Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindhunter [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Did you see the episode where
    she went to check and the food hadn't been touched by the cat, but was covered in larva 🤮 and she dropped it and left the cellar.
    So I assumed that that was the end of the cat story.

Thanks for clarifying. I must re-watch season 1. A previous poster mentioned it was obviously touching on Wendy's empathy issues, I am fully nodding to this.
    For me the biggest part of the cat story was that we never actually saw the cat, I don't think she did either. It was like she was feeding something out of curiosity itself. It is a very mysterious sequence within the show for me. Maybe I am massively overthinking it however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying. I must re-watch season 1. A previous poster mentioned it was obviously touching on Wendy's empathy issues, I am fully nodding to this.
    For me the biggest part of the cat story was that we never actually saw the cat, I don't think she did either. It was like she was feeding something out of curiosity itself. It is a very mysterious sequence within the show for me. Maybe I am massively overthinking it however.

I thought at the time it was to show how isolated Wendy was after leaving both Boston and a relationship with her very controlling partner, to come work for the FBI. She was reaching out to make a connection with... something? Its not like either Holden or Tench are friendly and fluffy. ;)

She seems to have more of a connection with both Tench, and Greg this season. Holden, not so much. I don't think Wendy likes Holden, as a person, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I am rewatching both seasons.
    S1E8 currently, noticing more characteristics this time around.
    Loving it, still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

AulWan wrote: »
    I thought at the time it was to show how isolated Wendy was after leaving both Boston and a relationship with her very controlling partner, to come work for the FBI. She was reaching out to make a connection with... something? Its not like either Holden or Tench are friendly and fluffy. ;)

She seems to have more of a connection with both Tench, and Greg this season. Holden, not so much. I don't think Wendy likes Holden, as a person, at all.

I am not going there, lol.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AulWan wrote: »

Holden would be a good candidate for study in of himself, and Carr has the most rigourous academic background of the main three. Hard not to imagine she has already sized up Holden's patterns and behaviour as something unique, and potentially subversive. Not quite setting a serial killer to catch one, but a person with enough outlying personality that Holden can spot and fall into step with these killers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What I love about this show is the performance of the guys doing the murderers. The guy who played Kemper sent shivers down my spine but special mention goes out to Speck and Son of Sam

Just watching an episode now where they're interviewing a guy called Pierce and your man plays it brilliantly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What was the point of the whole story with the son? They could have illustrated the pressures of combining the job and personal life in a more subtle way. And the wife was a pain in the ass. Hopefully she stays gone in season 3.

Disconnection.

Connections/disconnections are a main theme. The agents travel all over the country to make connections with serial killers, to gather data (with varying success), to educate and apply their findings to current crimes. Factor in the other stuff like selling behavioural science in wider Bureau/DOJ circles to keep Gunn happy and get more resources. See the local politics in Atlanta too. They inevitably become disconnected from their own personal lives as connections to the cases/data pick up - about the only thing Holden seems to connect to, tbh! At one point Tench says something like
    "I can't get inside his head" when referring to his own son. Not to mention, he can't get through by phone to Nancy by phone in the finale and he arrives back to an empty nest. Or even Wendy throwing in a personal story into one of the interviews which her peers felt was good because it got some data. She mentioned homosexuality being removed from the DSM, but can't get personal in the basement/case room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Any word on season 3? I see Fincher wants to make 5 series.

The guy (William Junior Pierce) that could speak 7 languages including Libyan was brilliant.

Great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Any word on season 3?

Not that I can see.

But after a quick look to find out.. I found out Holden is Kristoff in the Frozen Universe.. so now.. Everyone can know that Holden is Kristoff in the Frozen Universe! :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=490195&stc=1&d=1567989206attachment.php?attachmentid=490197&stc=1&d=1567989249

Slydice wrote: »
    But after a quick look to find out.. I found out Holden is Kristoff in the Frozen Universe.. so now.. Everyone can know that Holden is Kristoff in the Frozen Universe! :)

He's a bit of a fixer upper all right!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm surprised at all the negativity for season 2, I am absolutely loving it, had to ration my watching the weekend to get another 2 nights out of it. I seem to be alone but I'm enjoying it more than Season 1 as I feel we already know them and are getting into the nuts and bolts of how BAU came about.

Cannot believe he is Kristoff! I know every feckin line of Frozen (cause of smallies) :)

He is also Jesse St James from Glee. Wrap your head around this....

(advance to 36s)

Mindhunter is a real departure for Jonathan Groff, and shows how good of an actor he is, because up until now, most of his career has been on Broadway.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Finished season 2.....

Really good show. Final episode season 2 was gripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Jut half way through season 2. Great show!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Jut half way through season 2. Great show!

yeah, very good show. 3 episodes left to watch in this season. The actors playing the murderers are great. Love those interviews. Tench's son's story's a bit on the strange side but does add to the Tench character. Looked it up there and it is based somewhat on a real event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Enjoyed the season a lot but ended up fast forwarding the lesbian story by episode 8, such a boring part of a great show.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Enjoyed the season a lot but ended up fast forwarding the lesbian story by episode 8, such a boring part of a great show.
    I guess the point that they were making was that, by the standards then, she was a sexual deviant, hiding her sexual preferences to people close to her and finds it difficult to hold a steady relationship.
    But yeah, it dragged on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Corvo

Finished this last night. The first three episodes really hooked me and its no surprise that David Fincher directed those. I enjoyed it but I can't say I enjoyed it as much as S1, for a number of reasons.

However after that I feel it all got a bit messy. The Atlanta murders were just not as intriguing from the behavioural science point of view (for me). Whilst obviously a large case, it just wasn't what I enjoyed about the Mindhunter series so far. I understand it can't all be interviews as that would not work either but I feel it strayed away from what made it great all the same. There seemed to be a lot of things going on at once and they weren't really tying together.

Why was Fordes panic attacks not explained further?

The plot around Tench's kid was fine if a little boring, but it was made a whole lot worse by the terrible acting from Stacy Roca as Nancy Tench.

Why did we require the Wendy love story at all?

Why include the BTK killer, who evaded capture for over 20 years? Will his storyline only become relevant to the team in many series to come?

I'll probably give the entire series a rewatch at some stage and see how it stacks up then. I'll admit it would have been hard to hit the great heights of S1, where Ed Kemper stole the show.

I couldn't take to the actress who played Wendy's love interest, (I can't recall her name).

I felt like there was a distinct lack of chemistry between them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I thought season two was much better than season one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I thought season two was much better than season one.

I'm going very slowly through it tbh myself but apparently it's got better reviews.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

loved the bit in 8 where they catch Wayne Williams! I knew it was coming as had listened to a podcast on him but was still great!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Loads of spoilers in there. Quite interesting that some of the more absurd stuff is based in reality.

Just finished season two. It was more interesting than the first season, not that the first season was bad, season two just went a lot deeper. Wendy's story seemed to run out of a steam towards the end and I felt a bit sorry for Gregg being left behind. Tench is a boss. The look he gave Ford when Ford described Wayne Williams as thinking he's smarter than everyone else was brilliant. Ford's a good character too. I don't think he's quite as aloof as he's made out to be, his brain just seems to be working on so many different levels.

Re the BTK killer:
    Given that he went off the radar in the 80's and wasn't caught until 2005, I can't see there being anything else to go on there in the next season. I imagine they might go on the hunt for someone like the Green River killer. The last season puts the timeline in 1981 so Bundy and Gacy are already behind bars. They could be potential interviewees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭De Bhál

finished it last night.

Great show - last few episodes were great trying to catch Wayne.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why include the BTK killer, who evaded capture for over 20 years? Will his storyline only become relevant to the team in many series to come?

.[/QUOTE]

I think they included BTK to show that the realness of it all , that not all killers are caught and some can avoid the police and FBI for years ,

Recommend anything similar anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Recommend anything similar anyone?

Manhunt Unabomber

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Manhunt Unabomber
    Seconded!

Manhunt Unabomber

Seem it though. A cracker all right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Any word on season 3? I see Fincher wants to make 5 series.

Nothing concrete. Article on Digital Spy a few days ago suggested he's back on film duties, Mindhunter might go on the backburner.

Advertisement