Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replay: All Ireland SFC Final Dublin v Kerry Saturday 14/09/2019 @ 6pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Advantage doesn't mean that you can commit a foul, technical or otherwise. If a player is fouled but can continue, the referee plays advantage. If, while that advantage is still being played, the player overcarries (or indeed commits any other foul), the referee should call the play back and award the free for the initial foul. Just like in rugby where a player can't simply chuck the ball forward because the referee is playing advantage.

I am not disagreeing that he took the steps.

All I am pointing out is that the incident was in keeping with how Lane reffed the rest of the game. In the first half, Dublin should have had a penalty for a foul on O'Callaghan, a free for another foul on him and another free for a foul on Kilkenny. All were pretty straight-forward for me but Lane let the game flow.

Dublin didn't get a single free inside the Kerry 45, not even sure if they got a free in the Kerry half. An awful lot was let go, so singling out the Murchan goal paints an untrue picture of the game. If Lane had blown it up, he would rightly be accused of gross inconsistency.

The first thing you ask of a referee is consistency, and he was certainly consistent in letting a lot go. Did that make for a better game? Quite possibly. While there was a lot of off-the-ball blocking and checking, that is hard to police at the best of times, but there was a huge total from play. There was also very little playacting. Apart from one Kerry player going down holding his head when the tackle was elsewhere, nobody was trying to systematically fool the ref.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Hammer, while you are technically correct it rarely is punished. Yes he overcarried, but if we analysed every carry by every player on Saturday it would probably be 50% of them.
    That is true. But while you'd expect 6 - 8 steps to be let go, Murchan did take a huge number of steps to be fair. He traveled from the edge of the D to the 13m line (20 metres) after his final hop. I've seen "12 steps" being mentioned as well but haven't counted. If a player was to take that many steps when he wasn't at full tilt, you'd expect him to be called up on it.

Regardless, the goal stood and the number of steps taken shouldn't take away from the fact that it was a phenomenal run and an even better finish with the outside of the boot, completely wrong footing the keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

Pretty lame euphemism for a player who is frequently just a dirty player tbh.

Do you really think that a guy "who is frequently just a dirty player" would have lasted this long in what is probably the most competitive senior GAA squad in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It was 9 max with 5 to 6 when jersey was being pulled on him.

He did foul, but was also fouled. I think the advantage within reason stood to to attacker.

I see both sides of argument here, but this whole he took x amount of steps is bit too simplistic, although that was only from post while back

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

yobr wrote: »
    Do you really think that a guy "who is frequently just a dirty player" would have lasted this long in what is probably the most competitive senior GAA squad in the country?

Yeh, if he gets a job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It was 9 max with 5 to 6 when jersey was being pulled on him.

He did foul, but was also fouled. I think the advantage within reason stood to to attacker.

I see both sides of argument here, but this whole he took x amount of steps is bit too simplistic, although that was only from post while back

Steps is a very important discussion, questions need to be asked, such as how many steps did he take on the way up to collect Sam ? :eek:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

The goal will stand and will be a part GAA folklore for many moons no matter how much we debate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

Steps excuse has me yawning. It is never called up, you'd swear that some of you were watching your first game of football. Kerry goal last week was minimum 6 steps.

If Lane was in the mood to blow for the foul on Murchan, he would have blew for the penalty for Con in the first half, and Moran goes on a black card. Wouldn't have changed the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Pretty lame euphemism forback in noughtie a player who is frequently just a dirty player tbh.

Any inter county team with ambitions is going to have lads who have a bit of badness in them. Kerry were not behind the door in that respect, and young David is no shrinking violet!

Your own county had some charming young men over the years too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

sk9 wrote: »
    Steps excuse has me yawning. It is never called up, you'd swear that some of you were watching your first game of football. Kerry goal last week was minimum 6 steps.

If Lane was in the mood to blow for the foul on Murchan, he would have blew for the penalty for Con in the first half, and Moran goes on a black card. Wouldn't have changed the game.

Just to correct you here - it wouldnt have been a black card as he didnt pull the player to the ground.
    Same with the O Callaghan foul in the first half - people afterwards were saying it should have been a black but it wasnt as the puller wasnt pulled to the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Any inter county team with ambitions is going to have lads who have a bit of badness in them. Kerry were not behind the door in that respect, and young David is no shrinking violet!

You seem to be on a one man crusade to build this inaccurate picture of Clifford as being dirty - it's quite entertaining to watch.

And I wouldn't be on here calling them 'gentlemen' either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭robbiezero

sk9 wrote: »

Nobody is making excuses or arguing that had it been blown that the result would have been different, its just a discussion of aspects of the game, no need to be defensive about it.
    I remember a similar incident that had quite a big impact on the game in 2009 hurling final where Richie Power was followed and over-carried to win a penalty.

You seem to be on a one man crusade to build this inaccurate picture of Clifford as being dirty - it's quite entertaining to watch.

I don't believe I mentioned him in that respect?

Wasn't claiming he is dirty, but that he is no different to other top players in that he can give as good as he gets. And probably has needed to since he was a young fella,

Only recent players I can honestly say I never saw engaged in such have been Bernard Brogan and the Gooch, And both have been well protected, but also seemed to have the sort of personalities to basically ignore anyone trying to get into their face. And of course usually did their talking on the scoreboard.

Yeh, if he gets a job done.

But how could he get a job done “if he was just a dirty player” surely to be part of a team that has won multiple league and championships, you need multiple attributes as a player?

ps. I know the answer here....

But how could he get a job done “if he was just a dirty player” surely to be part of a team that has won multiple league and championships, you need multiple attributes as a player?

ps. I know the answer here....

Here is what I said:
    If he can't win by fair means he will resort to unfair ones. Fact of life with Johnny I'm afraid.

...and Copper is well known for it around the counties that have played Dublin.

Name as many other players as you wish, it won't change that, sadly.

Here is what I said:

...and Copper is well known for it around the counties that have played Dublin.

Name as many other players as you wish, it won't change that, sadly.

I always find with you Francie that when you stop answering the direct questions that your argument has disappeared. Anyway its matters not, i’m off to watch Saturday’s match again, you keep trolling away. Night now.

I always find with you Francie that when you stop answering the direct questions that your argument has disappeared. Anyway its matters not, i’m off to watch Saturday’s match again, you keep trolling away. Night now.

When somebody uses the word 'frequently' in future, maybe don't ignore it to make up something to have a moan about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

robbiezero wrote: »
    Nobody is making excuses or arguing that had it been blown that the result would have been different, its just a discussion of aspects of the game, no need to be defensive about it.
    I remember a similar incident that had quite a big impact on the game in 2009 hurling final where Richie Power was followed and over-carried to win a penalty.

Not defensive mate no doubt it was steps. Some people on here just seem determined to put an asterisk beside this Dublin team with microanalysis

When somebody uses the word 'frequently' in future, maybe don't ignore it to make up something to have a moan about.

I’ve nothing to moan about as a Dublin supporter i’m having the time of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

Pretty lame euphemism for a player who is frequently just a dirty player tbh.

Meh you dont become a top defender by being a choir boy.

Coopers no different than Paudi O'Se, sure opposition will dislike him while his own love him. His medals speak for themselves.

I’ve nothing to moan about as a Dublin supporter i’m having the time of my life.

Well, you have spent plenty of time trying to deflect from the point. And all you guys seem able to counter with is, 'sure yer man over there is as bad'. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the win, but don't be inventing myths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ah, in fairness, they were only little steps :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

robbiezero wrote: »

Refs are human , even the best will make mistakes, its part of the game and you have to deal with it. Con coulda had a penno also but hey these things usually even out. Ref made no difference yesterday, you could argue he let too much go but it made for a fantastic 1st half particularly.

Once Lane set out his stall the players responded. Both sides could have complaints about decisions but he was more or less consistent.

Not sure what the free count actually was, but must nearly have been lower than the hurling final which in itself would be pretty rare if not unique. I remember doing stats on a game 6/7 years ago and there were nearly 50 stoppages apart from kick outs and line balls, Those days are gone thankfully.

Also helped that no-one was acting the bollix. I can't think of any player who went down other than for a legitimate reason. If the game is played in that spirit then ref can mostly leave the whistle in his pocket and let them get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well, you have spent plenty of time trying to deflect from the point. And all you guys seem able to counter with is, 'sure yer man over there is as bad'. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the win, but don't be inventing myths.

Myths?
    Cooper got sent off the last day for niggly fouls. There wasn't a bad stroke in all his tackles and in all honesty while he does play on the line he is not a dirty player. He just does what every other intercounty defender does, only better, very similar to keagan.

Yet the one player who pulled on a lad trying to lift the ball, lead with the forearm into a defenders head and gave another lad a box is definitely not a "dirty" player, no siree.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

The constant debate over which team has the dirtiest players has to be one of the most boring and dumb conversations in gaelic football.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Also helped that no-one was acting the bollix. I can't think of any player who went down other than for a legitimate reason.

Clifford.

Lane actually kept Kerry in the game in the first half, handed them scorable frees for borderline infringements. Different story at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Ah jaysus lads the match is done and dusted..... Dublin won... it wasn’t decided by any one refereeing decision... Dublin were better... our Kerry boys will have learnt a lot....

Cooper I think is made out to be dirtier than what he actually is... people see him with this big serious face on him and think he’s a prick... he seems to piss people off like Paul Galvin used to years ago... I haven’t seen anyone stretchered off the field because of something he did so he obviously isn’t that dirty....

The steps thing the Gaa will have to look at... everyone is over carrying the ball these days in my view.. in both hurling and football... DJ Carey scored 30 championship goals in his time... he def overcarried for 90% of them...

Anyways like I said match is done & dusted... hopefully he experience will stand to our lads and the Dubs might b happy with there lot!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Interesting that we saw two very different styles of refereeing between the two games. Gough refereed the first game by the book, whilst the replay saw a lot more discretion being used by Lane.

Had Lane reffed the first game, I reckon Dublin would have won handily as Cooper would not have walked.

Advertisement