Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what time will you be back at?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

All the very best for tomorrow F! You're a different runner now compared to a year ago, even since Belfast. You've got this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to seeing you smash the sub4 tomorrow. Have a great run!

Thanks E- I’ll do my best

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    All the very best for tomorrow F! You're a different runner now compared to a year ago, even since Belfast. You've got this!!

Thanks A- looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measure.....at least there will be pints after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

No bother to you tomorrow, go get it! Hope you smash it and get the PB you deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Best of luck with the sub 4 tomorrow. Give it loads.

• Advertisement

Race report (“post-mortem”) to follow.....

Wasn’t to be yesterday 4:04-Half way in 1:58, the tank was empty at mile 22, I feel I’m improving all the time, I have had a great year of training and of pb’s with two Marathon pb’s and two half marathon pb’s....i feel I’m heading in the right direction.....just needs a bit more tweaking...somewhere!

Thanks for all the well wishes for this block of training.

2019-"Here we go again, going down the only road I've ever known" ....this DCM training block started with that quote on Strava, and sure I may as well finish it with that one!

If I'm honest I'm in a weird place with how I feel about Sunday, but I'm no quitter and I'll get back on the sub 4 bus again as that's the goal/marker.

I'm making progress, running in the right direction and with the beast that is 26.2 miles that's the positives I'm locking my sights onto in 2020.

I mentioned immediately after Belfast in May that I was worried about marathon "scar tissue", two poor runs with silly mistakes, but in hindsight that was nonsence.

But something failed on Sunday, either my mind or my body failed again, I think both left me at exactly the same time, but that's not being hard on myself, it's a fact, and I've to find the solution or key to unlock that last 4 mins +.

I'm enjoying the challenge, it makes me more determined than ever.

I have great support here, strava and especially my DCM 2018 graduates/friends, and it's a great asset to have. The performances from the other DCM 2018 grads was fantastic and was delighted for them.

I'm not dwelling on the negatives, the positives that happened in 2019 are what makes me even more determined.

The year 2019:
    Belfast: 4:18- I stopped and struggled home cause a pain my hip at mile 14, didn't feel I was strong enough, was aiming for sub 4 off of 1:51 half marathon, so it was an unrealistic goal, 4:10/4:15 should've been the target.

DCM: changed plans and tried P&D, it was a great decision, enjoyed nearly every week, felt I got stronger throughout which was showing in race results with two half marathon pb's at EOI and Rathoath (1:47). Having CBG and Treviso on the same plan was a great motivator. I felt ready mentally and physically all the way until taper.

Taper didn't go "well", my diet was crap, I had a lot of wine the weekend before the marathon, did it affect my performance, probably not, should I have done it, of course not....a lack of discipline at exactly the wrong time. Idiot.

I had dry needling on my hamstring for a niggle about 4 weeks out, I ignored it, it obviously still wasn't right, and as of tonight it's really bloody sore (rest and recovery will help), it was a weird one, I could run on it but was self concious something wasn't right, not a sharp pain but something.

I know people never feel fully rested during taper but I was really lacking freshness.

You can probably tell I'm delaying getting to the race itself!!!

Let's pull the plaster off....

Got to the expo Friday after work, traffic was crazy and I got there at 6:30pm, out and back on the road at 6:55. Late dinner.

Ran 3 miles easy on Saturday..the hamstring niggle is there but I am completely ignoring it, no stretching nothing, just flat out ignoring it!

Was let down for a lift by text at 7:15pm Saturday evening....not ideal, my wife fair play to her offered to throw the kids in car and we left the next morning at 7:30. Slept ok the night before, had wheetabix at home and brought a banana and bagel to have in town. Hydrated really well the previous 2 days.

Got to the Davenport around 8:00 and met a few of the others, didn't want to be around them after the lift let down, so said my good lucks and headed off myself to bag drop. Long auld walk to start line, a decent wait time before herded up to the start line, was reasonably close to the 4 HR pacers before the gun.

Plan: I had a 3:55 pace band in my pocket....honestly like, why didn't I tie it around my wrist I will never know (more on that later!)

Mile 1-3 pace was 9:16, 8:55 and 9:20

It's a strange feeling, was lacking an energy that I couldn't explain, wasn't a positive energy, nor was it nerves, it was like it was "just" a race, strange. No real issues here to highlight, tipping away and checking the pace band for each mile. The sun was amazing, the crowds were amazing, I love the ghetto blaster just past Hanlons corner, great buzz. Body felt grand, although I did feel it was harder than it should have been. The 4hr balloons had pulled away, probably 200 yards ahead, which was fine, no panic.

Miles 4-6 pace was 8:50, 8:55 and 8:49
    Pace band was telling me to up the pace, started to pull in the balloons, these were great miles, felt strong. A guy saw me checking my pace band and asked me what the target was, he said sounds good and wished each other best of luck. Heading to castle knock I saw a mate who was also supporting his wife, great to see him, it gave me a good lift. Castle knock was a great buzz, was looking out for Applegirl around Myo's, I kept moving. Body still good.

Miles 7-9 pace was 8:59, 8:46 and 8:49
    Tried to take a salt tablet during these miles, it ended up all over my face like some crazed coke fiend. Turning into Phoenix park again and I reached for the pace band, it wasn't there, it bloody fell out of my pocket.....FCUK!!!!!! No time for panic, you need to run 8:55 min miles, and that's the simplest thing to do. Heading out of Phoenix park I decided to get ahead of the 4hr crowd, body still felt fine, chapelizod crowds again were great. You would enter the marathon for the crowds alone, fantastic. Felt I was motoring along nicely.

Miles 10-12 pace 8:44, 9:06 and 9:19

Met my daughters with their auntie just before kilmainham, stopped for hugs and a banana and a drink exchange. Buzzing after I left them. The 4 HR balloons passed me at kilmainham while I was having hugs, that's ok, I'll catch them before Crumlin was the plan. Saw my mate again looking out for his wife, a great shout, and all I could say back was Oiiiiii! I don't know!
    Crumlin road was a bit a drag, but my god that run just over the canal and the crowds nearly on top of you is an unbelievable buzz, great stuff.

Miles 13-16 pace was 9:04, 9:08, 8:54 and 8:53

Half in 1:58

Met a mate just after walkinstown roundabout, great to see them, always gives you a good energy boost. He asked was I on plan, I said yeah but it's starting to bite.
    Just before I got to walkinstown roundabout, a poor runner was caught between toilets, my heart broke for them, I hope they were OK as its my worst Nitemare.

Kept moving on, the temp was getting up now

Miles 17-21 Every mile was bang on 9:00

I knew some 2018 grads were at the 7 arches so that kept me going strong until I could give them a shout out. I think I woke them up when I ran by them and shouted "ALRIGHT LADIES" ha ha!

Around mile 18 I saw a runner I know pulling into the side of the road, they started in wave 2, I asked was he ok, he said keep going I'm grand so I carried on

I think once I got to the 20 mile marker I was hitting the wall hard, looked over my shoulder and the 4hr balloons were still behind me, but not for long! Cramping in the quads and hamstring was happening, poured water on the legs- no idea why, poured water on my head- no idea why!!

Mile 22-home! 9:30, 9:45, 10:19, 10:57, 11:04 and 3:45

Got to Roebuck hill and I was now shuffling, the paces tell the story, no need to go through how I was feeling, the balloons passed me at the top of fosters avenue, a half arsed attempt to catch the downhill on fosters avenue didn't last long. The wall was hit so fast and hard, I'm still not sure.

Met my wife about 200 yards from the finish line, gave her a hug like I wanted to be swallowed up, she told me to get going and finish...I had nothing left, the tank was empty, the feet and legs were so heavy I nearly tripped over the blue mats...that would've been some finisher pix...

I did it, I ran another marathon....3 marathons in 12 months, a 14 minute pb (got the minutes wrong on my strava headline, who cares) on my marathon in May. The toughness of finishing a marathon....great stuff.

Chip time 4:04:19

A fantastic year of running for myself.

Passed 1400 miles late on during the marathon.

So, did I overshoot with my target?
    Did I overtrain on back of Belfast?
    Did I get my pacing wrong?
    Was my diet and lack of discipline the issue?
    Was my race day nutrition (tailwind) the issue?
    Or should I just put it down to a marathon where sometimes it goes well and sometimes it doesn't.....them the cards I was dealt with for that race!

Any other thoughts?

What's next?

There will be no spring marathon....no chance!!!

I am going to try and take November off from running to recover and rest....ill probably lose my mind by mid November!

Will try the Faster Road Racing plan next.

I've signed up to trim 10 mile, will race bohermeen, Amsterdam marathon is a possibility!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Sorry to see that you didn't get the sub 4 F but still a big PB to be proud of. If you continue to train like the last few months, there's no doubt that it should be there the next marathon you do.

The one thing I would recommend doing if you're following another P&D plan (Faster road racing too) is to do the long runs as progression runs, running at a faster pace at the end of those helped improve my endurance a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I wouldn't get hung up over the 4 hour time F. A 14 min PB in the space of 6 months is brilliant achievement on top of all the other PBs you have achieved this year. Tremendous work.

That 18 week training block isn't going to disappear overnight either and will really stand to you going into 2020 and starting into your next training plan. I'd also recommend cashing in on some of that training when you feel refreshed again at the local parkrun and breaking your 5k PB to see out the year.

I have no doubt that you will smash sub 4 wherever and whenever you want in 2020.

Thanks lads- the competitive spirit has me thinking I didn’t succeed but I know how good a year I had.

Treviso- I know you are right on the progression runs, I probably copped it too late or was trying to protect myself from injury by keeping the long runs at easy pace for its entirety, but yeah I’ll adapt that session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done F. A brilliant Pb but I think I get how you feel when you are so close to the sub 4. I’ve been doing a bit of wondering about what I could have done differently but that’s just the marathon messing with our heads now that we’ve no training plan to be thinking about or running to get out and do. The gains you’ve had this year have been amazing and are only going to get better with the next block of training.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done F. A brilliant Pb but I think I get how you feel when you are so close to the sub 4. I’ve been doing a bit of wondering about what I could have done differently but that’s just the marathon messing with our heads now that we’ve no training plan to be thinking about or running to get out and do. The gains you’ve had this year have been amazing and are only going to get better with the next block of training.

Thanks K- post Marathon maranoia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done -a great pb in such a short period of time. It’s natural to ask questions of ourselves after. As you seemed to have hit the fabled wall maybe you need to look at your fuelling - perhaps this was the issue?

I’ll also be at Trim and Bohermeen. Love both of those races . Although be great if there was a local half before Xmas!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Well done Dealerz. A similar report to what I could have wrote myself about Sunday and my sub 4 attempt.Cramp is a bastard when it hits. It hit me badly around Mile 21 and I never recovered.
    I've learned a huge amount from the last training block though and the race itself and I'm sure you did too.
    We will get there(sub 4) I'm sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Ah, F. I was sorry to see how close you came to the sub4. You worked so hard and I get that you must be disappointed you must have been. You've made some great progress this year and your result on Sunday is really impressive. That's a great PB.

I know you're tinkering around with some 2020 ideas now and I can't wait to see how you get on over some of the shorter distances.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done -a great pb in such a short period of time. It’s natural to ask questions of ourselves after. As you seemed to have hit the fabled wall maybe you need to look at your fuelling - perhaps this was the issue?

I’ll also be at Trim and Bohermeen. Love both of those races . Although be great if there was a local half before Xmas!!!!

