisement

Think the Dublin and Kerry games are write offs at the very least.
    Had we gotten Dublin very early we may have been able to give them a game without most of their first team, but not a chance in March.
    Have to be targeting at least two wins from our home games along with the Monaghan game in Clones (please god let us not capitulate against them like we did a number of years ago).

But sure feck it! We're in division 1 where we've been looking to get to for over 10 years and we're odds on to finish bottom so anything better than that would be a bonus.

Advertisement