Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what time will you be back at?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Delighted for you F, congrats! Sub 4 hour is defo their for the taking.
    Looking forward to that 18 mile session next weekend though, sorry we will part ways now!!

Cheers J- if I keep writing it then I might believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Congrats F on the race and new PB. From running in Charleville today, I felt the same confidence as you during the race - its a great feeling.

I would agree with J and say sub 4 is definitely on the cards if training continues to go well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done ! Super time . That sand at the end was awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great running and great report too. I could feel your strength coming through the report. Congrats on the PB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

That sounds like the perfect HM, you sounded so strong throughout, there is definitely more to come too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Brilliant racing - congrats on the PB. A solid, confident run. Textbook!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fantastic performance F... You were strong and in control throughout - a really well judged and executed race. Well done. Great report too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I was looking forward to reading this and it didn't disappoint. That was a fantastic run. Great to read about how confident you were, too. Brilliant stuff and so well deserved!

Thanks all, really appreciate the kind words! It’s not every race that goes that well, as I know all too well, so it’s great when it does happen.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done ! Super time . That sand at the end was awful!

Yeah the sand was just weird to run on, especially if trying to get a sprint finish, and on a tight corner too, only fault I could find with a well organised event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yido1882

Great report & performance, well deserved from all your training.

P&D WEEK 13: tiredness and fatigue set in but threw in a very disciplined half marathon.

Plan for the week was to maintain the mileage but cut out the speed stuff to try and help recovery post Ratoath race.

Monday: rest day

Tuesday: plan was for 8 miles general aerobic and I got it done late in the evening with an average pace of 10:27- felt fine and positive that I'd kept it slower

Wednesday: plan was for 9 miles with 5*1000meters at 5k pace. Nah didn't fancy that at all after the weekends race. Ran 9 miles at general aerobic pace of 10:16. No issues other than its dark in the evenings and I can't run in fields anymore as there's no light.

Thursday was a rest day

Friday: plan was for 12 miles long run, was able to go in later to work so got out running at 6am. Avg pace was 10:19. The run went good but that afternoon the energy levels went through the floor. Was really conscious I had a tough 24+ hours of running so worried about the legs. Bed early and lots of hydration Friday evening was the plan.

Saturday: plan was for 18 miles with 14 at marathon pace of 9:00 min miles. I'd learnt a tough lesson from Frank Duffy in thinking this was anything other than a tough session. Was still feeling very tired when I got to the park around 8am and I cut short the planned 5 miles pre half marathon race series to 3.5 miles with 1 mile at 9:02. Legs were feeling very tired. Got back to the car and got ready, took some recovery drink and headed down to the start line. Didn't help myself by thinking it was a 9am start rather than 9:30!

Although it was a training run for me it is still a great buzz being among the race crowds in the park.

Dublin Race Series half marathon

Miles 1-3: 9:00, 9:06 and 8:55

Headed off and immediately felt myself trying to put the foot down, a number of times I deliberately changed stride to slow myself back to planned paces, I liked this, this is good discipline. Felt focused but in a different way. Legs felt heavy but nothing too concerning.

Miles 4-6: 8:58, 8:58 and 8:58

Ticking along nicely now, wasn't struggling but was feeling it a bit now. Kept focused, still had the same runners around me, a few runners now falling back and a few sprinting by us :confused: . The temperature was climbing too.

Miles 7-9: 8:55, 8:56 and 8:49

That climb out of the park was the main memory of these miles, it's not a crazy hill, but all I remember here was the increasing number of runners walking or struggling, me I was maintaining and actually getting stronger which was reflected in the paces here. Felt great.

Miles 10-13: 8:49, 8:44, 8:48 and 8:53

Again, similar to Ratoath, at this stage around mile 10, I knew I had this MP training run in the bag. Just running, maintaining, in control, all going as planned. The climb up to 12th mile marker is a tough one, lots of walkers, I kept focused on controlling my paces until it flattened out, then I could relax as I was nearly home.

Finished 1:57, avg pace was 8:54- delighted!

Happy with that considering I felt very fatigued and tired from Friday afternoon. Couldn't leave the park without meeting some of the 2018 DCM graduates, met Huzzah!, Mr Guappa and ReeReeG (thanks for the cake!) a novice PY (M), raging I missed the others especially Rossi after an incredible 9 min pb!- brilliant.

Was meant to finish the week off with 5 miles recovery today but left it and hopefully 2 days before the next run will help recovery.

Weekly miles: 45.7
    Year: 1207

I'm fairly ready and looking forward to tapering at this stage- 3 weeks tapering can't come quick enough.

Sports massage to be booked for some evening this week.

Plan for the week ahead as follows:

Tuesday: 8 miles with 5*600m at 5k
    Wednesday: 11miles
    Friday: 4 mile recovery
    Saturday: 10k tune up race
    Sunday: 17 miles long run

I might take some miles off of that week depending on how the legs feel after Tuesday's run, to try and help recovery, and still not sure what to do about the tune up race planned for Saturday.

2 hard weeks left!!!!!

Additional Edit:

I’ve had enough of Marathon training, this may be a short term feeling, but as of this weekend, I can’t bloody wait for November. Dcm 18, Belfast 19 and Dcm 19 are taking their toll more mentally than physically

Warning to future self: DONT SIGN UP TO SPRING MARATHONS OVER THE WINTER!!!

Speaking to a someone soon after saturdays half marathon, I said and still believe it, I can’t do anymore to go sub 4 than I have this past 18 months, I’m ready, I feel ready, pacing on the day will at this stage be probably the most critical factor in giving myself the best chance.

Is there actually a taper period in our training plans, I'm failing to see where it starts :D

Treviso wrote: »
    Is there actually a taper period in our training plans, I'm failing to see where it starts :D

I’ll be honest T, I’ve looked at the plan for the last 36 hours thinking “that’s not a bloody taper, there’s no way that’s a taper” . I’ll be dropping more miles during those 3 weeks or I’ll never make the start let alone the finish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

That's great pacing on Saturday on tired legs! Well done.

That's great pacing on Saturday on tired legs! Well done.

Thanks A, appreciate that.

You’ve tried these P&D plans a few times from my brief read of your log, a couple of questions if you don’t mind?

Is the taper a bit harder than you’d expect?

Did you feel ready, this is the plan that has given me a real confidence ( despite what might go wrong on the day!) that I’m as ready as I can be?

The tune up races, late in the plan- did you time trial them or did you find a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Thanks A, appreciate that.

You’ve tried these P&D plans a few times from my brief read of your log, a couple of questions if you don’t mind?

Is the taper a bit harder than you’d expect?

Did you feel ready, this is the plan that has given me a real confidence ( despite what might go wrong on the day!) that I’m as ready as I can be?

The tune up races, late in the plan- did you time trial them or did you find a race?

I only tried P&D for the first time last year. Unfortunately I came down with something straight after the last long run which laid me up for the first week of taper. After that any taper plan was forgotten and I made it up as I went. I plan to mostly follow the taper this time, but will probably cut the planned mileage down by 10-15%. The 2 miles at MP the week before is definitely worth doing, but I'll cut the total to 5 miles rather than 7. My last run will be a very easy 5 miles on Friday, no running the day before.

The plan itself? I absolutely felt ready last time and from your log you should also be feeling good about the day.

I haven't got any more races planned. I'll probably end up doing a time trial, maybe only 5 miles, on those days.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Treviso wrote: »
    I’ll be honest T, I’ve looked at the plan for the last 36 hours thinking “that’s not a bloody taper, there’s no way that’s a taper” . I’ll be dropping more miles during those 3 weeks or I’ll never make the start let alone the finish!!

I was actually meaning to ask both of ye about this cause scanning forward I couldn't see the big drop off I expected in a taper!! Are ye going to do the 3rd tune up race 2 weeks before DCM? I don't think I will be doing the 4 miles the day before DCM either!

Great weeks training F after your HM effort. Great controlled effort on Saturday too. You are in great shape for that sub 4 hour goal. I know what ya are saying about mental fatigue, this is the first week of the plan that I found a couple of the runs to be a real slog but we are nearly there (we are kinda approaching the Heartbreak Hill of the plan now!!).

Great session in the park on Saturday - a super MP run and good control - that’s good practice for DCM.

I’m over marathon training as well . Wish it was next week so I’d be done with it .

I was actually meaning to ask both of ye about this cause scanning forward I couldn't see the big drop off I expected in a taper!! Are ye going to do the 3rd tune up race 2 weeks before DCM? I don't think I will be doing the 4 miles the day before DCM either!
    Yea I don't see myself doing the 3rd 8-10k race followed by 16m long run, it nearly killed me the first time. Might do a tempo paced parkrun instead. Will keep the rest of the mileage as is but like you, I don't see myself running 4 miles the day before. I might run to and from the Expo from wherever I'm staying - that should be enough.

The 3x1600m session on the 2nd last week is mean to be super tough too

• Advertisement

Yeah lads, definitely won’t follow that taper mileage to the letter, I might race the local park run this Saturday, see how the runs during this week go.

That's a great week there, and a really well controlled run on Saturday. You seem to be absolutely nailing the training. Great to meet you as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Speaking to a someone soon after saturdays half marathon, I said and still believe it, I can’t do anymore to go sub 4 than I have this past 18 months, I’m ready, I feel ready, pacing on the day will at this stage be probably the most critical factor in giving myself the best chance.

I hear you, I am exactly the same. Honestly feel if I don't do it this time around I'll never do it.
    The wife thinks I'm putting too much pressure on myself, and she's probably right, but like yourself , I've put so much into training this time, it's now or never as far as I'm concerned.

P&D week 14: nearly there now!

Monday: plan was for 8m with 5*600meters at 5k pace. Ran this Monday evening, hamstring was still a little tight, but went for 5k pace of 8min miles.

Tuesday: plan was for 11 miles, but hamstring was still tight and with a sports massage booked for Wednesday evening, I cut this session in half to 5.5miles at 10:38 min miles. Wasn't worried, but more just didn't want to push it.

Wednesday: a sports massage with some dry needling, got the all clear with no major issues identified.

Ended up with 2 days off running which was great.

Friday:4mile recovery run with strides on the plan but I forgot/didn't read the strides bit. No bad thing. Run was fine, hamstring felt "bruised" from the needling....I've no idea if that's normal.

Saturday: plan was for 9 miles with 8k-15k tune up race, didn't really fancy a 10k race so thought the local park run would be more than enough. Ran nearly 3miles to and from the park run nice and easy. Met Singer very briefly afterwards, he was getting busier scanning bar codes!!!!!

Park run:

I had no real plan here, a double loop of river valley park, thought I should keep it at sub 8 miles, there is a nasty hill that has to be run up twice.

After pre race instructions, the starter said go!!!

I immediately realised I was too far back, and I'd be weaving around runners for a while, a sharp enough downhill is a tough start to a 5k race. The first mile beeped at 8:11, bloody hell, I better get going.

Mile 2: I settled into a nice pre hill and post hill pace of 7:25, felt good, started moving past runners, hard not to go all out in a 5k race but held some back.

Mile 3: again, kept the pace at 7:25 pre and post "the hill". Felt strong finishing out. If I'd actually thought a bit more about it I could have got under 24mins, but happy with 24:10 for a nice pb.

Sunday: 17m long run per plan, and was absolutely dreading it if I'm honest. Falling asleep on the couch Saturday night at 9:30pm was a good indication I was feeling tired out. Is it taper time yet?? Woke up at 7:30 and on the road for 8:30. Hamstring still feels "bruised" from the dry needling. Plenty of distraction for parts of it as the Dublin bike race passed through Swords. Ended up doing 4 laps of the local fields, I don't know why I wanted to stay local, probably in case I wanted to quit early on the 17m, but I stayed out and got it done, avg pace was 10:10.

One week left, 52 miles per plan including a 20 miler...going to move the days forward a day so I can get the 20 miles done on Saturday and I may also runmute two of the sessions more out of killing the boredom and to get the runs done before I get home from work....ill see if all that goes to plan. However moving the days forward to finish Saturday will mean 5 consecutive running days from last week to this.

Going to start making plans for 2020....Berlin looks great...but including all the incidentals, probably too pricey!

Dry needling can take a few days to recover from. I never feel right after a sports massage don’t mind the needling bit !

Roll on the taper !

Well done F on this week's running, it was a tough old week.

Be careful next week as 5 days consecutive running could be dangerous, especially with the type of sessions on the plan.

Nice week F! I'm currently looking towards 2020 as well - mainly to stop myself getting too absorbed by DCM just yet! I'd say you'll have a bit of fun knocking out PB's all over the shop if you do some shorter stuff for a few months!

P&D WEEK 15: phew!!

This week has been on the horizon mentally, just needed to get through it, get through it and I'd be on to taper, get through it and I will have "survived" another marathon training block. As I've wrote a few times on here, 3 marathon training blocks in 18 months had me wishing the weeks away for a few weeks now, so glad to have made it through...so why was I looking at the spring marathon thread earlier today then :eek:

Monday: 7m with some strides was on the plan, no real issues, got it done, only I was absolutely soaked through Monday evening. Avg pace was 10:09.

Tuesday: plan was for 10 miles with 4*1200meters at 5k pace with 50-90% recovery in between, this was a beast of a session on paper. Decided to run home from work to kill a few birds with the same stone. Weather played ball for the most part. Running through town can be stop start but wasn't too bad at all. Really enjoyed this tough session, felt on high from it for a few days, a great confidence booster of a session.

Tried to keep each section below 8mins, not quite 5k pace but happy how it went.

Rest day Wednesday

Thursday: plan was for 11 miles, so again I decided to runmute this. The weather was atrocious all day but cleared up towards the evening,and only got soaked for the last 3 miles. Avg pace was 9:35, faster than planned but having left work late and herself had plans, I kinda had to do this session quicker than planned. Was also very dark running through river valley park for the last mile. I also ran home in work socks which wasn't ideal, kept thinking I'd have a blister before I got home!

Friday: was supposed to run 4 mile recovery but I skipped it

Saturday: the last of the 3 20 milers on the plan, get though this and I was on the home straight. Woke up and the motivation wasn't there until well after I ate my breakfast. On the road at 8am, a decent morning, decided to run into town and back out again, felt like the high elevation on the return leg and on the higher end of the mileage would be a nice test.

Broke the run into 5 separate sections and ticked them off as I passed each one, a nice way to distract myself from watching miles tick along on the watch. Was also trying to run a faster second half to toughen up the 20 miles. That was a fairly last minute decision but I think it worked well.

All in all a good morning to have under the belt. Garmin heart rate on the watch was 137, so doesn't seem to have been too taxing either.

My hamstring isn't sore to run on, but it's "there" and will keep an eye on it.

Sunday: junior park run visit to Malahide, both girls asked me if it was a longer park run than our normal one :rolleyes::D

No issues for me running the 2k, a nice little leg loosener. Ended up in Phoenix park in the afternoon for a nice walk too. Then spent an hour running after the youngest as I thought her how to cycle- wrecked I was :eek:

So that's it- on to taper now (I still don't think the taper is a taper until the following week).

According to the plan the mileage should decrease by 25%, 40% and 60% over the next 3 weeks respectively. So I'll use last week's 48 miles as the base line and adjust the plan accordingly but I'll also be flexible in how I'm feeling from a tiredness/recovery perspective.

And while I'm here I may as well nail my marathon finish time colours to the mast:

Plan A: to finish
    Plan B: 3:55- going out conservatively for the first 7 miles, will use Lazare's (3:58) pace strategy as the foundation for the paces. I really like even splits but it's not an option here with the way DCM first 7 miles start.

This is based (currently in a confident mood!) on 1:47 half in Ratoath and I've a very strong plan under my belt now.

Plan c: 3:59
    Plan D: 4:05

.......only positive comments welcome :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done nailing down your times. I think I’ll be dithering for another couple of weeks.

Enjoy the taper. You’ve had a great training block so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Another great week F and we'll done on nailing your approach to the 20 miles.
    Plan A should be demoted to Plan D though and rest upgraded! 3.55 is definitely there for ya in 3 weeks time (Lordy, it's only 3 weeks!).

What way are you mixing up next week's schedule? Next weekend is tough although its just a reduced repeat of last weekends run.

Advertisement