Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Busy day today

Western Intermediate Hurling final between Ballysaggart and Ardmore takes place at 2.30. Be good for Ballysaggart and the Bennett brothers to play senior club hurling in Waterford but Ardmore wont lie down easy. They enjoyed there year last year after the AI win no doubt but really knuckled down this year

Eastern Intermediate hurling final Ballygunner Intermediates vs Dunhill at 3.15.

Eastern Junior A hurling final Ballydurn vs Tramore at 1.30

Senior football semis finals also take place
    Rathgormack vs Stradbally (5.30)
    Ballinacourty vs The Nire (7pm)

East Junior A Hurling Final- Ballydurn 3-14- Tramore 0-12

Ballydurn will play either Abbeyside or St Marys (West Final 12th Oct) in the county Junior A final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Busy day today

Western Intermediate Hurling final between Ballysaggart and Ardmore takes place at 2.30. Be good for Ballysaggart and the Bennett brothers to play senior club hurling in Waterford but Ardmore wont lie down easy. They enjoyed there year last year after the AI win no doubt but really knuckled down this year

Eastern Intermediate hurling final Ballygunner Intermediates vs Dunhill at 3.15.

Eastern Junior A hurling final Ballydurn vs Tramore at 1.30

Senior football semis finals also take place
    Rathgormack vs Stradbally (5.30)
    Ballinacourty vs The Nire (7pm)

I presume them intermediate finals are basically county semi finals?? Just asking as the winners of Waterford intermediate play Kerry Senior champions in Munster....

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

So we have Ballygunner v Ballysaggart county intermediate final. What are the official permutations regarding Ballygunner if they win it? Do they go up automatically? Do they have a choice? Do they represent Waterford in the Munster club?

• Advertisement

cul beag wrote: »
    So we have Ballygunner v Ballysaggart county intermediate final. What are the official permutations regarding Ballygunner if they win it? Do they go up automatically? Do they have a choice? Do they represent Waterford in the Munster club?

Finished 3-21-1-9 very impressive by Ballygunner B

Ballysaggart will rep Waterford in Munster not matter the final result

Not sure about who goes up to senior. Having 2 senior teams in Ballygunner would be a bit odd tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

Deskjockey wrote: »
    So the Limerick senior clubs are strong but then Ballygunner beat the Limerick Champions na Piarsaigh last year in the Munster Club Championship??
    So did na Piarsaigh have a bad day against them, or did Ballygunner just have a bad day vs Ballyhale Shamrocks??

Remember, Ballygunner beat na Piarsaigh of Limerick who had contrsted 2 County Titles, played in 2 All Ireland club final and played in 2 Munster club finals in the space of 24 months plus their top players had won an all ireland with limerick in that time frame also. By the time they got to Ballygunner they were stuck to the ground. I think if they come out of Limerick they’ll go hard at it again.

Ballygunner on the other hand struggled to get over Ballyea and Midelton at home. They’ll win the club championship here but id be surprised if they aren’t turned over in Munster as they are on the road this year and in my opinion not as strong/experienced as last yr.

Club hurling is at an all time low and imo the Co board through game’s development have been piss poor in getting other clubs up to a standard where they can compete with Ballygunner. There’s no one on the Ballygunner team (intermediate/senior) that are top class prospects for Intercounty. The only player who looks a different gravy and can be potentially the next Paul Flynn to come from Ballygunner is Patrick Fitzgerald.

At the moment Ballygunner are blazing a trail (&fair play to them) but other clubs and the Co board need to get their act together cause they are only getting stronger im afraid:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

Patrickswell wins Limerick- If Ballygunner get over DLS it’s wide open for them but it won’t be easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

If there's 2 Ballygunner teams good enough to play senior then they should be promoted, obviously have them in different groups etc and try and avoid a fixture between the 2 but if they end up meeting a county final so be it

Spatters wrote: »
    Patrickswell wins Limerick- If Ballygunner get over DLS it’s wide open for them but it won’t be easy!

Ballygunner/DLS will have to beat the Clare champions before they might face Patrickswell

Sixmilebridge under Davy or Cratloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Ballysaggart have home advanatge against our Kerry champions... does anyone know if the game will be in ballysaggart or elsewhere??

Ballysaggart have home advanatge against our Kerry champions... does anyone know if the game will be in ballysaggart or elsewhere??

Probably in Fraher Field

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

The best Waterford intermediate team should be allowed to go senior and represent the county at munster club, end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Spatters wrote: »
    Remember, Ballygunner beat na Piarsaigh of Limerick who had contrsted 2 County Titles, played in 2 All Ireland club final and played in 2 Munster club finals in the space of 24 months plus their top players had won an all ireland with limerick in that time frame also. By the time they got to Ballygunner they were stuck to the ground. I think if they come out of Limerick they’ll go hard at it again.

Ballygunner on the other hand struggled to get over Ballyea and Midelton at home. They’ll win the club championship here but id be surprised if they aren’t turned over in Munster as they are on the road this year and in my opinion not as strong/experienced as last yr.

Club hurling is at an all time low and imo the Co board through game’s development have been piss poor in getting other clubs up to a standard where they can compete with Ballygunner. There’s no one on the Ballygunner team (intermediate/senior) that are top class prospects for Intercounty. The only player who looks a different gravy and can be potentially the next Paul Flynn to come from Ballygunner is Patrick Fitzgerald.

At the moment Ballygunner are blazing a trail (&fair play to them) but other clubs and the Co board need to get their act together cause they are only getting stronger im afraid:-(

How many Paul Flynn, ken Mcgrath etc types have limerick produced in the last ten years.....none I would think.....yet they are/were regarded as unbeatable at start of championship this year. Since 1993 (I think) in the club championship Ballygunner and mt sion have dominated De La Salle won 3 titles and a few other like Passage and Ballyduff upper won one.......yet this past 26 years Waterford have been the most competitive since the 1950’s/60’s.....

Senior football semi final results
    Rathgormack 0-14- Stradbally 0-8
    Ballinacourty 0-16- The Nire 1-9

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

cul beag wrote: »

No Ballygunnar have a senior club so they can’t represent in Munster even if they win.

The Munster q-final is Ballysaggart v Causeway (Kerry senior champions).

I can’t say I know much about the standard of Kerry hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I would imagine it will be Lismore, the local town. Ballysaggarts pitch migt not be big enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Road-Hog wrote: »
    How many Paul Flynn, ken Mcgrath etc types have limerick produced in the last ten years.....none I would think.....yet they are/were regarded as unbeatable at start of championship this year. Since 1993 (I think) in the club championship Ballygunner and mt sion have dominated De La Salle won 3 titles and a few other like Passage and Ballyduff upper won one.......yet this past 26 years Waterford have been the most competitive since the 1950’s/60’s.....
    We had two teams winning in the 2000s. Now we have one.

conor05 wrote: »
    No Ballygunnar have a senior club so they can’t represent in Munster even if they win.

The Munster q-final is Ballysaggart v Causeway (Kerry senior champions).

I can’t say I know much about the standard of Kerry hurling.

Will the same apply to Abbeyside who are in the West Junior A final and If they go on to win the junior A title ??

Ballysaggart with the Bennets could do well in Munster. Only a few years ago lost the AI junior final in a replay

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I see that Kieran Bennett got Man of the Match in the Western Intermediate final and I think he was very good in the semi-final as well. He is an excellent hurler who did well in his senior appearances in 2017 and yet has hardly been seen since. Pádraig Fanning ignored him while sticking with players who, in my view, are clearly inferior. Hopefully he will get a fair crack of the whip from Liam Cahill and he will have further opportunities with Ballysaggart to further showcase his talents. He has been typecast as a defender but he is showing with Ballysaggart that he knows where the posts are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

If Ballygunner can’t go up to senior nor can they represent Waterford in the Munster intermediate championship, does that not basically mean Ballysaggart will be playing senior next year and will represent Waterford in the club championship? So the county final is a bit of a bonus game for them where it doesn’t really matter the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Cake Man wrote: »
    If Ballygunner can’t go up to senior nor can they represent Waterford in the Munster intermediate championship, does that not basically mean Ballysaggart will be playing senior next year and will represent Waterford in the club championship? So the county final is a bit of a bonus game for them where it doesn’t really matter the outcome?

I heard yesterday Ballygunner will be allowed up with 2 seniotr teams and will be kept apart in group stages

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

I heard yesterday Ballygunner will be allowed up with 2 seniotr teams and will be kept apart in group stages

Why would they be kept apart in the group stages. Already they're been treated differently than other teams, possibly gaining an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I see that Kieran Bennett got Man of the Match in the Western Intermediate final and I think he was very good in the semi-final as well. He is an excellent hurler who did well in his senior appearances in 2017 and yet has hardly been seen since. Pádraig Fanning ignored him while sticking with players who, in my view, are clearly inferior. Hopefully he will get a fair crack of the whip from Liam Cahill and he will have further opportunities with Ballysaggart to further showcase his talents. He has been typecast as a defender but he is showing with Ballysaggart that he knows where the posts are.

Was injured for most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

They have the option to stay down intermidiate also. If they win it twice in a row they automatically have to go up.

If they take the option to have 2 senior teams, they will have to name there panel for the year and they wont be able to take players from the b team to play on the a. similar to thurlas sarsfields this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Finished 3-21-1-9 very impressive by Ballygunner B

Ballysaggart will rep Waterford in Munster not matter the final result

Not sure about who goes up to senior. Having 2 senior teams in Ballygunner would be a bit odd tbh

How the hell did Dunhill get to the final if they were that far off the pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

hardybuck wrote: »
    How the hell did Dunhill get to the final if they were that far off the pace?

They beat portlaw in the semi by the same margin, the inter championship is very poor in the east

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Giveitfong wrote: »

What's his best position? I remember Derek blooding him a full back in early league appearances before using him at wing back when needed. Never really sure where he played for club.

I hope Liam Cahill gets the best out of Shane Bennett. I think he would be great out around the middle of the field and not in full forward line. He can link up with his brother without being stuck in beside him.

Any word on Brick coming back for next season ???

Moran prob will give it another year at most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

There needs to be an all county intermediate hurling championship pronto

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement