Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is it just me or is Netflix a bit **** recently? I haven't seen something decent being added in some time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Netflix a bit **** recently? I haven't seen something decent being added in some time :(

Depends what your definition of decent is, I'm really enjoying the Dark Crystal series and im looking forward to watching the new Blade Runner which I missed in cinemas. I've got so much on My List at the moment anyway that I still have to watch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Anyone know if there will be a new season of Narcos coming this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mindhunter season 2
    Dark crystal
    Elite season 2 is fun as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

munster87 wrote: »
    I couldn’t watch 4 episodes of something I found ‘truly awful’. I could understand giving a show 4 episodes to pick up if it was average.

Sick, and fairly incapacitated.
    Only my own time wasted.

Another Life only got one episode before being canned from my watch list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Paddleton isnt a bad watch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

munster87 wrote: »
    I couldn’t watch 4 episodes of something I found ‘truly awful’. I could understand giving a show 4 episodes to pick up if it was average.

Twenty seconds into episode two when the lead character
    goes swimming in shark-infested waters having just cut her foot badly on the beach
    was the final red flag for me.

Shame. It had plenty of promise.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They appear to be going for quantity over quality, I fear.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've really been struggling to find things to watch over the last month or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Netflix IS mostly rubbish, especially for films. Very few of the films you will want to see but didn't get to see in the cinema will go onto Netflix, the top film industry studios are not happy about everyone staying home to watch stuff and are trying to avoid putting stuff on it.

as has been discussed before there are TONS of older films that could help their catalog but Netflix really are all about stuff that is new and in HD so it rarely adds old stuff that's any good.

I think eventually the studios will come around and make a service that will show more recent films that are done in the cinema that will replace DVDs as very few people still buy them.

I also think Netflix or other streaming services will move away from putting whole seasons of certain shows on at once and add single episodes or portions of seasons weekly instead.

I'm having to resort to nefarious means to find good films lately. The only thing worse than Netflix at the moment is film4. Jesus cripes how many times can they put on The Babysitter?

I watched a bit of the Bill Burr special, though I have never and still don't understand why he's so popular, he's the most stereotypical 'Boston-Irish-American' loud obnoxious 'I tell it how it is and don't care if you're offended' type, just don't find him clever or original at all it's the type of banter you could find in any barroom. But some people think he's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

"the world is yours". really entertaining and well put together French gangster movie

I can't find this on Netflix, does it have an alter ego, another name?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If I didn't think netflix was value for money I would be cancelling my sub straight away.

Personally I think it could be better but when you take into account what you get for €15 a month I think its well worth it.

Back in the DVD rental days you wouldn't be getting very much for €15.

There is also little loop holes around reducing that €15 to around €8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

while it's in general a pretty dumb movie, David Spade gives a hilarious performance in Father of the Year. he's kind of a love him or hate him guy I've always been a fan of his myself, his films are generally crap since Chris Farley died but he is really funny on his talk show appearances.

still can't get over how unfunny Bill Burr is though, relies on f bombs because his jokes have no punchlines or actual wit. he just rants about PC culture like an idiotic drunk uncle with a smug look on his face I couldn't make it past ten minutes can't believe people would pay to go see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Netflix IS mostly rubbish, especially for films. Very few of the films you will want to see but didn't get to see in the cinema will go onto Netflix, the top film industry studios are not happy about everyone staying home to watch stuff and are trying to avoid putting stuff on it.

as has been discussed before there are TONS of older films that could help their catalog but Netflix really are all about stuff that is new and in HD so it rarely adds old stuff that's any good.

I think eventually the studios will come around and make a service that will show more recent films that are done in the cinema that will replace DVDs as very few people still buy them.

I also think Netflix or other streaming services will move away from putting whole seasons of certain shows on at once and add single episodes or portions of seasons weekly instead.

I'm having to resort to nefarious means to find good films lately. The only thing worse than Netflix at the moment is film4. Jesus cripes how many times can they put on The Babysitter?

I watched a bit of the Bill Burr special, though I have never and still don't understand why he's so popular, he's the most stereotypical 'Boston-Irish-American' loud obnoxious 'I tell it how it is and don't care if you're offended' type, just don't find him clever or original at all it's the type of banter you could find in any barroom. But some people think he's brilliant.

Simple answer: because people find him funny. Not everything has to be groundbreaking. Sometimes plain old funny will do. You could reduce any comedian to a stereotypical description if you tried. And you’d struggle to find someone as funny as him in any bar. Plenty who think they’re as funny, mind.

I think he made some good points myself.
    He was spot on with the quadriplegic actor thing and the bit about consent and how tone and context matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Watched Bill Burrs special the other night and found it pretty good, I like his style of going off on a rant about something which normally isn't funny but he puts it into a funny perspective or his ridiculous logic about something. I think you get a better sense of him from his podcast. I don't really like how comedy specials these days are full of pc nonsense but thats the way the world is now

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've never listened to Bill Burr's stand up as he doesn't really appeal to me for some reason but F is For Family is brilliant (imo).

Anyone who doesn't think Ol' Billy is funny is just flatout wrong.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I might give one of his a look when I finish all the Dave Chappelle specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Bill Burr is fantastic but if you're not familiar with him, I can see why the Joe Rogan podcast wouldn't exactly make his special must see viewing. ironically Joe's podcasts with comedians are actually very rarely funny, they wind up just talking about the biz. But I would definitely recommend Burrs new special. He's one of the best around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

garra wrote: »
    I can't find this on Netflix, does it have an alter ego, another name?

just checked there and it doesn't look like it's on the english netflix :mad:. it's on the French one under "le monde est a toi".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Only 2 ep's in but Dark Crystal is one of the best things Netflix has commissioned.

RasTa wrote: »
    Only 2 ep's in but Dark Crystal is one of the best things Netflix has commissioned.

I'm 8 in and couldn't agree more. It looks stunning in dolby vision.

I think it's many times superior to the film too tbh.

A bit mad the main guy behind it was the director of The Transporter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Simple answer: because people find him funny. Not everything has to be groundbreaking. Sometimes plain old funny will do. You could reduce any comedian to a stereotypical description if you tried. And you’d struggle to find someone as funny as him in any bar. Plenty who think they’re as funny, mind.

I think he made some good points myself.
    He was spot on with the quadriplegic actor thing and the bit about consent and how tone and context matter.

I thought it was excellent. Wasn’t wild on his last one but absolutely loved everything before that. This was a return to form IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

dulux99 wrote: »
    But I would definitely recommend Burrs new special. He's one of the best around.

I liked some of his previous stuff but this latest one was pretty tedious. Just ranting about pc gone mad, laughs were pretty thin on the ground. I think I made it about 20 minutes in.

I know, I know, it's all subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

American Horror Story season 8
    This twisted Emmy-winning drama plays upon the power of supernatural fears and everyday horrors, exploring humankind's unsettling capacity for evil

The Chef Show season 2
    Writer, director and food enthusiast Jon Favreau and chef Roy Choi explore food in and out of the kitchen with accomplished chefs and celebrity friends

Head Count
    A group of college students on a weekend getaway accidentally summon a supernatural entity intent on using them for its deadly ritual

Hello, Privilege. It's Me, Chelsea
    In this documentary, Chelsea Handler explores how white privilege impacts American culture -- and the ways it's benefited her own life and career

Hitman Redemption (Asher)
    After meeting a teacher during a botched job, a weathered hitman strives to escape his indentured life to start a free one with her.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: The Battle of Unato season 1
    Ikoma and the Iron Fortress take their fight to the battlegrounds of Unato, joining the alliance to reclaim the region from the kabane horde

Marianne season 1
    Lured back to her hometown, a famous horror writer discovers that the evil spirit who plagues her dreams is now wreaking havoc in the real world.

Monarca season 1
    After 20 years, Ana Mar�a returns to Mexico and vies for control of her family's tequila empire as it threatens to crumble under corruption and secrets

The raunch season 7
    Being a pro athlete didn't pan out for Colt. Now he's helping his dad and brother keep the ranch afloat, and figuring out how he fits into the family

Shanghai Fortress
    A young man falls for a heroic general and soon follows her footsteps as humans defend Earth against extraterrestrials seeking a precious energy source.

Tall Girl
    After years of slouching through life, 6-foot-1 teen Jodi resolves to conquer her insecurities and gets caught up in a high school love triangle.

Top Boy season 1
    Two seasoned drug dealers return to the gritty streets of London, but their pursuit of money
    and power is threatened by a young and ruthless hustler

Unbelievable
    After a young woman is accused of lying about a rape, two female detectives investigate a spate of eerily similar attacks. Inspired by true events

Betty en NY
    A young Hispanic woman in New York struggles to break into the fashion industry but is faced with an even bigger challenge: finding love

The I-Land
    Wiped clean of memories and thrown together, a group of strangers fight to survive harsh realities -- and the island that traps them.

The Mind, Explained ( new eps)
    Ever wonder what's happening inside your head? From dreaming to anxiety disorders, discover how your brain works with this illuminating series

Added today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

American Horror Story season 8 - Apocalypse is absolutely dreadful. 1st episode is ok, then the story just gets difficult to follow, and just style over substance.
    Season 1 and 2 were fantastic.
    3 Witches was great for first half but went down towards end.
    4 Freak Show was very good throughout.
    5 Hotel was a bit mewh, think this is where they started to treat the show like a hipster music video.
    6 Roanoke I though was absolutely brilliant, would have it with 2 and 1 as the best of all series.
    7 Trump was not good but still watchable.
    8 was just dreadful and very unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Yea, its been a while since anything got my attention on it tbh, Umbrella Academy probably. I watched a couple of episodes of Wu Assassin last night, which I didnt love. Again, I think this was a show picked up by Netflix rather than produced by them.

I'm starting to think its a bit of a false economy. The really quality stuff I have been watching lately has been on other services

All 4 - Fleabag, Community
    Amazon - The Boys, homecoming, Hanna
    Sky Atlantic - Chernobyl, Fortitude

I think I'll cancel netflix and take on an AppleTV and keep my Amazon Prime subscription. €15 or whatever is not going to break me, but I'd rather watch a limited amount of high quality new content rather than middling repeat or rerun material.

Just my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Off work sick today, so watched about four episodes of The I-Land.

I feel much much worse.
    It's an awful show. Truly awful.

Have to make a comparison to Netflix's recent Another Life.
    Both shows are completely derivative of far better movies & shows that came before them. They just blatantly steal concepts/themes but deliver them with zero care, both are awful at world building, character developing, and just thoroughly unenjoyable.

Please avoid.

Watched the trailer for The I-Land last night and that was enough to tell me its utter ****e. Looked like a rip off of Lost. Netflix really bug me with their quality sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

All 4 - Fleabag, Community
    Amazon - The Boys, homecoming, Hanna
    Sky Atlantic - Chernobyl, Fortitude

Why is Fleabag on All4?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement