Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy touches girls arm, faces 10 years for sexual assault

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

I know this guy who was with me at the time in a nightclub, he saw this girl he liked, he undid the zip on his jeans, pulled it out and walked right up to her like that and kissed her.

She wasn’t expecting it

Was completely taken by surprise by it

And yet there still together now, 15 years later!!

It’s an extreme example I know, but it’s true, and it really happened, they have 4 kids now. Each one of them not knowingly owing there very existence to that moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Midster wrote: »
    I know this guy who was with me at the time in a nightclub, he saw this girl he liked, he undid the zip on his jeans, pulled it out and walked right up to her like that and kissed her.

She wasn’t expecting it

It’s an extreme example I know, but it’s true, and it really happened, they have 4 kids now. Each one of them not knowingly owing there very existence to that moment.

I too have a range of extraordinary yet convenient anecdotes at my disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,663 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

She wasn’t expecting it

And like you said earlier- the circumstances could have gone the other way, in which his advances were unwelcome, and the girl he approached has a right to make a complaint against him. If he repeated his actions, as the guy in this case did when he was ignored the first time, then neither he nor you can be surprised when she makes a complaint against him. How much shìte do you imagine people are supposed to put up with exactly? You’re not entitled to treat people like that and expect there should be no consequences. That’s why this chap found himself in the dock, and your friend could have easily found himself in the dock too if the girl decided to make a complaint against him. It’s as though you imagine you don’t have to be aware of how other people might not welcome your actions, like your friend just sauntering up to strangers with his mickey out. Fcuking weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I like to know at what point this school girl should have waited before reporting him?

5th or 6th, waited until it developed into a far more serious assault maybe?

You'd have the same Edgelords on here blaming her for not reporting him sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Times have changed.

Thankfully these days women no longer have to accept your unwanted advances or pretend they like it when strange men casually touch them like its their right.

It's creepy as ****. It's perfectly possible to flirt without touching. Try it. You might even have more success with the ladies by not acting like a creep.

• Advertisement

She wasn’t expecting it

That's disgusting, and now he would be charged with indecent exposure. What an animal. And she must have either had no self respect or self esteem, to allow herself to be treated like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

AulWan wrote: »
    Times have changed.

Thankfully these days women no longer have to accept your unwanted advances or pretend they like it when strange men casually touch them like its their right.

It's creepy as ****. It's perfectly possible to flirt without touching. Try it. You might even have more success with the ladies by not acting like a creep.

Nah, cant trust em not to get you with some charge if they don't fancy you back.
    If I wind up single again I'm going gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Boggles wrote: »
    I like to know at what point this school girl should have waited before reporting him?

5th or 6th, waited until it developed into a far more serious assault maybe?

You'd have the same Edgelords on here blaming her for not reporting him sooner.

What percentage of men are rapists? Really, honest answer?

As a sidenote, would you be worried about a woman turning into a rapist?

I 100% agree.

Now a man "concealing" themselves with the "aid of a hedge" and lying in wait for a school girl that doesn't know him and then he proceeds to try and and touch her is illegal, it is illegal for a very good reason. Surely you agree with that.

We can't have young strange men stalking school girls, correct? Not in a normal society?

Trying to conflate what actually happened to the school girl in this instance with "sure a woman touched before in a pub" is beyond silly.

:rolleyes:

What percentage of men are rapists? Really, honest answer?

I don't see how that is relevant.

A more pertinent question would be, how many men who display the predatory acts this guy did go on to commit further sexual assaults?
    As a sidenote, would you be worried about a woman turning into a rapist?

I don't really see what gender has to do with

If a woman was stalking random school girls or boys like this cretin she should definitely be arrested and charged.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Go on so lad.

What should have happened in this case.

She should have just shrugged it off and gone on with her life, the stupid young bint?

I don't see how that is relevant.

A more pertinent question would be, how many men who display the predatory acts this guy did go on to commit further sexual assaults?

I don't really see what gender has to do with

If a woman was stalking random school girls or boys like this cretin she should definitely be arrested and charged.

How in the world is that pertinent when the whole point of the question was to highlight the fact that your painting all men with the rape brush because of a minority of men?

And, yes, gender is pertinent and your assumption is absolutely and positively false.

Do you honestly believe that an 18 year old girl would have the cops called for 'stalking' a 17 year old boy? Really?

How in the world is that pertinent when the whole point of the question was to highlight the fact that your painting all men with the rape brush because of a minority of men?

WTF, is there something wrong with you? :confused:

I have discussed what happened in this case and this case only.

Put down the coolade, whoever you are mad at, it sure shouldn't be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What ever happened to being flirty, or being touchy feely. I know plenty of women who’s whole personality revolves around being those things.
    So you think some men aren’t the same? You want to make there whole personalities illegal now.
    Some of the women I’ve known have stuttered, blushed and deliberately rubbed themselves up against the man they were after in order to get his attention.

You want to outlaw anyone making any kind of forward advances.

And for those who’s heart really does stop when they see the woman of there dreams walk in the room, to nervous to talk properly, to nervous to even stand without shaking legs, they go against everything to awkwardly say hello and ask for her number.

Let’s face it you just hate men. Period

I tho k you might be reducing people's personality of you think their entire personality revolves around being flirty. That might be all you see or pay attention to, but people are more Complex than that. But even if they were that simple as you suggest. They are free to do as they like with each other.

I personally am not offended by someone touching my arm. It probably wouldn't stand out in memory. But I know other people don't have to like the things I like. So I wouldn't touch a stranger without knowing what they like. It's pretty simple really.

I certainly don't hate men. Sorry to hear you feel hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Hopefully, this gets reviewed by the Crown Court on appeal.

That's disgusting, and now he would be charged with indecent exposure. What an animal. And she must have either had no self respect or self esteem, to allow herself to be treated like that.

There are exceptions of course but mostly all of the women I personally have had relationships with, have all said quite openly how they prefer the bad boy type, the tattooed, the aggressive looking, the rough in bed.

For some women it’s a huge turn on, in a conversation these women can go from ordinary mundane thoughts, to wild sexual internal thoughts of fantasy.
    For some women men who can achieve this are a preference.

So a man is no longer allowed to take risks in conversation, no longer allowed to reach out and perhaps steel a kiss to see how she reacts.

You wish everyone of us to approach sex, love in the same way and make every alternative illegal.

Well no offense, but it sounds like a magnolia world to me.

And in a world we’re the only color allowed is magnolia, people scream out for variety

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Hopefully, this gets reviewed by the Crown Court on appeal.

I don't know what reviewed means.

I imagine the appeal court would agree that young male adults should not be touching school girls for self gratification.

Or what specific point of law do you think the Judge erred on?

There are exceptions of course but mostly all of the women I personally have had relationships with, have all said quite openly how they prefer the bad boy type, the tattooed, the aggressive looking, the rough in bed.

For some women it’s a huge turn on, in a conversation these women can go from ordinary mundane thoughts, to wild sexual internal thoughts of fantasy.

So a man is no longer allowed to take risks in conversation, no longer allowed to reach out and perhaps steel a kiss to see how she reacts.

You wish everyone of us to approach sex, love in the same way and make every alternative illegal.

And in a world we’re the only color allowed is magnolia, people scream out for variety

I feel sorry for you. The days were a male just grabbed the female of his choice and dragged her back to his cave, are over. Sorry if this threatens your masculine ego. Actually, no, not sorry at all.

I certainly don't hate men. Sorry to hear you feel hated.

I don’t believe I’m alone in saying I think men as a species feel like we are being attacked, and turned into monsters.

We are not monsters.

Men have always taken risks, but now you are making the consequences so real for us we are eventually going to stop taking risks for love.

And women who are sexually attracted to men who take risks and the men who are brave enough to make the first move will be left high and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

What I don't understand is: How can he be convicted on 2 charges of sexual assault when both sides agree that no sexual assault occurred? Is it because of her assertion that he would have touched her breast if she had not moved away? Does that belief on her part constitute sexual assault on his?

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for you. The days were a male just grabbed the female of his choice and dragged her back to his cave, are over. Sorry if this threatens your masculine ego. Actually, no, not sorry at all.

Like I said,

magnolia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I don’t believe I’m alone in saying I think men as a species feel like we are being attacked, and turned into monsters.

We are not monsters.

Men have always taken risks, but now you are making the consequences so real for us we are eventually going to stop taking risks for love.

And women who are sexually attracted to men who take risks and the men who are brave enough to make the first move will be left high and dry.

There’s a huge difference between making the first move and walking up to random women and placing your hands on them.

Magnolia, because I don't find men who behave like neanderthals a turn on?

OK then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We are not monsters.

I don't feel like I'm being attacked and turned into a monster. But like I said in the last post, I don't go around touching people I don't know and expect them to be happy about it. I think things are just changing like things have always changed. Most people will adapt and some will be unable to adapt and will be left behind.

If you don't think you're able to cope with the reality, maybe that's something to work on for you.

Magnolia, because I don't find men who behave like neanderthals a turn on?

OK then.

Magnolia because you expect everyone to have the same preferences as you, by making all the others illegal and or unethical.

Get a grip of yourselves before you judge, what’s wrong for you might be what another has been waiting for there whole lives.

But, both the chancer and the waiter are left high and dry. Forced to conform by a society that has become so thin skinned that touching a woman’s arm lands the chancer in jail.

This terrifies the rest of us, the chancers stop taking chancers, and the waiters have to make do with a librarian.

Magnolia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,663 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

We are not monsters.

What, like your mate approaching women with his mickey hanging out? How romantic :rolleyes: What happened to the shy guy who couldn’t speak to women and the human race was doomed if women complained about their behaviour and women would only have themselves to thank for the extinction of the human race?

You’re being ridiculous, basically. Nobody is suggesting men are monsters, but when you use examples to make your point of your mate approaching women with his mickey hanging out, in a thread where a 17 year old girl wanted nothing to do with the guy, your example doesn’t do anything to defend men, it makes us look like animals.

You’re basically saying women have a choice between being approached by a creep who either can’t express himself, or can only express himself by waving his cock at women, or else women will be left high and dry. Fortunately for the sanity of the human race, those aren’t people’s only choices, and for the minority of men whom you speak of who think the human race would die out without their attempts at romantic gestures, I think humanity is safe enough without their heroism :rolleyes:

You still haven’t been able to address when a guys advances are unwelcome and he persists, as were the circumstances in this case.

WTF, is there something wrong with you? :confused:

I have discussed what happened in this case and this case only.

Put down the coolade, whoever you are mad at, it sure shouldn't be me.

Isn't that the definition of gas lighting? :P

Your argument holds no water what so ever, literally billions of really good relationships have started because of a single touch, or a stolen kiss.

There is a world of difference between being forward, making the first move, touching someone's shoulder, brushing hair out of their eyes etc. in an appropriate setting and making repeated, unwanted physical contact with a schoolgirl on a railway bridge after she's already made it known that she finds it unacceptable.

Your reluctance to accept this and attempts to muddy the waters is ridiculous.

Now you're trying to conflate being a 'bad boy' with whipping your flute out in a nightclub and sauntering over towards someone. Have you taken leave of your senses? What your mate did is illegal, for good reason. trying to paint him as 'the Fonz' is laughable.

There is a world of difference between being forward, making the first move, touching someone's shoulder, brushing hair out of their eyes etc. in an appropriate setting and making repeated, unwanted physical contact with a schoolgirl on a railway bridge after she's already made it known that she finds it unacceptable.

Your reluctance to accept this and attempts to muddy the waters is ridiculous.

Now you're trying to conflate being a 'bad boy' with whipping your flute out in a nightclub and sauntering over towards someone. Have you taken leave of your senses? What your mate did is illegal, for good reason. trying to paint him as 'the Fonz' is laughable.

Wasn't he a schoolboy also?

Edit: Yes, they were actually studying their a levels together at the same school.

• Advertisement

Wasn't he a schoolboy also?

Edit: Yes, they were actually studying their a levels together at the same school.

Indeed he was, the language used in the original article led me to believe he was in college at the time. They were both schoolkids, he was 18 she was 17.

Advertisement