Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭tigger123

Is that an intentional origami reference? :D

Entirely unintended!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wasn't even aware of that show, might have to give it a look going by the above.

It's been trending on Twitter since it was released and is getting glowing reviews across the board. It's got a fairly well known cast too. Weird how Netflix don't seem to be promoting it at all?

I think I'm one of the only people in existence that prefers the newer Blade Runner

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Weird how Netflix don't seem to be promoting it at all?

It was on my home screen when I opened the app on Friday so they're marketing it. Their algorithms are odd though. For example, they didn't mention Tuca and Bertie to me, despite me watching all of BoJack Horseman (they share writers). In fact nobody seemed to know about it, leading the show creator to point out that Netflix's advertising algorithm can suck.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ixoy wrote: »
    It was on my home screen when I opened the app on Friday so they're marketing it. Their algorithms are odd though. For example, they didn't mention Tuca and Bertie to me, despite me watching all of BoJack Horseman (they share writers). In fact nobody seemed to know about it, leading the show creator to point out that Netflix's advertising algorithm can suck.

First I heard of that Tuca and Bertie one was when it got cancelled.
    Their Twitter has been pushing Top Boy all weekend, which is fine, but I feel like that's a thing people have been waiting for anyway and probably doesn't need the extra push.

Suppose it's good if a show finds its own audience and generates its own hype, like Unbelievable seems to have done.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think Unbelievable was being pushed on my feed at all but then again even if it was, on the surface it's probably the kind of show that I wouldn't give a second look to and just didn't notice. It's only the glowing reaction here that has me piqued.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

adox wrote: »
    Watched Unbelievable in one sitting today. Possibly the best show that Netflix have produced.

Great series, hate when I run through something so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Watched the i land over wkend, I dunno, I found myself watching to see would something actually happen but it never really did, it wasn't too bad in fairness but I thought the acting was was poor enough, I've seen worse shows though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This is due next month. Not sure that I see an entire series worth of story from the core premise, but it has some decent talent behind it, and Rudd can be engaging with the right material. Hopefully it'll pull at the same threads as Rick and Morty rather than go down the Multiplicity route! Aisling Bea co-stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of Our Lives
    This music-driven documentary charts Clive Davis' 50-year career as one of the world's most influential record moguls

Occupation
    When aliens take over their small Australian town, a modest group of survivors must unite to fend off their otherworldly intruders

Pick of the Litter
    Five Labrador puppies embark on a 20-month training to pass the milestones on their journey to becoming guide dogs for people with visual impairment.

Added today

• Advertisement

Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of Our Lives
    This music-driven documentary charts Clive Davis' 50-year career as one of the world's most influential record moguls

Occupation
    When aliens take over their small Australian town, a modest group of survivors must unite to fend off their otherworldly intruders

Pick of the Litter
    Five Labrador puppies embark on a 20-month training to pass the milestones on their journey to becoming guide dogs for people with visual impairment.

Added today

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The recommendation algorithm seems to be utterly useless. 3 months after watching (and giving a thumbs down to) "In a Relationship" we're still seeing it at the top of the home page when we log in. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

peteeeed wrote: »
    Surviving R. Kelly: Season 1
    The six-part documentary that explores the allegations of abuse against the singer

Free willy

Flowers season 2

Only fools and horses season 3 & 4

Added today

Probably not a good move to list them like that !!
    Ive watched a bit of the iland it reminds me of lost and I hated that! is it worth staying with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Probably not a good move to list them like that !!
    Ive watched a bit of the iland it reminds me of lost and I hated that! is it worth staying with?

reviews are brutal. wouldn't touch it with a barge pole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

peteeeed wrote: »
    Occupation

No RT reviews, IMdb 53%- terrible reviews elsewhere. Described by one as "Almost feels like a spoof".

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix has landed the global rights to Seinfeld from 2021 and all episodes will be in 4K for the first time.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1173634552373243912?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Netflix has landed the global rights to Seinfeld from 2021 and all episodes will be in 4K for the first time.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1173634552373243912?s=20

More cash for Seinfeld ,that bastard has it made.

I never got only fools season 4,i only have 1,2,3 and specials

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Top Boy season 3 is great really enjoying it.

American Horror Story Apocalypse was on TV ages ago. New season starts next week probably hit Netflix next year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Top Boy season 3 is great really enjoying it.
    It's good innit bruv.
    Anyone else need subtitles for the show at times?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

ixoy wrote: »
    It's good innit bruv.
    Anyone else need subtitles for the show at times?
    Yeah the accents and lingo are a bit heavy at times but I can make it out mostly. I'm only on episode 7 so don't know how it ends but I hope there is a season 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not much added today; just that 2018 Robin Hood 'adaptation' by the looks of things.

And David Brent life on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Four episodes into Unbelievable and all I can say is that the comments on here were spot on.

Wouldn’t have even noticed it except for this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Four episodes into Unbelievable and all I can say is that the comments on here were spot on.

Wouldn’t have even noticed it except for this thread

Seriously? It's been the big header/banner ad on my acct all week I cant avoid it!

Might give it a go. Was so stuck for something to wstch I finally gsve Breaking Bad a try. Have to say I always had a feeling it was overrated and while it's decent I dont think my suspicions were wrong so far. Find the dialogue and performances a bit overcooked/hacky at times esp Aaron Paul. Cranston is great but everything else is a bit cliche. Ive heard people saying it's up there with the Sopranos not a hope, the Sopranos every episode was like a well made film, BB doesn't feel like that to me, it's just a long TV show and the dialogue is nowhere near as clever or funny. But good enough I'll probably keep going with it.

Might start Top Boy as well though I dunno if I can stomach that 'innit bruv' type banter it really grates on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Another fantastic watch in Unbelievable, thanks to here!

No spoilers but I am deeply in love with Detective Duvall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

3 episodes in, but another +1 for Unbelievable.

Considering the subject matter, you’d never think that something like this could be entertaining, but it is, and not only that, it’s actually something you want to binge. Even if this wasn’t a fact based story, I’d be totally into it, but... it is, which makes it all the more impressive.

Crazy that they could pull something like this off.

It’s a masterclass in storytelling. Bravo Netflix and everyone involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just finished Unbelievable. It hadn't popped up for me previously but I really enjoyed it.

Love finding a nugget of a series like this out of the blue!!

• Advertisement

Maybe a silly question but how do you know what and when new shows are added

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement