Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Crazy close pass by an ass in an Audi this morning just at the forecourts - zipped up the bus lane at crazy speed, skimming every cyclist he passed, then darted across to the central lane, taking the bus lane all the way to O'Connell bridge. It's bizarre that there's no camera in place to catch and fine these arsehools.

Are you sure it wasn't an unmarked garda car? Still needs to be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'll have a look back at the rear camera. If it's a Garda car reacting to an incident, a few blue lights might alert people.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Stopped at zebra crossing with car and a ride on lawnmower. Last pedestrian crossing, lawnmower moves off after they passed, then I did. Car beside me took off before the pedestrian had finished crossing, then had to hit the brakes. Wen round the next corner and a swarm of pedestrians are crossing the carpark. I stop as there are 30, and it is only going to be 5 seconds. Car behind me, decided waiting for such plebs was beyond them and overtook me and drove into the crowd but hit the brakes before injuring anyone. What a muppet. Some cyclist then decided to slow pedal in front of the car out of spite, I felt he was right.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A garda close pass would be even worse than your standard close pass IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I go the same route pretty much every work day. With this you get to see the same people and of course there are always a few who always break rules.
    So on my way home I see the same car with the same guys in it. As usual they are speeding up the bus lane. They beep and shot at cyclists regularly and on this occasion I see the driver punishment pass a cyclist for slowing them down.
    Due to traffic and the cycle lanes I pass them and they pass me etc.. but they are in the bus lane the whole way.
    Then I see the Gardai hiding to catch people in the bus lane. So I watch them to see if they are going to be caught. They spot the Gardai and pull into regular traffic. I cycle up to the the Gardai to make sure they catch them and point them out. He pulls them in and said he saw them anyway. They of course see me and know I made sure they were pulled in.
    Forward to this morning I cycle by them as they are in the bus lane again and stuck in traffic. Que lots of abuse about me being a rat. This now appears to be part of my regular cycle where they will probably physically threaten me with the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I
    Forward to this morning I cycle by them as they are in the bus lane again and stuck in traffic. Que lots of abuse about me being a rat. This now appears to be part of my regular cycle where they will probably physically threaten me with the car.
    Get a helmet camera or similar. Point to it theatrically.

Get a helmet camera or similar. Point to it theatrically.

Cause that will stop them sure!!

OP these are low life scum, pay no attention to them at all, they will get bored after a few days.

They are looking for a sign they are getting to you, give them no reaction

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cause that will stop them sure!!

OP these are low life scum, pay no attention to them at all, they will get bored after a few days.

They are looking for a sign they are getting to you, give them no reaction

It won't. There's not many things that can stop a determined driver from mowing a cyclist down, but a camera will catch their antics and can result in prosecution and penalty for the driver.

It won't. There's not many things that can stop a determined driver from mowing a cyclist down, but a camera will catch their antics and can result in prosecution and penalty for the driver.

I don't think prosecution worries these guys sadly. Have dealt and grown up with people like this, their attention span is small

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't think prosecution worries these guys sadly. Have dealt and grown up with people like this, their attention span is small

one's personal experience does not mean that it will hold true for all. And we can all point to people we knew, see etc growing up or have dealt with, but again that doesn't mean that the next person to try the suggest solution will have no success.

I bet the garda just gave them a warning for optics. If they started actually getting points and fines however, they might cop on. Slim as that may be.

If you had them on camera,I'd report it to trafficwatch, and I'd keep doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Helmet cam for a few successive cycles; take the film on USB (and a laptop) to the local garda station, ask for the garda who was on traffic duty that day, and show him the film of the same guys doing the same thing every day. Also contact Traffic Watch (094) 904 9400‬, especially if they threaten you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Eventful commute home this evening. So many frustrated and angry motorists out there.

Had a black golf dart in front of me and sped up the bus lane as I exited the Phoenix park - he managed to undertake 4 cars before sitting in the bus lane queueing for the lights, along with a dozen or so other motorists doing the same thing.

Another black golf (couldn’t of been the same car as he would have been stuck way further back) did a crazy close pass when overtaking me further up the road - it’s narrow so I was taking the lane, but that wasn't going to deter mM. Golf. Caused the oncoming car to swerve to avoid him.

For good measure then, I had a neighbour close to my house overtake and left hook me. Okily dokily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I was knocked off again on Sunday when a car right turned into my path. Driver even beeped me as I was falling and then drove off. Another driver copped what he did and blocked him fleeing.
    The driver was told to go back to the scene. He u-turned to return and seeing his way was clear to flee the scene, u-turned again, and drove off.
    People were great and helped me off the road. Some cuts and bruises and a dead leg/glute. OK otherwise. A kind lady gave me a lift home. She was horrified that he drove off. Some damage to my bike and shoes.
    I got the Reg, make, model as another driver took a photo of the car when it was blocked in. I have rear fly 6 video footage and the driver behind me in the junction as a witness (hopefully, unless AGS scare them off with the OTT formalities of making a statement).
    This is the second time this year I have been knocked off on that road and had a driver leave me on the road. Very frustrating. Some total scum with no respect for other road users, particularly vulnerable ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,736 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a criminal offence, not a civil offence, to leave the scene of an accident. common sense would suggest that this asshole won't be able to plead for leniency because he took two attempts to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Crikey, feel better K, and be sure to nail the b@stard!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

it's a criminal offence, not a civil offence, to leave the scene of an accident. common sense would suggest that this asshole won't be able to plead for leniency because he took two attempts to leave.

Thanks and true. Unfortunately, I have no faith in AGS to successfully investigate this. My rear cctv footage will be deemed useless as it does not show the Reg, and it all hinges on other cctv or the witness. The driver will lie his ass off as the first interview (which is voluntary) is not under caution.
    The system is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Pretty sure you don't need footage of the reg to get a conviction?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Stark wrote: »
    Pretty sure you don't need footage of the reg to get a conviction?

He has video of make/model/colour along with a third party photo of the same, with a reg. I think he should be ok.

...not that they'll do anything about it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Saw a cyclist down on the footpath just past Ranleigh station this evening heading towards town. Not sure what happened, they looked unconscious and a passerby appeared to be calling emergency services. He was right up against the wall and I didn’t spot him at first. Saw the bike first and did a double take. Hope they were okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

5uspect wrote: »
    Saw a cyclist down on the footpath just past Ranleigh station this evening heading towards town. Not sure what happened, they looked unconscious and a passerby appeared to be calling emergency services. He was right up against the wall and I didn’t spot him at first. Saw the bike first and did a double take. Hope they were okay.

Hope they're ok too, but the guy on the phone doesn't look too concerned. When I was knocked off a few months ago and an ambulance was called, I wasn't too bad and tried to sit up but the guy on the other end of the phone said I should remain lying down until the ambulance arrived. Hopefully it's the same thing here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is it possible that the guy on the phone is the cyclist and had spotted someone on the ground??

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Thanks and true. Unfortunately, I have no faith in AGS to successfully investigate this. My rear cctv footage will be deemed useless as it does not show the Reg, and it all hinges on other cctv or the witness. The driver will lie his ass off as the first interview (which is voluntary) is not under caution.
    The system is wrong.

Any interview with a driver, where they may have committed any offence, is taken after the caution has been administered. If they have not been cautioned then their statement will not be allowed into evidence. Most solicitors will advise their client not to make a statement to the Gardai in these circumstances.

The offences outlined in your post are the offences under section 106 of the Road Traffic Act and perhaps dangerous driving/ careless driving. In your instance, Gardai don’t have a power to arrest and interview the driver. If they want the drivers version, it must be done in a voluntary manner.

Your rear cam doesn’t need to show the registration to be used in evidence. It most likely will still show the circumstances of the incident. People have been convicted of these offences before CCTV became as prevalent as it is now.

Were the Gardai at the accident? Have they spoken to the driver?

Hopefully the driver is prosecuted. I was badly injured a few years ago in similar circumstances by an old doddery guy turning right at a T junction. Similarly he tried to leave the scene. It ended with him being disqualified from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

The system is wrong.

For every story you hear that someone reported something and it went nowhere, there is another where the Garda took it seriously and assisted in a prosecution. The other party can lie all they want but it's up to you to persist, find the right Garda and get the guy in front of a judge. It takes a very smart person to lie successfully through an investigation so unless you think he is that smart, it's worth pursuing. I had a guy prosecuted with zero evidence, zero witnesses - it was his word v mine. Also - chances are that your guy has priors which could help persuade the Garda to drive a prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I was knocked off again on Sunday when a car right turned into my path. Driver even beeped me as I was falling and then drove off. Another driver copped what he did and blocked him fleeing.
    The driver was told to go back to the scene. He u-turned to return and seeing his way was clear to flee the scene, u-turned again, and drove off.
    People were great and helped me off the road. Some cuts and bruises and a dead leg/glute. OK otherwise. A kind lady gave me a lift home. She was horrified that he drove off. Some damage to my bike and shoes.
    I got the Reg, make, model as another driver took a photo of the car when it was blocked in. I have rear fly 6 video footage and the driver behind me in the junction as a witness (hopefully, unless AGS scare them off with the OTT formalities of making a statement).
    This is the second time this year I have been knocked off on that road and had a driver leave me on the road. Very frustrating. Some total scum with no respect for other road users, particularly vulnerable ones.

Sorry to hear about this. Not nice being knocked off the bike. Would you mind saying where it happened? I always find it useful to note places in this thread that are considerably dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

steamsey wrote: »
    For every story you hear that someone reported something and it went nowhere, there is another where the Garda took it seriously and assisted in a prosecution. The other party can lie all they want but it's up to you to persist, find the right Garda and get the guy in front of a judge. It takes a very smart person to lie successfully through an investigation so unless you think he is that smart, it's worth pursuing. I had a guy prosecuted with zero evidence, zero witnesses - it was his word v mine. Also - chances are that your guy has priors which could help persuade the Garda to drive a prosecution.

Yes and no. After quite a few traffic watch reports the ratio of decent to useless RPU gardai is probably around 1:3. The main issue though is the local Inspector gets to decide on prosecutions. If you had a station with 20 Gardai all excellent but an inspector thats a petrol head anti cyclist you'll never get single thing done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Stupid amount of impatience around this evening this guy this guy almost took my elbow off to get to the back of the queue at the lights to then turn into a house saved himself nothing.

Then a few minutes later I looked back to signal right and saw this lady approach indicating left perfect I think I'll pull right, get into lane and she can continue to turn left but she was having none of that for the sake of 2 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

This one failed to get a prosecution, in my opinion it was unnecessarily close and fast and punishment for not being in the cycle lane. but not close enough I guess.

I was surprised the amount of cyclist vitriol for being out of the cycle lane. I've posted close passes on this junction before and always been told to get more central. I know it's not the same people but damned if you do and damned if you don't :)

https://twitter.com/alan____d/status/1179333746207666176?s=19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He could have hit you and then reversed over you and your cargo and someone on Twitter would claim you deserved it. The world really is becoming a more and more toxic place.

On a positive note, a motorcyclist went to town on a guy who ran a red as kids were starting to cross. It was nice not to be the only one annoyed at the pointless risk to a child's life.

He caught the car quickly because after we both waited for green, the car was only 10m down the road. 10 ****ing meters. That's what risking kids lives is worth nowadays. Humanity's ****ed, time to pack up and wave goodbye. All those climate activists, I pity them, because we simply don't deserve to be let go on as a species when we let muppetry like this continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Managed to come out the worst from an altercation with a driver on pembroke road this morning. Frustrating morning for drivers, it was raining and traffic was backed up/slow.

There are a line of parked cars on that road every morning. I was outside the doorzone and perhaps a bit beyond that, because there is a temporary surface where they have been laying pipes or something.

Anyway very close pass from a driver as i went down the road, he was two feet or so in from the centre line as he passed me. Caught up to him at the next lights. His window was slightly open and I said to him (calmly) to leave more space and "you came very close to me mate". He responded that I was in the middle of the road. I responded a little less calmly (but without really raising my voice) that it didn't matter if I was in the middle of the road I was entitled to be in the middle of the road anyway and it didn't Fing excuse a close pass one way or the other.

His response was still calm - "now you're just being abusive" as I cycled off. My final response was not calm at all. I stopped turned around and shouted back "Less Fing abusive than coming within 6 inches with a two tonne vehicle."

Anyway I had been doing well keeping my cool in these situations. I would have been far more satisfied looking back on the encounter if I had remained calm throughout instead of getting annoyed at the end. And by doing so I let the driver see himself as being the one in the right in the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Fian wrote: »
    Managed to come out the worst from an altercation with a driver on pembroke road this morning. Frustrating morning for drivers, it was raining and traffic was backed up/slow.

There are a line of parked cars on that road every morning. I was outside the doorzone and perhaps a bit beyond that, because there is a temporary surface where they have been laying pipes or something.

Anyway very close pass from a driver as i went down the road, he was two feet or so in from the centre line as he passed me. Caught up to him at the next lights. His window was slightly open and I said to him (calmly) to leave more space and "you came very close to me mate". He responded that I was in the middle of the road. I responded a little less calmly (but without really raising my voice) that it didn't matter if I was in the middle of the road I was entitled to be in the middle of the road anyway and it didn't Fing excuse a close pass one way or the other.

His response was still calm - "now you're just being abusive" as I cycled off. My final response was not calm at all. I stopped turned around and shouted back "Less Fing abusive than coming within 6 inches with a two tonne vehicle."

Anyway I had been doing well keeping my cool in these situations. I would have been far more satisfied looking back on the encounter if I had remained calm throughout instead of getting annoyed at the end. And by doing so I let the driver see himself as being the one in the right in the situation.

if I get a response like "you were in the middle of the road" or similar after a motorist has put me in danger I usually just respond with "that's to stop people like you acting the cun_t"

It's not big and it's not clever, but I'm a firm believer in telling people when they are acting like c&nts.

If the reply with an apology or the like, I say "no worries, have a good day."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement