Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindhunter [Netflix]

Options

Comments

Seeing the murders would make it a different show (and there's plenty of those around) - this is taken from the viewpoint of the detectives, which works better as we see what they see - if we saw the murders, even if they hid the killer, it would change that dynamic.

I like it a lot. I loved True Detective s1, but stopped watching half way through s2 as it was so dire.

BTW, who's the guest star among the photographers, spoiler it obviously. But, for those of us too lazy busy...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Cina wrote: »
    You can't just jump into the midway point of a show like Mindhunter and form an opinion based on that. it's a dialogue heavy, character driven show that you need to watch from the start to get into. Why would you watch the Manson episode over the first episode in order to gauge whether you'd enjoy it? That's bizarre.

You can get a sense of the pace of a show by picking any random episode so I picked one that had a subject matter that I'd be interested in.

Did the same with GoT... picked a random episode from season 4... found it intriguing so stopped it and started from season 1

Anyway yes, I did find it to be dialogue-heavy, but little action outside of this... actually it's pretty much all just dialogue would that be right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I spotted that and it actually annoyed me , I know it was only a second but it was something that the camera hadn't down before and I felt it was a bit to obvious,

I don't think it was obvious enough, given that it didn't register with many people on first watch. Given that it proved one of Holden's theories, it was kinda important to the plotline.

I actually had a "wait... was that?" moment on my first watch, and went back to confirm what I thought I'd seen.

I agree with the person above who said they would have liked more Holden this year, he did feel like more of a side character then the lead. It felt like Holden was the main character in Season One, and that switched to Tench in Season Two.

Maybe next Season it will switch to new dynamic duo of Wendy and Greg :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

BTW, who's the guest star among the photographers, spoiler it obviously. But, for those of us too lazy busy...
    Wayne Williams

AulWan wrote: »
    Wayne Williams

Gotcha :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Re: the "guest star", I twigged it because
    the actor is a dead ringer for the real Wayne Williams. Don't think I'd have noticed him otherwise. Actually, most of the killers have been uncannily like their real life counterparts.

Re: the "guest star", I twigged it because
    the actor is a dead ringer for the real Wayne Williams. Don't think I'd have noticed him otherwise. Actually, most of the killers have been uncannily like their real life counterparts.

I recall reading a bit of CGI involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I recall reading a bit of CGI involved.

That makes a bit more sense alright, I thought SOS had some soft edges, for want of a better phrase!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Can’t understand people coming into a thread asking about a show to see if they might like it. Christ just watch the trailer and go from there.

Can’t understand people coming into a thread asking about a show to see if they might like it.

Really, I thought that'd be a top reason for coming into a Television forum.

• Advertisement

Christ just watch the trailer and go from there.

True Detective Season 2 had a great trailer.

Look how that worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

mrcheez wrote: »
    judging by the slow plodding response to my question I'm going to assume the answer is "Yes"?

In my opinion, and I loved both seasons, you'd be missing out on so much by not watching from S1, Episode1.

We see the characters developing, changing based on their personal experiences and relationships.
    Their interviewing skills with the different criminals differ as the seasons progress, their techniques vary as they gain confidence and see success/failure.

And I think the background relationships are important too, as they're relevant in how the different personality traits develop.
    Not just the main characters either.

Start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sarri_ball

Jesus. Just watch the bloody show from the start and give it a chance like a normal person. I doubt anyone is very invested in deciphering how much you might enjoy it.

Sarri_ball wrote: »
    Jesus. Just watch the bloody show from the start and give it a chance like a normal person. I doubt anyone is very invested in deciphering how much you might enjoy it.

Hate to see the troll infestation leave AH. It was good when it was quarantined.

Hate to see the troll infestation leave AH. It was good when it was quarantined.

Indeed, noticed this recently in other forums. Have the AH crew suddenly discovered the Boards homepage or something rather than jumping straight to AH?

Or is it just with school/uni starting back they're getting more agitated?

In my opinion, and I loved both seasons, you'd be missing out on so much by not watching from S1, Episode1.

We see the characters developing, changing based on their personal experiences and relationships.
    Their interviewing skills with the different criminals differ as the seasons progress, their techniques vary as they gain confidence and see success/failure.

And I think the background relationships are important too, as they're relevant in how the different personality traits develop.
    Not just the main characters either.

Start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start.

Cool I'll give it a shot so... just another question I had, is it all based on real encounters, or mostly dramatised?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

True Detective Season 2 had a great trailer.

Look how that worked out

I really liked season 2, thought it was better than season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

Seeing the murders would make it a different show (and there's plenty of those around) - this is taken from the viewpoint of the detectives, which works better as we see what they see - if we saw the murders, even if they hid the killer, it would change that dynamic"

Couldn't agree more. The crime scene photos along with day to day scenes with the killers works better than dramatized murder scenes.

Cool I'll give it a shot so... just another question I had, is it all based on real encounters, or mostly dramatised?

Both.
    I googled this week, and some of the interviews are exactly as originally recorded.
    Obviously fiction has its part too.

I won't post links because I'd ruin it.
    I started watching it last week based on reviews from boards, and watched both seasons back to back, and now I'm heading back to the 70s to murder Nancy and marry Bill Tench.
    And get my hair permed.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Holy sh!t what an amazing second season. I utterly adored everything about it.

There has never been anything like this show. The way it gets under your skin with genuine creepiness is second to none.

On another level to most shows in so many ways. Such a complex way of filming as well. Fincher is a true great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I wonder who will be the main killers in the next series,
    On the board they have in there basement of people they want to interview I seen the name Wayne Gacy, I think that be a great place to start next season ,

I wonder will they retouch on Ted Bundy or just leave him out giving the amount of shows about him of late,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There was a reference to the east area rapist/golden state killer and knowing a lot about that case I'd like to see it. We'll probably have BTK storyline running for a while. There's so many famous ones from that era to choose from they're spoilt for choice.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Bill Tench reminds me a bit of the bear in the big blue house ,particularly how he moves but totally still would!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think the direction of Andrew Dominak has gone under the radar also. He directed episodes 4 and 5. He has directed cool movies in his time.

I am going for a total re-watch now.

One thing that is bugging me however is
    Wendy's cellar cat she was feeding in series 1. This did not seem to be finalised or touched on in season 2? Maybe they are dropping this plot or keeping it as a slow burner for future seasons, either way it would have been nice to have seen a reference in s 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Actually only on Episode 4, taking my time on this one, given the pace of the show. Only thing to add otherwise is ... ... goddamnit Gregg. You really are the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Wendy's cellar cat she was feeding in series 1. This did not seem to be finalised or touched on in season 2? Maybe they are dropping this plot or keeping it as a slow burner for future seasons, either way it would have been nice to have seen a reference in s 2.
    they might but I don't think there was much more to it. She had just split from her girlfriend and was living on her own. She's quite cold more so in series 1, and I think she was just empathizing with the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

This was recommended to me by Netflix because I've watched loads of true crime stuff.

I found it to be quite slow at the beginning but it's grown on me a lot. I'm familiar with the stories of a lot of these murderers so it is really interesting for me. It's great to see them piece together the pieces and get the odd killer too. I saw a comment above which said it's a good show because it shows the detective side and I'd agree with it.

I'm working my way through season two now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Interesting article regarding one of the subplots in season 2. Do not click link if you have not finished season 2.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/netflix/mindhunter-season-2-subplot-brian-tench-418547/?=1&fbclid=IwAR207eAfC237Xdi4xLArzmqeYYZh59wfD4MiSsUNqnllv3UdkTrn3T7q7O4

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think the direction of Andrew Dominak has gone under the radar also. He directed episodes 4 and 5. He has directed cool movies in his time.

I am going for a total re-watch now.

Did you see the episode where
    she went to check and the food hadn't been touched by the cat, but was covered in larva 🤮 and she dropped it and left the cellar.
    So I assumed that that was the end of the cat story.

• Advertisement

Did you see the episode where
    she went to check and the food hadn't been touched by the cat, but was covered in larva 🤮 and she dropped it and left the cellar.
    So I assumed that that was the end of the cat story.

Truth be told the cat was a bit of a Diva, always turning up late, never knowing her lines, I mean how hard is it to remember to 'meow'. After the ninth time they were late on set the director said he couldn't work with them.

And then there was the furballs, but that was not the main reason.

Advertisement