Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replay: All Ireland SFC Final Dublin v Kerry Saturday 14/09/2019 @ 6pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Is there no thread on here for the Ladies championship? Huge crowd at the finals today.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

PressRun wrote: »
    This is something people don't pay attention to at all when it comes to him. He's involved in everything, setting up scores and playing others into scoring positions. Say whatever you want about his temperment, but he's a smart man and reads the game well. Mayo are poorer when he's not there.

Not even sure how this turned into a discussion about Cillian O'Connor anyway. People trying to argue with facts again.

Absolutely. Just thinking back to the Donegal game this summer, Cillian scored 1-4 and assisted another 4. That's a direct involvement in 1-8 of our 1-14 total yet his performance wasn't mentioned. All the plaudits went to Durcan, O'Shea and Moran.

Anyway, I've derailed the thread enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is awfully radical but does football need a shot clock? From being at the game it just seems like it’s too easy to retain possession and do nothing with it. Once Dublin got in front they had no urgency to their play at all and just held possession until they worked a simple shot. Was very frustrating to watch at times I thought.

But Dublin did something with it. Everytime.

Working a simple shot? So what? You'd rather we just did a Kerry and kick ridiculous shots and wides from all over the pitch.

The way we made space with the patient passing was just wondrous. Causing impatience and then "BANG!", off we went.

A shot clock is a ridiculous idea and yet another one to throw at Dublin when it was Kerry who failed to get the ball back. A couple of times when they did try, they managed to cause us trouble and get the ball and break.

Anyway... It's good to see this is the new strawman we have now to deal with for this year.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yes they are different games. However Soccer and Gaelic Football are also different games but what you have now is Dublin playing a brand of possession football like what Barcelona did in soccer.

The problem is in Gaelic Football you can keep it longer using hand passes and fielding. You’ve got Cluxton with pin point kick outs and so the element of 50/50 ball with matched up players around the pitch is minimised.

Dublin have perfected it to their own benefit which is great for them but for neutrals they’re choking the life out of the game. If there’s no compulsion on them to attack they can tip it around the pitch wearing out the opposition and killing the game, which would be normal with a few minutes left but if it’s happening with 20 minutes left then you’ve got a serious problem with Gaelic Football as a spectacle.

Did you come away from that game yesterday and the first day out thinking it wasn't a great game or enjoyable?

That’s what I said a couple of pages back. Yes it is radical, and we know the GAA are notoriously resistant to change, but yes a shot clock is necessary In Gaelic Football now. Otherwise as a spectator sport it’s dead.

Loads of spectators there yesterday had a great day. Why do people constantly look for something to moan about after a spectacle like that?

Where were you last week with your shot clock ideas? Jesus.

• Advertisement

If they do nothing it’s dead. The game is evolving as all games do, the GAA are usually to slow to keep up with the game evolving.

I think you should go back to watching more soccer.

How you took "Gaelic football is dead" from yesterday is beyond me.

I'm sure you'll stick around for the rest of the year to tell us more of your ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

Some ****e about COC being spouted here (and I'm a Dubs fan)

Rank Player Team Scores Tally Games Era Average

1 Cillian O'Connor Mayo 25-298 373 55 games 2011- 6.8

2 Colm Cooper Kerry 23-283 352 84 games 2002-2017 4.1

3 Mikey Sheehy Kerry 29-205 292 49 games 1973-1988 6.0

4 John Doyle Kildare 8-260 284 67 games 1999-2014 4.2

5 Pádraic Joyce Galway 12-229 265 66 games 1997-2012 4.0

6 Bernard Brogan Dublin 21-197 260 59 games 2006- 4.4

7 Paddy Bradley Derry 17-202 253 44 games 1999-2012 5.8

8 Steven McDonnell Armagh 18-197 251 67 games 1999-2011 3.7

9 Maurice Fitzgerald Kerry 12-205 241 45 games 1988-2001 5.4

10 Conor McManus Monaghan 7-227 248 56 games 2005- 4.5

11 Brian Stafford Meath 9-206 233 41 games 1986-1995 5.7

12 Oisin McConville Armagh 11-197 230 52 games 1994-2008 4.4

13 Jimmy Keaveney Dublin 15-182 227 42 games 1964-1980 5.4

14 Dean Rock Dublin 9-199 226 41 games 2013- 5.5

15 Peter Canavan Tyrone 9-192 219 58 games 1989-2005 3.8

16 Sean Cavanagh Tyrone 9-181 208 89 games 2002-2017 2.3

17 Michael Murphy Donegal 4-195 207 54 games 2007- 3.7

18 Colin Corkery Cork 5-182 197 32 games 1993-2004 6.2

19 Ross Munnelly Laois 6-174 192 74 games 2003- 2.6

20 Dara O'Cinneide Kerry 11-149 182 54 games 1995-2005 3.4

The stats speak for themselves. How a top scoring player is not considered as a top player by some people here is beyond me.

Yep. They need to do something about it. A shot clock was my suggestion but they need some kind of mechanism to force/encourage a team to continue to attack even when they’re ahead to make it more possible and frequent for turnovers of possession.

This is literally the first time that "keep-ball" has become the cry of the pearl clutchers. And you're making out it's been and ongoing problem for a long stint that "they" need to do something about "it".

Holding the ball with a couple of minutes left is natural. Holding the ball with 25 minutes left kills the game for spectators, for TV companies. Contrast with hurling which is a brilliant end to end game. Gaelic Football just mimicking soccer isn’t the way to go if they care about the game being attractive for viewers and supporters.

Did you watch the AIH final? It was dire.

fergus1001 wrote: »
    both teams were as guilty as each other on this and ruined the game for us neutrals

Oh my God, quick, get onto Peter and Jim and tell them they ruined the game for ye.

That's a cast iron motion for Congress right there.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    If holding on to the ball is so easy then why don't other teams do it more.

I'll tell you why, it's incredibly difficult to do it and is easier to have lads fall back into a blanket defense. It takes a lot of movement and skill to hold on to it for 3 minutes in a game.

It also needs to be said that the onus is on the defending team to win it back not be gifted it by a stupid shot clock or other such drivel.

You want the ball, earn it. Push up, tackle hard, take chances, track runners etc. It's not rocket science.

Perfect retort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Is there no thread on here for the Ladies championship? Huge crowd at the finals today.

Obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Seadin

Anyone know in the rte montage after the Saturday game about the dublin five in a row. There is a clip of cluxton wheelan and alan Brogan watching and involved in a training session. Anyone know what year that was taken? Cluxton looked very young in it, im guessing early 2000s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Seadin wrote: »
    Anyone know in the rte montage after the Saturday game about the dublin five in a row. There is a clip of cluxton wheelan and alan Brogan watching and involved in a training session. Anyone know what year that was taken? Cluxton looked very young in it, im guessing early 2000s?
    Back in the amateur days. Leinster was something else back then.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Back in the amateur days. Leinster was something else back then.

Between 1998 and 2006 i be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

As always your posts make no sense and end in disappointment :pac:

Not sure about that. I think I made an impression on the Bonnie Situation there:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Did you come away from that game yesterday and the first day out thinking it wasn't a great game or enjoyable?
    Loads of spectators there yesterday had a great day. Why do people constantly look for something to moan about after a spectacle like that?

Where were you last week with your shot clock ideas? Jesus.
    I think you should go back to watching more soccer.

How you took "Gaelic football is dead" from yesterday is beyond me.

I'm sure you'll stick around for the rest of the year to tell us more of your ideas.
    This is literally the first time that "keep-ball" has become the cry of the pearl clutchers. And you're making out it's been and ongoing problem for a long stint that "they" need to do something about "it".
    Did you watch the AIH final? It was dire.

Here Bonnie. I saw some of the Womens Gaelic Football game there. They have hooters to call time, they're more advanced than the mens game. All they need is a shot clock and they'd be making huge advances.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Seadin wrote: »

I think I know when it was it was from a behined the scenes documentary back in 2005 when Pillar Caffery was in charge - "The Dubs: The Story of a Season"

On RTE player still -

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/the-dubs-the-story-of-a-season/76848680330

Also on a facebook page -

https://www.facebook.com/HumansofGAA/videos/documentary-the-dubs-the-story-of-a-season/1623506171101474/

To be honest even as Dub I found it a bit embarrassing at the time - as Dublin got thier own documentary, but had really done nothing to deserve it.
    I remember they had the players nicknames in brackets in the captions.
    Stephen Cluxton 'Clucko' etc :o

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I think I know when it was it was from a behined the scenes documentary back in 2005 when Pillar Caffery was in charge - "The Dubs: The Story of a Season"

On RTE player still -

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/the-dubs-the-story-of-a-season/76848680330

Also on a facebook page -

https://www.facebook.com/HumansofGAA/videos/documentary-the-dubs-the-story-of-a-season/1623506171101474/

To be honest even as Dub I found it a bit embarrassing at the time - as Dublin got thier own documentary, but had really done nothing to deserve it.
    I remember they had the players nicknames in brackets in the captions.
    Stephen Cluxton 'Clucko' etc :o

Pillar did alot of damage to Dublin at the time i thought. They were dark days for Dublin football. His handling of the 2006 semi against Mayo summed him up for me. He shouldered one of the mayo selectors when mayo warmed up in front of the hill. He should have got on with business and beat Mayo on the scoreboard. He was beaten before the ball was thrown in.

Gilroy came along then and made a great job of the team. He was very likeable modest and with a few years of heartache he got them over the line in 2011 and set up some of the platform for Gavin to continue on with the success. They are the best team now ever to play the game. Not only have Dublin a great team they have a genius of a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,854 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Here Bonnie. I saw some of the Womens Gaelic Football game there. They have hooters to call time, they're more advanced than the mens game. All they need is a shot clock and they'd be making huge advances.

A shot clock?
    Jaysus, the odd shot or two would have been an improvement today nevermind a clock :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think football is fine way it is. Like why try punish the team that was not sitting back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

JRant wrote: »
    A shot clock?
    Jaysus, the odd shot or two would have been an improvement today nevermind a clock :)

Dublin scored 1 - 17 from play. I won't embarrass you by stating where that stands statistically in the records for finals.

You ought to do some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,241 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bonniedog wrote: »

How ironic.

Dublin scored 1 - 17 from play. I won't embarrass you by stating where that stands statistically in the records for finals.

All teams would put 15 men behind ball with shot clock.

It’s a absurd suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think football is fine way it is. Like why try punish the team that was not sitting back

Unless they limited the amount of players a team could keep back beyond a certain point of the pitch. A shot clock is more than likely going to backfire.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Unless they limited the amount of players a team could keep back beyond a certain point of the pitch. A shot clock is more than likely going to backfire.

True

Let’s say we had a shot clock yesterday, and let’s say you could only have 10 players in own half.(insert how many ya like)

The game yesterday would have been over after 20 minutes.

That strategy actually helps the Dublins rather then so called weaker teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

How ironic.

I seem to recall you saying a while back that nobody wanted tickets for the final, and that nobody was really interested in watching it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

second this your forwards shouldn't be able to come back beyond mid field, stop blanket defenses, all teams are guilty of it at this stage including the dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

That strategy actually helps the Dublins rather then so called weaker teams.

well It does help weaker counties since dublin would no longer be able to put all men in front of the ball when other teams are attacking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,241 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I seem to recall you saying a while back that nobody wanted tickets for the final, and that nobody was really interested in watching it :)
    You seem to have confused me with somebody else.

Regardless, why not check again which game the poster was actually referring to.

Advertisement