Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It also counts against the Patriots cap whether they pay him or not. 4.5m in 2019 and 4.5m in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Christy42 wrote: »
    Did he know about the allegation before it?

I mean presumably he knew of the incident but if is to be assumed innocent then how he could have known the allegation was coming?

Anyway it didn't affect his ability to play. He was left off the exemption list and played with that cloud over him. But he still played and I see no reason he would not have been available if the Pats had not cut him.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. The Patriots still played him after hearing about the sexual assault claim, so it weakens their argument of him not informing them about that allegation being the cause of his release. The new one hasn't yet impacted his ability to play and may never, as some here pointing that Hill got away with his situation.

Best case for them is that someone picks him up, as the talk prior to the Patriots signing was that AB would go after the Raiders with a grievance and he probably now has a much stronger case against the Patriots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

He wasn’t prevented from playing by the league so I’m not sure how that can be used as an argument for not paying/taking the cap hit.

Looks like they just came to the realisation that keeping him around, even for a short time until a decision on whether he could play or not and possibly save them money, would do more damage to their reputation than it was worth and it was better to cut him loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

AB not going out without a parting shot

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1175764859176312838

• Registered Users Posts: 37,807 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I mean presumably he knew of the incident but if is to be assumed innocent then how he could have known the allegation was coming?

Anyway it didn't affect his ability to play. He was left off the exemption list and played with that cloud over him. But he still played and I see no reason he would not have been available if the Pats had not cut him.
    He was well aware of the allegations and his legal team has been in settlement talks for months. He didn't reveal this to the Patriots, or the league as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement

AB not going out without a parting shot

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1175764859176312838
    He really is off his rocker comparing Kraft being in a dodgy massage parlor with the accusations against him. Using the racist card makes it worse.

I'm not sure if he is just a stupid man or if he really is suffering from some mental illness.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not sure if he is just a stupid man or if he really is suffering from some mental illness.

Probably a bit of both.

He seems to be taking shots at a load of people on his Twitter - Kraft, Ben Rothelsiberger, Shannon Sharpe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's everyone's fault except Antonio's.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He was well aware of the allegations and his legal team has been in settlement talks for months. He didn't reveal this to the Patriots, or the league as far as I'm aware.
    Yeah it was because the settlement talks broke down that they came to light. And the patriots said they wouldn't have signed him if they'd known about the allegations. I mean those text messages where another level of stupid on his part. I mean he'd landed with the patriots, he'd have had a good chance of getting to a super bowl and all he had to do was keep the head down and tip away and just do what he's actually good at. But given what he's done this off season I'm not surprised he couldn't do what he needed to do.

• Advertisement

A signing bonus is generally treated very differently than other guarantees, requiring a narrow scope of issues to void it whereas other clauses can be inserted to void other guaranteed money. This seems far from as cut and dry as you're making out.

Over the cap wrote a piece about it.

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1175390255081558017

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah it was because the settlement talks broke down that they came to light. And the patriots said they wouldn't have signed him if they'd known about the allegations. I mean those text messages where another level of stupid on his part. I mean he'd landed with the patriots, he'd have had a good chance of getting to a super bowl and all he had to do was keep the head down and tip away and just do what he's actually good at. But given what he's done this off season I'm not surprised he couldn't do what he needed to do.

Hard to get on their moral high horse or use that argument legally that they wouldn't have signed him if they knew when they neither cut him when the allegations came out nor even made him inactive while they 'investigated', they pushed ahead and played him in a game that was obviously going to be a blowout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Hard to get on their moral high horse or use that argument legally that they wouldn't have signed him if they knew when they neither cut him when the allegations came out nor even made him inactive while they 'investigated', they pushed ahead and played him in a game that was obviously going to be a blowout.

Who exactly is getting on their moral high horse? He was cut because of the text messages, not because of the lawsuit. The lawsuit was filed civilly, not criminally. To cut/suspend anyone for a civil case would set a dangerous precedent.

Who exactly is getting on their moral high horse? He was cut because of the text messages, not because of the lawsuit. The lawsuit was filed civilly, not criminally. To cut/suspend anyone for a civil case would set a dangerous precedent.

The key is he didn't tell them about the civil case. If he had done that then everything including the text messages would not matter. The fact he didn't tell them about it voids his contract as far as I'm aware.

I quoted a poster that claimed the Patriots are now saying that they wouldn't have signed him if they'd known about the civil case, which I hadn't heard and if true stinks of trying to reclaim moral high ground, which goes completely against their actions of playing him last week after the facts of the lawsuit emerged.

I agree with you that he was cut because of the text messages and the fact that he was going to be a continued distraction, neither of which are valid to try to hold a player's signing bonus.
    The key is he didn't tell them about the civil case. If he had done that then everything including the text messages would not matter. The fact he didn't tell them about it voids his contract as far as I'm aware.

Again, they played him last week which weakens their hand of trying to point to the civil case being the issue. It also is much more difficult to void a signing bonus, he signed and played for the team and didn't breach the normal points that would lead to signing bonus becoming void.

Looks like there are no team willing to pay the price to trade for Ramsey so he'll be staying with the Jags for a while.

Reported price is 2 firsts, would anyone want their team to pay that for him? 49ers still have too many holes and no 2nd round pick for 2020 so I don't think I'd be in on it. Would think a contender like the Eagles that has depth in a lot of positions or a team with extra 1st pick like the Raiders should be willing to pay that price.

Foxtrol wrote:
    Again, they played him last week which weakens their hand of trying to point to the civil case being the issue. It also is much more difficult to void a signing bonus, he signed and played for the team and didn't breach the normal points that would lead to signing bonus becoming void.
    I'd imagine they are covered by giving themselves time to investigate. They could have suspended him with pay but I've never come across that happening.

I'd imagine they are covered by giving themselves time to investigate. They could have suspended him with pay but I've never come across that happening.

They could have just made him inactive for the game and give no reason. Players are inactive every week, you don't have to suspend them with pay.

It looks like they were planning on plowing through the public/media noise until the texts came out this week and they realised AB was going to continue to act like an idiot and be a distraction. Even if there is a clause in the contract, they've made it tougher on themselves to say 'the civil suit was the cause' when there is no sign of that being an issue until this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I saw on the fox NFL pre game show that the NFL is investigating text messages sent to the mother of the first accuser of Antionio brown. They don't say if it's from him but why would they be investigating some randommer sending text message to someone's mother ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Who exactly is getting on their moral high horse?
    Don’t bother. Really, don’t bother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Next stop XFL?

He hate me 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

What the best/cheapest sites to buy proper (not Chinese knock offs/poor quality) hoodies, hats etc (not necessarily shirts) for delivery to Ireland?

TRS30 wrote: »
    What the best/cheapest sites to buy proper (not Chinese knock offs/poor quality) hoodies, hats etc (not necessarily shirts) for delivery to Ireland?

Fanatics is a good site. There is a much better range on their US site but you’ll get charged 23% duty as well as postage. They have an international site that you won’t get stung with duty but the range isn’t as good. But check that out first as they might have what you’re looking for.

Fanatics is a good site. There is a much better range on their US site but you’ll get charged 23% duty as well as postage. They have an international site that you won’t get stung with duty but the range isn’t as good. But check that out first as they might have what you’re looking for.

Thanks. do you find this cheaper then the NFL Europe site?

TRS30 wrote: »
    Thanks. do you find this cheaper then the NFL Europe site?

Never bought from the NFL site so can’t say.

Yea not a great range of Eagles stuff however picked up a Phillies t-shirt for €12 so happy days. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

On that subject, does anybody know which of the "alternative" suppliers currently offer the best quality NFL gear? Used to know a couple but it's been a few years since I used them and they could be terrible now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    On that subject, does anybody know which of the "alternative" suppliers currently offer the best quality NFL gear? Used to know a couple but it's been a few years since I used them and they could be terrible now

I bought a Ravens jersey off DHGate. Based on reddit it seems the general consensus is to pick a seller with lots of orders and a high rating. You can usually find images in the reviews from other buyers if you want to check the quality.

My jersey is pretty good, I have an official reebok jersey which seems higher quality materials used and NFL logo looks a little off from some angles but you'd be hard pressed to notice it. Given the price difference its a no brainer to me. I can dig out the seller I used if you like but I know it took some digging to find a guy who had Ravens gear. Loads of sellers of the popular teams.

I bought a Ravens jersey off DHGate. Based on reddit it seems the general consensus is to pick a seller with lots of orders and a high rating. You can usually find images in the reviews from other buyers if you want to check the quality.

My jersey is pretty good, I have an official reebok jersey which seems higher quality materials used and NFL logo looks a little off from some angles but you'd be hard pressed to notice it. Given the price difference its a no brainer to me. I can dig out the seller I used if you like but I know it took some digging to find a guy who had Ravens gear. Loads of sellers of the popular teams.

Just ordered a hoodie off them. Was very cheap $30 so no big loss even if quality is crap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement