Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I am thinking that even though it’s an expensive loss for Ryanair that MOL won’t regret taking the case as he had the opportunity to damage Bellews reputation. Some big punches thrown

More like the reputational damage to FR, as a prospective employer trying to attract top end managers and executives in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    More like the reputational damage to FR, as a prospective employer trying to attract top end managers and executives in the future.

GOing to be changes made to current and future contacts for Z's, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I am thinking that even though it’s an expensive loss for Ryanair that MOL won’t regret taking the case as he had the opportunity to damage Bellews reputation. Some big punches thrown

Ryanair appealing the decision. Typical them... we have more money than you and we will drain u dry until u give in.

GOing to be changes made to current and future contacts for Z's, thats for sure.

Surprised they could have thought that they could put blanket restriction in such a contract for such a period of time with no compensation. Someone in Legal needs a talking to.

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Jeez ....... how anyone with get up and go would even think of working for them. They toxic and probably the worse abusers o& workers rights and conditions.

It’s really a one-man show and everything goes thru him. All fur and no knickers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

Delighted Bellew is free to work at Easyjet. He was trying to do real good in Ryanair, particularly mediating between front line and office staff. I recon if you are an executive in Ryanair you don't get to disagree with MOL.

Yes MOL is smart. Yes he built Ryanair into what it is today, along with his talented staff, but I think now he's getting a little too cocky about his ability to continue to drive that company forward. They need new external management. Follow in a similar path to Easyjet did with Carolyn McCall.

But what the heck do I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Masala wrote: »
    Ryanair appealing the decision. Typical them... we have more money than you and we will drain u dry until u give in.
    By the time any appeal goes through the twelve months will have already passed and he'll be well established at easyJet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I would have thought as an insider at that level being an irritant or a thorn in the side of MOL could only enhance your reputation in this industry, it's his trusted lieutenants and yes-men would be considered more reputationaly challenged outside Ryanair than this guy.
    He can wear the fact that MOL didn't like him as a badge of honour, the court ruling is the icing on the cake regardless of the appeal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I think I mentioned this last year and my argument was torn apart but having seen most of Europes airlines working today apart from the obvious low cost, what is the rationale behind Ryanair, EasyJet and the likes not flying today? Don't say its too give the staff a break but they don't care about staff the other 364 days of the year. Are Irish airports the only ones that are really closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The question is are enough people flying. There is a huge back office required to actually fly a plane. It only make sense if there are enough flying.

Ryanair won't start ops in Dublin until mid morning on the 26th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I think I mentioned this last year and my argument was torn apart but having seen most of Europes airlines working today apart from the obvious low cost, what is the rationale behind Ryanair, EasyJet and the likes not flying today? Don't say its too give the staff a break but they don't care about staff the other 364 days of the year. Are Irish airports the only ones that are really closed?

Bit of a generalisation with the EZY comment, have yet to hear one of their staff give out about working for them - They treat them very well and definitely should not be compared with the other crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Bit of a generalisation with the EZY comment, have yet to hear one of their staff give out about working for them - They treat them very well and definitely should not be compared with the other crowd.

Anyone have any thoughts on Ryanair pulling the Munich flights from Dublin for summer next year?

I am biased, I was booked for June and now they pull a route which seemed to be very busy in both directions. They used to fly twice most days, which with EI flying twice and LHA 3x meant there was a great choice. Busy route with football, beer festivals etc.
    Is it related to the 737 max, the end of cheap landing charges at MUC after the 18 month introduction, or something more nefarious. I would have thought it was one of their busier routes from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Jack1985 wrote: »

Depends on who you talk to. But that’s not the point of my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Ryanair unveil their livery for their new 737 MAX aircraft for the Polish market. Except they're calling them the 737-8200 instead of the 737 MAX.

https://simpleflying.com/ryanair-buzz-boeing-737-max/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

The 737-8200 is a variant of the MAX that can hold 200 passengers. It has an extra emergency exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Ryanair unveil their livery for their new 737 MAX aircraft for the Polish market. Except they're calling them the 737-8200 instead of the 737 MAX.

https://simpleflying.com/ryanair-buzz-boeing-737-max/

News about the 8200 has been out for 5 months now..

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jul/15/boeing-737-max-ordered-by-ryanair-undergoes-name-change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Easyjet switzerland operate Christmas day, I personally think it's only a matter of time until Dublin airport opens and there's regular (albeit reduced) services xmas day. Many forget Aer Lingus have flights on christmas day, just not departing Irish airports.

Not entirely related but I noticed this year a lot more petrol statioms were open than previous years, it signifies the trend of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Jizique wrote: »
    Anyone have any thoughts on Ryanair pulling the Munich flights from Dublin for summer next year?

I am biased, I was booked for June and now they pull a route which seemed to be very busy in both directions. They used to fly twice most days, which with EI flying twice and LHA 3x meant there was a great choice. Busy route with football, beer festivals etc.
    Is it related to the 737 max, the end of cheap landing charges at MUC after the 18 month introduction, or something more nefarious. I would have thought it was one of their busier routes from Dublin.

Was hit by this also. Will have to stump up the extra for the Aer Lingus flight home instead as there is no suitable Ryanair reroute.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

I'm flying to Frankfurt next month and looking at FR380 it seems to be constantly late departing. I thought Ryanair were precious about their on time statistics so if a flight consistently is late would they not give the incoming flight an earlier departure or a later departure to FR380? I've a train to catch in Frankfurt and its looking unlikely I'll catch it with all these delays.

Is there other flights that appear to always be late?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ryanair have ads out now saying we must all do our bit for the environment and that they do by filling every seat on every plane and using modern engines. Their new tagline is 'The Low Emissions airline'. I wonder how they quantify 'low' rather than 'lower''?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I notice that Ryanair have changed the booking process.

It is getting more difficult to avoid paying for a seat. You have to select the lowest fare and then select priority if needed at the next screen. They are really pushing towards making people pay for priority and seat selection at the onset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I notice that Ryanair have changed the booking process.

It is getting more difficult to avoid paying for a seat. You have to select the lowest fare and then select priority if needed at the next screen. They are really pushing towards making people pay for priority and seat selection at the onset.

While the interface has changed (preferred the old one myself), I haven't really noticed any additional pressure to pick seats (just click random allocation like before) although I have been noticing through test bookings that more often than not the price for priority seems to be more expensive than the base €6 each way than it used to be. Usually a booking a few months in advance would guarantee the €6 price but now it seems a bit random and can be €10 - 14 e/w so definitely something to keep in mind when comparing prices.

On a slightly related note, I can highly recommend this bag as an excellent option for free carry on: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Manhattan-Stowaway-20L/dp/B07K4FGLMS/

I can get around a weeks worth of clothes plus a laptop and several other bits and pieces if needed in to it and so I never ever feel the need to go for priority if I'm just away for 4 nights or so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ryanair have ads out now saying we must all do our bit for the environment and that they do by filling every seat on every plane and using modern engines. Their new tagline is 'The Low Emissions airline'. I wonder how they quantify 'low' rather than 'lower''?

I suspect they'd be made take the ad off air if someone made an informed complaint. CFM56 engines are not more efficient than the Leap-1A or PW1100G on the A320neo or PW1500G on the A220. Ad may have been planned for after MAX introduction but, well, that's not likely to happen any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

L1011 wrote: »
    I suspect they'd be made take the ad off air if someone made an informed complaint. CFM56 engines are not more efficient than the Leap-1A or PW1100G on the A320neo or PW1500G on the A220. Ad may have been planned for after MAX introduction but, well, that's not likely to happen any time soon!

Key word is airline not airplane.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IE 222 wrote: »
    Key word is airline not airplane.

Not really relevant when they make specific claims about their airframes, as they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

xtradel wrote: »
    I'm flying to Frankfurt next month and looking at FR380 it seems to be constantly late departing. I thought Ryanair were precious about their on time statistics so if a flight consistently is late would they not give the incoming flight an earlier departure or a later departure to FR380? I've a train to catch in Frankfurt and its looking unlikely I'll catch it with all these delays.

Is there other flights that appear to always be late?

The Sunday evening filght from Liverpool to Dublin FR446 or 447

got it 6 times last year and it was late about 5 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Not really relevant when they make specific claims about their airframes, as they do

Its completely relevant, the figures are derived from the number of empty seats, age of the fleet and number of miles flown. A competitor may have 30 newer cleaner aircraft than Ryanair but if they still have 30 older gas guzzlers flying around with empty seats it's not going to achieve much on the grand scheme of things.

IE 222 wrote: »
    Its completely relevant, the figures are derived from the number of empty seats, age of the fleet and number of miles flown. A competitor may have 30 newer cleaner aircraft than Ryanair but if they still have 30 older gas guzzlers flying around with empty seats it's not going to achieve much on the grand scheme of things.

There's virtually nobody in Europe with older kit than NGs now; and anyway they make specific inaccurate claims

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Agree with you that it is not relevant but even if someone were to complain to the ASAI it wouldnt surprise me to see them come down on the side of Ryanair. They already allow the telcos to advertise 'unlimited' data yet there are limits on it. I would imagine they would allow them advertise 'The Low Emissions Airline' just on the basis their fleet is very young and therefore has lower emissions relative to many other airlines. The ASAI is basically the advertising industry regulating themselves and they seem to go out of their way not to make decisions against advertisers.

Anyway Im flying Ryaniar at the weekend to London and theyve sent me two emails about cabin baggage sizes. 50cm max length and I normally travel with a regular sports holdall which is at a guess about 70cm long, it would only be 60% full anyway so can be squashed down, its never been a problem before but does anyone know if they've done a big clampdown recently. The emails are making me think they're standing at the gate with a measuring tape and credit card machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Nah, they just keep sending these so you can't say you weren't warned.

If it's soft bag you will be fine. The hard case ones are an issue and might be challenged.

I find soft bags are rarely looked at, as you say they can be squeezed to size.

Advertisement