Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Y
    py wrote: »
    Pretty happy that week is over. Have been on deaths door all week with man flu, dunno how I survived. 2 more weeks...

Nothing as bad as man flu :pac: I really don't know how you men do it ;) Hopefully you are over the worst, better now than the week of the Marathon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

marathon19 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/k-XgKRJUEgQ

Live stream of kipchoge trying to run the marathon in under 2 hours,

Not all that impressive, he only ran two hours like. I have done half marathons longer than that....

PS: what a machine this Kipchoge person is. Inspirational indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

What an incredible achievement, and to see the way each team of pacers worked together to help make it happen was amazing, especially those that were running last week in Doha and then to go out today running 2.5 min kms! Amazing.

My lsr ended up as a sprint finish to get home to the bathroom :eek:, just made it, hasnt happened before but any tips to prevent it happening again would be most welcome. Am praying it was just down to feeling dodgy all week, and that I'll be fine on marathon day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

3boyz wrote: »
    What an incredible achievement, and to see the way each team of pacers worked together to help make it happen was amazing, especially those that were running last week in Doha and then to go out today running 2.5 min kms! Amazing.

My lsr ended up as a sprint finish to get home to the bathroom :eek:, just made it, hasnt happened before but any tips to prevent it happening again would be most welcome. Am praying it was just down to feeling dodgy all week, and that I'll be fine on marathon day.

Running can sometimes have that effect. If you haven’t changed your diet, then it might just be a one off. Tips for avoiding it would be to not drink too much coffee immediately before a run. I try to avoid fruit before a run as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Running can sometimes have that effect. If you haven’t changed your diet, then it might just be a one off. Tips for avoiding it would be to not drink too much coffee immediately before a run. I try to avoid fruit before a run as well.

Thanks yes, looking back i ate lots of pineapple this week, may have contributed to an icky stomach. Hopefully just a once off 🀞!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Sorbet

Hope I'm not told off but I haven't really finalised my fuelling strategy yet. Most of my LSRs I took 1 or maximum of 2 High 5 aqua gels. No ill effects but am wondering how many I should be aiming for on the day. I've heard some mention 5 or more, so 1 every 8k?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Why did I delay my long run until this morning.. Lovely out there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sorbet wrote: »
    Hope I'm not told off but I haven't really finalised my fuelling strategy yet. Most of my LSRs I took 1 or maximum of 2 High 5 aqua gels. No ill effects but am wondering how many I should be aiming for on the day. I've heard some mention 5 or more, so 1 every 8k?

As many as you can handle. I'd be aiming for closer to one every 30 minutes, if not more. Some people like to take a caffeine one as the last, or second last gel, for a little mental kick.

If you were to take 5 (I'd advise more), it would be better to take them at 7k intervals, because by taking them every 8k you would be taking one at 40k, which your body won't have had enough time to process before the finish.

An issue you will have is that the aqua gels are quite bulky, compared to the regular ones, so transporting them all will be more difficult. Have you tried the regular ones? And use water on the course to wash them down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Why did I delay my long run until this morning.. Lovely out there :eek:

Same!! I think I’ll hold off until afternoon hoping it clears up a bit.

Doc76 wrote: »
    Same!! I think I’ll hold off until afternoon hoping it clears up a bit.

Ye won't dissolve :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Ye won't dissolve :pac:

I’m a wimp!! But even if it’s lashing on the 27th I’ll be there at the start line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Sorbet

As many as you can handle. I'd be aiming for closer to one every 30 minutes, if not more. Some people like to take a caffeine one as the last, or second last gel, for a little mental kick.

If you were to take 5 (I'd advise more), it would be better to take them at 7k intervals, because by taking them every 8k you would be taking one at 40k, which your body won't have had enough time to process before the finish.

An issue you will have is that the aqua gels are quite bulky, compared to the regular ones, so transporting them all will be more difficult. Have you tried the regular ones? And use water on the course to wash them down?

Brilliant thanks. I'll up the intake. Practice carrying loads in flipbelt on LSR today (in the dry).

I’m a wimp!! But even if it’s lashing on the 27th I’ll be there at the start line :)

Ended up delaying my own LSR for half the day and got soaked within 5 minutes of stepping outside the door. Karma I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

cyPYpE5.jpg

Feck, getting kinda real now. :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I honestly don't believe I've ever had 16 weeks of my life fly past as quickly as the last 16!
    The marathon has always been aaaages away. Now, all of a sudden, it's not :o

Ended up delaying my own LSR for half the day and got soaked within 5 minutes of stepping outside the door. Karma I guess :)

She's a bi*ch alright ;)

Ok so is it just me or does anyone else do this??
    If i have a run in the morning or straight after work i'm so focused up & out (usually) but give me a recovery run on a Sunday & the procrastinating is UNBELIEVABLE, got the shopping & thought right let the others put it away & head out, nope cleaned the fridge, helped put it away then decided it would be best to put the dinner on so it would be cooking while i'm out! Right upstairs & get changed, simple right? Nope decide to reorganise my running gear, which has now over flown into a second drawer :D Everything all sorted & finally got out for my run, but on the plus side the weather was fab & my running drawer is all sorted:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

DBB wrote: »
    I honestly don't believe I've ever had 16 weeks of my life fly past as quickly as the last 16!
    The marathon has always been aaaages away. Now, all of a sudden, it's not :o

Other crazy part is we train for months, then it's all over in a few hours...
    But, memories from it will be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It's just you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I know you are trying to keep it as simple as possible but that's a bit too simple I think. Miles 2-7 (or 3-11kms) should be run more conservatively than 5:45. Likewise you can pick up the pace a bit from Castleknock College to Chapelizod gate before easing again from Chapelizod Village to Kilmainham.

Ye, thought I over simplified it... back to the drawing board. I just don't want to give myself too much work to do at the end if the body is feeling good and the sub 4 is still on. Will come up with another pace plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

Other crazy part is we train for months, then it's all over in a few hours...
    But, memories from it will be good!

I read somewhere that the marathon is just a celebratory lap after a good training cycle.

That's definitely how I felt when I lined for my first marathon (DCM 2017), felt incredibly happy and lucky to be at the start line, come hell or high water next 42.2kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

py wrote: »
    Ye, thought I over simplified it... back to the drawing board. I just don't want to give myself too much work to do at the end if the body is feeling good and the sub 4 is still on. Will come up with another pace plan.

Giving yourself a bit to do isn't a problem if you are well trained and pace it well. I did a 7 minute negative split in 2017. It's probably too much and shows I had more in me but also shows there is no reason others can't do it. Our group in 2017 nailed that plan.

WEEK 17 PREVIEW

SEV..EN..TEEN :eek:

As mentioned earlier, it really is hard to believe we are so close to the marathon. In just two short weeks you will have completed the Dublin Marathon :)
    To have reached this point is a great achievement, this is the home stretch before your victory lap on October 27th.

The taper really kicks into gear this week, and your legs may feel that bit fresher. This is the purpose of the taper of course, but as a result, the runs will feel very easy compared to what you've been used to. Please keep an eye on the paces - it's easy for them to creep up on fresh legs, but that would be undoing some of the good of the taper. You want very fresh legs come marathon day!

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|rest|4m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|8m LSR|cross
    Boards|rest, cross or 3m rec|3m easy|4m easy|4m w/ 6 x strides|rest, cross or 3m rec|8m LSR|rest, cross or 3m rec

The priority now is getting to the start line. If you have a niggle, it might be best to rest! The hard work is done, so don't risk your marathon if something is not right. It's easy to bury your head in the sand and hope for the best, but the smart move might be to put the feet up and book a physio appointment.

Of course, if you are feeling fine then follow the plan. There's no need for additional mileage - as we may have mentioned you are tapering :) This is the lowest mileage week in a number of months for both plans - enjoy it. Do the runs at appropriate paces, and use the free time to rest and recuperate. Try and get into the habit this week of going to bed that touch earlier - this will stand to you in two weeks time.

Homework
    - How was week 16 for you?
    - With two weeks to go, how are you feeling about the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Guys looking for advice reassurance , first marathon, I'm well trained and running a few years now but night before races I get very nervous/ excitedto the point I can't sleep and be up all night ! Took me 5 1/2 marathons before this subsided a bit but I think I'm gonna be up all night before the big one!
    Anyone done this on little or no sleep? Don't want months of training ruined cause nerves! Goal is to finish not any mad time

DeepBlue wrote: »

It's just you. :D

Haha thought so :D

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Guys looking for advice reassurance , first marathon, I'm well trained and running a few years now but night before races I get very nervous/ excitedto the point I can't sleep and be up all night ! Took me 5 1/2 marathons before this subsided a bit but I think I'm gonna be up all night before the big one!
    Anyone done this on little or no sleep? Don't want months of training ruined cause nerves! Goal is to finish not any mad time

I think some level of broken sleep the night before is to be expected for most marathoners, especially if it's your first time! Advice would be not to worry about it - if you get a good night then excellent, but concentrate on getting in plenty of sleep all week long, so you're not in desperate need of a great sleep come the night before. Also, clocks go back the night before Dublin, which is a bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all

I missed last week's homework - it was such a hectic week and I just didn't have time to do it.

What do I need to do for DCM:
    • If I'm getting my name printed on my singlet I will need to sort that this week. I'll make enquiries.
    • I need to order some more gels. Must do this tomorrow.
    • I want to meal plan everything for the last week so that I can cook it all up on the Sunday/Monday and reduce time on the feet running around shops etc
    • Keep throwing the vitamins into me and drinking water.
    • Sleep. This didn't go well last week. Got 9hrs on the Sunday, which I think was way too much cause then I didn't sleep properly again until Wednesday
    • Put phone and computer away 2 full hrs before bedtime
    • Figure out where McGrattans is
    • Get my hamstrings as loose as I can. Physio has been saying all along how tight they are so I'm working on them every day. I want to give her a big surprise when I meet her next week

What I have done for DCM:
    • I got my 'throwaway clothes' organised
    • I've washed my DCM clothes and I won't wear them again until marathon day
    • More or less have transport sorted
    • The post-DCM holiday is almost paid for and organised.
    • Think about getting to the expo

How was week 16 for you?
    Tough. Things were hectic in work and things are also a bit hectic in my home life at the minute, so I feel like my energy and stress levels are taking a bit of a battering. Tuesdays 5m easy was without a doubt the worst run I've had in the whole plan. From start to finish I wanted to quit, I just couldn't get into it and hated it all. Couldn't keep the easy pace up either. Even though Mr Guappa had warned us in the preview, I still had 'tapering' in my head, except 3 consecutive 5miles was tough!
    This evening I had the choice of doing 3m recovery or staying in and getting my head together before next week begins so I chose to stay in and prep 5 nice low-carb lunches for Mon-Fri and make a plan for some healthy, low-ish carb dinners for Mon-Thurs which I'll cook tomorrow afternoon.

With 2 weeks to go, how are you feeling about the marathon?
    I'm feeling very excited and nervous. However, one other feeling seems to be overshadowing that and it is sadness. Sadness that it is coming to an end. For better or worse, I have put my entire life into this plan for the past 17 weeks. I've committed to it 100% which is a real achievement for me because really, I don't have the friggin time. As it draws to an end I won't lie, I feel a bit lost. I am tired and I need to pare back my training and I will be glad of a rest, but I'm also really sad that this is ending. Very strange mixed feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Is there some reason you won't continue running. There is a group of us 2017 novices still loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Its just a run. Dont overthink things.
    Ive banged out a few, some good times some not so.
    Never used a watch, never overly planned anything. Only ever eaten a gel past 20 miles. Never ran more than 20 during a run up to.
    Just stayed comfortable, pushed when i was too comfortable, focused on good technique, getting my medal, the glory and kicking a few clubs runners asses.
    Just run it!

New Nike Advert in the works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all

I missed last week's homework - it was such a hectic week and I just didn't have time to do it.

What do I need to do for DCM:
    • If I'm getting my name printed on my singlet I will need to sort that this week. I'll make enquiries.
    • I need to order some more gels. Must do this tomorrow.
    • I want to meal plan everything for the last week so that I can cook it all up on the Sunday/Monday and reduce time on the feet running around shops etc
    • Keep throwing the vitamins into me and drinking water.
    • Sleep. This didn't go well last week. Got 9hrs on the Sunday, which I think was way too much cause then I didn't sleep properly again until Wednesday
    • Put phone and computer away 2 full hrs before bedtime
    • Figure out where McGrattans is
    • Get my hamstrings as loose as I can. Physio has been saying all along how tight they are so I'm working on them every day. I want to give her a big surprise when I meet her next week

What I have done for DCM:
    • I got my 'throwaway clothes' organised
    • I've washed my DCM clothes and I won't wear them again until marathon day
    • More or less have transport sorted
    • The post-DCM holiday is almost paid for and organised.
    • Think about getting to the expo

How was week 16 for you?
    Tough. Things were hectic in work and things are also a bit hectic in my home life at the minute, so I feel like my energy and stress levels are taking a bit of a battering. Tuesdays 5m easy was without a doubt the worst run I've had in the whole plan. From start to finish I wanted to quit, I just couldn't get into it and hated it all. Couldn't keep the easy pace up either. Even though Mr Guappa had warned us in the preview, I still had 'tapering' in my head, except 3 consecutive 5miles was tough!
    This evening I had the choice of doing 3m recovery or staying in and getting my head together before next week begins so I chose to stay in and prep 5 nice low-carb lunches for Mon-Fri and make a plan for some healthy, low-ish carb dinners for Mon-Thurs which I'll cook tomorrow afternoon.

With 2 weeks to go, how are you feeling about the marathon?
    I'm feeling very excited and nervous. However, one other feeling seems to be overshadowing that and it is sadness. Sadness that it is coming to an end. For better or worse, I have put my entire life into this plan for the past 17 weeks. I've committed to it 100% which is a real achievement for me because really, I don't have the friggin time. As it draws to an end I won't lie, I feel a bit lost. I am tired and I need to pare back my training and I will be glad of a rest, but I'm also really sad that this is ending. Very strange mixed feelings.

People do get the marathon blues. There will be a grads thread set up a few weeks after with a brilliant choice of plans to follow - 5-10k, 10k-HM, marathon plans. Your group will stay in touch on WhatsApp and you’ll have each other to discuss the marathon with for ages after when family and friends have moved on ;)

Advertisement