Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

maebee wrote: »
    Thanks for this Hurrache. That's got to be the best Brexit article written in any UK paper since this sorry mess began.

Indeed, the Tánaiste has retweeted it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

J Mysterio wrote: »
    GM228 wrote: »
    Can the EU grant them an extension of 6 months on condition they have a referendum?

No, they can't interfere with domestic matters.

They very much can. They can say no to an extension if they decide that's the best course of action. They have said in the past, and they are saying now also, that there should be a 'good reason' for an extension.

Look at the point I was referring to in relation to the EU making demands that the UK hold a referendum, the EU absolutely can not interfere with purely domestic matters, nor can it for example simply decide to impose an extension as it sees fit, there must be unilateral agreement.

The EU can't encroach on a member states sovereignty and force it to do something which is not in contradiction of community law, such an action is beyond the competence of community law.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

maebee wrote: »
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/brexit/2018/10/02/news/arlene-foster-says-good-friday-agreement-not-sacrosanct-as-she-backs-boris-johnson-s-brexit-plan-1447683/

Arlene needs her head examined if she thinks the GFA can be revisited and amended in any way. It's unforgivable that she should say it's 'not sacrosanct". The world, the USA in particular, is watching you Arlene.

You say it can't but she has the full backing of HMG behind her. They are more than happy to tear up, or more correctly break down, the GFA in order to get the bigger prize of Brexit.

The UK, of which NI is inconsequential, wants out and Johnson and his ilk have persuaded many that any price is worth paying to achieve that.

I don't have the link but Adam Boultan on Sky News had an interview where the person basically said that pain will always be necessary. We have also had the change in line the last few weeks from HMG that change in NI was always a necessary part of Brexit and Ireland just has to get used to it.

reslfj wrote: »
    The EU Commission is meant to work with a number of commissioners equal to 2/3 (=18/19) of the number states.

The EU Council has until now unanimously decided that all members can have one commissioner all the time. It's more a right and benefit for members than a necessity for the Commission to be legal and operational.

Lars :)

All Article 17.5 of the TEU states is the European Commission must work with two thirds unless a unanimous decision of the European Council amends that number - which it has done so increasing to one per member state, therefore under the requirements of the EU treaties the Commission must work with a commissioner for each member state (with some exceptions for resignation, compulsory retirement or death).

This by the way has already been confirmed by the European Court of Justice in a number of cases which arose out of the Martin Bangemann issue such as the Germany vs Commission Case C3334-99 and the Kvaerner Warnow Werft GmbH vs Commission Joined Cases T-227/99 and T-134/00 cases.

The incoming President Ursula von der Leyen also confirmed on 10th September that the UK must nominate a Commissioner in accordance with the rules of the treaties.
    Ursula wrote:
    If the U.K. were to ask for an extension, and if that were granted, then according to the rules of the treaty, then yes, a commissioner would have to be appointed and that person would receive a portfolio

Until the Council unanimously decides to reduce the requirement the two thirds minimum is irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Seems the Queen is refusing to be used as a Tory election manifesto mouthpiece. The right move from the palace.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1180447076062117888?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I wonder if local business leaders find the DUP frustrating.

I wonder if local business leaders find the DUP frustrating.

Business leaders, workers, or indeed the general population (76% ?) of NI most likely.

Business leaders, workers, or indeed the general population (76% ?) of NI most likely.

And a tradional base in farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I had a look at that Belfast telegraph and saw this :eek:

'Arlene Foster has said that a grand committee of local MPs could decide on Northern Ireland's post-Brexit trading arrangements if the Stormont institutions remain suspended.

The DUP leader last night revealed the plan to hand decision-making power on EU regulatory alignment to Westminster if power-sharing isn't restored.'

https://twitter.com/BelTel/status/1180397567538020352

• Advertisement

Think the back of the line is being taken that she actually said it. She didn't. Femi tweeted that that was effectively what she was saying but her words were not as clear cut as that.

She essentially said that Australia has done and will continue to negotiate trade deals and if the time comes to do so with the UK, then, they will.

Just in relation to Australia I noticed this Tweet which highlighted the realities of such:-

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1180265819550470144?s=19

And this point:-

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1180267852970041344?s=19

'Arlene Foster has said that a grand committee of local MPs could decide on Northern Ireland's post-Brexit trading arrangements if the Stormont institutions remain suspended.

The DUP leader last night revealed the plan to hand decision-making power on EU regulatory alignment to Westminster if power-sharing isn't restored.'

What could possibly go wrong?

Just in relation to Australia I noticed this Tweet which highlighted the realities of such:-

And this point:-

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1180267852970041344?s=19

His other comments are worth reading too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dear Arlene

even the DUP Minister for the Economy thinks you're wrong.

Obviously he's not the Minister now.

Because you got Stormont suspended. :mad:

Because that would hinder investigations into possible dodgy dealings ?

Some would even suggest Brexit itself is for a suspension of EU membership to hinder investigations into possible dodgy dealings when new EU laws take force in January.
    /RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 67,109 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It'll be a local Orange Lodge should decide before we are finished with this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It'll be a local Orange Lodge should decide before we are finished with this nonsense.

Never has LOL had more resonance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

twitter.com/BelTel/status/1180397567538020352
    10 vs 8 ?

Not even trying to pretend that this is anything other than a DUP veto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its kind of hilarious, there goes the whole british jobs for british people argument, none of them want to do this kind of stuff and the problem was forewarned at least 2 years ago....

Does anyone remember this little sweetheart idea!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/14/tory-minister-wanted-uk-pensioners-to-be-low-wage-fruit-pickers

As part of his proposal Mr Paterson even floated the idea that, since the pensioners would work slower and thus increase costs for the farmer, they could be exempt from minimum wage laws....
    You seriously couldn't make this bs up if you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Meandering off from that tweet took me to this (NSFW) Aussie video explanation of how preferential voting works. Maybe something to use from now on whenever the adjective "undemocratic" is used in the context of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Call me Al wrote: »

'Twould work quite well, now that they don't have their Thomas Cook holidays to take them out of the country.

I wonder how many of those TC employees, protesting at the weekend that they can't pay their bills, have signed up for a month's fruit-picking ...?

• Advertisement

'Twould work quite well, now that they don't have their Thomas Cook holidays to take them out of the country.

I wonder how many of those TC employees, protesting at the weekend that they can't pay their bills, have signed up for a month's fruit-picking ...?
    And how many voted "Leave"?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Does anyone know anything about the supposed 100's of gagging orders the UK government has put out stopping businesses from discussing negative effects of Brexit? Or is that more of a conspiracy?
    I've noticed a lot of companies closing and not mentioning Brexit as an issue which to me adds evidence that they've been told to not mention it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,233 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Does anyone know anything about the supposed 100's of gagging orders the UK government has put out stopping businesses from discussing negative effects of Brexit? Or is that more of a conspiracy?
    I've noticed a lot of companies closing and not mentioning Brexit as an issue which to me adds evidence that they've been told to not mention it somehow.
    I may be wrong, but I think these were NDAs (non disclosure agreements) to prevent them talking about briefings they were given by the government.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I think these were NDAs (non disclosure agreements) to prevent them talking about briefings they were given by the government.

How can you injunct [sic] the truth?

I mean, the NDA has no validity in the sense that it only relates specifically to detail given by a govt. But if you go bust, you can say "challenging trading conditions due to current uncertainty"; how would that breach an NDA relating to a briefing that involved the State saying "yeah, the fan is going to get covered in excrement. SOZ. Don't tell the peeps."

It seems too far-fetched that a government this inept could manage to get companies to hunker down behind some NDAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,233 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I mean, the NDA has no validity in the sense that it only relates specifically to detail given by a govt. But if you go bust, you can say "challenging trading conditions due to current uncertainty"; how would that breach an NDA relating to a briefing that involved the State saying "yeah, the fan is going to get covered in excrement. SOZ. Don't tell the peeps."

It seems too far-fetched that a government this inept could manage to get companies to hunker down behind some NDAs.
    This was a good while ago. Back before b-day 1. I'm not sure what the OP is referring to, but I thought it might be these NDAs, just distorted by Chinese whispers and time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the evidence is all around. TC collapsed because people did not book holidays. Honda are leaving because ... wait .. I'll think of it soon. Jaguar are in trouble because .. Oh wait - I'm sure there is a reason. Sterling is down because .. wait for it .. it's raining.

The general failing of the British economy after the last three years has nothing to do with Brexit - but I could be wrong. In july 2015 (before Brexit), GB£ was 70p to the euro, now it is 89p having been as high as 94p.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think the evidence is all around. TC collapsed because people did not book holidays. Honda are leaving because ... wait .. I'll think of it soon. Jaguar are in trouble because .. Oh wait - I'm sure there is a reason. Sterling is down because .. wait for it .. it's raining.

The general failing of the British economy after the last three years has nothing to do with Brexit - but I could be wrong. In july 2015 (before Brexit), GB£ was 70p to the euro, now it is 89p having been as high as 94p.

Thomas Cook collapsed because of a failed merger and associated legacy debt, Brexit had little to do with it tbh.

Not everything can be pinned on Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good thread on EU position now

https://twitter.com/MarkUrban01/status/1180482180755202048

It's not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Literally just read that Kermit, Hungary not going to surprise anyone either
    [url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BenChu_/status/1180504684534079490

Depends how long UK economy could stutter on with ever more tightly restricted access to EU markets...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement