Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindhunter [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just finished it there, probably the quickest I ever got through a series, but it didn't blow me away.
    It felt like it took a while for it to settle, initially there was so much going on it felt like it didn't know what it was focusing on. I know the show does like to give snippets of lots of different serial killers but it felt like it didn't really tie together this year.

It started to take shape a bit when it decided to focus on the Atlanta child murders and I enjoyed that story line, but even then it felt like there were some silly side stories that went nowhere. What was the point in Webbs character this season and her love affair with the bar woman?! It literally went nowhere. Then the whole story with Brian being involved with the murder of that child etc felt a bit pointless, it has potential to lead to something in future series I guess.

I don't think any of the characters are particularly likeable either and find it hard to warm to them at times. The topic of the series is interesting but the delivery is patchy at times I think, in fairness I would watch another season of it but not as good as last season IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Great season. The kid freaked the life out of me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I don't think any of the characters are particularly likeable either and find it hard to warm to them at times.

Ye I hadn't noticed that before. I haven't finished the series but ye they're not likeable.

My favourite is Bill Tench though that might be my own bias 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Started on this yesterday, am loving it!
    Absolutely hooked.
    Thank you all for recommendation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watching the first 3 episodes of season all of which were directed by Fincher makes me wish he would go back to making movies it is now 5 years since Gone Girl his last film.

10 films in 27 years the same as Tarantino both 56 such a shame they don't have a higher output.

With Fincher on board, he was on House of Cards too, it's a wonder Netflix don't do director commentaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

Just finished it there, probably the quickest I ever got through a series, but it didn't blow me away.
    It felt like it took a while for it to settle, initially there was so much going on it felt like it didn't know what it was focusing on. I know the show does like to give snippets of lots of different serial killers but it felt like it didn't really tie together this year.

It started to take shape a bit when it decided to focus on the Atlanta child murders and I enjoyed that story line, but even then it felt like there were some silly side stories that went nowhere. What was the point in Webbs character this season and her love affair with the bar woman?! It literally went nowhere. Then the whole story with Brian being involved with the murder of that child etc felt a bit pointless, it has potential to lead to something in future series I guess.

I don't think any of the characters are particularly likeable either and find it hard to warm to them at times. The topic of the series is interesting but the delivery is patchy at times I think, in fairness I would watch another season of it but not as good as last season IMO.

Same here seems to keep me intrigued but not enough to blow me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

The first time Gunn & Carr meet in S2 made me so happy - September & Olivia Dunham reunited from Fringe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sarri_ball

Phenomenal show. One of the best ever I think. And that was a brilliant season. It's been 2 years season 1 that I've been as enthralled in anything.

I don't understand people complaining about the ending.
    This is all based on real life events. It would've been worse for them to drag it out under those circumstances.
    Cannot wait for the BTK story-line to develop next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

It was ok, but thought that season was pretty messy. It's like they had filmed a number of different storylines and didn't have enough time to flesh them all out, so just hastily edited them together as best they could.

A couple of plot points kind of went nowhere, prime example being
    Holden's panic attacks - he was popping highly addictive tranquilizers like they were skittles, but then it's just forgotten about. I suppose it was just in the story to create tension or something? So the FBI chief could keep telling the others to "keep an eye on Holden, or else."? By the end it may as well not have happened. His panic attacks/drug taking didn't affect his job at all.

Also Bill's constant
    ditching work to be with his family, then promptly ditching his family to go back to work for no real reason... Jesus man, make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,409 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With Fincher on board, he was on House of Cards too, it's a wonder Netflix don't do director commentaries.

That's actually a very good point Netflix have brought on board some great filmmakers to make stuff for them commentaries would be a great addition to the service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Highlight for me was Manson and Berkowitz. Both actors did a fantastic job and that's where the show really shines in my opinion. The Atlanta storyline was very good as well but felt a bit contrived at certain points, especially regarding the mother of the missing kid and the hotel worker. Both characters actually felt two dimensional. Knew the moment Holden met the mom how she was going to act throughout the series and I wasn't far off. Overall I thought it was still excellent. Very close to season one but just too much chopping and changing with the pace. Especially with Tench's son and Wendy storyline.

My only real criticism was actually the actor for Tench's wife Nancy. She just isn't very good. I could hear certain parts of her accent slipping so I guessed she wasn't American (And she isn't) but mostly she was just over the top in everything she said and done. Didn't seem like I was watching Mindhunter but some daytime soap when she was on screen alone. Didn't notice it for the first season because she doesn't have as much screen time but was defintely more obvious this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

AMGer wrote: »
    The first time Gunn & Carr meet in S2 made me so happy - September & Olivia Dunham reunited from Fringe :)

Thats where i know from him from. He's a little bit chunkier than his time on fringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What was the point of the whole story with the son? They could have illustrated the pressures of combining the job and personal life in a more subtle way. And the wife was a pain in the ass. Hopefully she stays gone in season 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

3 episodes into 2nd second season and its so boring so far. Wendy is such a pointless annoying character. What has her lesbian dating life to do with serial killers? Just irrelevant box ticking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

argh! catch-up mode

2.1:
    Panic Attack
    season.. this can't be good. Everything looks set to
    push Holden into repeated encounters where he will panic
    . I dunno.. unless
    he's most ok in the interview rooms knowing he's in full control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What was the point of the whole story with the son? They could have illustrated the pressures of combining the job and personal life in a more subtle way. And the wife was a pain in the ass. Hopefully she stays gone in season 3.

I'm only on episode 6 of season 2 but it does seem
    very contrived how Tench's son just happens to be involved in a murder that is so relevant to the work he is doing.

I was hoping it would all makes sense at the end of season 2 but sounds like it doesn't. I find the scenes like at the FBI retreat particularly grating when director Webster says something like how troubled kids are lost causes and will be like that forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

where are they going to to go with the
    BTK killer seeing as he isn't caught until the noughties?

Skerries wrote: »

I'm curious about that as well seeing as
    the real FBI guys that Bill and Holden are playing had both retired by then

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why all the spoiler tags for very basic things? Makes thread really hard to read

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why all the spoiler tags for very basic things? Makes thread really hard to read

And it's doesn't matter whether you've watched on ahead or not, you still read them :)

• Advertisement

2.2: Still a bit of the
    Panic Attacks
    on the radar but certainly looks like
    Holden feels right in control in a holding cell / the pressence of tench / a situation where he knows the prisoner is controller
    . This episode is feeling like they are trying to get me thinking
    Tench and his family are at risk
    .. a little like how episodes in season 1 (the cat food scene) had me thinking similar about Carr.

Look to the thread titles. The ones with something like "** Spoilers **" are where spoilers generally show up without the tags.

Skerries wrote: »

Maybe they have some bigger storyline involving him but I think they partly chose him as an ongoing feature because it highlights the need at the time for profiling.

Remember when they were training others in the first series and the guys just didn't seem to have any insight into the motives etc but with him, he was writing letters to the police so he would be a clear case that would prove a very valid reason for their work if that makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's just a little deference to others for a streaming show, where not everyone's watching at the same pace, or prefer to binge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's just a little deference to others for a streaming show, where not everyone's watching at the same pace, or prefer to binge.

I get it but why go into a thread about a show if you haven't watched it?

It's just that I find that many people put spoiler tags on things such as historical documented fact that does not need to be tagged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's just that I find that many people put spoiler tags on things such as historical documented fact that does not need to be tagged.

Can't speak for everyone, but with a show released all in one go, people watch at different rates, and may want to discuss or add some thoughts as they watch. It's a dead thread otherwise if we all just wait 'til we're done before posting.

Fair enough re. historical notes: I think if something's in the public record it probably can't be considered a spoiler in the truest sense.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Can't speak for everyone, but with a show released all in one go, people watch at different rates, and may want to discuss or add some thoughts as they watch. It's a dead thread otherwise if we all just wait 'til we're done before posting.

Fair enough re. historical notes: I think if something's in the public record it probably can't be considered a spoiler in the truest sense.

As the show closely follows historical fact any posts that mention what happened historically can spoil the show for those who have not reached that point in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Exactly I purposely stayed out of this type of thread where all episodes are released in one go by the likes of Netflix or Amazon.

I thought overall this was no way near as good as Season 1 with some pointless side stories.
    Hope if there is a Season 3 it gets close to the high level set by Season 1.

Exactly I purposely stayed out of this type of thread where all episodes are released in one go by the likes of Netflix or Amazon.

Yea I'd just stay out of the thread if spoilers bothered me. Luckily they don't as I practically grew up on them since my brother could or even can't keep his mouth shut :D

I use to like The Walking Dead forum and thread with each episode discussed freely. I know it's different because people watch Mindhunter at different times but it's a bit annoying having to put spoilers everywhere and it stops the flow of conversation. Plus as mentioned before some factual things in the show I wouldn't have even thought were spoilers.

2.3: :D

Oh eh..
    and still Holden with the potential Panic attacks

but no really.. that bar scene :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I don’t think any of the lead characters are likable. The guy that cracked up a bit is very strange, sometimes I feel he’s got more in common with sick psychopaths than everyday people and that isn’t a good thing.

Advertisement