Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Haven't heard anything yet but anyone know or think if FR1348 , FR1349 SSN-FUE-SNN will be affected by the upcoming strike action?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Haven't heard anything yet but anyone know or think if FR1348 , FR1349 SSN-FUE-SNN will be affected by the upcoming strike action?

Flights commencing in Ireland won't be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hearing reports that the cabin crew have striked on the tarmac before departure. Can see Barcelona and Reus flights have not left and scheduled to depart at 6.20am.

I'm currently scheduled on the return flight from Reus to Dublin. Sat here and not allowed to go through security

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Hearing reports that the cabin crew have striked on the tarmac before departure. Can see Barcelona and Reus flights have not left and scheduled to depart at 6.20am.

I'm currently scheduled on the return flight from Reus to Dublin. Sat here and not allowed to go through security

Delays are due to a systems failure in France affecting all local and overhead traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Sitting here waiting for the same flight. Have been on to them on Twitter and their responses are terrible. Learned more googling the French ATC issue that from them

• Advertisement

Booked a flight with Ryanair tonight, ex Poland, came to 588PLN, which FR converted to €145.16 but Revolut gave me €135.36. Massive savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Booked a flight with Ryanair tonight, ex Poland, came to 588PLN, which FR converted to €145.16 but Revolut gave me €135.36. Massive savings.

Do you mean if you paid in EUR on Ryanair they would have charged 145? Instead you paid PLN and used Revolut and the conversion from your account was 135?

That’s some saving...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Do you mean if you paid in EUR on Ryanair they would have charged 145? Instead you paid PLN and used Revolut and the conversion from your account was 135?

That’s some saving...

one of the key lessons revolut and others preach is always pay in local currency where offered

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Everyone does this - Ryanair's rates are a bit on the steep side but I've seen way way way worse particularly touristy restaurants and bars with dynamic conversion credit card machines

Nasty business practice and most of the big of the companies that provide it are Irish - Irish founded/owned at that, not just based here for tax reasons.

eBay do it for global shipping, Amazon do it and so on - just slightly less high margins. You save a lot of money paying local particularly with a card that doesn't levy cross border fees like Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

I just went through the booking system and the buttons to select Euro or Zloty are right beside each other. It is no great swindle and I see it as no worse than their charge to send an SMS message to you which I also politely decline when offered on the booking page.
    The general rule with Ryanair and most providers is that if they offer to do something additional for you then it costs you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Always always pay in the local currency and get yourself a card from one of the non domestic providers (N26 is another good one) who don’t rip you off the way the Irish banks do on foreign transaction fees - I came home from one two week business trip about two years ago and expensed €60 in foreign transaction fees from my bank. Got a card from one of our newfangled providers and now it’s zero, zilch, and when buying online I can also avoid the mark up on dynamic currency conversion - it makes a difference, eg on amazon when buying in GBP vs Euro at their price.

Van.Bosch wrote: »

That’s some saving...

Yes exactly. Was expecting a saving in the region of €3 - €4 but €10 is a massive saving.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ryanair to pull out of Belfast:
    Ryanair is pulling out of Belfast International Airport - and Aer Lingus are radically scaling back their operations from George Best Belfast City Airport, it can be revealed today.

The shock move was slammed by DUP MP Ian Paisley, who described the move as "dirty Dublin tricks attacking Northern Ireland's tourism business".

Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph, the North Antrim MP said: "It's absolutely scandalous. This is a failure by Tourism Ireland to support Northern Ireland's airports."

Referring to the airlines, he said: "They're all pulling back and operating out of to Dublin - and that is not good for Northern Ireland business.

"Where is Tourism Ireland protecting Northern Ireland jobs?

"Tourism Ireland have to demonstrate what they are doing to attract these businesses back to Belfast airports.

"It confirms what I said at the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee at Westminster that the strategy is to make Dublin the gateway and destroy the other airports."

The MP said it was his understanding that implementation of the airlines' pull-back was imminent.

Belfast International Airport flights to destinations such as Manchester, Berlin and Lanzarote would be among those affected by the plan.

Ryanair is not the main airline operating out of BIA. EasyJet represents around 80% of Belfast International Airport's business and it's operations are unaffected.

It's understood that negotiations are already under way to replace the lost flights and destinations as soon as possible through other carriers.

Industry sources last night blamed the UK's Air Passenger Duty (APD) for the airlines' decision. APD - a controversial tax imposed on air travellers that varies depending on destination and class of travel - only applies to short haul flights from Northern Ireland.

The tax can mean up to £26 in tax on any return domestic flight.

"It's crippling," the industry source said. "It adds a massive amount to the ticket price."

There is no equivalent tax on flights from the Irish Republic.

Chief executives of Belfast International, Belfast City and the City of Derry Airports have lobbied for the tax to be abolished on short haul flights.

In October 2010, Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary pulled the airline out of Belfast City Airport, after a public inquiry into a planned runway extension was delayed.

In March this year, Ryanair cut the number of flights it operates from Belfast International Airport.

It dropped three Polish routes to Gdansk, Warsaw and Wroclaw as well as flights to Malta.

It blamed Air Passenger Duty and the "weak UK market" at the time.

Earlier this year, Mr Paisley told the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee that Tourism Ireland favours the Republic, despite its cross-border remit.

He also suggested that 70% of Dublin Airport's marketing budget was spent in Northern Ireland in a bid to "poach" tourists.

At the time, Dublin Airport dismissed as "totally false" claims by Mr Paisley that it is aggressively targeting tourists arriving in Belfast.

Aer Lingus has sub-contracted flights out of Belfast City Airport to Faro in Portugal and Malaga in Spain to ASL Airlines Ireland since mid-2018.

An Aer Lingus spokesperson said: “Aer Lingus has decided to discontinue its services from Belfast City Airport to Faro and Malaga for the Summer 2020.

"The decision was made following a commercial review which determined that the routes were not performing in line with expectations. In 2020 Aer Lingus will continue to deliver a high frequency daily service between Belfast City and London Heathrow.

"In summer 2019 Aer Lingus increased frequencies on the route to 4 times daily on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays."

A Belfast International Airport spokeswoman said: “Naturally, we are extremely disappointed at this further reduction in service.

"The airport has worked hard with Ryanair over the last four years to build, develop and sustain these direct routes.

"Yet again this highlights the taxation disadvantage posed by Air Passenger Duty (APD) on airlines operating from Northern Ireland.

"We have consistently highlighted the problem which Air Passenger Duty (APD) in Northern Ireland creates for air service development and job creation.

"Our hope now is that with this news, the Government will see the damage that APD continues to do to our sector and the impediment the tax creates to attracting and maintaining services.

"By failing to remove the competitive barrier that is APD, the government is denying Northern Ireland passengers destination choice and an air travel sector that offers considerable potential.

"There remains a strong market demand for direct air services to those destinations which will no longer be served by Ryanair. We have already secured some additional capacity to the Canary Islands and will continue to work with our airline partners to replace lost services.”

Neither Belfast City Airport or Ryanair offered any comment on the scaling down of services.

Belfast Telegraph
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/blow-for-belfast-as-ryanair-pulls-out-and-aer-lingus-cuts-routes-38490545.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

Good to see NI MPs got the memo from rural TDs about blaming Dublin everytime your local airport loses a route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Ryanair to pull out of Belfast:

The shock move was slammed by DUP MP Ian Paisley, who described the move as "dirty Dublin tricks attacking Northern Ireland's tourism business".

For a few seconds I thought Ian Paisley Sr. was so angry about this that he came back from the dead to give out to everyone, totally forgot he had a son.

Is there any definite word on the closure of the Cork base?

For a few seconds I thought Ian Paisley Sr. was so angry about this that he came back from the dead to give out to everyone, totally forgot he had a son.
    He is channeling his late father because they've taken away connection options for his gifted holidays in the Maldives and Sri Lanka. He values his local airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have flights booked to Liverpool in a few weeks. Only the small carry on, so not booking priority this time. Going with my brother and we don't really care if we're sitting apart as the flight is only around 40 minutes.

If I wait until 2 days before the flight to check in for free, do I get to pick from the remaining seats or just get allocated a random seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Wheety wrote: »
    Have flights booked to Liverpool in a few weeks. Only the small carry on, so not booking priority this time. Going with my brother and we don't really care if we're sitting apart as the flight is only around 40 minutes.

If I wait until 2 days before the flight to check in for free, do I get to pick from the remaining seats or just get allocated a random seat?

You can check in up to 2 hours before the flight I think? No picking, youre randomly allocated a seat
    Normally, Ill check the "choose your seat" map to see how busy the flight is and wait until the last minute to check in. The last seats to be allocated normally are the seats up front that dont sell!

I intentionally waited until a few hours before departure on my last flight and was assigned seat 1C. To me this is a sign that the seat is probably overpriced and they'd generate marginally more revenue reducing the price of the seat slightly to sell it either dynamically as the hours to check-in close progress or just as a straight across the board rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I don't think it's even him, there's a parody twitter account and that's where I think the quote came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

marcos_94 wrote: »
    You can check in up to 2 hours before the flight I think? No picking, youre randomly allocated a seat
    Normally, Ill check the "choose your seat" map to see how busy the flight is and wait until the last minute to check in. The last seats to be allocated normally are the seats up front that dont sell!

I do that as well. I find if you wait til the last minute to check in you have a much higher chance of avoiding the middle seat. You might even get allocated a premium seat that hasn't sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

I do that as well. I find if you wait til the last minute to check in you have a much higher chance of avoiding the middle seat. You might even get allocated a premium seat that hasn't sold.

If you use the seat map, you can keep track of the middle seats and check in once theyre all allocated :D

I'm going from work on the Friday so I'll wait until then to check in. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Seat sale's up.

I take it this is a mistake in their checkiin terms
    If you choose not to purchase a seat, you will be able to Check-in 2 days in advance of each departure flight and select a randomly allocated seat (free of charge). It is important to remember that both outbound and return flight must be 2 days before departure in order to avail of a free, randomly allocated seat. You always have the option to purchase a seat in order to Check-in outside of this 2 day window.

"It is important to remember that both outbound and return flight must be 2 days before departure in order to avail of a free, randomly allocated seat."

This makes no sense.

But does it mean if you're going somewhere that both outbound and inbound must be within 2 days of check-in? So if you're going away for a week, you have to pay for seat as you can't check-in 1 leg?

Or is it a mistake and means each check-in must be within 2 days of that flight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

"It is important to remember that both outbound and return flight must be 2 days before departure in order to avail of a free, randomly allocated seat."

This makes no sense.

But does it mean if you're going somewhere that both outbound and inbound must be within 2 days of check-in? So if you're going away for a week, you have to pay for seat as you can't check-in 1 leg?

Or is it a mistake and means each check-in must be within 2 days of that flight.

There's no mistake in their terms. If you check in upto two day before a flight you must choose and pay for a seat. If you check in between 2 days and 4 hours before your flight then you take whatever seat you're allocated, but you don't have to pay for it.

You check into each individual Ryanair flight separately so if you don't want to pay for an allocated seat then you have to wait until 2 days before the return flight to check in. If you can't do this and you're checking in for both flights before you leave, then you'll have for pay for a seat for the return flight.

Or put more simply:-
    Check in from 60 to 2 days before your flight = choose and pay for your seat.
    Check in from 2 days to 2 hours before your flight = Randomly allocated free seat.

This makes no sense.

It means you can check in for the outbound journey and can't check in for the home leg at the same times (if journey is over 2 days apart) unless you purchase a seat. So coming home to check in for free, check in 2 days before that leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I haven't used them for a while but a couple of years ago when I was using them briefly I discovered the later I checked in the better the seat I got. I'm one of those people who refuses to pay extra to select a seat (or any extra really) and I assume most people do the same.
    Im assuming that the it's set up so that if you check in early and refuse to pay to select a seat they'll automatically allocate you a **** seat until eventually they only have the best seats left so they have to give them to you anyway...
    Even when it doesn't work you're still no worse off if you have no intention of paying anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

It means you can check in for the outbound journey and can't check in for the home leg at the same times (if journey is over 2 days apart) unless you purchase a seat. So coming home to check in for free, check in 2 days before that leg.

Correct. I was on a trip recently with a family member who doesn’t use a smart phone, as it was a short flight we didn’t bother booking seats and I had the hassle of checking them in and printing a boarding pass at the hotel to avoid the charge. Not an issue if you’ve got a smartphone and the app tho. But I imagine if you’re travelling on holiday with a group etc and you just want the printed document to remove complication it’s a pay for play situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Needinfo10

Hello All

I hope this is the place for this query. Would anyone know when Ryanair generally release their Cork-Palma flights for the following year. They don't seem to be up yet.

Many thanks

Advertisement