Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

copeyhagen wrote: »
    whats the facebrook group kc?

cheers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IEVOA/?ref=share

And

https://www.facebook.com/groups/irishevowners/?ref=share

Then there’s a few for your specific make of car etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Do ye buy the chargepoint yourselves or get the electrician to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You can buy it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

copeyhagen wrote: »
    they emailed me back, circontrol ehome 7.4kw type 2 with 5m tethered for 1100 inc vat.

Ah ok. Not such a good deal. I thought you were going for their deal to install the 16A enabled (but changeable to 32A by hooking it up to a laptop) German ABL charger for €749 all in

I have that charger too, it was part of the initial ESB eCars free charger offer that was on from 2014-2017 or so. I got the installer to use 6mm2 cable (that I provided) and I had an electrician friend later swap the 25A RCBO for a 40A one that I provided. I re-programmed the unit myself. Has been working flawlessly for 2.5 years now.

rolion wrote: »
    Mad prices for dummy chargers... just "bigger granny cables" in nice and costly cases.

Got my EVcharger from H E R E,i can say that is the smartest charger on the EU zone market not only by design & works but by mobile app, controls, settings and notifications.
    One is working grand,waiting for the second.

They dont accept Irish credit cards :mad::(

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Ah ok. Not such a good deal. I thought you were going for their deal to install the 16A enabled (but changeable to 32A by hooking it up to a laptop) German ABL charger for €749 all in

I have that charger too, it was part of the initial ESB eCars free charger offer that was on from 2014-2017 or so. I got the installer to use 6mm2 cable (that I provided) and I had an electrician friend later swap the 25A RCBO for a 40A one that I provided. I re-programmed the unit myself. Has been working flawlessly for 2.5 years now.

I have the same charger. Haven’t flashed it to 32a yet as I’m not confident enough to do it. In saying that, I’ve used it once since January due to work place chargers :)

Dempsey wrote: »
    They dont accept Irish credit cards :mad::(

What about Revolut or monese or similar?

kceire wrote: »
    I have the same charger. Haven’t flashed it to 32a yet as I’m not confident enough to do it. In saying that, I’ve used it once since January due to work place chargers :)

I did look for my keys (I left the little serial connector inside the unit) so I can help you do yours, but I can't find them :(

But if you only use it occasionally, I guess it doesn't matter much. You can still charge your car from almost empty to full within the 9 hours of night rate electricity

kceire wrote: »
    What about Revolut or monese or similar?

I have revolut but I dont have 750 lying around at the moment:pac:

I did look for my keys (I left the little serial connector inside the unit) so I can help you do yours, but I can't find them :(

But if you only use it occasionally, I guess it doesn't matter much. You can still charge your car from almost empty to full within the 9 hours of night rate electricity

I got a key from Nigel Daly for mine. He was very kind in offering one and didn’t charge me despite not supplying or installing the charger for me.

I doubt I’d try it myself to be honest, I don’t trust myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have revolut but I dont have 750 lying around at the moment:pac:

Ehhh. You can top up revolut from your credit card.

Don't tell your missus I told you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Got my Zappi2 installed this morning by Darkin.

Nice and tidy and really nice guys.

Didnt realise i need the Myenergi Hub to get the app working so may go order that now.
    EDIT : £36 shipping for the hub to Ireland, arseholery. Used Parcel Motel instead. £4

eddhorse wrote: »
    Got my Zappi2 installed this morning by Darkin.

Nice and tidy and really nice guys.

They have been recommended before. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the total install and did they split it out in materials and labour?

listermint wrote: »
    Ehhh. You can top up revolut from your credit card.

Don't tell your missus I told you.

Thought that method would incur additional fees from the credit card provider, i.e. BOI?

Thought that method would incur additional fees from the credit card provider, i.e. BOI?

What fees ? It's not cash advance. It's a purchase.

They have been recommended before. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the total install and did they split it out in materials and labour?

Zappi €750, Labour €200, Material/Certification and Commissioning €240

What fees ? It's not cash advance. It's a purchase.

Its not a purchase, its a transfer from a card to another. Have you done this before?

Its not a purchase, its a transfer from a card to another. Have you done this before?

Yes all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 earl28

Hi

I am currently looking to get a chargepoint installed at home. My issue is that, if it is fitted to the wall of my house then when charging the car, the cable will need to cross a public pathway as I do not have my own driveway (it is not a busy pathway, its within a housing estate).

The two options I have are:
    1) Have the charger fitted to the wall and use either a heavy mat or some kind of cable cover to cover the cable as it crosses the pathway when I am charging the car, distance would be approx 2 metres

2) Have a pedestal installed directly beside my parking space with the cabling back to the house installed underground

I asked two companies for quotes for option 2, one of them said they could do it but it would cost 2k plus vat (with zappi charger). But the other company advised that they cannot do it as it is against regulations, think it was in case of a fire at the pedestal, the fire brigade would require access to the house which they would not have or something along those lines.

Just wondering has anyone in this situation had chargepoints installed and what method would they recommend?

Is there some sort of management company governing the parking spaces?

• Advertisement

2) is the only option, as the other one has public liability implications

Several people in this forum have done it, including this forum's moderator liamog

Yes there is a management company governing the estate and the parking space is assigned to my house.

I do have a neighbour in a similar house who got the pedestal installed 2 years ago, she got approval from the management company and hasn't had any issues since regarding breaking rules/regulations or anything like that. So I don't think I will have any issues with the management company. But the electrician who told me it against regulations also said that they previously did do these type of installations but regulations were then changed in the last year or so.

2) is the only option, as the other one has public liability implications

Several people in this forum have done it, including this forum's moderator liamog

Cool thanks, presume it should be fine due to the fact that a neighbour has had it done with no issues, just wouldn't like to have it installed only to be told I had to have it removed afterwards!

Do you think the quote of 2k plus VAT for this type of install with the Zappi is competitive?

earl28 wrote: »
    Yes there is a management company governing the estate and the parking space is assigned to my house.

I do have a neighbour in a similar house who got the pedestal installed 2 years ago, she got approval from the management company and hasn't had any issues since regarding breaking rules/regulations or anything like that. So I don't think I will have any issues with the management company. But the electrician who told me it against regulations also said that they previously did do these type of installations but regulations were then changed in the last year or so.

Erm.... knock into the neighbour and get whomever installed theirs.

Erm.... knock into the neighbour and get whomever installed theirs.

Yes already got on to them, was just put off when the second guy said that he couldn't actually do it as I would be breaking regulations

I would always ask the management company first before install.
    Least you have another person that has done it to follow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've sent a PM with details. One of the more experienced (and expensive) installers has a lot of experience installing chargers in shared spaces. I can't really see there being a big issue. I suspect the person who told you about fire issues isn't 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

eddhorse wrote: »

Zappi €750, Labour €200, Material/Certification and Commissioning €240

Was that Zappi V2? Tethered or untethered?

Thanks

Pete

Was that Zappi V2? Tethered or untethered?

Thanks

Pete

Zappi V2 Tethered with a longer cable so I can park frontways or reverse into the driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

That's a good quote. Time to go back to the company installing mine to see if they'll match that

Advertisement