Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Really? Do people carry phones running marathons nowadays? :pac:

I always carry my phone in an arm band when I run and race. Can't see an issue with carrying it... eg if something happens and I want to contact family, if I can't find them at the finish... what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

DBB wrote: »
    I always carry my phone in an arm band when I run and race. Can't see an issue with carrying it... eg if something happens and I want to contact family, if I can't find them at the finish... what's the problem?

I didn't say it was a problem. Dinosaurs like me are more old school. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I didn't say it was a problem. Dinosaurs like me are more old school. :pac:
    Ah... I picked you up wrong! But now I've a mental image of a fella running with a gramophone under his arm :D

Ah... I picked you up wrong! But now I've a mental image of a fella running with a gramophone under his arm :D

Haha... No it's me v 26.2 miles...it's war. If I ran into difficulties I carried by bank card to get a taxi. If I needed medical attention there are contact details on my number. I leave my phone in the bag drop so can contact people to meet after I finish. I should have pointed out I never carry my phone on any run (except a couple of times where I thought there might be some photo opportunities) as I really enjoy the thinking time running brings me. So no need for a gramophone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Another phone carrier here. I didn't get a watch cos my phone does the tracking. Also I like to listen to podcasts on my phone when training and recently have started to listen to music during the last few miles of my LSRs. Have to say I find it quite motivating really when a good tune comes on, like a surge of adreneline.... So hope to use it as a strategy for the final few miles.

Speaking of which other small things which I have uncovered accidently which might be useful to others are...
    1. Singing out loud...
    2. Raising my arms in the air as if in the final stretch of the race
    3. Doing the boxer punching thing...

I do all my running on quiet country roads so its no bother doing them with no one around. But I have found all these to give me a sense of pins and needles at different times during the last stages of my longest LSRs. It's hard to explain but it feels great like a surge of adreneline or endorphin release or something. So hoping to utilise these on raceday. Albeit I'll look quite silly but sure so what...
    Anybody else have silly things like this or am I a little loopy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Can I add one extra thing to yer homework between now and D-day?
    Buy your other half a thank you present for the sacrifices they also had to make during the 18 weeks training!
    PS. The browny points in the bank from this also work a treat when you announce you have signed up for DCM 20 which you wont believe now but a lot of ye will end up doing!!

Best of luck to ye all in Taper. Ye have this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Can I add one extra thing to yer homework between now and D-day?
    Buy your other half a thank you present for the sacrifices they also had to make during the 18 weeks training!
    PS. The browny points in the bank from this also work a treat when you announce you have signed up for DCM 20 which you wont believe now but a lot of ye will end up doing!!

Best of luck to ye all in Taper. Ye have this!

Haha i was just thinking what would be the best way to break the news:eek: A pressie is a good idea as i already have my eye on a race or 2 after DCM & defo the possibility of a return next year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭marathon19

There's probably been a few posts on this already but I found it interesting.

https://www.podiumrunner.com/eat-marathon-taper_161502

Some detail on nutritian during the taper

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ligerdub wrote: »
    Garmin connect also has a free live tracker option on their app. The runner needs to have their phone with them though so it's not ideal, I wouldn't bring my phone with me anyway.

I used this on my Marathon in 2016 and my family and friends though it was useful to track my progress . I also used my phone to ring them during the marathon when the wheels came off a little and I realised I was going to be behind target at the finish line.

That allowed me just run and enjoy it, I think if I had not had been able to let them know I was fine but was just going to be later than I had hoped for it would have added unnecessary stress to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Yeah a s*#t headline, i'm proud to be able to say i put the hard work & commitment in to get whatever time i get! There's a lot to be said for grafting for something you really want :D

Of all my friends, I was definitely the least fit and the least likely to ever run a marathon, but I have so far been the only one with the dedication to give to18 weeks (plus the years of running before that to build something of a base) of training. The training and the dedication to that training is what I am most proud of.
    Phew! Sorry I'm late to the party with news of Longwood, and this week's homework :o Damn work getting in the way of my bloody training, the cheek!:p

Great to meet pd79 at Longwood, to meet kemcloughlin again, and to run a fab LSR on the day with bananaleaf :o We got such a slagging from the photographer on the course for doing more gabbing than running, but hey, we were just putting the guideline into practice of "should be able to hold a conversation" to gauge our easy pace :D
    The cold at the start was made worse by the almost 20 min delay in getting started, but we warmed up quickly enough once we got going. We settled into a nice, steady, patient pace, and let everyone fly past us. We ended up seeing a good few of these again much later as we passed them in the closing miles, as they struggled with their tiredness.
    Legs were a bit achey from early enough on... nothing awful now, but achey all the same, which I put down to fatigue from the past few weeks.
    We took our time at water stations to get bottles filled and Zero tabs dissolved. These brief rests felt very nice on a course that had a lot of long drags in it, but at least repaid us with some nice downhills too. Happy with both hydration and nutrition, at no point did I feel I was running too low on fuel, having taken a gel every 5 miles (equivalent to every ~1 hour)

Both myself and bananaleaf have posted how we prefer even pacing... look at our 10km splits... :o
    10km... 1:20:20
    20km... 1:20:35
    30km... 1:20:52
    :D

Our chip time was 4:01:46, average pace 12:09 mins/mile. Very happy with that :)

A cup of tea, a crisp sambo, and a slice a cake at the end were like Michelin star food (I'm easily impressed, but still!:o)
    I can't let this brief report end without mentioning the DJ who kept us amused both at the start and the finish... what a great character! Now that was a man who embraced his role on the day :D

What do you need to do over the next three weeks to be ready for the marathon?
    I need to make a list. A proper one, on paper, not just in my head. Of what gear I'll wear on the way there, during the marathon itself, and to change into afterwards. Clothes and towel for if it rains. How many Zero tabs, how many and which gels.
    I thought I was organised for Longwood until I realised I'd forgotten my bloody phone as I drove out the driveway... and Bananaleaf put me to shame with impressive levels of organisation too :D
    Decide where to get the family to head for support.
    Need more sleep.
    Need to continue exercises from physio to keep my knees in recovery mode.

Here's a thing, and maybe this is really obvious to everyone and I've only recently copped onto it, but for your supporters on the day... you can get Google Maps on your phone to share your location (for a predetermined length of time) to your support's phones, so that they can see where you are on the course and make sure they're in the right place at the right time :)
    I've been using this during training runs for safety, as I run alone in some remote enough areas, so my OH can keep an eye... and know where to find me to bring me an unscheduled electrolyte drink and check that I'm okay on the longer runs :)

Bananaleaf's level of organisation puts us all to shame :D Great running from you both. As I said on Strava, your splits were soooo even. Lovely.

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Of all my friends, I was definitely the least fit and the least likely to ever run a marathon, but I have so far been the only one with the dedication to give to18 weeks (plus the years of running before that to build something of a base) of training. The training and the dedication to that training is what I am most proud of.

Bananaleaf's level of organisation puts us all to shame :D Great running from you both. As I said on Strava, your splits were soooo even. Lovely.

Well done, you should be proud! To me it is a great achievement in itself:)

Just got word i wasn't successful in the London ballot, always next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Yeah, me neither. Feeling a mixture of disappointment and relief, to be honest.

Rega wrote: »
    Yeah, me neither. Feeling a mixture of disappointment and relief, to be honest.

It's a blessing in disguise, imho. It would be a tough enough turnaround after your first marathon. And, for those of you who have the interest, the winter/spring will be a great time to capitalise on your fitness and running base to improve your PBs over the shorter distances.

It's a blessing in disguise, imho. It would be a tough enough turnaround after your first marathon. And, for those of you who have the interest, the winter/spring will be a great time to capitalise on your fitness and running base to improve your PBs over the shorter distances.

I really only entered because a friend of mine more or less said ah sure c'mon for the craic :D
    Not disappointed at all! Yep i think i will try PB all my shorter distances(if i don't fall out of love with running after the marathon:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to hear Huzzah. I think i'll be trying to improve my times on the 5km/10km distances.

I didn't get London either. To be honest I was more excited about a weekend in London than the race.

A lot of people are talking about THAT article. I am personally very proud of the work i've put into my DCM training. There isn't a hope in hell I would have bothered my ass with half of the runs if it wasn't for this group or beady eyes on strava. :p

That said, the thoughts of 8 miles tonight. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I really only entered because a friend of mine more or less said ah sure c'mon for the craic :D
    Not disappointed at all! Yep i think i will try PB all my shorter distances(if i don't fall out of love with running after the marathon:eek:)

Be sure to take a couple of weeks off running post marathon to allow you to recover completely and refresh your running batteries. There's plenty of interesting plans out there (and on boards) for graduates runners to help with the shorter to mid distances.

I've already started to plan my running year for 2020, starting with DCM 20 and working my way backwards to include my target races with an appropriate plan

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭passinginterest

After a missed weekend with the man flu and a hectic day in work again on Monday (glad to see the back of the budget) I decided to chance a longish run yesterday evening as a compromise. Hadn’t decided exactly how much to do was thinking somewhere between 14 and 18.

