Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,965 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Boggles wrote: »
    Which one, I made a bunch of claims I think?

That alternatives to DP would cost 3 times as much. Just wondering how you work that or what knowledge or facts you have in relation to it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That alternatives to DP would cost 3 times as much. Just wondering how you work that or what knowledge or facts you have in relation to it.

Emergency accommodation for asylum seekers costs three times more than Direct Provision centres

No Cheaper Alternatives To Direct Provision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Surley the alternative would cost zero. Don't let them here, let them apply to the embassies in the country they are "fleeing".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As with the majority of things these days, the government are wrong.

The cheapest option is to stop processing Albanians and Georgians in Ireland. They are in vast majority bogus, wasting time and money,

We need secure centers where asylum seekers can be held and processed and If they are denied asylum off home with them without ever having to be integrated or disappearing and moving around to prevent deportation

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,662 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please do not respond further to posts from anyone who is threadbanned

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Critiqued

Scammer refugees are nothing but a burden on the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

alastair wrote: »
    We’re getting comparatively low numbers compared to many other EU countries, so we should be able to cope. France is having a particularly difficult time in dealing with it’s numbers all the same. But it’s our legal responsibility.

Apologies I was way off.
    I still think government need to come up with a better solution to DP though.
    I can't see how 100's of men are going to integrate into a small community

• Registered Users Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

matt360 wrote: »

Did your man on the radio claim that too?

Did your man on the radio claim that too?

Local councilor on Galway Bay FM this morning..
    Delegation from Oughterard met the new owner of the hotel and they confirmed that they were developing the site in the hope of winning the tender.
    The tender looks to accommodate two groups. One group of single people (normally men only)162 total and the second group is made up of couples and families 455 total. The new owner informed the delegation that the group of people he was developing the site for would not impact on the local school. He said this as the Oughterard delegation raised the issue that the school was at full capacity and could not absorb a large increase in pupils...

. He said this as the Oughterard delegation raised the issue that the school was at full capacity and could not absorb a large increase in pupils...

It's highly likely that any kids taken in to a new dpc would attend the nearest school ,full or not and whether the school has the resources or not to deal with the influx of foreign children

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    It's highly likely that any kids taken in to a new dpc would attend the nearest school ,full or not and whether the school has the resources or not to deal with the influx of foreign children

Possibly..

When the Direct Provision centre was proposed for Ballsbridge, and the locals there successfully litigated against it, why wasn't there the same public outcry and media frenzy against them that there is towards a small rural village in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

I don't see how its 3 times more
    DP allowance per person is almost 15 K
    That's 1250 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Persecution, as per my definition. Worth familiarising yourself with the current political climate in all.

And btw weren't you asked to stop posting here, or has that changed?

And you definitely know for certain each and every person that applies for asylum here is persecuted in some shape or form. Not just bs as there has been massive increases in asylum seekers applying here. Jaysus the world must be gone to ****e completely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭bloopy

Local councilor on Galway Bay FM this morning..
    Delegation from Oughterard met the new owner of the hotel and they confirmed that they were developing the site in the hope of winning the tender.
    The tender looks to accommodate two groups. One group of single people (normally men only)162 total and the second group is made up of couples and families 455 total. The new owner informed the delegation that the group of people he was developing the site for would not impact on the local school. He said this as the Oughterard delegation raised the issue that the school was at full capacity and could not absorb a large increase in pupils...

Is that 162 + 455 or is it 162 or 455?

bloopy wrote: »
    Is that 162 + 455 or is it 162 or 455?

Sorry, two groups.
    First group, 162 single people
    Second group, 455 people, made up of couples and families.
    So the tender is for the accommodation of 617 people in the Galway, Mayo, Roscommon region broken up into those two groups. Single people or Couples and families.
    There are currently 62 bedrooms in the Hotel in Oughterard. Max capacity is 5 to a room. So that could easily accommodate the first group, 162 single people. There is also 5 acres to the rear of the property and the new owner has indicated that he "could" add portable units on the site as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Apologies I was way off.
    I still think government need to come up with a better solution to DP though.

Agree re better solution.

250 is the suggested number, and it'll be men, women & children.

When the Direct Provision centre was proposed for Ballsbridge, and the locals there successfully litigated against it, why wasn't there the same public outcry and media frenzy against them that there is towards a small rural village in Galway?

Any evidence of this? Mentioned several times yet not a shred of proof of any protests or litigation. An urban myth?

And you definitely know for certain each and every person that applies for asylum here is persecuted in some shape or form. Not just bs as there has been massive increases in asylum seekers applying here. Jaysus the world must be gone to ****e completely

Claiming persecution is one of the criteria for an asylum claim. Assessors then work out if it's genuine as we've discussed through the post.

Agree re better solution.

250 is the suggested number, and it'll be men, women & children.

How do you know it'll be men, women and children?

• Advertisement

Claiming persecution is one of the criteria for an asylum claim. Assessors then work out if it's genuine as we've discussed through the post.

And 99% of them have been rejected as bogus ie not fleeing persecution.

They don't.

US2 wrote: »

Imagine the persecution of having to work for a living

Nothing mentioned about a male only DPC so a leap for the poster to state that hundreds of males will be heading to Oughterard. The Great Western is the male only DPC for Galway while The Eglington is a family centre. Male only DPCs get located in urban areas. Family ones are put in rural areas, relatively recently in Lisdoonvarna & Ballaghaderreen.

Any evidence of this? Mentioned several times yet not a shred of proof of any protests or litigation. An urban myth?

I have no evidence I'm afraid..
    Patricia Casey did mention it in an Independent.ie article at the weekend and Harry McGee mentioned that a proposal for DP centre in Nutley lane, Donnybrook was "quickly shot down" in last weeks Connaught Tribune. Again I've no evidence for either claims but would a journalist put it in an article if they weren't 100% sure it was true?

US2 wrote: »

99% of asylum seeker claims? You've seen the figures so no need to lie. Again. The moderators are doing their job.

I have no evidence I'm afraid..
    Patricia Casey did mention it in an Independent.ie article at the weekend and Harry McGee mentioned that a proposal for DP centre in Nutley lane, Donnybrook was "quickly shot down" in last weeks Connaught Tribune. Again I've no evidence for either claims but would a journalist put it in an article if they weren't 100% sure it was true?

There's absolutely no mention of it on legal websites which is just not possible if there was litigation. Also no mention of any protests in national or local media.
    Some posters have invented it and a few have swallowed it. It's not true.

Nothing mentioned about a male only DPC so a leap for the poster to state that hundreds of males will be heading to Oughterard. The Great Western is the male only DPC for Galway while The Eglington is a family centre. Male only DPCs get located in urban areas. Family ones are put in rural areas, relatively recently in Lisdoonvarna & Ballaghaderreen.

Ok but you stated that "250 is the suggested number, and it'll be men, women & children"
    Just wondering how you know this? Thanks

99% of asylum seeker claims? You've seen the figures so no need to lie. Again. The moderators are doing their job.

90% so they were off by 9%

Unlike some around here

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    90% so they were off by 9%

Unlike some around here

Nope. Try again and check the facts not randomly guess. The figures for unsuccessful asylum claims were posted here several times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement