Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Watched it's kind of a funny story, enjoyable actually!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bill Burr: Paper Tiger
    Bill Burr unloads on outrage culture, male feminism, cultural appropriation, robot sex and more in a blistering stand-up special shot in London

Evelyn
    Haunted by the suicide of a brother, a director and his kin walk across the U.K. in an emotionally trying, visually sublime journey toward healing

Our Godfather
    In 1986, Tommaso Buscetta became the first top-level Mafia boss ever to testify against the mob. It cost him and his family everything.

Sword Art Online season 2
    A video game whiz helps create a new technology that enables players to guide their online avatars with their own bodies -- but a dark twist emerges

Terrace House: Tokyo 2019-2020
    Six strangers share a fabulous house in Tokyo, looking for love while living under the same roof. With no script, what happens next is all up to them

Added today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Jesus Netflix why can’t I skip the intro to Its Always Sunny? My head is melted with the theme tune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

myself and her indoors stuck into 'rectify'....really good show.

"Rectify" focuses on the efforts of Daniel Holden (Aden Young), a convict who spent 19 years on death row, to reindoctrinate himself into society and reacquaint himself with his family in a small Georgia town after DNA testing overturns the verdict in his murder trial. His efforts to make a new life are complicated by the politician (Michael O'Neill) who was instrumental in putting him behind bars, who makes it his business to see that Daniel gets sent back to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

dougm1970 wrote: »

"Rectify" focuses on the efforts of Daniel Holden (Aden Young), a convict who spent 19 years on death row, to reindoctrinate himself into society and reacquaint himself with his family in a small Georgia town after DNA testing overturns the verdict in his murder trial. His efforts to make a new life are complicated by the politician (Michael O'Neill) who was instrumental in putting him behind bars, who makes it his business to see that Daniel gets sent back to jail.

This is an excellent slowburner. A simple story, really well told and acted, with some simple but effective subplots. Doesn't sound like much, but inevitably the question, and the drama, arises : Did he or didn't he commit the murder? Your sympathies are increasingly tested, until you find out in the end. It sounds drawn out, over 4 series, but it's well worth the wait.

From RT:

AVERAGE TOMATOMETER 95%

AVERAGE AUDIENCE SCORE 93%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

dougm1970 wrote: »

Not on Irish Netflix......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone watching the spy? Sasha Baron Cohen is in it. It’s pretty good. On third episode.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/netflix/netflix-review-sacha-baron-cohen-compelling-the-spy-418499/

Finished it last night, fantastic.. Then immediately bought the book 'Our Man in Damacus'

Sasha Baron Cohen was brilliant playing Eli Cohen, so good.

Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rebellion an Irish drama surrounding the 1916 rising looks decent enough.The 1st season is there with the 2nd to follow later this year.

Stars a good few from Love Hate including a boards.ie favourite John Conners.

Two episodes in and looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought Rebellion was pretty crap personally and the follow-up even worse. Wanted to like it but just wasn't there.

I'll stick with it for now and see how it progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Rebellion an Irish drama surrounding the 1916 rising looks decent enough.The 1st season is there with the 2nd to follow later this year.

Stars a good few from Love Hate including a boards.ie favourite John Conners.

Two episodes in and looks promising.
    not on irish netflix?

soap1978 wrote: »
    not on irish netflix?

Apologies I didn't think the vpn worked on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Rebellion is available on the RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Not on Irish Netflix......

oh ?...apologies...we use a vpn on the tv apps for bbc iplayer, u.s. netflix etc...and ordinary non-vpn on an android box for regular netflix.
    didnt dawn on me to think it could have been not on our netflix here.

Bill Burr's new stand up is very good if you're into that kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Call the Midwife season 7
    This period drama set in impoverished East London in the 1950s follows a newly qualified midwife and her colleagues at a nursing convent.

Kill the Messenger
    In the 1980s, a crusading journalist uncovers secret CIA funding for Nicaraguan rebels, but the powers that be silence his investigation.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"Michael Inside" - a Dublin teenager's experience of the Irish penal system after getting caught up in a drugs bust. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sleepy wrote: »
    "Michael Inside" - a Dublin teenager's experience of the Irish penal system after getting caught up in a drugs bust. Really enjoyed it.
    I was pretty disappointed with it tbh saw it in cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was pretty good too. Definitely worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

gmisk wrote: »
    I was pretty disappointed with it tbh saw it in cinema
    Bumped the film thread for it and it certainly seemed to get mixed reactions! Personally, I found the tension ratcheted up pretty well and the main character to be quite easy to identify with. Not a perfect film but I liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 ishudcoco

+1 for that Danish film The Guilty. Brilliant performance from the lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Completely hooked on Mindhunter after starting it last week. Excellent show. Started S2 last night

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

So I knocked through Travels with my father over the last couple of weeks. I wouldn't be a big fan of Jack Whitehall, he's not bad but I think especially not in stand up that he sets his joke up the same way and you can see the punchline coming a mile off. Also its Far from an original idea travelling around with your parent(s) or a fish out of water staged reality show (Paris Hilton was doing this kind of thing 15 years ago.

Having said all that I really found it excellent. His father Michael plays this almost deadpan but yet cutting line delivery just perfectly. Bit of heart in there and some real LOL moments.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

"So I knocked through Travels with my father over the last couple of weeks."

That took me too long. Thought you had been spending time with your father.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

inforfun wrote: »
    "So I knocked through Travels with my father over the last couple of weeks."

That took me too long. Thought you had been spending time with your father.....
    This is why formatting is important. Compare
    "So I knocked through Travels with my father over the last couple of weeks"
    with
    "So I knocked through Travels With My Father over the last couple of weeks."
    or even
    "So I knocked through Travels With My Father over the last couple of weeks."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

"the world is yours". really entertaining and well put together French gangster movie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ziedth wrote: »
    So I knocked through Travels with my father over the last couple of weeks. I wouldn't be a big fan of Jack Whitehall, he's not bad but I think especially not in stand up that he sets his joke up the same way and you can see the punchline coming a mile off. Also its Far from an original idea travelling around with your parent(s) or a fish out of water staged reality show (Paris Hilton was doing this kind of thing 15 years ago.

Having said all that I really found it excellent. His father Michael plays this almost deadpan but yet cutting line delivery just perfectly. Bit of heart in there and some real LOL moments.

Only ever managed to struggle through the 1st series.

Was funny in parts but very scripted and staged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Off work sick today, so watched about four episodes of The I-Land.

I feel much much worse.
    It's an awful show. Truly awful.

Have to make a comparison to Netflix's recent Another Life.
    Both shows are completely derivative of far better movies & shows that came before them. They just blatantly steal concepts/themes but deliver them with zero care, both are awful at world building, character developing, and just thoroughly unenjoyable.

Please avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/09/11/official-the-witcher-release-date-revealed/

The Witcher may be landing on December 17th.
    Not sure if that date has any significance since it's a Tuesday, rather than the usual Friday release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

Off work sick today, so watched about four episodes of The I-Land.

I feel much much worse.
    It's an awful show. Truly awful.

Have to make a comparison to Netflix's recent Another Life.
    Both shows are completely derivative of far better movies & shows that came before them. They just blatantly steal concepts/themes but deliver them with zero care, both are awful at world building, character developing, and just thoroughly unenjoyable.

Please avoid.

I couldn’t watch 4 episodes of something I found ‘truly awful’. I could understand giving a show 4 episodes to pick up if it was average.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement