Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy touches girls arm, faces 10 years for sexual assault

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Paul Gascoigne stuck his tongue in a strangers mouth and made some comment about her being attractive ''for a fat lass''. He got away with it and was found not guilty of sexual assault, his excuse was that he was trying to boost her confidence. Touching an elbow and waist sexual assault, ramming your tongue down a strangers throat, not sexual assault. HMmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

blueshade wrote: »
    Paul Gascoigne stuck his tongue in a strangers mouth and made some comment about her being attractive ''for a fat lass''. He got away with it and was found not guilty of sexual assault, his excuse was that he was trying to boost her confidence. Touching an elbow and waist sexual assault, ramming your tongue down a strangers throat, not sexual assault. HMmm....
    Different trials, different circumstances tbh. Comparing apples and oranges.

I don't know the nitty-gritty, but Gascoigne went to trial for something which even a decade ago would have been laughed off by the cops.

The most stark difference between the two cases is that Gascoigne's was a one-off and not premeditated. And he convinced the court that he didn't do it for sexual gratification. The guy in the OP failed to convince a court of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He got a fine, 200 hours community service and has to sign on the sex offenders register for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Boggles wrote: »
    He got a fine, 200 hours community service and has to sign on the sex offenders register for 5 years.

Hopefully that’s the end off it and he never stands charged with this kind of thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7606833/Shy-awkward-student-told-pay-250-schoolgirl-touched-arm-waist.html

Precedent has been set lads, never touch another woman again or you're fcked, my female boss just rubbed my shoulder and she rubbed my arm last week, I wonder what her intentions were???? Think I might call the cops.......

• Advertisement

spodoinkle wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7606833/Shy-awkward-student-told-pay-250-schoolgirl-touched-arm-waist.html

Precedent has been set lads, never touch another woman again or you're fcked, my female boss just rubbed my shoulder and she rubbed my arm last week, I wonder what her intentions were???? Think I might call the cops.......

If you behave like the lad in the story, then stop touching women is probably the best advice. Particularly if you don’t see anything strange or wrong with what he did, then yes, put a blanket ban on yourself touching women or children or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I think there's a lot more to the story than what is being portrayed in the media.

Most women, while uncomfortable with uninvited touching, really wouldn't be arsed pursuing someone through the court over an arm touch.

Mehtinks this lad made a nuisance of himself more than once.

Griffiths, a first-year criminology student who is now studying at Durham University

Yeah, makes sense.

His criminology degree will be a waste of time now that he has a criminal record.

His criminology degree will be a waste of time now that he has a criminal record.

Not really.

Crime has evolved. It's not just police forces hiring now.

Cyber Security firms for instance are actively recruiting people with qualifications and experience.

Hopefully he just gains enough insight into why he committed the crime and adjusts his behavior going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think there's a lot more to the story than what is being portrayed in the media.

Most women, while uncomfortable with uninvited touching, really wouldn't be arsed pursuing someone through the court over an arm touch.

Mehtinks this lad made a nuisance of himself more than once.

He did. He did it to her twice.

Not really.

Crime has evolved. It's not just police forces hiring now.

Cyber Security firms for instance are actively recruiting people with qualifications and experience.

Hopefully he just gains enough insight into why he committed the crime and adjusts his behavior going forward.

Maybe. But any public service, prisons, police, mental health forensics and lots more, would be ruled out. I’d imagine the private sector expects the public sector to give people a few years experience before they hire them. But there might Be a private company who’s willing to take on a graduate with no experience and a criminal record, to work in criminology.

It will have narrowed his options a lot but who knows.

Maybe. But any public service, prisons, police, mental health forensics and lots more, would be ruled out. I’d imagine the private sector expects the public sector to give people a few years experience before they hire them. But there might Be a private company who’s willing to take on a graduate with no experience and a criminal record, to work in criminology.

It will have narrowed his options a lot but who knows.

The cyber security firms are light years ahead of policing when it comes to cyber crime.

They look for graduates ideally in criminology, psychology and tech.

He would be more in demand by the likes of Paddy Power than the met.

The cyber security firms are light years ahead of policing when it comes to cyber crime.

They look for graduates ideally in criminology, psychology and tech.

He would be more in demand by the likes of Paddy Power than the met.

Ok. But do they want someone with a criminal record?

Ok. But do they want someone with a criminal record?

I imagine he won't put it on his CV. :pac:

I imagine he won't put it on his CV. :pac:

I imagine it wouldn't matter because a security firm will do a background check. It's called a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-accused-of-sexually-assaulting-medical-student-leaves-court-and-doesnt-want-to-proceed-with-case-court-hears-38627070.html

Is there really a need to name him and put his picture in the paper before the verdict. It really seems very minor thing to be brought to court unless there is more to the story.

I imagine it wouldn't matter because a security firm will do a background check. It's called a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, in the UK.

Same as vetting here but it only applies to certain sectors, health care, working with children, etc.

Even convicted criminals are entitled to privacy rights.

On a side note, cyber security firms would actively recruit criminals.

Not what this guy did obviously.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-accused-of-sexually-assaulting-medical-student-leaves-court-and-doesnt-want-to-proceed-with-case-court-hears-38627070.html

Is there really a need to name him and put his picture in the paper before the verdict. It really seems very minor thing to be brought to court unless there is more to the story.

Minor or not you can't grab girls in the street.

Also it's only a story because he fecked off mid trial.

Same as vetting here but it only applies to certain sectors, health care, working with children, etc.

Even convicted criminals are entitled to privacy rights.

On a side note, cyber security firms would actively recruit criminals.

Not what this guy did obviously.

And Garda vetting surely applies to people working in crime prevention...
    Right so back to my original point then? He's gone from having all the normal routes to use a criminology degree to private sector, cyber security firms who might not mind him having a criminal record for sexual assault. Sounds like his degree in criminology is most likely a waste of time now.

• Advertisement

And Garda vetting surely applies to people working in crime prevention...
    Right so back to my original point then? He's gone from having all the normal routes to use a criminology degree to private sector, cyber security firms who might not mind him having a criminal record for sexual assault. Sounds like his degree in criminology is most likely a waste of time now.

Chances are he won't finish it or he will switch anyway.

Like I said if he even gets an insight into his own crime it will not be a complete waste of time.

Sounds like he is from affluence anyway, he will be grand as long he stops stalking young girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I don't think that would be interested at all as the answer would obviously be no.

I imagine you see an insightful analogy in there somewhere.

Just seeing that there is obvious precedent established in this case where you can be guilty of one offense and instead be arbitrarily found guilty of a much more serious offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

This one to me definitely seems an over-reaction if that's all there is too it and it seems that's all there is because she wanted to withdraw the complaint.

If every woman went to court because someone made a comment in the street or tried touching them in the early hours then the courts service would collapse fairly quickly.

Please note though that I think the OP is a totally different situation, it's not the early hours of the morning in Harcourt Street, it's daytime in a place you would expect to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Minor or not you can't grab girls in the street.

Would ya stop. Context and intention is everything. Life is not a contact-free sport.

When people are drunk, they become more tactile with strangers, both men and women.

It's an absurdity to suggest that this should become a prosecutable offense.

Would ya stop. Context and intention is everything. Life is not a contact-free sport.

I never claimed it was.

What exactly was it about my very simple point that confused you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I wonder what punishment should the girl who touched Nick Jonas get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I wonder what punishment should the girl who touched Nick Jonas get?

Likely already got Cooties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

gwalk wrote: »
    the exageration of how he was going to touch her breast is a bit far fetched, as for saying it ruined her chaces for Oxford hahaha

honestly, this generation is ruined

This guy apparently knew his ABC ...

Arm..............Breast .............C........

....-heek

Advertisement