Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryan Tubridy comments about Greta Thunberg

• 25-09-2019 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

"she needs to be brought home and watch a movie. Just go for a walk with your da or your ma"

An out of touch overpaid twat or he has a point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

His talking points are ripped straight from the alt-right by attacking her age and illness as well as calling her vulnerable and implying she doesnt know what she is doing and being used by others.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

He's scared at the chance of being told he can't go to do his show from a hotel in New York or wherever for environmental reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

He's prejudiced because of her age..he doesnt realise that the information shes saying is based on what the scientists have told her. Shes regularly consulting with ipcc scientists before speaches.

Climate activists choose a child, it had to be a child because their reputation would be inevitably attacked by climate deniers with vested interests.

It seems even a child is taken apart by critics..very shameful considering our planets state.

dvdman1 wrote: »
    "she needs to be brought home and watch a movie. Just go for a walk with your da or your ma"

He’s spot on. I heard the mother of an aspergers child say similar on the radio yesterday. In her opinion the child was showing signs of distress and needed quiet time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

He’s spot on. I heard the mother of an aspergers child say similar on the radio yesterday. In her opinion the child was showing signs of distress and needed quiet time.

Or here's a mad thought. She's distressed at the politicians she's addressing doing nothing to tackle the issue she talks about. Tubridy should be thinking of the world his 16 year old could be living in at his age if things don't change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

Does she ever laugh or smile? Tubs is a prîćk anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

VinLieger wrote: »
    His talking points are ripped straight from the alt-right by attacking her age and illness as well as calling her vulnerable and implying she doesnt know what she is doing and being used by others.

I didn't hear what he said except what has been posted, but I don't think it's alt- right to suggest that a child and someone with autism might be vulnerable
    I'm not saying she doesn't believe in what she is saying. She does and she is a great spokesperson, but it is naive to think that she got to the UN all by herself and therr aren't people behind her with an agenda - honourable and all as it may be.
    They're happy to push her out into the limelight without too much thought for the effect that might have on her.

mordeith wrote: »
    Or here's a mad thought. She's distressed at the politicians she's addressing doing nothing to tackle the issue she talks about. Tubridy should be thinking of the world his 16 year old could be living in at his age if things don't change.

She’s a vulnerable child. She is being abused by her parents and the worldwide community. Her distress is awful to watch. She is only a child. Give her back her childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Firstly anyone who has listened to Tubridy over the years will know that he is more likely to skew left/liberal in his editorializing.

He has always been a cheerleader for the Obama's and thus anti Trump/GOP.

So to hear him say what he said was actually quite refreshing.

Anyone who does not see that is girl is a pawn for vested interests is blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

She’s a vulnerable child. She is being abused by her parents and the worldwide community. Her distress is awful to watch. She is only a child. Give her back her childhood.

Pathetic attempts to ignore the message shes delivering, shes asking for her childhood back by stopping the damage being done to the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Who cares what Ryan Tubridy has to say. Just one person's opinion. I don't agree with him but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Looks like Greta won’t be getting an invite to the late late toy show..

I wish people would stand up and admit that we are all the ones doing the damage to the planet.

We like our cheap flights, our new cars, our out of season fruits all year round, our multiple devices charged and connected 24*7*365.

That all takes it toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

People are taking what they want from this and we all see different things.
    No fan of Tubridy but he saw her through the eyes of a dad and she was upset and needed comfort.
    A 16 year old girl should not have to cross the world to tell us we need to change NOW
    This girl has a form of autism it has nothing to do with her campaining but it must be taken into consideration when dealing with her

Anyone who does not see that is girl is a pawn for vested interests is blind.

These vested interests being . . .?

I wish people would stand up and admit that we are all the ones doing the damage to the planet.

We like our cheap flights, our new cars, our out of season fruits all year round, our multiple devices charged and connected 24*7*365.

That all takes it toll.

You're spot on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think Tubs is a total eejit and never watch or listen to him but i do agree with him on this.
    What does it say about our World leaders and our scientists when the world spokesperson for climate change is a child.

What are we like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Looks like Greta won’t be getting an invite to the late late toy show..

Of course she would be welcome on the show.

