Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Some illegals don't even bother with the asylum process.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/gardai-revenue-raid-100-illegal-businesses-1.1012285

Same category imo. Coming here under false or illegal pretences.

99% of Albanians claiming asylum are bogus. This 99% are always going to fail and shouldn't be here. We should not be accommodating them. It would be far cheaper to consider their applications by post from Albania or the nearest Irish embassy out there.

Then not relevant to this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    In your post at 15.31 today:

Someone guessing is not gone. Also the word gone wasn't used. You could change the sentence to "it is hardly surprising they would go underground before being forcibly removed by the Gardaí" and it would have the same amount of fact. Asylum seekers fall off the grid all the time. Some reappear again. Others stay hidden. And yes. Some leave. At least I would be willing to admit it is possible that all failed asylum seekers leave Ireland the same way its just as possible many remain. Without the facts no one can make such an assertion either way.

Two different statements. I did not say failed asylum seekers in this instance. I said asylum seekers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

I'm not your Mate.

Nah. The sick racist abuse that people from the National Party subjected Joe Loughnane and others to this weekend in Galway is not welcome in Ireland.

Maybe you support those who suggest he is a Sewer though. Most Irish people definitely wouldnt.

Calm down now darling. Joe Loughnane is toe rag. The eternal student going around looking for 'wraycissss'

The galway accent isn't fooling anyone..

US2 wrote: »
    What are Brazilians , Albanians, Georgians and Nigerians seeking refuge from? They're not refugees are they?

Definition of refugee:

A person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

alastair wrote: »
    Any asylum seeker is claiming persecution.

That's actually funny.

• Advertisement

You are not close. You are not in Oughterard. End of story as far as I'm concerned. You won't be directly affected. Your kids if you have any won't be forced to cope with much larger classrooms. You won't be forced to wait a day or two longer than normal to see the local GP.

You are not directly affected, nor is Alastair and Boggles. Its purely theoretical for you guys. It won't be an everyday reality. Get back to us when there is a DPC in your neighbourhood that you can walk to. Then we will listen.

One 35 mins walk away, the other 42 mins away. Facilities and local services are shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You are not close. You are not in Oughterard. End of story as far as I'm concerned. You won't be directly affected. Your kids if you have any won't be forced to cope with much larger classrooms. You won't be forced to wait a day or two longer than normal to see the local GP.

You are not directly affected, nor is Alastair and Boggles. Its purely theoretical for you guys. It won't be an everyday reality. Get back to us when there is a DPC in your neighbourhood that you can walk to. Then we will listen.

I can walk to asylum seekers’ accommodation in three minutes or so.
    But you confirm that, by your previous statement, Galway city is indeed nearby Oughterard? As to the supposed impact of the 250 - you’ve nothing to suggest either of those scenarios might arise.

That's actually funny.

Interesting that you find that funny.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

That might be your belief, but you’ve no insights as to their claims, so it’s a guess. They certainly don’t achieve economic migrant status on the back of deportation.

Let me see.
    They come from poor countries and their asylum claims were shown after consideration to have no merit.

Therefore, they are economic migrants. Even the most liberal of liberal lefties would have to accept that one.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Calm down now darling. Joe Loughnane is toe rag. The eternal student going around looking for 'wraycissss'

The galway accent isn't fooling anyone..

I know - pretty cunning to be born and raised in Galway and pretend to have a Galway accent.

• Advertisement

His "points" have been assailed, put into a box, sealed, shrink wrapped, bow tied and shipped to a warehouse called "Refuted Repeatedly" for archiving in the section called "Should Never See the Light of Day Again"

Then why are you so angry with him if you've so clearly out-argued him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Critiqued

Anyway hows things going with the centre any sign of it opening in the next year? Or will this be another scrap job?

I can walk to asylum seekers’ accommodation in three minutes or so.
    But you confirm that, by your previous statement, Galway city is indeed nearby Oughterard? As to the supposed impact of the 250 - you’ve nothing to suggest either of those scenarios might arise.

One family in a B&B I'm guessing?

I said Galway is 15 miles from Oughterard. Nowhere near it for the purposes of sharing a community and resources.

Let me see.
    They come from poor countries and their asylum claims were shown after consideration to have no merit.

Therefore, they are economic migrants. Even the most liberal of liberal lefties would have to accept that one.

Not at all. Rejected claims may indeed have merit, but fail to meet the strict criteria for asylum. Just as prosecutions may have merit, but fail to bring a conviction.

I know - pretty cunning to be born and raised in Galway and pretend to have a Galway accent.

Hes an angry little man in fairness whatever about where he comes from. What exactly is his problem?

Interesting that you find that funny.

Funny answer to the question I asked.

What are Brazilians, Georgians, Nigerians and Albanians seeking refuge from ?

Someone guessing is not gone. Also the word gone wasn't used. You could change the sentence to "it is hardly surprising they would go underground before being forcibly removed by the Gardaí" and it would have the same amount of fact. Asylum seekers fall off the grid all the time. Some reappear again. Others stay hidden. And yes. Some leave. At least I would be willing to admit it is possible that all failed asylum seekers leave Ireland the same way its just as possible many remain. Without the facts no one can make such an assertion either way.

You're denying that this is your post?

Or are you suggesting a possible hacking?

One 35 mins walk away, the other 42 mins away. Facilities and local services are shared.

So the asylum seekers from those centres are going to GPs and schools 35 and 42 mins away? Not some of them, all of them.

Gay persecution or some other waffle to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Then why are you so angry with him if you've so clearly out-argued him?

Imn not a bit angry. If you're inferring anger in that text, you may need a nap
    Its obvious what he's at. Ducking and diving and obfuscation. Pin him down to a point, and he strawmans, moves goalposts, and when that fails, throws out an insult.
    (You're abetting him BTW)

Anyway, back to you.
    Anyway, where have I said, that which you claim I said?

• Advertisement

One family in a B&B I'm guessing?

I said Galway is 15 miles from Oughterard. Nowhere near it for the purposes of sharing a community and resources.

Nope. Hotels with multiple asylum seekers accommodated.
    But thanks for avoiding acknowledging that by the measure of your own history of statements, Galway city is near Oughterard.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

Lads I have a question, haven't read through the entire thread as I only stumbled across this two days ago, so I hope it hasn't been asked already..
    I agree that anyone is entitled to come here to seek asylum and I welcome genuine cases. I have to ask though, at what number do we draw a line? I heard Sean Kyne TD say,on the radio, that there are between 100-150 people seeking asylum here every day. So at 150 per day that is 1050 per week or 54,600 per year. So to give a margin of error let's just say 50,000 people per year. Minister Stanton was on the radio this morning and said that there is a 36% increase in the number of people coming here seeking asylum this year. And yes I agree that these people need to be looked after. What do we do if there is a 36% increase next year? Or 60% or 80%?
    Direct Provision was meant to be a temporary solution but here we are 20 years later. I can't understand why the government can't spread them out, in smaller numbers, to more towns and villages. At least this way they can integrate properly. In the case of Oughterard, how are 250 people going to integrate properly into a community of 1300. They have to walk 500m along the hard shoulder before they get to a path that will take them another 1.5km to reach the village. And then what do they do? It's a quite enough town.
    I guess I'm wondering what number of asylum seekers we're going to have to take into the country to appease the people calling anyone a racist for simply questioning the logic behind this. Where does it all end?
    And I'm not trying to stir anything, I just genuinely don't get it...

One more time for luck. Persecution.

Nope. Hotels with multiple asylum seekers accommodated.
    But thanks for avoiding acknowledging that by the measure of your own history of statements, Galway city is near Oughterard.

Galway is near Sligo too, and Clare. In this context, near can only be described as in the community, sharing schools, doctors ect.

matt360 wrote: »
    Lads I have a question, haven't read through the entire thread as I only stumbled across this two days ago, so I hope it hasn't been asked already..
    I agree that anyone is entitled to come here to seek asylum and I welcome genuine cases. I have to ask though, at what number do we draw a line? I heard Sean Kyne TD say,on the radio, that there are between 100-150 people seeking asylum here every day. So at 150 per day that is 1050 per week or 54,600 per year. So to give a margin of error let's just say 50,000 people per year. Minister Stanton was on the radio this morning and said that there is a 36% increase in the number of people coming here seeking asylum this year. And yes I agree that these people need to be looked after. What do we do if there is a 36% increase next year? Or 60% or 80%?
    Direct Provision was meant to be a temporary solution but here we are 20 years later. I can't understand why the government can't spread them out, in smaller numbers, to more towns and villages. At least this way they can integrate properly. In the case of Oughterard, how are 250 people going to integrate properly into a community of 1300. They have to walk 500m along the hard shoulder before they get to a path that will take them another 1.5km to reach the village. And then what do they do? It's a quite enough town.
    I guess I'm wondering what number of asylum seekers we're going to have to take into the country to appease the people calling anyone a racist for simply questioning the logic behind this. Where does it all end?
    And I'm not trying to stir anything, I just genuinely don't get it...

Those figures are miles off - as in ten times the actual figures.

Rightly or wrongly, direct provision centres aren’t intended as integration centres - a majority won’t be remaining here, and the goal for asylum claim assessment and decision, appeals included, is within two years, so it’s intended to be a short-term measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,009 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Critiqued wrote: »
    Hes an angry little man in fairness whatever about where he comes from. What exactly is his problem?

Its interesting isnt it. People on here deflecting from The National Party racist scum saying Joe Loughnane is from a Sewer.

Nah. The National Party are fascist racist scum and not welcome in Ireland.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

One more time for luck. Persecution.

Aye, persecuted by crap welfare and no government provided gaff

Persecution, as per my definition. Worth familiarising yourself with the current political climate in all.

And btw weren't you asked to stop posting here, or has that changed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Its interesting isnt it. People on here deflecting from The National Party racist scum saying Joe Loughnane is from a Sewer.

Nah. The National Party are fascist racist scum and not welcome in Ireland.

Joey you're a small little man with a chip on his shoulder. You dont speak for the Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

Those figures are miles off - as in ten times the actual figures.

He possibly misspoke of I possibly misheard. I'll have to try and find the podcast. If I did I apologise, I'm not trying to stir the pot.
    So forgetting my, maybe mistaken, post I'd still like to know at what number do we say "ok maybe we can't actually cope with this number?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement