Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

eddhorse wrote: »
    Was that Zappi V2? Tethered or untethered?

Thanks

Pete

Zappi V2 Tethered with a longer cable so I can park frontways or reverse into the driveway.

Good price is right.

Do you mind me asking if that included vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

handofdog wrote: »
    Good price is right.

Do you mind me asking if that included vat?

No idea what anyone's surprised at these prices. It's a glorified outdoor plug with a new rcb on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

listermint wrote: »
    No idea what anyone's surprised at these prices. It's a glorified outdoor plug with a new rcb on the board.
    If you get €600 back from SEAI then its favourable for someone who knows nothing and is not qualified to install electrical equipment.

To answer the other question there was also VAT of €160

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I've sent at least 2-3 emails to some of the providers of chargers listed here,on this topic and i received no replies at all.
    Just asked for the unit itself...

Confirming that the major profit (aka rip off) is in the installation and not by selling / passing the unit from manufacturer to end user.

rolion wrote: »
    I've sent at least 2-3 emails to some of the providers of chargers listed here,on this topic and i received no replies at all.
    Just asked for the unit itself...

Confirming that the major profit (aka rip off) is in the installation and not by selling / passing the unit from manufacturer to end user.

Well if you are a registered installer/electrician then thats fine.
    I dont get the shock at these prices. It's a relatively new thing to get EV chargers at your house and you have to pay for people to do this.
    Get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

eddhorse wrote: »
    Well if you are a registered installer/electrician then thats fine.
    I dont get the shock at these prices. It's a relatively new thing to get EV chargers at your house and you have to pay for people to do this.
    Get on with it.

Sorry what ? It's a relatively new thing to put an rcb on a fuse board and run a cable to external part of the house?

This is the nonsense that's driving the prices . And make no mistake it is nonsense. This isn't reinventing the laws of electrical work. Any reci can do this work anyone. It's akin to getting a socket for your lawnmower installed. If you want to be fun about it get quotes for that and tell them you done with 32a rated cable.

listermint wrote: »
    Sorry what ? It's a relatively new thing to put an rcb on a fuse board and run a cable to external part of the house?

This is the nonsense that's driving the prices . And make no mistake it is nonsense. This isn't reinventing the laws of electrical work. Any reci can do this work anyone. It's akin to getting a socket for your lawnmower installed. If you want to be fun about it get quotes for that and tell them you done with 32a rated cable.

Where were you last week ;)
    I agree the education on all this is lacking.
    A sticky thread for all the obvious stuff to some is needed.
    Good reply though thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

just bought rolec 32a off amazon uk for 493euro, type 2, 5m tethered.

ill need a prioriy switch though, as we'e keeping one of the leccy showers as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I bought a BMW Pro Wallbox and had it put on my gable wall - the tethered cable is too short. Does anyone have similar and bought an adapter/extender or is cutting the existing cable and getting an electrician to connect the new longer cable the best option?

For anyone who is considering the Zappi 2 untethered.

It has a nice option which allows you to lock the cable in place (PIN code required to release it).

This makes it more secure than other untethered options.

Darkin installed mine and I'm very happy with a nice clean fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

It has a nice option which allows you to lock the cable in place (PIN code required to release it).

How long were you waiting to get the Zappi from Darkin? They are like hens teeth!
    I'm waiting on a 2.0 tethered, hopefully I'll get it before the grant expires!

turnfan wrote: »

How long were you waiting to get the Zappi from Darkin? They are like hens teeth!
    I'm waiting on a 2.0 tethered, hopefully I'll get it before the grant expires!

I got the charger from. Electric Autos - there was a post on Facebook about a week ago that he had one spare.

Darkin were happy to deal with Electric Autos - no problem.

I think all installers are experiencing long lead times for Zappi 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

how do you know if you have the original Zappi or zappi 2.0? mine was installed in May, likely to be original?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eoferrall wrote: »
    how do you know if you have the original Zappi or zappi 2.0? mine was installed in May, likely to be original?

Google the image.
    They look different. And there’s options for tethered and non tethered.
    If yours is may, it’s 99.99% the first gen.

Myenergi Zappi V2
    zappi-tethered-both.jpg

Myenergi Zappi V1
    zappi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If it is untethered, then it is the new model, the original only came tethered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Thanks all, it is the original. noted the images, but the mienergi site isn't that clear on which is which etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Anyone have experience with Pinergy for their EV package? https://pinergy.ie/drive

Can't see any prices on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They hint at things but actually say next to nothing on that site. Doesn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Buying a Model 3 Performance, hopefully arrive in Oct or Nov. What is the best charger for me to get. Don’t mind paying a bit more if one is much better than another one.

Also, would like something that will work on cars other than a Tesla Incase I’ve visitors who have an EV or we get a 2nd non Tesla EV on the future. I generally only keep a car for 2 years also and next car may not be a Tesla depending on what’s available at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

digiman wrote: »
    Buying a Model 3 Performance, hopefully arrive in Oct or Nov. What is the best charger for me to get. Don’t mind paying a bit more if one is much better than another one.

Also, would like something that will work on cars other than a Tesla Incase I’ve visitors who have an EV or we get a 2nd non Tesla EV on the future. I generally only keep a car for 2 years also and next car may not be a Tesla depending on what’s available at the time.

All new EV’s have to have a type 2 plug so you just need a type 2 tethered charge point or an untethered charge point where you use the cable that came with the car.

Go with type 2 tethered. It will cover most cars bar the pre-18 Leaf and make sure it’s a 32A charge point.

Besides that the only other consideration is if you want things like apps, Solar integration, load sensing for 2 cars etc. Depends on what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

JohnC. wrote: »
    They hint at things but actually say next to nothing on that site. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Pinergy use an installer who uses EO chargers.

Edit: they're installed by KN Electrical Services in Tallaght and the costs are on the KN website.

www.electricvehiclecharger.ie

KCross wrote: »

All new EV’s have to have a type 2 plug so you just need a type 2 tethered charge point or an untethered charge point where you use the cable that came with the car.

Go with type 2 tethered. It will cover most cars bar the pre-18 Leaf and make sure it’s a 32A charge point.

Besides that the only other consideration is if you want things like apps, Solar integration, load sensing for 2 cars etc. Depends on what you want.

I do have PV panels but don’t really know what benefit they are bringing me. I’ve no stats from them in terms of how much power is generated and out of that how much we consume and how much we send back to the grid. Would like to see stats on that as well and would consider spending a few quid to make things more efficient there also

I do have PV panels but don’t really know what benefit they are bringing me. I’ve no stats from them in terms of how much power is generated and out of that how much we consume and how much we send back to the grid. Would like to see stats on that as well and would consider spending a few quid to make things more efficient there also

The Zappi in post 881 above will give you Solar integration and load sensing.

How useful the Solar integration is down to how many panels you have and whether the car is at home during the day or not to soak up the excess Solar.

At least its there as an option to use it. If you dont use it its no skin off your nose, the charge point will still work as a normal charge point.

There are a few other charge points that have apps and load sensing but I dont think they have Solar integration.

bf wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Pinergy for their EV package? https://pinergy.ie/drive

Can't see any prices on their website

Their prices are very expensive. Well hidden on their website for a reason! ;)
    https://pinergy.ie/customer-info/tariffs

Who installed the PV system?
    What size is the PV system?

Was it installed as part of a new build that you bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It's very unlikely the solar will be of any use for charging your car, unless the installation is very big and the car is home during daylight hours. Charging on night rate electricity is likely to be much less painful and a lot more certain.

If I was buying again, I'd get a Garo charger with load balancing. That way adding a second EV should be painless.

Got the myenergi hub today, it would definitely
    Be complicated for a non technical person.
    Why doesnt the ZappiV2 come with this and the installer configure it all?

EDIT had to change the channel on the Zappi to get it to pair correctly.
    Regarding the app, there isnt a simple username password login, you put in the device and registration code, will be interesting to see what happens on another phone.

kceire wrote: »

Who installed the PV system?
    What size is the PV system?

Was it installed as part of a new build that you bought?

There are 6 panels, it was part of a new build yes so I’m not sure who installed and not sure on the output of it either. It was done about 4 years ago.

• Advertisement

There are 6 panels, it was part of a new build yes so I’m not sure who installed and not sure on the output of it either. It was done about 4 years ago.

Ok so that answers most of my questions.
    6 panels on a new build from 4 years ago will be a compliance installation.
    Possibly only about 1kw system. Not enough to charge your car or make a real dent into your household useage but every little helps.

I would have thought there was an app available to monitor generation so first thing to do is get into the attic and see what the invertor is. See what brand and if there’s any company installation stickers.

Advertisement