Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The same people who own them. The government bodies in the respective juristictions. TII in the South and whoever their counterpart is in NI.

TII funded the build, but the design was ultimately down to the operator.

TII issue a request for tenders, and specify the key requirements of what they want to be included in the service area.

Tenders get submitted by a number if potential operators, which include the design and subsequent operation of the sites. TII (NRA at the time) would bear the cost of construction - but based on the tenderee’s design - and recover the capital as part of the rental (based on sales royalties).

Superstop (a consortium of Applegreen and Tedcastles (Top Oil)) won the M1 and M4 services - and the sites were built based on their design from the tender docs.

In most other counties the tender process includes the operator taking responsibility for the build of the site. Not sure why NRA decided to take on the build themselves

Was there a similar tender for NI M2 and M1?

No idea on specifics - but I’d imagine so given it’s standard practice for online MSAs across Europe

EDIT

A small bit of googling suggests that this is yet another area where NI likes to be different.

Articles suggest that Applegreen built them independently and received an allowance for online access

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21029188

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

ongarboy wrote: »
    Someone from NI visits one MSA visit in the Republic once and makes an absolute comparison based on a single visit? Secondly, does anyone seriously expect an MSA to be a an oasis or sanctuary of peace and harmony to linger and dwell for hours ?

Most motorists want a clean, efficient stop off place where they can refuel, grab and go rather than hang out in a health spa environment. Granted, some MSAs down south have become victims of their own success as locals use it for their daily feed of carvery/Whopper/Big Mac, tables left dirty, queues etc.

Birdhill Applegreen is my favorite for spaciousness, least crowds and cleanliness and Obama my least favorite for the exact opposite reasons

Depends on how long it will take to recharge the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

flazio wrote: »
    ongarboy wrote: »
    Someone from NI visits one MSA visit in the Republic once and makes an absolute comparison based on a single visit? Secondly, does anyone seriously expect an MSA to be a an oasis or sanctuary of peace and harmony to linger and dwell for hours ?

Most motorists want a clean, efficient stop off place where they can refuel, grab and go rather than hang out in a health spa environment. Granted, some MSAs down south have become victims of their own success as locals use it for their daily feed of carvery/Whopper/Big Mac, tables left dirty, queues etc.

Birdhill Applegreen is my favorite for spaciousness, least crowds and cleanliness and Obama my least favorite for the exact opposite reasons

Depends on how long it will take to recharge the battery.

Agreed, I don't appreciate screaming wee'uns running about after a long day behind the wheel, or dirty toilets, or overpriced, nasty "food" or fuel.

A good set of services makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I actually meant an EV battery but your point is valid as well. :cool:

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I actually meant an EV battery but your point is valid as well. :cool:

Woops, sorry...I meant to reply to the thread you replied to...apologies. :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Considering it's all the same island, it is highly unlikely there is any noticeable difference between NI MSAs and ROI ones. I always find MSAs anywhere to be bland and corporate.
    The guy asking why they're different is imagining things.

The NI ones are a bit pokey and there’s only two of them, but they’ve Greggs so all is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

spacetweek wrote: »
    Considering it's all the same island, it is highly unlikely there is any noticeable difference between NI MSAs and ROI ones. I always find MSAs anywhere to be bland and corporate.
    The guy asking why they're different is imagining things.

The ones up north are indeed a different design than the ones down south, made more noticeable by them also being applegreens, they are also slightly different from each other up North. However given there are now Circle K MSAs of an entirely different design again I think it's just a case that the NI MSAs are practically brand new while the ones on the M1 in the south are over a decade old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The NI ones are a bit pokey and there’s only two of them, but they’ve Greggs so all is forgiven.

Three, with a fourth coming :D

M1 Lisburn north and south, and one outbound on the M2 just outside Belfast.

• Advertisement

Three, with a forth coming :D

I forgot there was both sides at Lisburn. I’d be a regular stopper at Templepatrick. Where’s the 4th going?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Three, with a forth coming :D

That’s their motorway “network” more than well served so.

The Department for Infrastructure in NI.

Why aren't Applegreen given the contract for all islandwide MSAs considering they are probably the best option?

Also, why are the NI MSAs superior in terms of comfort and quality?

NI get a £10 billion a year donation from Westmister.

Sorry, but that is nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

If Lisburn north and south are across the road from each other, that should really only count as 1.
    The ones on the ROI M1 are on opposite sides of the motorway with no connection between them and each of those only counts as 1.
    So there are only 2 in NI.

If Lisburn north and south are across the road from each other, that should really only count as 1.
    The ones on the ROI M1 are on opposite sides of the motorway with no connection between them and each of those only counts as 1.
    So there are only 2 in NI.

Hardly...try walking from one to the other.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is a motorway so you cannot walk anywhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

road_high wrote: »

Looking forward to this. Does anyone know if this services will have a McDonalds?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. Does anyone know if this services will have a McDonalds?

Tender included a fast food offering, and McD's are the current partner of choice for Circle K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

JupiterKid wrote: »

McDs confirmed for Kilcullen. Hiring of staff underway.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/482302/mcdonalds-coming-to-kilcullen-and-hiring-staff.html

You can't walk between the ones in the ROI either! That's the point I'm making.

You can't walk between the ones in the ROI either! That's the point I'm making.

The one facing the M2 (NI) Applegreen was supposed to be finished by now, but for some reason, no more work other than a tiny bit of site clearance ever took place.
    I wonder what happened....

Signs all up for the M9 Kilcullen MSA. Some not covered over so might be a tad confusing for non regulars

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Signs all up for the M9 Kilcullen MSA. Some not covered over so might be a tad confusing for non regulars

This day 2 weeks for the "Grand Opening"... roll on for the first online MSA in Co. Kildare! :)

emfifty wrote: »
    This day 2 weeks for the "Grand Opening"... roll on for the first online MSA in Co. Kildare! :)

Is J14 Mayfield not online?

Is J14 Mayfield not online?

It’s on a normal junction rather than it’s own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Friday 25th October

We're celebrating the grand opening of our new site at Circle K M9 Kilcullen from 9am - 7pm. To mark the occasion motorists can fuel up with miles for 10c less per litre all day (from 12.00am to 11.59pm)!

In addition to the fuel offer, the following instore offers will be available at Circle K M9 Kilcullen on Friday 25th October only:
    • Spinning wheel competitions
    • €2 Real Hot Dogs
    • 50% off any purchase from the Circle K deli range
    • Free pastry with any purchase of Simply Great Coffee
    ..and other surprises on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

m9 station opened yesterday

• Advertisement

patrickc wrote: »
    m9 station opened yesterday

Really? Can't find anything on the web and it was only supposed to open today last I heard.

Edit: Well, there is this.

Advertisement