Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy touches girls arm, faces 10 years for sexual assault

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

AulWan wrote: »

The bottom line is NO person has the right to walk up to any person and put their hands - or even a finger - on them anywhere, without their invitation - ever.

I fixed that paragraph for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Do you think a woman should put her hand on a man without consent?

Perhaps we should ship all of the continentals off to a prison barge:rolleyes:

Much as you'd like it to be, this isn't about gender.

I don't think anyone should touch anyone else, without an invitation, male or female.

Nor does it matter where she was touched, in this case. Its the fact that she was touched at all, that is the problem.

There are valuable lessons here worth learning for some, and to teach your kids (a) keep your hands to yourself and (b) no one has the right to touch you.

I fixed that paragraph for you.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Much as you'd like it to be, this isn't about gender.

I don't think anyone should touch anyone else, without an invitation, male or female.

Nor does it matter where she was touched, in this case. Its the fact that she was touched at all, that is the problem.

There are valuable lessons here worth learning for some, and to teach your kids (a) keep your hands to yourself and (b) no one has the right to touch you.

I think the fact of where she was touched is quite important from a legal and gender point of view.

a) Guy touches guy on arm = Sexual Assault?

b) woman touches woman on arm = Sexual Assault?

c) Man touches girl on arm = Sexual Assault?

d) Woman touches boy on arm = Sexual assault?

If an arm is a sexual object, open to sexual assault allegations, then wouldn't all women now be in prison?

I actually blame the authorities and not the girl tbh. She's young and so on and so forth, but the authorities really made a strange decision here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He also touched her on the waist right?

And her opinion was he touched her on the arm because she moved because otherwise he would have touched her on the breast

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This thread is just a sh1tshow of people who didnt even read the article and don't have a clue because the OP purposefully gave a misleading title and OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,688 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If an arm is a sexual object, open to sexual assault allegations, then wouldn't all women now be in prison?

How do you make that out? It would be incredibly unlikely any women would be in prison if there were no complaints made against them by their alleged victims.

I think the fact of where she was touched is quite important from a legal and gender point of view.

a) Guy touches guy on arm = Sexual Assault?

b) woman touches woman on arm = Sexual Assault?

c) Man touches girl on arm = Sexual Assault?

d) Woman touches boy on arm = Sexual assault?

I actually blame the authorities and not the girl tbh. She's young and so on and so forth, but the authorities really made a strange decision here.

Would you just stop.

You're just trying to deflect from what actually happened and it's so pathetic.

The authorities made the absolutely right decision.

Would you just stop.

You're just trying to deflect from what actually happened and it's so pathetic.

The authorities made the absolutely right decision.

Hmmmm, I think I'll agree to disagree and, on reading my posts, they were a little bit OTT.

Have a good night.

He went on trial on two counts of sexual assault because he plead not guilty to the charges.

You know perfectly well what my point was in my post - I wasn’t questioning the fact he went on trial, I questioned why he went on trial on a charge of sexual assault given the facts outlined in the newspaper reports,

I don’t need the bleeding obvious process pointed out to me- but go ahead and deliberately misinterpret my posts for your own agenda why don’t you.

• Advertisement

You know perfectly well what my point was in my post - I wasn’t questioning the fact he went on trial, I questioned why he went on trial on a charge of sexual assault given the facts outlined in the newspaper reports,

I don’t need the bleeding obvious process pointed out to me- but go ahead and deliberately misinterpret my posts for your own agenda why don’t you.

I genuinely wasn’t trying to deliberately misinterpret your posts. Like first off you thought it was a trial before a Judge and Jury. I didn’t jump down your throat for that as it was an easy misunderstanding given the way the DM phrased it - the 10 year maximum sentence applies in the Crown Court where there would have been a Jury trial. This case was tried in the lower Magistrates Court - community service type sentencing as the gravity of the charges were on the lower end of the scale - if he’d chosen to plead guilty and avoid a trial, it’s likely an apology to his victim for his behaviour would have been sufficient.

The facts outlined in the newspaper articles were sufficient to support his being charged with two counts of sexual assault... I thought that was the obvious bit. The panel of Judges don’t appear to have found his ‘I just wanted a friend’ story particularly credible given the circumstances, and frankly neither do I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

gwalk wrote: »

honestly, this generation is ruined

Says every previous generation ever

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

It is completely hilarious how females talk to, and touch male colleagues in the work place and never a single headline. Yet if it’s a man, the flashing blue lights go on and all of a sudden he’s a criminal.

He touched her friggin arm for gods sake!! Yes he was a little bit awkward, maybe there was a past trauma with a girl he might have liked in his past.

Again and again men are being sent a clear message not to talk to, approach, or touch (even if it’s just to make way to just get to the Jonny in time)

I predict in the future there will be no relationships what so ever, no marriages, no babies and no love what so ever.

And you women out there will be sat alone, depressed and eating ice cream, and getting fat wondering where on earth did all the real men go.

Well, well done in advance women kind for killing off the whole of the human population, just because you got so far up your own arses to realize that not every man has a clue, and some, yes some men are so scared of approaching women that they will definitely act un naturally, look and sound a bit weird, and they get banged up anyway.

Think what that would do to your own view of the opposite sex... if I’m ever single again I’m going to kill myself

Its astounding how many men still aren't getting that message, and will defend this type of behaviour!

"H touched her frigging arm for gods sake!"

It doesn't matter if its her arm, or her boob.

DON'T TOUCH HER.

Not to mention you dismissed the whole creepy hedges and railway bridge thing, the not speaking to her thing, and that this was the second time he did it.

Keep your frigging hands to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,647 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Midster wrote: »
    He touched her friggin arm for gods sake!!

Again, no he did more than that and yes context is key.

Hilarious how that is being ignored.
    Yes he was a little bit awkward, maybe there was a past trauma with a girl he might have liked in his past.

That's not this girls problem.

It's very simple, if some guy was waiting multiple times for your young daughter or relative and trying to touch or grab her in an isolated area you would just laugh it off as some awkward boy who doesn't know any better.

Would you fúck.

Also how do we know if she didn't report the incident he would have stopped, sounds like it was escalating if anything.

Then you may have a completely different story.

Its astounding how many men still aren't getting that message, and will defend this type of behaviour!

"H touched her frigging arm for gods sake!"

It doesn't matter if its her arm, or her boob.

DON'T TOUCH HER.

Not to mention you dismissed the whole creepy hedges and railway bridge thing, the not speaking to her thing, and that this was the second time he did it.

Keep your frigging hands to yourself!

What ever happened to being flirty, or being touchy feely. I know plenty of women who’s whole personality revolves around being those things.
    So you think some men aren’t the same? You want to make there whole personalities illegal now.
    Some of the women I’ve known have stuttered, blushed and deliberately rubbed themselves up against the man they were after in order to get his attention.

You want to outlaw anyone making any kind of forward advances.

And for those who’s heart really does stop when they see the woman of there dreams walk in the room, to nervous to talk properly, to nervous to even stand without shaking legs, they go against everything to awkwardly say hello and ask for her number.

Let’s face it you just hate men. Period

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He wouldn't have been convicted on two counts if he just walked up and touched her arm.

Anyone who trusts the Daily Mail to report correctly needs their heads examined tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I predict in the future there will be no relationships what so ever, no marriages, no babies and no love what so ever.

And you women out there will be sat alone, depressed and eating ice cream, and getting fat wondering where on earth did all the real men go.

Well, well done in advance women kind for killing off the whole of the human population
    Jaysus.

Boggles wrote: »
    Again, no he did more than that and yes context is key.

Hilarious how that is being ignored.

That's not this girls problem.

It's very simple, if some guy was waiting multiple times for your young daughter or relative and trying to touch or grab her in an isolated area you would just laugh it off as some awkward boy who doesn't know any better.

Would you fúck.

Also how do we know if she didn't report the incident he would have stopped, sounds like it was escalating if anything.

Then you may have a completely different story.

He said he touched her arm the second time, she said he touched her side/waist.

Would you do the same if the genders were reversed?

Tbh, I don't really care that much about the lady , but it is a worrying legal precedent if touching an arm is classed as sexual assault (which it is as it is two counts)

What ever happened to being flirty, or being touchy feely. I know plenty of women who’s whole personality revolves around being those things.
    So you think some men aren’t the same? You want to make there whole personalities illegal now.
    Some of the women I’ve known have stuttered, blushed and deliberately rubbed themselves up against the man they were after in order to get his attention.

Jesus, I feel like most of the women I know would be classed as sexual assaultists if the roles were reversed.

• Advertisement

Sometimes it’s the shear bravery of a man that does invade a woman’s personal space.
    Or a woman who invades a mans private space.
    That provokes love between 2 people to be born.

It’s the circumstances that create differences of opinion, sometimes it’s welcomed, sometimes it’s not.

I myself have touched tens of women’s arms, in all kinds of situations, a few of those times that movement played a part in letting that woman know that I am a loving caring approachable person.

Literally billions of good strong relationships have started with a single touch.

Your stance creates fear, distance and animosity

He said he touched her arm the second time, she said he touched her side/waist.

What's your point?

Would you do the same if the genders were reversed?

What do you mean by "do the same"?

What's your point?

What do you mean by "do the same"?

:rolleyes:
    Think on it for a while.

:rolleyes:
    Think on it for a while.

I did.

Your post is vague in the extreme and pretty nonsensical.

I asked you to clarify.

If you don't want to or can't, fine.

Sometimes it’s the shear bravery of a man that does invade a woman’s personal space.
    Or a woman who invades a mans private space.
    That provokes love between 2 people to be born.

It’s the circumstances that create differences of opinion, sometimes it’s welcomed, sometimes it’s not.

I myself have touched tens of women’s arms, in all kinds of situations, a few of those times that movement played a part in letting that woman know that I am a loving caring approachable person.

Literally billions of good strong relationships have started with a single touch.

Your stance creates fear, distance and animosity

Have you ever creeply faced a bush waiting for a 17 year old girl in an isolated area who you then try and grab?

This is the only part of your last few posts I agree with - the circumstances create differences of opinion. In these particular circumstances, the girl made it clear to the guy on both occasions that she wasn’t interested in having anything to do with him. She actively had to go out of her way to try and avoid him when he stood directly in her path, blocking her way and trying to touch her. The first occasion as noted by the panel of judges was opportunistic, the second occasion was premeditated, in spite of how the circumstances of their first encounter had gone.

The girl had every right to make a complaint because this guy didn’t appear to care about backing off when it was made clear to him that she didn’t want anything to do with him. His excuse that he “just wanted a friend” just isn’t credible, given the circumstances. He was deliberately trying to impose himself upon her and wasn’t going to accept that she had ignored him. She has every right to ignore him, he’s not entitled to attention from anyone just because he wants their attention.

I did.

Your post is vague in the extreme and pretty nonsensical.

I asked you to clarify.

If you don't want to or can't, fine.

Right. Perhaps I can simplify it and say would you react the same if the genders were reversed and a girl was touching the arm/waist of a boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Have you ever creeply faced a bush waiting for a 17 year old girl in an isolated area who you then try and grab?

Here man come on you don't know if this fella was lying in wait for this girl or if they just happen across each other on the same route to school or something, your painting him as some stalker/predator following her and pouncing on her from the shadows.

What the hell kinda question is that?

• Advertisement

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Here man come on you don't know if this fella was lying in wait for this girl or if they just happen across each other on the same route to school or something, your painting him as some stalker/predator following her and pouncing on her from the shadows.

No I'm not.

She is. The person that was actually there.

The Police and Magistrates agreed.

Again if it were your young daughter this happened to you would just write it off as an a shy lad not knowing better?

Advertisement