Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Doesn’t say where. Leo can’t go to London. He better not.

GAWD...didn't even think of that. Assumed he would go to London after BJ came to Dublin last time but yeah...not a good historical look to go to London now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1180569395048992768

There won't be any negotiation at the EU council.

They want to be in a position to rubber stamp a deal.

A gap as wide as the Grand Canyon, unless the UK gives ground on customs - of course, always better to have meetings than not, but unlikely to achieve anything at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

GM228 wrote: »
    Look at the point I was referring to in relation to the EU making demands that the UK hold a referendum, the EU absolutely can not interfere with purely domestic matters, nor can it for example simply decide to impose an extension as it sees fit, there must be unilateral agreement.

The EU can't encroach on a member states sovereignty and force it to do something which is not in contradiction of community law, such an action is beyond the competence of community law.

The European Council can impose whatever conditions it wants to grant an extension.

It could decide that an extension would only be granted on condition that Johnson change his name by deed poll to Doris if it wanted to and there's nothing in EU law to prevent it doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

moon2 wrote: »
    Suppose Boris asks for an extension as per the Benn law, don't the UK have full authority to unilaterally exit the EU at any point during that extension period, with or without a deal? Couldn't they also exit the current extension today?

No, because the UK would have agreed under EU law to remain a full member of the EU at least until the extension expires, and as such it would be subject to EU law requiring it to obey EU law until the expiry date.

UK law also comes into play, in that UK law requires the date of departure from the EU to be specified in law before the application of EU law within the UK can be terminated.

If the extension date is set to 31st January 2020, both EU law and UK law would require the UK to implement EU law within the UK as required by the EU treaties and EU law and as required by UK law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

We should just let them leave without a deal. They'll be back within a week grovelling and we'll insist on the withdrawal agreement

Scoondal wrote: »
    UK government will apply for a Brexit extension as per UK law but Hungary will deny such an extension.

Very doubtful. Hungary has to live with another very pissed off 26 EU member states if it does that, member states that are already potentially set to impose sanctions on Hungary over its violations of the rule of law provisions of the EU treaties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Sometimes cryptic, but an interesting tweeter, this is an interesting piece of information on the CTA and the memorandum of understanding that the UK recently signed in relation thereto

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Very doubtful. Hungary has to live with another very pissed off 26 EU member states if it does that, member states that are already potentially set to impose sanctions on Hungary over its violations of the rule of law provisions of the EU treaties.
    And what would they have to gain? The square root of feck all. They don't even get to benefit from the UK being at the table with them to push whatever case they may have.

fash wrote: »

Sometimes cryptic, but an interesting tweeter, this is an interesting piece of information on the CTA and the memorandum of understanding that the UK recently signed in relation thereto

I said this months a go that this would be Britain's last card. People did not believe me then but I still expect a threat to come in this direction.

I don't think the CTA matters all that much nowadays anyway. May as well join schengen.

• Advertisement

I said this months a go that this would be Britain's last card. People did not believe me then but I still expect a threat to come in this direction.

I don't think the CTA matters all that much nowadays anyway. May as well join schengen.
    The last vestige of freedom of movement gone from UK citizens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

We should just let them leave without a deal. They'll be back within a week grovelling and we'll insist on the withdrawal agreement

I have a suspicion that’s Leo&EUs plan. Let them leave no deal. They’ll be back before you Know it. And in far worse a position

Our interim planning seems to suggest it too, with the new customs patrol guards and port planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The UK behind the curve again. The EU have already looked into what damage they could do from the inside if they were given an extension and the conclusion was nothing once they're gone before the budget vote.

Whatever about the practicalities, the very idea that this may even be considered a plan by a country such as the UK about to enter international negotiations for trade agreements.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1180587230382833664?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

prawnsambo wrote: »
    And what would they have to gain? The square root of feck all. They don't even get to benefit from the UK being at the table with them to push whatever case they may have.

A Hungarian minister was on newsnight last week. The presenter was pushing him to say something pro UK but he held the line that the EU negotiated on behalf of the 27 and he wouldn't be commenting outside of what the official line was. They know which side their bread is buttered even if the country itself is deeply eurosceptic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

I certainly can see them doing it- they wouldn't be a British government if they weren't vicious to the end.

Anyone have snippets from Brexit hard man Steve Barclay's article here?:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/05/government-wont-back-brexit/

This appears to contradict the Telegraph headline btw. Barclay saying they will leave with no deal. Leading article says they will stay but disrupt.

Chaos with Ed Miliband

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

The UK Sunday Telegraph is usually on Pressreader, access is free with many Irish Library cards (e.g. DLR) - this week's edition is not showing yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Meandering off from that tweet took me to twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1128359321501425664 this (NSFW) Aussie video explanation of how preferential voting works. Maybe something to use from now on whenever the adjective "undemocratic" is used in the context of Brexit.
    I like this one http://www.chickennation.com/2013/08/18/you-cant-waste-your-vote/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisagarcia/2019/09/23/virgin-atlantic-steps-in-to-offer-jobs-to-displaced-thomas-cook-employees/

Brexit very much was a factor in its collapse. The straw that broke camel's back.

But hey maybe brexiters can blame diesel somehow.

It was a factor yes, but a small factor relatively speaking. It collapsed due to the disastrous merger with mytravel which led to it carrying a £1.7bn debt pile. The interest payments alone were a quarter of the companies revenue.

There are a lot of companies genuinely suffering because of Brexit but Thomas Cook failed due to bad management. Brexit may have been the straw but the real issue was the hundred weight of debt it couldn't service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Hurrache wrote: »
    The UK behind the curve again. The EU have already looked into what damage they could do from the inside if they were given an extension and the conclusion was nothing once they're gone before the budget vote.

Whatever about the practicalities, the very idea that this may even be considered a plan by a country such as the UK about to enter international negotiations for trade agreements.

Obviously don't realise either that the Romanian and Hungarian commissioners were rejected, so the same would happen to Farage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Folks, things are moving quickly but a quick reminder on the rules:

Saying what someone has said, giving a link and commenting on it is good debate.

Link dumping without comment on the issue is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The European Council can impose whatever conditions it wants to grant an extension.

It could decide that an extension would only be granted on condition that Johnson change his name by deed poll to Doris if it wanted to and there's nothing in EU law to prevent it doing so.

Look up the Principle of Non-Intervention.

You can not make demands which go against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state to be used as negotiating tactics, making a demand such as a requirement to have a GE which is a purely domestic matter goes against the principles of the UN Charter (which is enshrined in the TEU) or the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties.

From the UN General Assembly's Friendly Relations Declaration:-
    No State or group of States has the right to intervene, directly or indirectly, for any reason whatever, in the internal or external affairs of any other State. Consequently, armed intervention and all other forms of interference or attempted threats against the personality of the State or against its political, economic and cultural elements, are in violation of international law.

It is also against Customary International Law which the European Union is bound by as confirmed by the ECJ in the Western Sahara Campaign UK vs Commissioners for Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs and Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Case C‑266/16 case, note what the International Court of Justice stated in the Nicaragua vs The USA [1968] ICJ 1 case:-
    The principle of non-intervention involves the right of every sovereign State to conduct its affairs without outside interference . . . . As to the content of the principle in customary law, the Court defines the constitutive elements which appear relevant in this case: a prohibited intervention must be one bearing on matters in which each State is permitted, by the principle of State sovereignty, to decide freely (for example the choice of a political, economic, social and cultural system, and formulation of foreign policy). Intervention is wrongful when it uses, in regard to such choices, methods of coercion, particularly force, either in the direct form of military action or in the indirect form of support for subversive activities in another State

Interfering with purely domestic sovereign matters is a no no for the EU, this is well established and most recently touched upon in the Article 50 Wightman and Others v Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union Case C-621/18 case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Hurrache wrote: »

Do you rember when May got elected as PM, she said 'I will crush the EU' Feels like a long time ago now but they came out with fighting words.

- know, I don't think we are the brightest in the world, nor the smartest, but holy footing god, watching an (Well it was) Empire collapse...like this...I know it died a long time ago but I think it is only about to die in front of their eyes only now...

GM228 wrote: »
    You can not make demands which go against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state to be used as negotiating tactics, making such a demand such as a requirement to have a GE which is a purely domestic matter that goes against the principles of the UN Charter (which is enshrined in the TEU) or the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties. It is also against Customary International Law which the European Union is bound by as confirmed by the ECJ in the Western Sahara Campaign UK vs Commissioners for Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs and Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Case C‑266/16 case.

Interfering with purely domestic sovereign matters is a no no for the EU, this is well established and most recently in the Article 50 ECJ case.
    They can suggest the kinds of reasons that would be looked on as making an extension necessary and desirable. In fact I think it's even been suggested that avoiding a no deal brexit would be considered a good reason to extend.

The Daily Express has helpfully put up an image of who the biggest loser will be in the EU for it's readers in it's latest pro Brexit article

2094755.webp?r=1570307084999

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Reading the Barnier interview. That’s hard language. In no uncertain terms letting Johnson et al know the time for us letting you fool around is over.

Is this him signaling there will be no further extensions granted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Reading the Barnier interview. That’s hard language. In no uncertain terms letting Johnson et al know the time for us letting you fool around is over.

I truly hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

The Daily Express has helpfully put up an image of who the biggest loser will be in the EU for it's readers in it's latest pro Brexit article

2094755.webp?r=1570307084999

:D

Why are mainland France and Corsica shown in two distinct colours and why is Malta not colourized?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

Isn't that exactly what Johnson wants. If there's no extension it's a default no deal so the hard line Tories get what they want and the EU are the bad boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With suggestions like, making Farage their EU Commissioner, they are really into Trump territory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement