Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Calltocall wrote: »
    I’ve been reading the history to this story and I have to say I’m absolutely shocked that this campaign of intimidation has been going on for so long without even one arrest, I mean what the hell is going on that the cops haven’t got involved or come down on these guys before it got to this, amazing that there are still pockets in Ireland that are basically run by criminals/subversives

The other thing I find baffling is that Quinn has consistently come out and said nothing to do with me and seems genuine however it all seems very very personal, am I missing something here?

Absolute dirt, hope the guards have the courage to pursue this to conviction, that kind of thing belongs to a dark chapter in the history of our country and has no place in modern Ireland.

Friends in high places.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Danzy wrote: »
    Friends in high places.

More likely friends in low places, hidden and protected by the local community.

Why are the guards appealing for information and coming up blank?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Calltocall wrote: »
    I’ve been reading the history to this story and I have to say I’m absolutely shocked that this campaign of intimidation has been going on for so long without even one arrest, I mean what the hell is going on that the cops haven’t got involved or come down on these guys before it got to this, amazing that there are still pockets in Ireland that are basically run by criminals/subversives

The other thing I find baffling is that Quinn has consistently come out and said nothing to do with me and seems genuine however it all seems very very personal, am I missing something here?

Absolute dirt, hope the guards have the courage to pursue this to conviction, that kind of thing belongs to a dark chapter in the history of our country and has no place in modern Ireland.

I'd imagine that Quinn and his businesses created an economic environment that allowed some underhand dealings to exist in the shadow of legitimate activity. Once there was a new sheriff in town after Quinn lost his companies, a lot of the shadow in which these illegal activities operated disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

It's a disturbing loyalty. Likely Quinn has nothing to do with it, however he and his supporters would have been very vocal on the narrative that it was everyone's fault but his. Even when he was trying to leave the tax payer with his bill they'd a rally for him and top GAA men were at it saying they were a good family. Same way families support particular parties regardless of their record and there's an element of tipping the cap to your betters too. It's obscene.

Yes and all that nonsense with them playing the song "The Mighty Quinn" at their rallies. I hope the writers of that song sue them, would be hilarious. Some of these morons probably think the song was written in honour of their hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Shoe horning the IRA in to this is purely to fit your agenda or may be to distract people.

Have you taken it up with the Journal?

https://www.thejournal.ie/arson-investigation-ira-quinn-4362333-Dec2018/

"Gardaí have drawn up a list of persons of interest in the arson cases. Two men known to each other are part of the list. The men, who are believed to be members of an IRA splinter group, have been on the gardaí’s radar for a number of years. They are also suspected of being involved in a number of crimes across the border region in the last five years."

Or the Irish News?

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/09/19/news/dissident-republicans-carried-out-brutal-abduction-of-quinn-industrial-holdings-executive-1716238/

"DISSIDENT republicans involved in a recent border bombing were responsible for the violent kidnapping of a prominent businessman in Co Fermanagh."

And the Independent?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/sean-quinn-in-terrifying-good-friday-death-threat-30409388.html

"A convicted criminal is one of the suspects who is currently under investigation for orchestrating a campaign of intimidation against Quinn companies.

He has links to both dissident republicans and the IRA and has returned to the border counties after his recent release from prison."

The Irish Times have done everything but say it:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/a-pig-s-head-burnt-out-vehicles-and-punishment-beating-the-persecution-of-quinn-executives-1.4022850

"Security sources have described the attack on businessman Kevin Lunney as a throwback to the era of Provisional IRA punishment beatings. They added that even in the context of those paramilitary attacks the beating and torture of Mr Lunney was on the upper end of the scale."

The Irish republican ideology has a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    More likely friends in low places, hidden and protected by the local community.

Why are the guards appealing for information and coming up blank?

So these friends in low places are able to stop information being passed on, possible and also have the Gardaí and State authorities turn a blind eye to a 5 yr campaign of intimidation against a business, yeah right.

It's been 5 years of inaction and ignoring and that is from the top.

So these friends in low places are able to stop information being passed on, possible and also have the Gardaí and State authorities turn a blind eye to a 5 yr campaign of intimidation against a business, yeah right.

It's been 5 years of inaction and ignoring and that is from the top.

A seconds Google search shows that a man is facing charges for a previous attack on Mr Lunney. Guess that doesn't suit your conspiracy theory. The authorities have not been turning a blind eye. Granted, they need to up their game and put some of these people away for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

These people have rescued the failing Quinn businesses and are sustaining and creating employment in the area. They could have shut it all down and sold off the assets. They're probably sorry they didn't now.

Shocking stuff. Speedy recovery to Kevin Lunney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Panrich wrote: »
    I'd imagine that Quinn and his businesses created an economic environment that allowed some underhand dealings to exist in the shadow of legitimate activity. Once there was a new sheriff in town after Quinn lost his companies, a lot of the shadow in which these illegal activities operated disappeared.

Version I've heard floating about here is that Lunney isn't exactly sparkly clean himself, and now that he's got where he is, he's not playing ball anymore.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Shoe horning the IRA in to this is purely to fit your agenda or may be to distract people.

I also don't believe the IRA were involved.

• Advertisement

Version I've heard floating about here is that Lunney isn't exactly sparkly clean himself, and now that he's got where he is, he's not playing ball anymore.

That's business. You don't get that far up the corporate ladder without breaking a few eggs to make that big omelette. Having to revert to violence shows business ineptitude and desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's business. You don't get that far up the corporate ladder without breaking a few eggs to make that big omelette. Having to revert to violence shows business ineptitude and desperation.

More along the lines of him being not adverse to using their services previously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

We know who is behind all this even if they are trying to say it’s nothing to do with them, who else has anything to gain from it.
    The Garda and psni should flood the area on both sides of the border and get these guys, otherwise we have conceded control to the I R A.
    Who was the poor guy that was beaten to death in a barn because he stood up to the local Provo head? Was anyone ever charged?

We have conceded control to the IRA
    Well I know little or nothing about ira -dup/inla/- but that’s there territory same as if anyone vents into my area , or anyone vents into the different parts of limerick or Dublin !
    It’s all the same thing , I’d imagine looking at the news there’s a big protestant / catholic element to this !

Didn’t think Quinn would have had Protestants in the company maybe he was playing all sides and lost !

And I’m not biast or any off the above ,I don’t give a monkeys if ur black white pink catholic/ protestant

More along the lines of him being not adverse to using their services previously.

? This is a "there is no reason I can't give you why you can not award the try" moment. Can you elaborate in simple English for my simple brain please?

Well obviously people are not told the whole truth- Sean Quinn was in there working and he was let go or left so there must have been friction .
    Now u don’t bring back the previous owner- bar they had some arrangement in place !
    Like all stories u need to hear both sides!
    But if u mix catholic and Protestants -ex ira and uvf/uda u can be sure it’s not going to be a nice stew .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sorry I'm with you on this.

I haven't a clue who is doing what in these attacks. Everyone is beating around the bush and hinting at this and that, but can anyone explain exactly what is happening and why?

OK, I'm going to guess these attacks are all the work of ex-IRA men. That's probably safe to say, no?

But what have they against the directors of the company? This is where I get lost.

Some are hinting that the Quinn family are behind the attacks, so are they meant to be hiring thugs to dish out beatings of the company just because old Sean ran up massive debts and had the company taken off him, and he's huffing?

If this isn't true, and the Quinn's have condemned the attacks, then why are they happening? What is the talk of UVF/UDA? How are they involved?

If anyone doesn't want to post public;y, I'd love a PM!

Me too. I do not know what is going on.
    Is someone in the know able to spell it out?
    Like if you sat down with Charlie Flanagan after a few pints and he said "Let me tell you what is going on here, that is not being reported..."

PM welcome if it can't be said in forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You’re accusing him of using the ra any proof?
    But you accept they were involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Panrich wrote: »

1/10 for effort.

Well obviously people are not told the whole truth- Sean Quinn was in there working and he was let go or left so there must have been friction .
    Now u don’t bring back the previous owner- bar they had some arrangement in place !
    Like all stories u need to hear both sides!
    But if u mix catholic and Protestants -ex ira and uvf/uda u can be sure it’s not going to be a nice stew .

If you mix up stories and imaginations and then mix up a tube of glue and your asthma inhaler before going on line, it's a quare stew alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Did a bit of work up in that area in the Celtic Tiger years. The Quinn empire was very notable - lots of fingers in different pies etc. What was also notable among some of the local people I talked to then was that the family were both revered and feared. Not feared in a physical sense but in that you could just as easily be fired as hired. One story about a lorry driver who overdid his lunch break and the lorry was spotted by the boss passing by who summarily fired him on the spot. Lot of power invested in a small group of people then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Did a bit of work up in that area in the Celtic Tiger years. The Quinn empire was very notable - lots of fingers in different pies etc. What was also notable among some of the local people I talked to then was that the family were both revered and feared. Not feared in a physical sense but in that you could just as easily be fired as hired. One story about a lorry driver who overdid his lunch break and the lorry was spotted by the boss passing by who summarily fired him on the spot. Lot of power invested in a small group of people then.

You don't become a billionaire by being a walkover or doing what unions want you to do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

One of the reasons they had to finally get rid of Quinn, after trying to get him to help the company, was that during the boom years he set up an investment company where people in the area could put money in and he'd guarantee a return. He was putting this money into shares in Anglo so by 2010 or so they were worthless. Quinn was taking money out of the company, which was in a very bad state, to pay these people back.

What people are forgetting is how bad the Quinn group was performing and came close to folding completely. Someone on twitter put it best that the people who took over after Quinn left should be getting medals, not bullets.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    1/10 for effort.

He seems awful close to that foster one!

mgn wrote: »
    You don't become a billionaire by being a walkover or doing what unions want you to do.

I doubt if he was ever a billionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Indo reporting that there has been over 70 incidents in the last two years and that a Quinn executive rang the Gardai last year to report a death threat he received to and basically got fobbed off. Definite line of enquiry focussing on dissident republicans with connections to the gang being investigated for the spate of ATM robberies up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I may have missed, but have Sinn Fein been very quiet on this as regards comment and/or utter condemnation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Breege_M

walshb wrote: »
    I may have missed, but have Sinn Fein been very quiet on this as regards comment and/or utter condemnation?

So too have Brian D’Arcy, Colm O’Rourke and Mickey Harte.

Alan Dukes saying he and Mike Aynsley received threatening communications when IBRC took over assets of Quinn.

Breege_M wrote: »
    So too have Brian D’Arcy, Colm O’Rourke and Mickey Harte.

Sinn Fein are a big political presence in the border areas. Doesn't seem unreasonable for them to be asked to comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Alan Dukes saying he and Mike Aynsley received threatening communications when IBRC took over assets of Quinn.

Their was plenty of fur flying when the receivers were in charge, threats, vehicles stolen, equipment damaged etc etc. The whole place had security round it like never before.

It was supposed to calm down when Quinn and the boys got back in charge and I think most of the security has been removed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement