Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy touches girls arm, faces 10 years for sexual assault

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Boggles wrote: »
    Have you ever creeply faced a bush waiting for a 17 year old girl in an isolated area who you then try and grab?

God, I love how changing language can control the narrative.

'Grab'

'Wait'

'Isolated'

'Waiting'

Just interesting from a social point of view. You can search the Roxanne Pallet Punchgate on youtube to see a similar situation to controlling the narative by changing the word choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Midster wrote: »
    What the hell kinda question is that?

Was it too complex?

It's pretty simply and pertinent TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Here man come on you don't know if this fella was lying in wait for this girl or if they just happen across each other on the same route to school or something, your painting him as some stalker/predator following her and pouncing on her from the shadows.

The report says he was just standing there, facing a hedge, then as she approached he turned around and just put his hand on her arm without saying a word.

Then, even though there is no way he could fail to realise that it was inappropriate and obviously something she didn't like, he did it again.

I've already said I think calling it sexual assault is harsh, but it still is really creepy behaviour, and I can understand how the girl would be distressed.

Posters comparing what happened here to the kind of fleeting physical contact that happens in an office environment are just making stupid arguments for the sake of it.

God, I love how changing language can control the narrative.

'Grab'

'Wait'

'Isolated'

'Waiting'

Perfectly sums up the narrative of the events.

What bit have you a problem with?

Again I ask, if this happened to your young daughter or young female relative you would be fine with it, shy young adult male not knowing any better?

I think the fact of where she was touched is quite important from a legal and gender point of view.

a) Guy touches guy on arm = Sexual Assault?

b) woman touches woman on arm = Sexual Assault?

c) Man touches girl on arm = Sexual Assault?

d) Woman touches boy on arm = Sexual assault?

If an arm is a sexual object, open to sexual assault allegations, then wouldn't all women now be in prison?

The Italians would be truly fecked

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    I've already said I think calling it sexual assault is harsh

From the small bit we know from the article.
    'The complainant's evidence was very clear, logical and without embellishment. We can think of no motivation for you to touch the victim other than sexual.

'Had she not taken evasive action the assault was likely to have been even more serious. The first assault can be recognised as opportunistic however there is more evidence of premeditation in the second.'

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

No I'm not.

She is. The person that was actually there.

The Police and Magistrates agreed.

Again if it were your young daughter this happened to you would just write it off as an a shy lad not knowing better?

I'd call to the young fellas house and talk to him and his parents and let them know if my daughter was made feel uncomfortable (not even be physically contacted) by him again I would be dealing with it and then I would get the guards involved, put him and the parents on notice first that he's not behaving correctly. Maybe he didn't realise he was causing her distress.

Not jump straight to hysterically calling him a sexual predator.

From the small bit we know from the article.

Yes, I read it, but I disagree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

Our future as a species looks pretty bleak.

SexBobomb wrote: »
    I'd call to the young fellas house and talk to him and his parents and let them know if my daughter was made feel uncomfortable (not even be physically contacted) by him again I would be dealing with it and then I would get the guards involved, put him and the parents on notice first that he's not behaving correctly. Maybe he didn't realise he was causing her distress.

Not jump straight to hysterically calling him a sexual predator.

But sure where does it say the school girl knew the adult male? :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes, I read it, but I disagree with it.

If he is was deriving sexual pleasure from tormenting a school girl then yeah that is very much sexual assault.

His story and excuses are nonsensical.

"I googled how to make a friend"

What website suggested, stalk, hide in a hedge and grab?

Again, to all of you. This is yet another piece of straw to be put on the camels back.

And when the back breaks (which it will.)

Humans will be moved automatically from one room to another in order to prevent more than one human being in any one room at any one time, verbal communication will be outlawed, babies will be made in science labs and children will be raised by robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I have a pretty big beard and I get women touching it all the time.
    Am I able to bring them to court for that one??

Again, to all of you. This is yet another piece of straw to be put on the camels back.

And when the back breaks (which it will.)

Humans will be moved automatically from one room to another in order to prevent more than one human being in any one room at any one time, verbal communication will be outlawed, babies will be made in science labs and children will be raised by robots.

Nah, none of that will happen.

This particular fella just needs to learn that hiding in a hedge and jumping out on school girls is against the law and if you are caught you will be punished.

No need for hyperbolic fantasies.

Are the women stalking you and hiding in a hedge?

Are you Santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Are the women stalking you and hiding in a hedge?

Are you Santa?

Not all them are.
    In pubs or late bars lad.
    And no I’m not Santa. I’m not jolly or fat. Cranky fücker

His story and excuses are nonsensical.

"I googled how to make a friend"

What website suggested, stalk, hide in a hedge and grab?
    I agree with that, and said as much earlier in the thread.
    Although I have to agree with an earlier poster on your use of language - him standing facing a hedge has become 'hide in a hedge' and him touching her has become 'grab'. That kind of stuff doesn't do you any favours.
    If he is was deriving sexual pleasure from tormenting a school girl then yeah that is very much sexual assault.

That's just an 'if' though, although it's an 'if' the judge must have agreed with. Based purely on what he did, and not what he might have done later, I think it's harsh to call it a sexual assault rather than a common assault.

Olympic gold medal-winning slippery slope horsesh!t.

Try it. Lol

You will have to cry a little bit though, can you do that?

Try to look and talk like your traumatized by it if you can, it will add an extra level of depth.

And if you see the person who touched you walking around free after that, look fearful, and fake panic attacks.

If someone who has done this to you is rich or has money, you can publicly humiliate them, and sue them for damages.

You’ll be rich. Hahaha

Me to movement yippee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

face it you just hate men. Period
    I love men. Not creeps who believe they have the right to touch women and call it flirting.

If you can't approach a woman without keeping your hands to yourself, you have bigger problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Bannerlad123

The West is ****ed alright.

I agree with that, and said as much earlier in the thread.
    Although I have to agree with an earlier poster on your use of language - him standing facing a hedge has become 'hide in a hedge' and him touching her has become 'grab'. That kind of stuff doesn't do you any favours.

I don't care about favors.

Facing a hedge waiting for someone to apprach does suggest hiding.

Trying to touch a breast or grab a breast or touch her full stop and what words are used is silly semantics.

That's just an 'if' though, although it's an 'if' the judge must have agreed with. Based purely on what he did, and not what he might have done later, I think it's harsh to call it a sexual assault rather than a common assault.

She had no doubt that was the motivation.

Primarily I'm guessing because she didn't base her decision on a vague slanted daily mail article.

AulWan wrote: »
    I love men. Not creeps who believe they have the right to touch women and call it flirting.

If you can't approach a woman without keeping your hands to yourself, you have bigger problems.

Did you ask the man if he gave you consent to love him? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Well, for research I went and Googled "How to make a friend".
    There's some very helpful advice online. Here are a few:

- Reach out to acquaintances.
    - Take the first step.
    - Be yourself.
    - Make the effort to stay in touch.

Hmm, maybe that lad took the recommendations too literally and this was all a huge misunderstanding :eek:

AulWan wrote: »

Your argument holds no water what so ever, literally billions of really good relationships have started because of a single touch, or a stolen kiss.

Men do it, and so do women.

You wish to encourage outrage in something that may, just may have been one of the first steps to your parents falling in love, and thus you being born, a good percentage of the 7 billion people living on this planet own there existence to an awkward or flirty touch to another.

I don't care about favors.

Trying to touch a breast or grab a breast or touch her full stop is silly semantics.

Oh stop. A man grabbing a woman's breast is different from a man touching a woman's hand, or even (:eek:) arm to get attention.

As I've said, most parts of the southern world would be all shipped off to a prison camp if some of the posters had their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

deandean wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe that lad took the recommendations too literally and this was all a huge misunderstanding :eek:
    More than likely he reached out on an incel forum that he frequents to get advice on "getting girls" and some sociopath told him that women like to be taken be surprised and are impressed by a strong man who grabs them roughly and takes charge.

Realising how stupid and sinister this makes him sound, his solicitor coached him into changing the language so it sounds like it was an innocent google with really innocent intention.

Oh stop. A man grabbing a woman's breast is different from a man touching a woman's hand, or even (:eek:) arm to get attention.

I 100% agree.

Now a man "concealing" themselves with the "aid of a hedge" and lying in wait for a school girl that doesn't know him and then he proceeds to try and and touch her is illegal, it is illegal for a very good reason. Surely you agree with that.

We can't have young strange men stalking school girls, correct? Not in a normal society?

Trying to conflate what actually happened to the school girl in this instance with "sure a woman touched before in a pub" is beyond silly.

Not when the girl testified that she could see him facing the hedge as she approached him.

Trying to touch a breast or grab a breast or touch her full stop and what words are used is silly semantics.
    It's not silly semantics.

If the girl had testified that as she was walking, he had suddenly emerged from behind or inside a hedge and grabbed, or tried to grab her breast, there would be a lot less discussion about the sentence.

But that's not what she testified, because that's not what happened. You know it's not what happened. And, as I said, it does you not favours in terms of credibility to try and (not so subtly) use words like 'hide' and 'grab' to portray what happened in that way.

• Advertisement

Not when the girl testified that she could see him facing the hedge as she approached him.

It's not silly semantics.

If the girl had testified that as she was walking, he had suddenly emerged from behind or inside a hedge and grabbed, or tried to grab her breast, there would be a lot less discussion about the sentence.

But that's not what she testified, because that's not what happened. You know it's not what happened. And, as I said, it does you not favours in terms of credibility to try and (not so subtly) use words like 'hide' and 'grab' to portray what happened in that way.

Why was he facing the hedge?

To obscure his face.

That is hiding.

Advertisement