Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

but Santa With Muscles is airing tomorrow night at 1am on the Sony Christmas channel (because that's just what we need. Christmas channels in the middle of September).

That is exactly what we need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this in the Movies on TV thread, but Santa With Muscles is airing tomorrow night at 1am on the Sony Christmas channel (because that's just what we need. Christmas channels in the middle of September).
    Loughc wrote: »
    That is exactly what we need :D

fff29ddc00b45de467fd08b3a4579bec2e3e2d7b_full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was on a Youtube dive earlier and came to one of the lastest What culture videos.

So the two presenters kept asking for money and giving out there PayPal accounts is this now thing?

Seemed very desperate to me for some guys who basically steal other peoples content and shill it off as there own and get paid to do it by WhatCulture.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Josh Barnett's Bloodsport tomorrow. Pity Moxley v Barnett isn't happening but still mad excited for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus the prospect of the fiend retiring taker would be massive

It's a hard one till scared wwe will go fast on the fiend way to early and he will end up losing his momentum and going up with some of the top guys way to soon but he is red hot atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You have to act on things while they’re hot these days because people’s attention spans are ****ed. It sounds nice on paper to plot out slow, methodical, 2-3 year storylines, but it just doesn’t work anymore in a TL;DR era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    Josh Barnett's Bloodsport tomorrow. Pity Moxley v Barnett isn't happening but still mad excited for it.

Sucks that Moxley is missing this, still should be great, particularly looking forward to Smith/Lawlor and Minowa/Thatcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Santino was so great in his Bloodsport match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Santino/Grimm was excellent, probably second behind Smith/Lawlor for match of the night for me. Good show overall, lol at Killer Kross calling out Batista.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

leggo wrote: »
    You have to act on things while they’re hot these days because people’s attention spans are ****ed. It sounds nice on paper to plot out slow, methodical, 2-3 year storylines, but it just doesn’t work anymore in a TL;DR era.

I get what you mean, but I wouldn't neccesarily agree. Look at the resurgence of long form story telling thru television, even movies.

If it's the right story people will become invested. It's what made Daniel Bryans story compelling, instead of hot ****ting it, we got wrestlemania 30 ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Sirsok wrote: »
    I get what you mean, but I wouldn't neccesarily agree. Look at the resurgence of long form story telling thru television, even movies.

If it's the right story people will become invested. It's what made Daniel Bryans story compelling, instead of hot ****ting it, we got wrestlemania 30 ending.
    It's pretty clear over the last two decades that the lack of long term storytelling has been an issue for wrestling fans, both casual and hardcore.

If someone has actual facts to back up the claim everyone has short attention spans in this day and age I'd be all ears.

Pro Wrestling, whether people like it or not, is much more closer to the soap format of storylines than the modern streaming platform format. That's why showrunners on soaps are often given the bullet if the content isn't up to scratch as fans want good long term storytelling; if they don't get it they turn off in droves. And it's also why AEW rightly went with Jericho as their first time champ because it's going to end up telling a long term story which will crown their top face.

The difference between WWE and your average soap of course is that the former is a media conglamerate that will always make money, but that doesn't mean the actual content is any different between the two.

watching the viceland series now, enjoying them

Annoyed i watched the Monteral screwjob episode as im seeing the Bret Hart Inside the ropes in a few weeks and a lot of same stuff will be siad. Although Kenny Mcintosh didnt go into that at the HBK show if i remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I kind of agreed with leggo's original point, then you came in with your post, and it flicked the switch regarding long form story telling - Case in point/recent example, the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the ensuing 23 film Infinity Saga - Which was a huge gamble way back in 2008 with Iron Man. But it eventually caught on, people got hooked and we got a compelling (though wasn't known what was really going on until Thanos showed up in 2012's Avengers) story told over the 23 films.

Fair enough some films were hit and miss, not that important in the grand scheme, but they gave little hints and clues as to what was coming down the tracks if you were paying attention/knew your comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I get you and look, I love that kind of storytelling, so if something like that works then I’m delighted. But even those few years ago times were very different. We all stayed up for Raw nearly every week then because wrestling for most was pretty much just: Raw, monthly PPVs, laughing at TNA and watch NJPW once a year for Wrestle Kingdom. There was no notable local scene here or in Europe, VOD hadn’t caught on yet for wrestling and wrestlers in WWE were pretty much locked down with no options.

Now there are SO many variables. Look at The Shield 3-way for example. People went nuts when they gave that away on a small PPV without a long build instead of at Mania. But then it never really worked out to come back to it and do it right, and now it’s impossible with Ambrose gone. So if they hadn’t done it then, it’d be a match we’d have just never seen. And now with AEW, Fox etc, everyone in wrestling pretty much needs to empty their arsenals and be forced to keep finding ways to reload. Which doesn’t help for long-term storytelling but makes the week-to-week more exciting. You really need a monopoly situation to be able to commit properly to those kind of stories, and even then I don’t think fans have the attention spans en masse to make it a worthwhile investment. Look back on posts during the Bryan situation here and you’ll find months of bitching in the preamble about how WWE were messing it all up (remember the tantrums fans had when he wasn’t in the Rumble?)...then they didn’t and it was actually class. But they can’t afford the kind of tension, teasing and backlash required for it to work fully with competition so readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

PTH2009 wrote: »
    watching the viceland series now, enjoying them

Annoyed i watched the Monteral screwjob episode as im seeing the Bret Hart Inside the ropes in a few weeks and a lot of same stuff will be siad. Although Kenny Mcintosh didnt go into that at the HBK show if i remember correctly

They are pretty good docs.
    For anyone that hasn't seen them do so.... now! :pac:

the von erichs one was good and very sad. Amazing how one familie could suffer so much starting when the sons were only kids. I reckon theres more to the that story and Fritz may have not be so much of an angel as made out (thats just my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Why is it legal to slam someone's head off the steel steps or any foreign object or put them through a table, but not okay to slam the foreign object against them?

Why doesn't the champ wallop a weapon off the challenger if they can't lose the title via DQ?

Why doesn't the champ wallop a weapon off the challenger if they can't lose the title via DQ?

The spirit of being a fighting champ

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll spoiler my answer as it relates to Clash of Champions
    "He wants to win this in the middle of the ring", as Cole said during the Orton/Kingston match.

Also, as I'm sure we'll see with Becky and Sasha, the challenger would usually then get a rematch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

In the realm of pro wrestling, if a heel champ was to do that, it always leads to a rematch which is usually a no dq or there other match.

In the real world the rule would be kinda silla :pac: It's not done in Boxing or MMA. You would have guys just cheating intentionally on guys they can't beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I genuinely don't know who is who between Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder. A pair of blander nobodies you'll never find.

"Scott Dawson" what kind of wrestling name is that? Sounds like a PE teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PTH2009 wrote: »

the von erichs one was good and very sad. Amazing how one familie could suffer so much starting when the sons were only kids. I reckon theres more to the that story and Fritz may have not be so much of an angel as made out (thats just my opinion)
    Made out by who ? Fritz Von Erich wasn't an angel by any stretch of the imagination. He did some seriously carny **** in relation to his sons and their wrestling careers. He made his son mike wrestle when he'd clearly suffered brain damage of some kind and made him give a press conference from the hospital I think it was when anyone could see he wasn't okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Corbin has taken Ambrose's old look and it looks better on him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

J. Marston wrote: »
    Corbin has taken Ambrose's old look and it looks better on him.

Still dull as dishwater though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Loughc wrote: »
    Still dull as dishwater though.

Just like Ambrose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

Hey folks, recently did a podcast on wrestlers who should have movies made of their lives. Would love any feedback you might have or if you have your own suggestions, hoping to give some shoutouts on the next episode.
    Wrestling talk starts at 57.20
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/2sOIwc2IKMo57ZcEgvi9DO?si=AMvj0uSWTTaUmod_lwTR9A

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wonder who much b-roll footage exists from the old-school WWF era. There are a few snippets of the stuff online, including a 9 minute Mene Gene compilation, but I wonder is there much else that exists? You'd figure that WWF probably didn't keep much of the stuff at the time as it pretty much would have smashed kayfabe if it got out, but still one can hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

briany wrote: »
    I wonder who much b-roll footage exists from the old-school WWF era. There are a few snippets of the stuff online, including a 9 minute Mene Gene compilation, but I wonder is there much else that exists? You'd figure that WWF probably didn't keep much of the stuff at the time as it pretty much would have smashed kayfabe if it got out, but still one can hope.

i think bruce on something to wrestle with says they generally have all that stuff in the library and its how they added footage to their network show stuff hes never seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

briany wrote: »
    Not just b rool stuff. When Nash(as diesel) won the belt from backlund in MSG there's a camera following him from the ring into the back and the dressing room. I'd say WWE have oceans of non broadcast stuff in the vault.

Advertisement