Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what time will you be back at?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB F! You should absolutely be proud of knocking 14 mins off the (ultra) Belfast time! Your training seemed spot on to me, so I'd say the guys are right when they suggest fueling was the issue. Your head seemed to be in the game as well like.
    And yes, you did give us a bit of a lift when you shouted :pac:

Thanks V

juke wrote: »
    F, good read. Well done again - big chunk taken off your PB.

I see the result just as the carrot to reel you back in :)

Thanks J, you’re absolutely right, more determined than ever.

coogy wrote: »
    Tough going at the end F, but I'd agree with J that the sub-4 will come before long, you've been making such great progress with each race and no reason why that shouldn't continue.

Thanks K, any disappointment from Sunday has been replaced now with making 2020 plans

tbukela wrote: »
    Fair play on an honest report F. You should be very proud of the work you've put in. It's very frustrating when it doesn't go to plan but you shouldn't be too down on yourself.
    You've a great base for next year, as you say target the shorter stuff, get the racing confidence back and the next time you toe the line for the marathon there will be no stopping you.

Thanks T, absolutely and already signed up to Trim 10m in February

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the PB F, enjoyed that report.
    As others here and elsewhere have posted, I wouldn't get overly hung up about the sub 4. It'll come. In the meantime, best of luck with training for Trim 10 - a nice fast course, so I'm told.

• Advertisement

Congrats on the PB F, enjoyed that report.
    As others here and elsewhere have posted, I wouldn't get overly hung up about the sub 4. It'll come. In the meantime, best of luck with training for Trim 10 - a nice fast course, so I'm told.

Thanks J, there’s an 80min pacer I’ve got my eye on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Enjoyed reading your report F, well done on a huge PB. You've run 3 marathons in 12 months and knocked 14 mins off your time since May - they're massive achievements.
    Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

Tried to take a salt tablet during these miles, it ended up all over my face like some crazed coke fiend.

Laughed out loud to myself at this, brilliant image :D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Brilliant race report F. Sorry you didn't get your sub 4 but I've no doubt that when you do get it, you will get it and then some.
    Your training for Belfast and Dublin was so inspiring. Look what you achieved in a year. Think of the potential that's ahead of you for next year. I know you didn't get the time you wanted but honestly a 14 minute PB ain't so shabby! Well done.
    You have amazing potential F.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on another years tremendous running F. I don't know where you get all the energy and motivation for these marathons!
    Thanks for all the advice and support on Strava while we were on the P&D plan, it really was greatly appreciated. Looking forward to being training plan pals again!!
    All the best for 2020 and looking forward to you smashing 4 hours in Manchester.

Cheers J, much appreciated, 2019 was a great year for training and racing, really enjoyed it!

• Advertisement

Haven't been on here much the last few weeks....life and stuff getting in the way of my logging!

Update since DCM:

Spent the few week after DCM not doing much and lacking any motivation to run much at all a combination of new job, post marathon tiredness, a growing internal row about how DCM actually went etc etc!

So despite my claims of no more marathons......I signed up to Manchester 2020!

The how and why I signed up to Manchester...It all kinda happened very fast. I love marathon training, I like the big 18 week blocks of training being ticked off and overcome, a physical and mental challenge that I enjoy.....race day itself.....not so much so far! I figure in my head....why stop the marathon training "bus"...I have escaped (so far!) any major injury issues (Blessed if I am honest!), as well as that a running pal was bending my ear!!

Since signing up, I have really struggled with time and motivation...new job and new commute have really taken their toll as well as post DCM tiredness.

Having said all that, I have a very strong stubborn streak in achieving goals...I am not one to train/study and get the result...it usually takes a couple of goes...I won't give up on my goal of getting a marathon sub 4.

The DCM 2018 graduates are a great support network and it's worth a "thank you" to them to help me find my motivation again....sometimes it is just talking about running rather than running helps ignite the spark again.

So here I am now in week 5 of the same plan as DCM (P&D up to 55 miles- I liked the plan so why change it!)

Training and racing summary since DCM:

November had a combination of River valley park run ("the hill" stopped me getting a sub 23 5k but happy with the effort, also a lot more junior park runs which is a great motivator for the kids, and a couple of runmutes which are great to sort the head out after work.

Had my first S&C class with Dublin Bay Running Club....never realised that all my running was not making me any more conditioned....jaysus it hurt! Will be joining DBRC in the new year...hoping joining a club will be a positive experience

December got a bit more focused:

Week 1: Holywell junior park run 2nd birthday was a great morning with great crowds, started week 1 of P&D and then got my first sub 22 5k at Malahide Park run...loved it. The long runs this time around will be a bit more "aggressive" as per the book finishing the long runs with some MP miles (thanks to Treviso for reminding me read the book again!)

Week 2: Some more runmutes and getting back into increasing the miles this week

Week 3: More runmutes and recovery miles....motivation was really bad this week...really struggled to keep the positivity around signing up for Manchester this week!

Week 4: Renewed the focus, signed up to EOI Half marathon (two laps of Howth) on December 27th...was dreading the hills and they didnt disappoint...was hoping for a sub 1:50 as an indicator of where my fitness was.

I finished with 1:47:59 (PB is 1:47:10 on a very flat Ratoath) so I was thrilled to see how strong I was for that HM. The hill of Howth is a struggle to drive up let alone run up....twice!

Got over cocky and went out for 12 miles (4 at MP) the next day and was really fatigued the next few days ( a "careful now!" from Singer was heard loud and clear)

Week 5: First run this morning, was still feeling tired, plan was for 9 miles with 5 at MP but kept it to 8 miles with 4 at MP..not feeling too bad this evening

So whats next:

Looking forward to seeing how DBRC goes...slight concern about wanting to run with the club and also completing the prescribed P&D planned runs, but the S&C sessions will be of great benefit

Trim 10 mile on Feb 2nd followed by a late night Super Bowl Sunday session....hoping to fight for a sub 80 min 10 mile. My course PB there is 88 mins.

Lusk EOI half is Feb 22nd

Happy New Year

(I will try to catch up on everyone else's logs over the next few days!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great to see this log back in action.

That was a super performance in Howth, and bodes very well for Manchester. Best of luck with the training, and all the other goals for 2020.

The Dungarvan 10 miler is the same day as Trim... I have an annual tradition going at this stage with the race being followed by a Superbowl session. Go Pats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good man, F. Looks like you're really benefitting from your Dublin block of training - that was some performance you put in at Howth. Well done.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Great to see this log back in action.

That was a super performance in Howth, and bodes very well for Manchester. Best of luck with the training, and all the other goals for 2020.

The Dungarvan 10 miler is the same day as Trim... I have an annual tradition going at this stage with the race being followed by a Superbowl session. Go Pats :)

Thanks A, yeah it's becoming a tradition here too!

....a pity about the "pats" reference, ah well! I unfortunately became interested in American football when the Redskins last won the super bowl...d'oh!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Good man, F. Looks like you're really benefitting from your Dublin block of training - that was some performance you put in at Howth. Well done.

Thanks E, appreciate that!

Week 7 of 18 update:

New Year's Eve: 8 mile with 4 at HM pace of 8 min miles. Nice early start for this one. Tried to keep the slow miles slow, heart rate ( on the watch!) was quite high which I'm blaming on a the Half race impact and general Christmas food and wine over indulgences.

Half marathon paces were: 8:09, 8:11, 7:56, 7:55

New Year's Day: 5m recovery run at 10:24- was out late running this cause I was out late the night before.

Thursday: first day back in work and decided to kick start being back in work with a runmute. Just short of 11 miles at GA pace of 10:06. Really enjoyed this and looking over the run I really nailed the paces for each mile. HR was nice and easy too.

Saturday: plan had 16 miles with 10 at HM pace, was absolutely dreading this as I knew it would be tough. This is probably the first main long run of the plan so it needed to be done. A mate text wanting to see if I was around for a run as her usual crew weren't available. Maybe cause I was all worked up over the run but I was quite deliberate in how I wanted the pace to be.....and she still agreed to go with me for 12 miles of the run. Hadn't done a training run with someone in fairly long time so it was a great distraction.

I'd picked a nice route from Swords looping out to ballyboughal and back again with a few miles around Swords added on. The country roads were nice and quiet.

First 4 miles were ranged between 10:31 to 9:43, which wasn't too bad but probably a little too fast.

The MP miles were tough but great to get done- majority were 8:55, some were faster but not too crazy. Finished with 2 miles at 9:45, slowing down to beyond 10 miles was a struggle.

A lovely mornings run but I was fairly wrecked after it and legs were tired.

Sunday: plan was a 5 mile recovery but decided just do run the junior park run and leave it at that for the week

Total: 41 miles

I feel it's really helping having the trim 10 miler at the end of the month, it's giving me a short term focus in a marathon block of training.

Week 8! I was bloody tired this week!!!

A drop back week on the plan was well planned.

Non running chat first: work is bloody busy, "messy" busy, the new job is impacting me in ways that couldn't have been planned at the outset of the marathon plan (googling imposter syndrome probably sums up where I'm at work wise at the minute- stupid stuff and I need to snap out of it!). I think that's another reason for the tiredness and drop in motivation but I'm too stubborn to let it get the better of me..thank god!

Now back to the plan:
    Monday was a rest day which was great and well needed.

Tuesday: plan was for 8 mile with 10*100meter strides. An early start for this one, and I really enjoyed it, I don't know why I love the early morning runs, they just suit me. Maybe the realisation that it was only 10 weeks to taper put a pep in my step. Broke the run up by doing 2 mile warm up, 5 strides and then 2 mile easy and then the last 5 strides, kept the strides around 8min mile or faster.

Wednesday: was at a funeral that morning and then was working from home in the afternoon, so managed to get this run done early evening. A 4 mile recovery on the plan, kept it to 10:20 min miles, could get these slower in future.

Thursday: plan was 8 miles but decided to run home from work which was 10.5 miles, a cold evening, but was over dressed with hat and gloves. Stupid Garmin watch was acting up in the HRM, never usually check it mid run, but as I did, it never left 190, this then got me all paranoid about how I was feeling...mad stuff...I know the HRM on the watches are crap!

It still felt like a really tough run, kept the paces above 10 min miles, but felt really over tired during and after it.

Friday was a rest day

Saturday: plan was 12 miles, didn't head out till the afternoon, but needed to be home for 5:30 for the Liverpool match...just made it. A lovely calm evening for a run, looks like I got the best of the weather going on the strava reports coming in that morning.

I kept the paces over 10 min miles and then the last 3 were at marathon pace, slightly faster on the first one but brought them back to 8:55-ish for the last 2. No ill effects from Thursday's run, felt fresher post run. Stayed up late watching the 49ers and Vikings game.

Sunday was supposed to be 4 mile recovery but I took the day off...no issues just thought I'd benefit from more rest, and herself was working. Was only a cheerleader at the Holywell junior park run.

The next 3 weeks are going to be savage running wise, really relishing the challenge, I'll be in a great spot if all the plans go to plan!

8 week S&C class starts Tuesday.

Just over 34 miles for the week....onwards and upwards!

Well done F, looking forward to reading your feedback on the S&C classes.

PS. Super Bowl Sunday not going to be the same with Tom and The Pats! Some game in Kansas at the mo.

Well done F, looking forward to reading your feedback on the S&C classes.

PS. Super Bowl Sunday not going to be the same with Tom and The Pats! Some game in Kansas at the mo.

The super bowl will be fantastic because Tom and the cheats won’t be there! Yeah Mahomes is savage.

Week 9

That was a tough week of training!

Tuesday: pre work 10 miles with 5 @ HM pace. I love these tough sessions with the half marathon pace miles. Was aiming for a current planned half marathon pace of 8:00 min miles. Did a 2 mile warm up first.

For the half marathon session:
    Mile 1 was 8:20
    Mile 2 was 8:12
    Mile 3 was 8:03
    Mile 4 was 7:56
    Mile 5 was 7:58

And 3 miles cool down.

Strength and conditioning class Tuesday evening....oh man it was tough on the quads...which is probably a good thing. The session has no weights, just lots and lots of planks, sit ups, wall climbs, burpees, planks, planks and planks!!!

God it took me a few days to walk properly and sit down without feeling like an old man!!! A good session but I think I might reduce the normal Tuesday morning run as it took me a long time to recover.

Got my new club singlet....a first runout with it will be Trim....it's a bit tight and there is not much skin material to cover the bits!

Wednesday was a 4 mile recovery run at 10:40

Thursday: a run mute of just short of 11 miles, a cold evening and still feeling the effects of Tuesday. Pace was 10:08. Was wrecked tired if I'm honest.

Saturday was a freezing morning of 7 miles with strides...legs starting to feel a bit better after it.

Sunday: 18 miles, didn't get a chance to plan the route better so just stuck with what I know and headed to the city and back. It was a freezing cold morning again bit it was gorgeous out there. Brought a Maurten gel to take at mile 9. They don't seem to bad, felt like I was chewing jelly.

Kept the first 10 miles around 10:20, increased the pace for next 7 and then the last mile at MP. Felt tired for around 2 hours after it but felt recovery went well.

Just short of 50 miles for the week....a good strong week.

11 weeks to go...weeks are getting tougher and going thick and fast now.

I might take some miles off this week's plan and will taper slightly the following week for Trim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Dealerz2.0 wrote:
    Got my new club singlet....a first runout with it will be Trim....it's a bit tight and there is not much skin material to cover the bits!

Jesus F, you do know you've still to wear shorts with it?!?!

Great week AGAIN :) shook my head at your 18 miler today in jealousy that it seems to be coming easy to you!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Jesus F, you do know you've still to wear shorts with it?!?!

Great week AGAIN :) shook my head at your 18 miler today in jealousy that it seems to be coming easy to you!

Ha ha- no one told me V- thanks for letting me know! Do I wear fake tan as the farmers tan is epic?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Week 9
    I might take some miles off this week's plan and will taper slightly the following week for Trim.

Listen to your body and see how your feeling, no point in pushed too hard with 11 weeks still to go. You've banked some quality runs already.

Listen to your body and see how your feeling, no point in pushed too hard with 11 weeks still to go. You've banked some quality runs already.

Thanks T

Week 9 (not 10!)

A great week, took 14 miles off this week's planned mileage and feel great for doing it.

Monday and Tuesday were taken as rest days mileage wise. Had a S&C Session Tuesday night. Getting into the swing of these sessions, using different muscles than running and feel the better for it. I still can't last too long in the wall sits, the quads are like jelly really quick.

Wednesday: plan was a general aerobic 12 miles- I'm trying to keep GA at 10 min miles. Ran home from work for just under 11 miles. Felt sluggish but generally ok.

Thursday: plan was for 10 miles with 6 miles at HM pace. Was weighing up whether to go home after work and do this or do another runmute. Decided with the latter. This is a tough run and was chickening out several times by maybe cutting the 6 mile bit down to just 4 mile.

First 2 miles of the 6 at HM were tough, felt very leggy, thought about getting the bus home :p for reasons I can't explain the legs loosened up really quick then and felt strong for the next 4 miles.

Splits: 8:18, 8:14, 8:00, 8:02, 7:52, 7:48

Finished off the 11 miles with some easy ones to get home.

Friday rest day and plan was 20 miles on Sunday

Saturday: was at the girls to do something on Saturday so in a unplanned decision we headed off to climb Sugarloaf mountain (I hadn't climbed it since I was in the Scouts a long long time ago!).

The place was really busy with some "insta" fashion group called "gympluscoffee" who were all setting their 2020 goals by climbing the Sugarloaf and putting their goals on a piece of paper and into a box then being voxpopped by "insta" gangs with video cameras......at this point I am as lost as you are on all that sh*te!

Any ways, we had a great day, we got to the top, had a couple of wagon wheel chocolate bars at the top, enjoyed the views and headed back down...a lovely morning.

A quick stop in Avoca for cake, I had the biggest apple pie and cream.....ever!!!!!

Chatting on way home I got the all clear to run my 20 miles that afternoon....obviously my prep wasn't ideal but sure I'll be grand!

Running 20 miles can be more psychological than physical sometimes, once your hydrated and fed, it's just a matter of picking the route and getting it done. I always like the out and back route plan so I know I'm 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 the way through.

Headed out to Portmarnock and back, haven't ran this route since last year so it was a nice change of scenery.

Took a Maurten gel before heading out, decision made for race day nutrition....but how many will I take?

Kept the pace around 10:20 for the first 15 miles, then finished with 5 miles at 9:30min miles. All done, the normal tiredness in the legs but feel much better today. Only 2 more 20 milers to go!

Rest day on Sunday

So it's all green lights now for Trim...going to give it a good lash. Looking for as close to 80 minutes as I can get, last year I ran 88 minutes. Will pull back the miles next week to allow for Sunday's race...just one runmute on Wednesday and no S&C session next week as the club AGM is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

I loved your description of the trip up the sugarloaf, sounds like something my gang would love. We tend to go for tangfastics though.

Well done on the 20 miler, sounds you have the mental side really keyed in. My OCD side was aghast at the 19.99 on Strava though!

Best of luck with Trim, have a right rattle off it.

I loved your description of the trip up the sugarloaf, sounds like something my gang would love. We tend to go for tangfastics though.

Well done on the 20 miler, sounds you have the mental side really keyed in. My OCD side was aghast at the 19.99 on Strava though!

Best of luck with Trim, have a right rattle off it.

Thanks T- garmin showed 20 and then strava 19:99 ffs!

All the best in Trim tomorrow F.

Sub 80 mins here you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Best of luck tomorrow F. Your training has been exceptional since DCM. I'm sure the Trim course isn't as difficult as a hike up Sugarloaf followed by a 20m LSR

• Advertisement

Thanks lads!

Advertisement