Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Critiqued wrote: »
    Bullocks wrote: »
    Now that's an isolated spot!

It certainly is. It's a beautiful little town.
    I worked on one of the houses built on the marina/dock a few years ago. Lovely place but probably less services than Oughterard. Would you be as close to Longford town as Strokestown? If I can remember it correctly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Critiqued

I worked on one of the houses built on the marina/dock a few years ago. Lovely place but probably less services than Oughterard. Would you be as close to Longford town as Strokestown? If I can remember it correctly

It's about 12k to Longford town.

It's about 12k to Longford town.
    What is big enough there to hold 250 people? Is it an estate or hotel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Oh ah oughterard say oh ah oughterard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

matt360 wrote: »
    Sean Lyons confirmed it this morning in Galway Bay FM

I heard from a reliable source that it was a non runner on Sunday. It was never going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,744 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I heard from a reliable source that it was a non runner on Sunday. It was never going to happen.

It was non runner when they started blocking entrances with rumble and certain díckheads starting harassing a young family in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Termonbarry, Co.Roscommon is next for plantation.

Rooskey and now Termonbarry. Why are they picking the nice Shannon cruise towns?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

Boggles wrote: »
    It was non runner when they started blocking entrances with rumble and certain díckheads starting harassing a young family in the area.

No one was harassed

What is big enough there to hold 250 people? Is it an estate or hotel?

Not sure if it's for 250. This was being spoke about while the Oughterard one was going ahead so it's not a consequence of Oughterard being a non runner.

No one was harassed

The only bully was the hotel owner who threatened to have his "ex irish ranger security" set on people if he lost out financially.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

The only bully was the hotel owner who threatened to have his "ex irish ranger security" set on people if he lost out financially.

LOL maybe he'd have had better luck if he had offered ex irish ranger security to the people in the locality after as the garda resources for the area got moved further and further away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Good on the people of oughterard not put up with the liberal sh*te. Stick them in Dublin so we can watch another balbriggan happen.

No one was harassed

Not according to one local family there, backed up by a user on here that is from the town.

But of course I will take a look at your work that disproves it?

When you are ready.

No one was harassed

Not according to one local family there, backed up by a user on here that is from the town.

When you are ready.
    I'll back matt up and say she wasn't harassed either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The current system is inefficient, costly and disadvantages genuine asylum seekers. It encourages people to spend thousands to travel from places like Albania with almost no hope of success and with significant cost to themselves and us.

The only ones benefitting are politicians who want to be good Europeans and have one eye on the next job in Brussels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Congrats to the people of Oughterard for not bowing down when the race card was used to frighten people of the town.

When you are ready.

Can we have a look at the work that proves it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not going ahead in Oughterard now anyway

Well done to the people of Oughterard!! People power does work.

I'll back matt up and say she wasn't harassed either.

Of course.

Now the evidence that disproves it, when you are ready?

When you are ready.

You’ll have a source? Rather than hearsay??

• Advertisement

Can we have a look at the work that proves it?

I know you are "new".

Read the thread lad, it's all there.

It's not my job to summarize it for you.

I know you are "new".

Read the thread lad, it's all there.

It's not my job to summarize it for you.

So no proof then. Great, thanks.

You’ll have a source? Rather than hearsay??

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/man-hospitalised-following-incident-at-oughterard-protest-over-direct-provision-centres-951342.html
    Ms Michelle Doherty, who lives in the house at Rushveela, says she has been terrified by the protest and has had to call the Garda several times.

“People are demonstrating outside here as they believe hotel contractors might access the hotel from my garden,” she said.

“The van involved in the incident was arriving was here to upgrade my alarm as I am so afraid.”

“I have had people outside shining torches in my window at 4am and 5am,”

Listen lads I don't mind providing links to back up claims, but they have been provided all ready and it has discussed on thread.

People wondering in especially "new" members and demanding them is tiresome and bad manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Congratulations and well done to the oughterard people. Just heard your good news on radio.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/man-hospitalised-following-incident-at-oughterard-protest-over-direct-provision-centres-951342.html

Listen lads I don't mind providing links to back up claims, but they have been provided all ready and it has discussed on thread.

People wondering in especially "new" members and demanding them is tiresome and bad manners.

That is not harassment. She is not the target of the protests.

You really are grasping at straws now.

You lost the argument, the DPC is not going ahead. A great day for the people of Oughterard and rural Ireland in general.

Oughterard 1 - Government and Liberal Lefties 0

There is nothing there to say the protesters are harassing her. She’s nothing to be afraid of. She even said herself that she’s passed the protest numerous times to bring her daughter to school. If anyone had harassed her on those occasions I’m sure it would have been mentioned.

She sounds like she’d be afraid of her own shadow. Her house is probably one of the safest in Ireland with all those people outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You lost the argument, the DPC is not going ahead. A great day for the people of Oughterard and rural Ireland in general.

This DPC will now just get relocated to some other rural village where the local cllrs and TDs are more like Varadkar rather than Grealish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Well done to the people of Oughterard!! People power does work.

Interesting precedence they are setting especially with the run up to an election and a FG party in decline in its normal rural strongholds. Two key pieces of information came out of Oughterard, 1. they have no intention of consultation with the local community when implementing direct provision centers and 2. the political winds are changing and with enough resistance they can be pushed back.

If we remember the sustained campaign which happened just over 2 years ago in Ballaghaderreen which resulted in the whole town being shamed into submission.

I think now is the time for the government to put proper policy in place, take control of the DP back from the landlords looking to make a quick buck off the state and remove the growing opposition.

If i was an individual against these centers just propping up, i would be spurred even more now into more action.

Fann Linn wrote: »

This DPC will now just get relocated to some other rural village where the local cllrs and TDs are more like Varadkar rather than Grealish.
    I'd say while Varadkar might not be as blunt as Grealish, there would still be some reason why a dp centre wouldn't work in his constituency.
    I'd say they will be looking for areas with the least representation to site the next one aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

backed up by a user on here

It's safe to a bit of spoofing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement