Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Delighted the trip to the physio went well.

I was definitely kidding about the apple crumble! Getting yourself to the start line is all that's required :D

The 5 miles easy went well this morning, tiny bit sore around the knee region but very manageable and that should ease further the more I work on it.
    The other muscles he worked on were worse :)
    Other positives include now having a decent physio a rock throw away from my new office and potentially not having to lump an apple crumble to Dublin while breaking several Health & safety rules to get it there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Another question about the day itself. How big is the clear plastic bag they provide? Could I fit a backpack in it? Just want to bring clothes so I don't freeze to death afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

py wrote: »
    Another question about the day itself. How big is the clear plastic bag they provide? Could I fit a backpack in it? Just want to bring clothes so I don't freeze to death afterwards.

Yeah you'd get a small to medium backpack in the bag provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

jackc101 wrote: »
    The 5 miles easy went well this morning, tiny bit sore around the knee region but very manageable and that should ease further the more I work on it.
    The other muscles he worked on were worse :)
    Other positives include now having a decent physio a rock throw away from my new office and potentially not having to lump an apple crumble to Dublin while breaking several Health & safety rules to get it there :D

I'll take the apple crumble off your hands! Then i'll have a pint of stout, which I've never had before, but DCM day will be a day of firsts! :pac::pac:

Great news on the knee. I'm doing the physio exercises and my knee is definitely improving.

I'll be doing my last long(ish) run in Wesht Cork. I'll start and end at the Fish Basket. The promise of a good coffee will keep me motivated. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

I'll take the apple crumble off your hands! Then i'll have a pint of stout, which I've never had before, but DCM day will be a day of firsts! :pac::pac:

Great news on the knee. I'm doing the physio exercises and my knee is definitely improving.

I'll be doing my last long(ish) run in Wesht Cork. I'll start and end at the Fish Basket. The promise of a good coffee will keep me motivated. :D

Yerra, they won't have a good pint of Murphys, why bother :P
    Watch out; I followed the some of the Clon marathon route and the hill after Dunmore House is to be avoided, unless you are into some severe character building stuff :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

As frash said they are pretty big. Last year I easily fit spare runners, a big towel, tracksuit pants and a hoodie in it. You'll be given it at the expo anyway, so can figure it out the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

I didn't read it all because it's depressing

Depressing that I am putting in the hours & could not dream of that time

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/winging-my-dublin-marathon-training-yielded-a-respectable-finish-1.4002617

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

frash wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/winging-my-dublin-marathon-training-yielded-a-respectable-finish-1.4002617

Yeah i read that too:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Went out with 4 hour pacers, ended up with the 4:20, finished in 4:21:43

Splits:
    First 10k: 09:18/mile
    10k-Half: 09:12/mile
    Half-30k: 10:51/mile
    30k-finish: 10:39/mile

This wasn't a particularly well run marathon but not bad for unspecific training and no background.

Everybody's background, residual fitness, genetics etc. are different. Some people can run surprisingly fast or long with basically no training. You need to remember that you're training *your* body to run *your* race at *your* distance. I think the one thing to take away from that article is that she had a great attitude to the whole thing, which can go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

I should’ve have read that now I’m depressed too!

Edited to add—although I must say I think I’ll end up being prouder for sticking to the training program for all this time more so than finishing the race? That’ll be great too but we should all be chuffed for getting this far and not quitting.

• Advertisement

Folks, ignore her time. If there's anything you can take out of the article, it's this:
    He believes the greatest performance enhancer is discipline as this will boost self-belief, which is just as important as training.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I'm late to the game on these pace bands, would it be the same as setting up a workout on my garmin with the pace I want to do every mile in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'm late to the game on these pace bands, would it be the same as setting up a workout on my garmin with the pace I want to do every mile in?

The downside to using your Garmin is you in all likelihood will run longer than 26.2 miles so your Garmin alerts won’t match up with the course markers. You also can’t readily turn your Garmin off if things start to go pear shaped, which would personally drive me a bit nuts.

How do I calculate how many carbs I'll need to get me through the marathon? By that I mean, what I'm going to consume whilst out on the road, not what I'm going to consume prior to the event.

Sorry for the random questions but I've started my DCM planning document and all these things are springing to mind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Yeah i read that too:eek:

This article annoyed me. If her brother ran a 2.32 marathon he obviously has talent and she is probably blessed with the same genetics.
    Not a good headline implying that it’s possible to run an averagely good marathon without long runs.
    ( I haven’t posted on this thread before but I’m following it! More of a novice now than I was when I was really a novice four years ago 😔!)

Animella wrote: »
    This article annoyed me. If her brother ran a 2.32 marathon he obviously has talent and she is probably blessed with the same genetics.
    Not a good headline implying that it’s possible to run an averagely good marathon without long runs.
    ( I haven’t posted on this thread before but I’m following it! More of a novice now than I was when I was really a novice four years ago 😔!)

Yeah a s*#t headline, i'm proud to be able to say i put the hard work & commitment in to get whatever time i get! There's a lot to be said for grafting for something you really want :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Yeah a s*#t headline, i'm proud to be able to say i put the hard work & commitment in to get whatever time i get! There's a lot to be said for grafting for something you really want :D
    Absolutely. You will have earned it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

It's no wonder my house is such a mess, I actually train. I think she mentioned something about having too much housework to do. Lol

It's no wonder my house is such a mess, I actually train. I think she mentioned something about having too much housework to do. Lol

• Advertisement

How do I calculate how many carbs I'll need to get me through the marathon? By that I mean, what I'm going to consume whilst out on the road, not what I'm going to consume prior to the event.

Sorry for the random questions but I've started my DCM planning document and all these things are springing to mind. :)

It will vary for everyone, depending on many factors, such as body weight and running pace, but generally you'll require at least 60g, maybe as much as 90g, of carbs per hour. Basically you want to begin taking on carbs early and often. Your body will be under less duress in the early stages, and so will process the carbs more readily. This article has some good stuff on the topic.

Wombled wrote: »

Hahaha i'll use that excuse too so ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

Hi guys,

Great to see everyone's Longest Runs Ever popping up on the Strava this weekend. It was a mixed bag of a week for me. The midweek runs were a bit of a struggle and the dodgy weather had me on the edge. They are also TOO FAST! The LSR went well, better than expected actually - can't believe I ran 20 freaking miles!! haha!

5m @ 11.21
    10m@ 11.28
    5m @ 11.32
    20m @ 11.46

What do you need to do over the next three weeks to be ready for the marathon?
    More stretching and yoga as I haven't been the best of late.
    Sleep well
    Eat Well
    Keep Hydrated
    Get the playlist organised
    Organise race gear & bag
    Position the fans in optimal gel giving points
    Try to resist the temptation of pints. I really want a pint.
    and most of all NOT TO FREAK OUT!

Here's to a good taper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Hahaha i'll use that excuse too so ;):D

Me too! My house is Marie Kondo’s worst nightmare right now.

Ais_Byrne7 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Great to see everyone's Longest Runs Ever popping up on the Strava this weekend. It was a mixed bag of a week for me. The midweek runs were a bit of a struggle and the dodgy weather had me on the edge. They are also TOO FAST! The LSR went well, better than expected actually - can't believe I ran 20 freaking miles!! haha!

5m @ 11.21
    10m@ 11.28
    5m @ 11.32
    20m @ 11.46

More stretching and yoga as I haven't been the best of late.
    Sleep well
    Eat Well
    Keep Hydrated
    Get the playlist organised
    Organise race gear & bag
    Position the fans in optimal gel giving points
    Try to resist the temptation of pints. I really want a pint.
    and most of all NOT TO FREAK OUT!

Here's to a good taper!

:D

Don't solely rely on supporters to provide gels. It will be really easy to miss them on the day, so try and be as self-sufficient as possible.

That was a great week - well done!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well done folks, on those long runs and getting to taper! Keep it sensible over the next while, no helping the brother in law with the extension or moving furniture. That can wait until after DCM. ;) If you think it's getting real now, wait until you get your number at the expo and have to think about what alarm to set. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Phew! Sorry I'm late to the party with news of Longwood, and this week's homework :o Damn work getting in the way of my bloody training, the cheek!:p

Great to meet pd79 at Longwood, to meet kemcloughlin again, and to run a fab LSR on the day with bananaleaf :o We got such a slagging from the photographer on the course for doing more gabbing than running, but hey, we were just putting the guideline into practice of "should be able to hold a conversation" to gauge our easy pace :D
    The cold at the start was made worse by the almost 20 min delay in getting started, but we warmed up quickly enough once we got going. We settled into a nice, steady, patient pace, and let everyone fly past us. We ended up seeing a good few of these again much later as we passed them in the closing miles, as they struggled with their tiredness.
    Legs were a bit achey from early enough on... nothing awful now, but achey all the same, which I put down to fatigue from the past few weeks.
    We took our time at water stations to get bottles filled and Zero tabs dissolved. These brief rests felt very nice on a course that had a lot of long drags in it, but at least repaid us with some nice downhills too. Happy with both hydration and nutrition, at no point did I feel I was running too low on fuel, having taken a gel every 5 miles (equivalent to every ~1 hour)

Both myself and bananaleaf have posted how we prefer even pacing... look at our 10km splits... :o
    10km... 1:20:20
    20km... 1:20:35
    30km... 1:20:52
    :D

Our chip time was 4:01:46, average pace 12:09 mins/mile. Very happy with that :)

A cup of tea, a crisp sambo, and a slice a cake at the end were like Michelin star food (I'm easily impressed, but still!:o)
    I can't let this brief report end without mentioning the DJ who kept us amused both at the start and the finish... what a great character! Now that was a man who embraced his role on the day :D

I need to make a list. A proper one, on paper, not just in my head. Of what gear I'll wear on the way there, during the marathon itself, and to change into afterwards. Clothes and towel for if it rains. How many Zero tabs, how many and which gels.
    I thought I was organised for Longwood until I realised I'd forgotten my bloody phone as I drove out the driveway... and Bananaleaf put me to shame with impressive levels of organisation too :D
    Decide where to get the family to head for support.
    Need more sleep.
    Need to continue exercises from physio to keep my knees in recovery mode.

Here's a thing, and maybe this is really obvious to everyone and I've only recently copped onto it, but for your supporters on the day... you can get Google Maps on your phone to share your location (for a predetermined length of time) to your support's phones, so that they can see where you are on the course and make sure they're in the right place at the right time :)
    I've been using this during training runs for safety, as I run alone in some remote enough areas, so my OH can keep an eye... and know where to find me to bring me an unscheduled electrolyte drink and check that I'm okay on the longer runs :)

DBB wrote: »
    Here's a thing, and maybe this is really obvious to everyone and I've only recently copped onto it, but for your supporters on the day... you can get Google Maps on your phone to share your location (for a predetermined length of time) to your support's phones, so that they can see where you are on the course and make sure they're in the right place at the right time :)

If you're a premium strava member you've also got their "Beacon" option which is something I typically use on my long runs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Really? Do people carry phones running marathons nowadays? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Garmin connect also has a free live tracker option on their app. The runner needs to have their phone with them though so it's not ideal, I wouldn't bring my phone with me anyway.

Advertisement