Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

py wrote: »
    For the actual DCM, I think getting on with it is going to be my approach. For non event runs which have been wet and/or windy I've been wearing this jacket from Decathlon which has served me well but I'm not sure how it perform at PMP for me during DCM in terms of overheating.

My only other potential concern is the extra chaffing that comes with the additional weight in running clothes from the rain. Whilst you would expect your upper body attire to be sweat ridden, your shorts typically won't be as bad so this could potentially add extra chaffing. If the weather is looking grim for the day, I'll be adding extra anti chaffing cream to my race pack. I've carried an emergency supply of anti chaffing cream on long cycles in a kinder egg toy container. :P

I think that planning for any eventuality, no matter how unlikely, is the sensible thing to do. Heavy rain for a few hours is a total game changer. Lash the Vaseline or anti chaffing on. I never suffer with upper body or nipple chaffing. I only rarely have suffered from it on the upper inner thighs. However last year I went on a long run where it rained constantly and I ended up with the dreaded bloody nipples and also a serious chaffing in numerous areas around the shorts! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

really hope the weather is identical to last years DCM!
    even today was tough going in the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

First LSR in the rain when it rained the entire time nearly - felt quite defeated, and wondering how to cope in the rain for an entire day (aside from just get on with it.. . any tips guys)? Hate extra layers - I find I heat up so much

If you do wear an extra layer or two, attach your race number to the inner-most layer. You'll likely end up discarding the additional layers as the race progresses, so this will avoid unnecessary messing with the number.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Today is my first full day of maranoia/taper madness.....

Just wondering if there's a recommended time prior to a marathon to get a physio rub down?? :confused::confused:

Was about to make a booking for next Monday but then got thinking that I'd probably want one then again the following Monday :rolleyes:

I'd think you'd be ok with next Monday and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Hi!
    Ive a question regarding the pacers for dcm

Im in wave 3, even though i indicated a 4:30 finish time (even though im now looking at 4:40ish finish).. but the 4:30 pacer is in wave 4.

Id prefer to start in wave 3 as it start time is earlier, will i just hang to the very back ? I like to start at a slow pace anyway so it might suit me? Any tips/concerns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

kulekat wrote: »
    Hi!

Im in wave 3, even though i indicated a 4:30 finish time (even though im now looking at 4:40ish finish).. but the 4:30 pacer is in wave 4.

Id prefer to start in wave 3 as it start time is earlier, will i just hang to the very back ? I like to start at a slow pace anyway so it might suit me? Any tips/concerns?

What you describe sounds fine. There's 20 minutes between the waves, and by the time the back of wave 3 goes over the line it'll be probably less than 10 minutes until the start of wave 4. So you're dropping the opportunity to run with a pacing group to save 10 minutes. If you end up running ~4:40 then you'll probably be caught up by the 4:30 pacers and you could use them to pace you along, which could work well if you start off slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    What exactly are you looking to set up on the watch?
    Using it for a run should be pretty straight forward?
    Are you looking to sync Garmin connect with strava?

Hey Mr Guappa, so I think I was just getting contrary as it wasn't a touch screen like my fitbit and I had to sit down with it properly to do it :D

But I've done it now got it connected to strava, and my screen set up so I can see my actual pace and avg pace too, so all good :):)

Mentors, I think Huzah suggested a 5.15 finish time - I'm just wondering If I'm aiming for around that mark, is starting off with the 5.00 pacers a good or bad idea? I'm happy to let them go on if I'm struggling, but not sure if it's better to start with them or not. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

For the actual DCM, I think getting on with it is going to be my approach. For non event runs which have been wet and/or windy I've been wearing this jacket from Decathlon which has served me well but I'm not sure how it perform at PMP for me during DCM in terms of overheating.

My only other potential concern is the extra chaffing that comes with the additional weight in running clothes from the rain. Whilst you would expect your upper body attire to be sweat ridden, your shorts typically won't be as bad so this could potentially add extra chaffing. If the weather is looking grim for the day, I'll be adding extra anti chaffing cream to my race pack. I've carried an emergency supply of anti chaffing cream on long cycles in a kinder egg toy container. :P
    my nipples are in bits after doing a 30km run after work. i normally wear cream, but forgot to put it on. it was wet and windy that didn't help...

moral of the story always wear cream...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hey Mr Guappa, so I think I was just getting contrary as it wasn't a touch screen like my fitbit and I had to sit down with it properly to do it :D

But I've done it now got it connected to strava, and my screen set up so I can see my actual pace and avg pace too, so all good :):)

Mentors, I think Huzah suggested a 5.15 finish time - I'm just wondering If I'm aiming for around that mark, is starting off with the 5.00 pacers a good or bad idea? I'm happy to let them go on if I'm struggling, but not sure if it's better to start with them or not. Thanks!

Twas Mr G's suggestion but I agree. Do not start with the 5hour guys. I know it means you're foregoing a pacer but you'll be better off. In fact, our recommendations are for most people to start slower than their target time and to pick up the pace later on in the course (around halfway) if you're feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

ted1 wrote: »
    my nipples are in bits after doing a 30km run after work. i normally wear cream, but forgot to put it on. it was wet and windy that didn't help...

Tape/plasters are best for your nips. :p:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭marathon19

I've always used Vaseline, works perfect as well

I’ve tried them and they don’t stick. Usually the decathlon anti chaffing is grand. But you need to actually apply it for it to work !!

I've been trying to come up with some sort of basic race strategy with regards to pacing times. Below is what I've got thus far but would like some feedback based on a sub 4 attempt. Trying to keep it as simple as possible so I don't need a PHD in Maths to remember/adjust my plan on the fly.
    • 5:45min/Km up until Walkinstown Roundabout (end of 24Km)
    • 5:30min/Km up until Ashton's Pub in Clonskeagh (end of 33Km)
    • TBDmin/Km for 33-End

I don't want to plan for the last section as racing at that distance is an unknown for me. The paces for the first 33Km, if I run to that plan, give me a shot at a sub 4. I feel I'll just need to see how the legs feel if/when they hit that wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Singer wrote: »
    kulekat wrote: »
    Hi!

What you describe sounds fine. There's 20 minutes between the waves, and by the time the back of wave 3 goes over the line it'll be probably less than 10 minutes until the start of wave 4. So you're dropping the opportunity to run with a pacing group to save 10 minutes. If you end up running ~4:40 then you'll probably be caught up by the 4:30 pacers and you could use them to pace you along, which could work well if you start off slow.

That sounds like a good plan Py, thank you. Does it get insanely busy at the back of the waves with "unknowns' like me? Im sure it takes a while for the pace to build to steady pace with the congestion anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2 flahouh79

Hi all, sorry posted this in the random questions thread but been lurking here for a few months and found it very useful/insightful so thought I'd post my question here too.

Training for Dublin Marathon this year, my first, but had a question about HR tracking.

Am using the Garmin Forerunner 235 watch. On easy runs I tend to average around 130-140, Tempo 140-160 and then the end of long runs can spike high enough.

On an easy run (with hills today) I felt completely ok but my average was 175 and Max was 203. I've gotten the once over from a doc a few weeks ago who actually did a quick ECG and he said all was good. Could just be accumulated tiredness over last few weeks training?

Thinking of just ignoring it during the Marathon as it's more anxiety inducing than anything else when i look down and it's 170+ and in max zone.

Anyone any thoughts or experience with accuracy of the Forerunner 235?

I'm male, 34 and been running relatively consistently for the last year (5k 19:50, 10k 42, HM 1:31) - plan on pushing it in DCM with the 3:20 pacers

I've been trying to come up with some sort of basic race strategy with regards to pacing times. Below is what I've got thus far but would like some feedback based on a sub 4 attempt. Trying to keep it as simple as possible so I don't need a PHD in Maths to remember/adjust my plan on the fly.
    • TBDmin/Km for 33-End

I don't want to plan for the last section as racing at that distance is an unknown for me. The paces for the first 33Km, if I run to that plan, give me a shot at a sub 4. I feel I'll just need to see how the legs feel if/when they hit that wall.

I know you are trying to keep it as simple as possible but that's a bit too simple I think. Miles 2-7 (or 3-11kms) should be run more conservatively than 5:45. Likewise you can pick up the pace a bit from Castleknock College to Chapelizod gate before easing again from Chapelizod Village to Kilmainham.

flahouh79 wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry posted this in the random questions thread but been lurking here for a few months and found it very useful/insightful so thought I'd post my question here too.

Training for Dublin Marathon this year, my first, but had a question about HR tracking.

Am using the Garmin Forerunner 235 watch. On easy runs I tend to average around 130-140, Tempo 140-160 and then the end of long runs can spike high enough.

On an easy run (with hills today) I felt completely ok but my average was 175 and Max was 203. I've gotten the once over from a doc a few weeks ago who actually did a quick ECG and he said all was good. Could just be accumulated tiredness over last few weeks training?

Thinking of just ignoring it during the Marathon as it's more anxiety inducing than anything else when i look down and it's 170+ and in max zone.

I'm male, 34 and been running relatively consistently for the last year (5k 19:50, 10k 42, HM 1:31) - plan on pushing it in DCM with the 3:20 pacers

A chest strap gives much more accurate readings. I wouldn't put too much store on outlier values on one given day with a wrist based monitor.

I never pay attention to HR during a race. I wear the strap but only to allow me to have the information afterwards. I haven't worn the strap on a marathon because I feared it might be another chaffing risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭passinginterest

flahouh79 wrote: »

We’d be in similar ranges HR wise for those paces. I use a 235 too. Mines been elevated my last few runs because I’ve been struggling with a cold but nothing that extreme. I’d be thinking that’s an anomaly with the watch, assuming you didn’t feel much different? HR that high on an easy run would definitely be physically noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭passinginterest

• TBDmin/Km for 33-End

I posted this a few weeks ago, still what I think I’ll go with if all is well on the day. I know it’s per mile rather than km pace but it does account for hills etc. Might be useful;

I’ve been tinkering with a pace plan, looking at a few calculators including the Garmin pacepro. I’m thinking something like this;
    9.20, 9.20, 9.29, 9.20, 9.22, 9.20, 9.20, 9.01, 8.58, 9.05, 9.10, 9.06, 9.08 (Half 2.00.58) 9.12, 9.06, 9.01, 9.06, 8.57, 8.56, 8.56, 9.02, 9.05, 8.48, 8.51, 9.00, 9.01 (Finish 3.58.54)
    Gives a bit of leeway if the pickup isn’t quiet there for the last 4 miles and the extra distance.

Hope you're all enjoying the tapir folks ;).

Best of luck with those long runs over the weekend. It wasn't so long ago that 12 and 14 miles were daunting distances - now we think of them as short runs :eek:. If you haven't yet nailed down your race day fuelling and gear, then use this weekend's LSR to do just that. So, your meal the night before, breakfast on the morning, as well as running shoes, shorts and top for this weekends LSR should all be a dry run for what you intend to do on marathon day.

It might also be a good idea to practice carrying the number of gels or whatever fueling you'll use on marathon day. Last year I got a surprise on marathon day with the weight and bulk of carrying 6-7 gels on my person as it wasn't something I'd practised.

For both plans, this will be your last double-digit run until D-Day! 12 or 14 miles might be shorter than we've ran recently, but it's still a significant distance, so don't under-estimate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ted1 wrote: »

Someone way back up the thread recommended these -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/NipEaze-Transparent-Protector-Prevention-Ultra-Marathon/dp/B007II2R44/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=nipease&psc=1&qid=1570829846&sr=8-2

An essential piece of kit imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭marathon19

https://youtu.be/k-XgKRJUEgQ

Live stream of kipchoge trying to run the marathon in under 2 hours,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

marathon19 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/k-XgKRJUEgQ

Live stream of kipchoge trying to run the marathon in under 2 hours,

Been watching since the start....awesome stuff so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Sorbet

It's so compelling. Last kilometre is going to unbearable to watch. Get on it asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Sorbet wrote: »
    It's so compelling. Last kilometre is going to unbearable to watch. Get on it asap

This is looking good. The consistency of that pace is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sorbet wrote: »

This is looking good. The consistency of that pace is incredible

What a legend!!!

Bit of motivation now for my LSR:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

What a legend!!!

Bit of motivation now for my LSR:D

Mines done this morn, Beer me :D

DeepBlue wrote: »

I reckon I’d need to wax my chest first. I’ll stick with the cream. But thanks for the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

I missed Eliud's magic marathon whilst out on my LSR - for now though ye will have to trust me that i got the miles done as I left my phone in work so no updates on strava until my watch is reunited with my phone when I get back to work on Wednesday. It also meant that I had no music to listen to for my run this morning - just me and my maranoid thoughts for company! I also misjudged the distance and hit 14 miles almost a mile from home - contemplated walking home but figured I could get back to make sausages quicker if I ran!!

• Advertisement

Pretty happy that week is over. Have been on deaths door all week with man flu, dunno how I survived. 2 more weeks...

Advertisement