Legs felt unreal starting out after 4 days rest, a reminder of how challenging it’ll be to keep the pace under control on race day. Resting HR has been way up while I’ve had this dose and it was reflected in the running HR. I was feeling grand for about 10 miles or so but a few aches started to set on especially once I hit 12 miles. Nearly all of it uphill, taking in part of the DCM course (Crumlin road to Rathgar).

Was nearing home approaching 14 miles so decided to call it quits rather than extend things further. Glad I did, definitely still not feeling 100%. Resting HR last night was over 80, it’s usually low 50’s.

Back on the uniflu today. Will do a short recovery this evening and gradually move back on plan. I’ll do the long run Sunday to give the extra day Recovery. Disappointed to be sick now having such a good run of consistent training. Having said that, I’d rather this week than marathon week.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Quick question - I've been doing 6 runs most weeks. Should I cut that back to 5 runs during the taper or stick with the same number of runs as usual?

eabha19 wrote: »
    Quick question - I've been doing 6 runs most weeks. Should I cut that back to 5 runs during the taper or stick with the same number of runs as usual?

For the next 2 weeks keep the number of runs and their paces (assuming they were correct) the same. Simply shorten them. 66% of previous highest week for this week, 33% next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Thanks Skyblue. I was kind of looking for an excuse not go to out now but you've persuaded me. Now to dig out those runners and the dog's lead!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got an 8k done yesterday and today. Going to rest tomorrow and get the lsr 19/20km done Friday morning - heading away Friday afternoon and not back til Sunday evening, have a wedding. I've taken Monday off so plan on getting out for a light one then and continue the plan.

Tried out 1000 mile socks for first time today! They're so comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

Plan getting there on the day with wife and kids. Plan for them to be somewhere on the route, and where to meet me at the end.
    Keep on top of niggles (Mr. Guappa, injury still there in the background, but managing it OK and it's not impacting training. Only prolonged rest will heal it fully, I think 6-12 weeks, so I'll take the remainder of 2019 off running after marathon).
    Pick up gels, make pace band (paces decided).
    Most other things sorted, maybe just have to double check everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

So, missed last two days 5 mile runs due to work.
    Any point doing a slightly longer run this evening - maybe 8 miles easy with 5 on Friday followed by LSR or am I just chasing lost miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Maranoia setting in. Just back from Runzone in Rathgar with a pair of Brooks Ghost (which I used to run in ages ago) after a few years of running in Nike Pegasus. Great shop by the way!

DeepBlue wrote: »
    So, missed last two days 5 mile runs due to work.
    Any point doing a slightly longer run this evening - maybe 8 miles easy with 5 on Friday followed by LSR or am I just chasing lost miles?

Just let it go and follow the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

First LSR in the rain when it rained the entire time nearly - felt quite defeated, and wondering how to cope in the rain for an entire day (aside from just get on with it.. . any tips guys)? Hate extra layers - I find I heat up so much

- Eat well :)
    - Lots of sleep
    - Keep up exercises from physio & one last sports massage
    - Try to not panicccc...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Doc76 wrote: »
    Maranoia setting in.

I'm feeling incredibly excited about the event... Or I'm delirious right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

First LSR in the rain when it rained the entire time nearly - felt quite defeated, and wondering how to cope in the rain for an entire day (aside from just get on with it.. . any tips guys)? Hate extra layers - I find I heat up so much

I hate being too hot too. I bought a sleeveless rain jacket in Decathlon a couple of years ago. Less than €10 I’m sure. It’s great as gives me some protection but I stay cool as well. I tend to just wear a sleeveless top under it. It’s hard at the moment while it’s still warm but wet. Otherwise just make sure you have a light top that is ok in the rain, as in doesn’t get too heavy and waterlogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

wondering how to cope in the rain for an entire day (aside from just get on with it.. . any tips guys)? Hate extra layers - I find I heat up so much

For the actual DCM, I think getting on with it is going to be my approach. For non event runs which have been wet and/or windy I've been wearing this jacket from Decathlon which has served me well but I'm not sure how it perform at PMP for me during DCM in terms of overheating.

My only other potential concern is the extra chaffing that comes with the additional weight in running clothes from the rain. Whilst you would expect your upper body attire to be sweat ridden, your shorts typically won't be as bad so this could potentially add extra chaffing. If the weather is looking grim for the day, I'll be adding extra anti chaffing cream to my race pack. I've carried an emergency supply of anti chaffing cream on long cycles in a kinder egg toy container. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Today is my first full day of maranoia/taper madness.....

Just wondering if there's a recommended time prior to a marathon to get a physio rub down?? :confused::confused:

Was about to make a booking for next Monday but then got thinking that I'd probably want one then again the following Monday :rolleyes:

Advertisement