Thanks R - might see you in the new year so.

ewc78 wrote: »
    Well done Dealerz. A similar report to what I could have wrote myself about Sunday and my sub 4 attempt.Cramp is a bastard when it hits. It hit me badly around Mile 21 and I never recovered.
    I've learned a huge amount from the last training block though and the race itself and I'm sure you did too.
    We will get there(sub 4) I'm sure of that.

Cheers

Your thread has some great info and hopefully you keep it going

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Congrats on the PB. A great, strong race and a great report. Don't worry too much about fading at the end, Clonskeagh Rd can sap your energy very quickly.
    I have no doubt, if you keep up your mileage, that you'll break 4 hours next time with room to spare. Another 9+ months of consistent mileage really will have such a positive effect on your endurance.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Ah, F. I was sorry to see how close you came to the sub4. You worked so hard and I get that you must be disappointed you must have been. You've made some great progress this year and your result on Sunday is really impressive. That's a great PB.

I know you're tinkering around with some 2020 ideas now and I can't wait to see how you get on over some of the shorter distances.

Thanks E- yep, it’s best to keep looking/running forward

....looking forward to getting my new book!

Congrats on the PB. A great, strong race and a great report. Don't worry too much about fading at the end, Clonskeagh Rd can sap your energy very quickly.
    I have no doubt, if you keep up your mileage, that you'll break 4 hours next time with room to spare. Another 9+ months of consistent mileage really will have such a positive effect on your endurance.

Thanks A- congrats again on your run and thanks again for advice the last few weeks.

The answer to my sub 4 question ain’t too far away, I’m on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

Well done F, your going in the right direction which is the main thing. Is tailwind the only fueling you were taking ?

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Well done F, your going in the right direction which is the main thing. Is tailwind the only fueling you were taking ?

Cheers buddy, yeah it was (had half a banana in kilmainham) , going to drop it for 2020 and try a gel, only ever tried the hi5 gels and didn’t like them, so will have a look at things after xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

It could be more down to your fueling than hitting the wall then. I took those Maurten gels and found them great, might be worth taking a punt on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Rossi7 wrote: »
    It could be more down to your fueling than hitting the wall then. I took those Maurten gels and found them great, might be worth taking a punt on

I second this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done again F. It's frustrating I'm sure to have missed out on the sub 4, but I've no doubt next time you line up for a marathon that sub 4 won't even be a consideration - your sights will be much higher.

Just keep going as you have been, following sensible plans and running decent mileage. You'll continue to improve. I think it's a wise move to take a break from the marathon for a while - the shorter stuff will challenge you and improve your running.

I'll follow the lads and recommend the Maurten gels too - I found them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats on the PB F! You should absolutely be proud of knocking 14 mins off the (ultra) Belfast time! Your training seemed spot on to me, so I'd say the guys are right when they suggest fueling was the issue. Your head seemed to be in the game as well like.
    And yes, you did give us a bit of a lift when you shouted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

F, good read. Well done again - big chunk taken off your PB.

I see the result just as the carrot to reel you back in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Tough going at the end F, but I'd agree with J that the sub-4 will come before long, you've been making such great progress with each race and no reason why that shouldn't continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Fair play on an honest report F. You should be very proud of the work you've put in. It's very frustrating when it doesn't go to plan but you shouldn't be too down on yourself.
    You've a great base for next year, as you say target the shorter stuff, get the racing confidence back and the next time you toe the line for the marathon there will be no stopping you.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Well done again F. It's frustrating I'm sure to have missed out on the sub 4, but I've no doubt next time you line up for a marathon that sub 4 won't even be a consideration - your sights will be much higher.

Just keep going as you have been, following sensible plans and running decent mileage. You'll continue to improve. I think it's a wise move to take a break from the marathon for a while - the shorter stuff will challenge you and improve your running.

I'll follow the lads and recommend the Maurten gels too - I found them great.

Thanks A, yeah looking forward to 2020 already

Advertisement