Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it moral to do up your house?

Options
  • 02-10-2019 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

The former RTE reporter has slammed home makeover show Room to Improve, calling it "disgusting" and "insensitive".

WLR FM radio host Damien Tiernan, who worked for the state broadcaster for 23 years, said he'd been "waiting years to those words."

Writing on Twitter on Sunday night, Damien said: "That #roomtoimprove is a disgusting programme. At no time does Bannon question the morality of what he is promoting.

"It’s a complete cod of a programme that plays on people’s greed, opulence and avarice. And #rte promotes it as entertainment? Pathetic. They should be ashamed."

He added: "Sorry but am waiting years to say those words! Thought there 'might' have been a change or realisation of a changed world in the past few seasons but now... and as a conceptual prog, it's shockingly bad."

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/room-to-improve-damien-tiernan-20378565

Well is it moral to do up houses when some people only live in hotels? Do you feel guilty decorating your house?

Personally, I think his line of reasoning is mental.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A load of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Utter nonsense, it sounds like he either has a chip on his shoulder about something to do with a former employer or he’s looking for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Bullsh*t.
    Pure and utter.

Should we ban football because of all those who had dreams of playing that never came true?

Some people have things that other people don't have. That's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What a load of bollox - what people spend their hard earned money on is their own business. Everybody would like a nice a house - after food it's probably the number 2 reason to put up with work shít day in day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Sure let's ban cooking programmes too!

Imagine the cheek, eating a steak!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Notice box. He's like a lad that's stuck renting or got turned down for a mortgage!
    Of all the things to run RTÉ down over he picked that and Fair City on 4 nights a frigging week????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is it moral for people to spend their own money on stuff they want?

That's a difficult question indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

salmocab wrote:
    Utter nonsense, it sounds like he either has a chip on his shoulder about something to do with a former employer or he’s looking for attention.

Or maybe he's saying, there's something fcuking weird when people are spending 10's, maybe 100's of thousands doing up their homes, and we can't house a few thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sure let's ban cooking programmes too!

Imagine the cheek, eating a steak!!!

I cant cook, and I find it offensive and immoral to have professional chefs on telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If he wanted to criticise RTE there's plenty to choose from.

The house owners are generally the best thing about the programme,what I've seen of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

But what about the homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Or maybe he's saying, there's something fcuking weird when people are spending 10's, maybe 100's of thousands doing up their homes, and we can't house a few thousand

Anyone with hubdreds of thousands will have paid a good whack of tax on it. They are hardly concealing income from the Revenue and going on TV. It is those taxes that should be spent on the homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

I recommend he takes a long walk off a short cliff, insufferable ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ah I know he is trying the Eoin McDermott route for the stupidest things to say and comment on...

Seems to be a trend in rte and those that were once there.

I do feel at times though the show has people on nearly gloating look at me I'll have a much better house yada yada but not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

*Ads to list
    I can't have nice things cause some people don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But what about the homeless?

Journal.ie comments section is that way >>>

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Reminds me of that time Leo Varadkar was spotted wearing a nice jacket and one of the communist TDs called him out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

by spending money on your home you are creating employment to the trades doing the work and to all the shops supplying the materials etc. then there is the revenue getting their share.
    so everytime you spend your money locallly you are helping to house clothe and feed other people that work for a living and through tax you are doing the same for those that cant or wont work

what do these types of clowns think we should do . should we spend our money on cars that ae imported or just give the money to those that dont diserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Ya that is what he's saying.

That's exactly why it's so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Idiot says something stupid on twitter shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They seemed like a very likeable couple last Sunday night

wrong week to have a go at Bannons show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Is the issue not really that RTE are promoting boom time type programmes while the reality outside the utopia of Donnybrook is quite different?

Is the issue not really that RTE are promoting boom time type programmes while the reality outside the utopia of Donnybrook is quite different?

How is it a boom time program - it's people spending money renovating property they own? The country is doing quite well overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

what are you talking about? what would anybody's personal choice to do up their gaff have anything to do with homeless? My ma changed her garden because she couldn't physically cope. But sure how dare she she should have given it to the homeless.

Its like the journal, everything equated to homelessness...what about the homeless...

This has nothing to do with homelessness, which in itself is split into different levels of problems. Rising rents causing evictions , actual on street homelessness, cost of housing etc. Its a problem of course it is a full crisis. But if somebody works 9-5 earning a wage they can spend their own money on whatever the fck they like

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What a bitter prick. He was sacked and now has a major chip on his shoulder. His silly little rant will hopefully do him more harm than good. Wanker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Twitter has given these morons oxygen and a platform.

Lets put this in perspective - there are approx 10k people on the "homeless" list out of a population of 4.8 million. Should the rest of us simply give up on having anything nice because 10k have fallen on hard times? And lets not even get in to what percentage of that 10k are playing a long game for a free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wonder did he Tweet also that Magaret Cash shouldn't have bought a horse for her sons Birthday because they are still people homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Tune in next week when Dermot shows you how to pimp your 4-man tent in the Phoenix Park with a tarpaulin porch.

(Is that why they call them LCD TVs?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I think his point is more about RTE's glorification of consumerism and excess through this programme, rather than the people doing up their houses. Nothing wrong with people fixing up their gaffs but why does it need to be televised as entertainment etc. Banging on about "people can spend their money how they want" is beside the point.

Advertisement