Do you think the greedy RTE F**kers would turn her away if she even suggested a remote interest in late late, even the toy show,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

She's just a child been used and feed lines , she is a political pawn, its exploitation ,

I believe she also suffers from Asperger syndrome , its unfair to trust her into such a spotlight where she will be ridiculed and picked apart,

I agree with the cause but its a cheap move from the powers on her side,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think Tubs is a total eejit and never watch or listen to him but i do agree with him on this.
    What does it say about our World leaders and our scientists when the world spokesperson for climate change is a child.

What are we like?

She is not the "world spokesperson" but perhaps if world leaders and a large chunk of the world population weren't so blithe about the issue and stopped ignoring all the scientists we wouldn't be in this position. She is saying nothing that has not been said hundreds of time before, sometimes a messenger sticks more than the message.

I find it utterly bizarre that people think there is some kind of shadow conspiracy involving all the world's climate scientists yet ignore the incredibly overt lobbying and mountainous spending of the fossil fuel industry that is used to put forth their side.

• Advertisement

That all takes it toll.

You do realise we are part of the planet we are not separate , we are the planet ,

The bio sphere created us so there for we are the bio sphere ,

Humans think we are something higher than we are,

Yes we are changing the planet but the planet has always changed and always will , The planet will be here long after we are gone,

I wonder if back in the ice age's where the groups complaining about the rising heat and the melting ice , Before that aas there picket of people saying save the T-rex ,

Before that aas there picket of people saying save the T-rex ,

I think you might be a few million years out there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Does boards have a team of secret psychologists / psychiatrists who are able to diagnose aspergers from the comfort of their own home or something? If so, there are schools and parents up and down the country crying for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

VinLieger wrote: »
    Pathetic attempts to ignore the message shes delivering, shes asking for her childhood back by stopping the damage being done to the planet.

For god sake, climate change has had zero impact upon her childhood. Same as it hasn't on anyone in Ireland. It's so painfully disingenuous.

I'm fully behind action on climate change. But this girl's message feels off base to me.

I think you might be a few million years out there
    it was a joke

You do realise we are part of the planet we are not separate , we are the planet ,

The bio sphere created us so there for we are the bio sphere ,

Humans think we are something higher than we are,

Yes we are changing the planet but the planet has always changed and always will , The planet will be here long after we are gone,

I wonder if back in the ice age's where the groups complaining about the rising heat and the melting ice , Before that aas there picket of people saying save the T-rex ,

I totally agree.
    The planet has been warming and cooling for billions of years.

And species have evolved.

And humans in the long run will evolve.

I totally believe in climate change, but I don't think it can be stopped, not should it be stopped.

If we want to stop it then we give up everything we have in modern western society, and I don't think anyone is willing to do that.

I certainly am not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 socruel

grassroot1 wrote: »
    People are taking what they want from this and we all see different things.
    No fan of Tubridy but he saw her through the eyes of a dad and she was upset and needed comfort.
    A 16 year old girl should not have to cross the world to tell us we need to change NOW
    This girl has a form of autism it has nothing to do with her campaining but it must be taken into consideration when dealing with her

Agreed the OP is a part of a quote taken out of context. Cant stand Trubridy but the reaction to what appear to be genuine concern on his part is ludicrous.

These vested interests being . . .?

People who will make a lot of money from public investment in green energy.

It's in their interest to overplay the planet is fcuked card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Out of touch. She wouldn't be doing any of this without the active support of her ma and her da.

I expect it is part contrived, and that's what annoys some of us. If the debate is between two shades of vacuous, then its hard to see it as progress.

But, yes, this particular circus is because more fundamental issues are not being progressed. For instance, I haven't seen anyone proporting to have any real role in Irish Agriculture saying "Brexit is a perfect opportunity for us to get out of beef production, and into something with more of a long-term future".

You'll see that kind of thing on the Interweb, but not in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Ah yes, but WHAT have we got in modern western society?? That's the question. Well you could say plenty of food and shelter & health care & security etc. etc. But these seemingly basic things could easily exist without polluting the f##k outta the planet.
    For example, French antropologists did a study on a few 'civilization isolated" pigmy tribes in the Amazon in the late 80's.
    Now by 'modern western standards' these tribes hadn't a pot to piss in. No car, just a hut, no tv, no holiday to NY once a year, no decent salary, actually no money atall atall!
    But they found that they got on well enough and we're reasonably happy.
    The sientists compared all social and work parameters to an average middle class French family and found the tribes had less work time more pleasure time and family time and were very much less stressed!

Advertisement