Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it moral to do up your house?

Options
1234568»

Comments

I struggle with most things ArrBee. I can't put on my socks without being perplexed at least twice, but being an idiot is not a crime.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I don’t agree with that at all, wanting to have a big tv is nothing to do with trying to show off it’s wanting a proper big tv to enjoy watching sport, movies etc. if you think wealthy peoole don’t have big TVs you are mistaken.

Of course they do. Or many at least. And some people do want to show off whatever they have and that includes their big ass tv's. My point wasn't about that however. I was contrasting new money with old and their social and cultural norms, giving an example of the difference in attitudes between how new money and old see the importance of tvs, and particularly big screen tv's.

Im currently working with an archetoct on desins for my new build and both my living room and tv room are being designed around the tv so to speak ensuring a large flat wall is available to hang a very big tv in both rooms. It’s is absolutely nothing to do with showing off it’s because I want very big TVs for my enjoyment. The rooms are also big so even a 50 inch tv would look fairly small so 70inch or bigger TVs won’t look out of place at all.

In general though I call bull on this comment you often see about wealthy people not showing it, most do it’s only the odd one that likes to pretend they aren’t wealthy and I see it as all a bit stupid really. Also when I say showing it I don’t mean showing off I mean you can see they own expensive and quality things, their house is obviously extremely well done at high cost etc.

Yeah again good luck on your design plans whatever they entail-most architects and designers I've met hate big tvs (they have to design around big black spaces on the wall) but the fact remains that many old money families with generational wealth eschew them entirely, while particularly new moneyed working class or even middle class like to have enormous ones in their sitting rooms. It's a well documented cultural phenomenon in other countries like the UK.
    tv snobbery

Not saying I agree with any of it, just making an observation.

From what I can see here most Irish wealthy people do like to show it conspicuously. But I was giving the example of Anglo Irish, and English middle to upper class expats who have come here to live who's homes i've been inside. And they either won't have one in their home at all because they see it as a bad influence on them and their kids or as low class entertainment. Or have the smallest one they can find and keep it out of sight until there's something they actually want to watch on it. Like one woman in an estate in Wicklow who had a portable hidden in her kitchen cupboard :pac:

It's just interesting to me to see what different people prioritise and desire. Go to Copenhagen for example and you will see company executives riding bicycles and only driving at the weekends, or even not owning but renting a car when they want one. Because bicycles are not seen as something for kids or the poor. In fact some of the high end hipster upright bicycles I've seen there are worth more than some cars!

And it's a more egalitarian and equal society where many feel it's in poor taste to flaunt obvious signs of wealth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I see what you mean, but the expression "old money" also bothers me.

People have romantic notions about "old money", when really, if you think about it, it refers to people who are suddenly flat-broke, and living beyond their means, because their ancestors spent a fortune doing ridiculous things, like building follies...

Well many are not necessarily flat broke, I know some with a lot of money who through connections retained and built on their wealth, but yes of course you get the ones living in relative poverty too.
    It costs nothing to plant a garden that might give you decades of enjoyment, instead of employing some 'landscape architect'. Plant some trees that might give you a sense of sanctuary in your home, instead of deploying it as a show-piece for strangers who might admire it from the N52 road.

You're speaking to the converted here. :)

I understand some people don't like gardening or say they don't have time for it, but anyone can create a garden that is very low maintenance with a pleasant area to sit out and enjoy by doing some research on garden design and appropriate planting. It may take a bit longer than the instant garden that Diarmuid Gavin designed on RTI, but there is satisfaction in doing it yourself and of course we know now gardening has all kinds of positive benefits for mental health.

Ok if you have a huge site of several acres and want to lay out formal gardens you may need some professional help, but for most people with a back garden as seen on that show I think it's unnecessary and as you say just a show piece to impress strangers.

The problem I think also is some people want instant results and if they have it would rather spend a lot of money on getting it done now rather than doing some work themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I struggle with most things ArrBee. I can't put on my socks without being perplexed at least twice, but being an idiot is not a crime.

Surely by the second sock you'd have it sorted, no?
    :P

sasta le wrote: »
    150 -200 k to do up a house normal?Thats a mortgage

A 3 bed semi, 50-60 years old, in need of modernization and expansion to allow for modern family living could easily soak up that amount- How you obtain the funding for it is down to your own personal finances and credit facilities available

• Advertisement
Advertisement