Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Principal Officer competition 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

I've noticed the stage 1 assessment requires access to a computer with a web cam - any idea what this for?

Isn't stage 1 usually verbal, numerical and job simulation tests, I can't think why a web cam would be needed for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

xeresod wrote: »
    I've noticed the stage 1 assessment requires access to a computer with a web cam - any idea what this for?

Isn't stage 1 usually verbal, numerical and job simulation tests, I can't think why a web cam would be needed for that!

One previous P.O. higher required you to record yourself answering 3 pre set questions - I think, from memory, it was some sort of shortlisting

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

xeresod wrote: »

For the AO, the aptitude tests were remotely supervised - I don't think they needed to verify in PAS offices as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

cee_jay wrote: »
    For the AO, the aptitude tests were remotely supervised - I don't think they needed to verify in PAS offices as a result.

So the computer you hope to use to take the test must have a webcam to verify that it's you taking the test!?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Yes - you connect and there is an invigilator on the other end who checks your room/surroundings, nothing on the desk, etc. Sound on so they can hear anything happening in the room. You stay connected to them then while taking the test.
    It may have been the AO they did this with - or another campaign - but I know someone who had this earlier this year.

• Advertisement

cee_jay wrote: »
    Yes - you connect and there is an invigilator on the other end who checks your room/surroundings, nothing on the desk, etc. Sound on so they can hear anything happening in the room. You stay connected to them then while taking the test.
    It may have been the AO they did this with - or another campaign - but I know someone who had this earlier this year.

I know the tests are designed to reduce the numbers, but I can see a lot of people saying to hell with this approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I’d have to buy a new laptop!

Addle wrote: »

Sure plenty of people wouldn't have a personal laptop at all.

Edit: A few in the office talking about doing it wearing a Scream mask or a balaclava!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

Addle wrote: »

I'd have to buy a new house!

Or use someone else's without kids & animals so it doesn't look a bomb hit it!!!

Although last time I did the tests from bed, if I did that with a webcam I'd either have a very happy invigilator or cause them to run screaming from the room :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

Has anyone any official confirmation that there will be online tests? The first Sec first stage was shortlisting and then a video interview. It seems a more suitable process for roles at this level.

• Advertisement

Submitted this late last - Re the 3 500 word questions. First two were fine, but only got approx 400 words for the 3rd section. Happy enough though.

Anyone hear any whispers about what's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 randomer542

so, I've just realized I never saved the information booklet! Doh!
    Anyone any idea where I might get my hands on it? thanks

Got a text message in the last couple of minutes to check for an update on Public Jobs

Dear "Chinese Whospers",

I refer to the above named competition.

It is anticipated that the online testing window will take place between the 4th and 6th November. Please be advised that familiarisation material for the online assessments will issue to you over the coming days. As yet, no test links have been issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Got a text message in the last couple of minutes to check for an update on Public Jobs

Dear "Chinese Whospers",

It is anticipated that the online testing window will take place between the 4th and 6th November. Please be advised that familiarisation material for the online assessments will issue to you over the coming days. As yet, no test links have been issued.

Received the same message. I didn't save the information booklet either. Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Dear "Chinese Whospers",

Got a mail stating the same

Past30Now wrote: »
    Received the same message. I didn't save the information booklet either. Can anyone help?

I didn't save it either.

But, I don't think the next stage requires it (could be wrong - first time CS applicant).

However, if we get through that stage it would be good to reference again. If you go into your application on PublicJobs.ie there's a contact email address.

She could be contacted if progressed after the next stage.

I'm looking forward to seeing the familiarisation material.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I have the booklet saved but can't attach it here. DM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.

Xofpod wrote: »
    I have the booklet saved but can't attach it here. DM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.

See, this is the type that will get the actual PO job offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Summer2019

See, this is the type that will get the actual PO job offer :)

I got a message from PAS in relation to the next step in this competition and it mentions remote invigilation. Has anyone done the Critical Analysis test through PAS before?

It doesn't have any links to view the format.

• Advertisement

Guff of the highest order from PAS in relation to this testing.

The remote invigilation is bad enough, but to restrict the testing to 9.30-3.30 is an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Summer2019

hardybuck wrote: »
    Guff of the highest order from PAS in relation to this testing.

The remote invigilation is bad enough, but to restrict the testing to 9.30-3.30 is an absolute joke.

I understand what you mean, I need to take time off work, use the home laptop as computers in work block everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bazzajf

I agree with the above comments re the restrictive window of time in which candidates may undertake the test. I would suggest that most people would have to take time off work to do the test. It's ridiculously inflexible - it appears to me that PAS are continuously tinkering with their Open/ID competition processes and somehow (despite years of experience) stumble from screw-up to screw-up. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a difficult thing to get right and they're doing their best but they're not helping themselves with this type of format.

I don't see the issue myself.

It's even a benefit to do this at home and not have to travel. Now, I understand the test may be repeated in a test centre to further stream candidates, but these jobs are senior positions and I can understand if there's a few hurdles to overcome. I certainly don't think expecting someone to take time off work to progress is a significant ask.

Hmmm, do I have empathy issues :confused::pac:

I don't see the issue myself.

It's even a benefit to do this at home and not have to travel. Now, I understand the test may be repeated in a test centre to further stream candidates, but these jobs are senior positions and I can understand if there's a few hurdles to overcome. I certainly don't think expecting someone to take time off work to progress is a significant ask.

Hmmm, do I have empathy issues :confused::pac:

Many of the people who are potential applicants will be reluctant enough to bother with these tests at all, and this will be an extra reason not to.

APs currently in the organisation, particularly AP1s, won't see a big increase in pay by going for it, particularly for the increased responsibility, and there is plenty of apathy towards taking on PO posts within the Civil Service as it is.

This is good news for some people but bad news for the organisation in terms of securing talent.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Many of the people who are potential applicants will be reluctant enough to bother with these tests at all, and this will be an extra reason not to.

APs currently in the organisation, particularly AP1s, won't see a big increase in pay by going for it, particularly for the increased responsibility, and there is plenty of apathy towards taking on PO posts within the Civil Service as it is.

This is good news for some people but bad news for the organisation in terms of securing talent.

There's very little of the above I'd have sympathy for.

And if they are only looking for a higher salary they're probably not the right people we need in those positions, especially if they are going to be put off by what I'd consider a relatively minor ask.

Personally I'd be taking a pay cut. Not a massive one in fairness.

But, I'm not looking to start a flame war so would rather not derail the thread.

There's very little of the above I'd have sympathy for.

And if they are only looking for a higher salary they're probably not the right people we need in those positions, especially if they are going to be put off by what I'd consider a relatively minor ask.

Personally I'd be taking a pay cut. Not a massive one in fairness.

But, I'm not looking to start a flame war so would rather not derail the thread.

You shouldn't have sympathy at all for it - but PAS are still making a bad call on this, and it will prompt people not to go forward who will be suitable candidates.

On a plus it'll reduce their testing overheads...

Fair play to you for taking a cut if it suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Have they culled any applications at this stage, or does everyone automatically go forward for the remote testing bit?

doughef wrote: »
    Have they culled any applications at this stage, or does everyone automatically go forward for the remote testing bit?

Not sure by how much but some people will not have been brought forward or else the application process was pointless.

• Advertisement

Not sure by how much but some people will not have been brought forward or else the application process was pointless.

Not necessarily. In other competitions there is often a situation where the testing is the first hurdle. The forms are used at a later stage for shortlisting or at interview. These forms were particularly short on this occasion so I can't be certain if that would make a shortlist or less likely

Advertisement