Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Girl (Belgian)
    Fifteen-year-old ballet dancer Lara faces physical and emotional hurdles as she prepares for gender confirmation surgery. Inspired by a true story.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dead in a week. Dreadful load of crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

peteeeed wrote: »
    Girl (Belgian)
    Fifteen-year-old ballet dancer Lara faces physical and emotional hurdles as she prepares for gender confirmation surgery. Inspired by a true story.

added today

God, this film. For the first half you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s a sympathetic, compassionate story of a trans teenager’s transition. But it becomes increasingly misguided until its ugly, ill-judged ending that makes it if anything a step backwards for trans representation in cinema. Skip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, is that Dark Crystal TV show any use?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    So, is that Dark Crystal TV show any use?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057746103 ;)

TLDR: I've only watched the first episode but it's impressive; as exotic and otherworldly as the original movie, with probably 5 times the budget. Uses CGI but only to accentuate the world. Only quibble would be the Gelflings are as stiff as that movie's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Anyone else watch Hip-Hop Evolution on Netflix?

The NY coverage is truly excellent, with in-depth interviews of many of the central musicians, producers and others. The other stuff on the South, LA and Bay Area is merely good. You get the impression that your man presenting just loves east coast hip-hop and would have done a 12 episode series on NY alone if Netflix let him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The falling inn

8/10...so good

*disclaimer...currently suffering post electric picnic PTSD

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Anyone else watch Hip-Hop Evolution on Netflix?

The NY coverage is truly excellent, with in-depth interviews of many of the central musicians, producers and others. The other stuff on the South, LA and Bay Area is merely good. You get the impression that your man presenting just loves east coast hip-hop and would have done a 12 episode series on NY alone if Netflix let him.

Yeah, as a bit of a hip hop fan, I love it.
    The interviewer is also a rapper from Canada called Shad and is a hip hop nerd. Given were he grew up and the affiliations he built up, he'd drift more to the east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Yeah, as a bit of a hip hop fan, I love it.
    The interviewer is also a rapper from Canada called Shad and is a hip hop nerd. Given were he grew up and the affiliations he built up, he'd drift more to the east.

Yeah I looked him up and thought the same. Season 2 ended on a high with Wu-Tang, Biggie and Nas. Looking forward to Season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

https://www.fatherly.com/news/netflix-is-ditching-the-binge-will-start-releasing-episodes-weekly/

Not sure if this article is reading too much into some weekly releases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Rfrip wrote: »
    The falling inn

8/10...so good

*disclaimer...currently suffering post electric picnic PTSD

What's this? All that shows up is what looks like an awful movie with Christina milian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Rfrip

What's this? All that shows up is what looks like an awful movie with Christina milian.

Yes it’s awful. I loved it

Submergence
    Separated by their jobs, a British spy and a deep-sea scientist look back on their whirlwind affair from their respective, isolated circumstances.

Wanderlust season 1
    Unable to revive their fading sex life after many years of marriage, a therapist and her husband decide to start dating other people.

The World We Make
    A teenage equestrian and a local football player fall for each other, but simmering racism in their small town puts their relationship to the test.

Added today

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Between Two Ferns, the movie was announced yesterday (or trailer dropped anyway). Out later this month on Netflix. It does look pretty funny. Huge list of guest stars too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Between Two Ferns?? Holy hell, there's a blast from the past of ... ... *checks notes* 2008. Man, the iPhone was only a year old and the Internet hadn't completely descended into a garbage fire. Halcyon days.

Avengement
    Betrayed by his loan shark brother, a hardened convict escapes from prison while on furlough to exact revenge against the people who made him a killer.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Avengement
    Betrayed by his loan shark brother, a hardened convict escapes from prison while on furlough to exact revenge against the people who made him a killer.

added today
    They really were struggling for a title if thats the best they could come up with lol

The Spy: Season 1
    Sacha Baron Cohen stars in this new series about Israel’s most prominent spy Eli Cohen, who in the beginning of the 60s operated undercover in Syria. His unprecedented infiltration into the top military and political echelons changed the face of the Middle East but came at a very high personal cost.

Elite: Season 2
    The Spanish thriller returns to the country’s best and most exclusive school, where the elite send their children to study. It’s also where three working class kids have just been admitted after their academy was collapsed and the local council divvied up the students between other schools in the area. They thought that they’d lucked out, but maybe they weren’t so lucky after all – because by the end of Season 1, a dead body had turned up and a suspect had been found…

Hip-Hop Evolution: Season 3
    Shad Kabango traces the growth of hip-hop subcultures in New York, the South and Oakland, California, in the ’80s and ’90s.

Travels with My Father: Season 3
    Two years ago, Jack Whitehall and his father, Michael, embarked on a South East Asian odyssey, fulfilling Jack’s lifelong dream of a gap year, and against all the odds they both survived. Now, they’re back on the road again for a third voyage.

The Modest Heroes of Studio Ponoc
    Yoshiaki Nishimura discusses Studio Ponoc's founding, their creative principles and the inspiration behind their three "Modest Heroes" shorts.

Modest Heroes: Ponoc Short Films Theatre
    Two underwater siblings surviving on their own. A boy with a serious egg allergy. A man invisible to the rest of society. Three short animated tales.

Hell Fest
    A serial killer picks off a group of friends, one by one, as they make their way through a hell-themed amusement park.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I have to say, I'm really liking Working Moms. We're onto season 3 and there's really some laugh out loud moments.

The Bletchley Circle: San Francisco season 1
    Two highly skilled detectives from the UK team with their US counterparts and use their code-cracking talents to investigate a series of murders.

Added today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Modest Heroes of Studio Ponoc
    Yoshiaki Nishimura discusses Studio Ponoc's founding, their creative principles and the inspiration behind their three "Modest Heroes" shorts.

Modest Heroes: Ponoc Short Films Theatre
    Two underwater siblings surviving on their own. A boy with a serious egg allergy. A man invisible to the rest of society. Three short animated tales.

I'm delighted to see these turn up, I was lucky enough to catch Studio Ponoc's first film Mary And The Witch's Flower at a screening last year and really enjoyed it, a strong vibe of early Miyazaki/Ghibli to it. I'm hoping that they'll carry on the Ghibli torch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone watching the spy? Sasha Baron Cohen is in it. It’s pretty good. On third episode.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/netflix/netflix-review-sacha-baron-cohen-compelling-the-spy-418499/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They’re pretty good shorts in Modest Heroes. I wasn’t mad on Mary and The Witch’s Flower (it’s good and beautifully drawn but felt derivative of Ghibli and a few other things). The first film in the set is the weakest, and feels kinda like an Arrietty spin-off despite looking lovely. Picks up considerably in the second short, which has a more unique style and feels like a very different type of film in a good way. The third then is its own thing again, with another distinctive and fetching look to it.

It’s all very short at under an hour, but it gives me hope that Ponoc will go on to make things that don’t just feel like a straight continuation of Ghibli minus its most iconic directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone watching the spy? Sasha Baron Cohen is in it. It’s pretty good. On third episode.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/netflix/netflix-review-sacha-baron-cohen-compelling-the-spy-418499/

Yep. On episode 7. Enjoying it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

cml387 wrote: »
    Mother! is certainly thought provoking.
    It reminded me for some reason of "The Day Of The Locust" in it's bizarre and violent ending and it's dislocating narrative. Also in the fandom that brought both to an insane climax.
    Probably not a date movie though.

Really didn't enjoy it!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

cml387 wrote: »
    Mother! is certainly thought provoking.
    It reminded me for some reason of "The Day Of The Locust" in it's bizarre and violent ending and it's dislocating narrative.
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Really didn't enjoy it!:(

Well that's art for ya. This one was full of symbolism that required a lot of thinking (or researching) to unlock its meaning. I couldn't be bothered after seeing it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

fin12 wrote: »

I've finished it, was enjoyable. I didn't know what to expect of him in a more serious role but he was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Three things I watched over the weekend;

A Simple Favour - very strange film but I enjoyed it. None of the characters are particularly likeable the performances are strong and the plot moves along at a decent pace.

Tomb Raider (2017?) - Ben Wheatley was announced last week as directing the sequel so I thought I'd give this a go. It's fine, its definitely aimed at a younger audience and it feels like they've made an effort to make the kind of action set piece you might get in a game.

Michael Bolton's Big, Sexy Valentine's Day Special - if you like Lonely Island and I Think Should Leave I don't see how you wouldn't like this. It's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Three things I watched over the weekend;

A Simple Favour - very strange film but I enjoyed it. None of the characters are particularly likeable the performances are strong and the plot moves along at a decent pace.
    its bonkers.....really enjoyed it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

The Narcos series and The Dark Crystal are very good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement