Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindhunter [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Not getting season 2 at all. Only highlight was a brief scene with Kemper. That guy is a phenomenal actor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Nothing concrete. Article on Digital Spy a few days ago suggested he's back on film duties, Mindhunter might go on the backburner.
    Saw this too. It mentioned it could be up to 3 years before we see another season- IF we get another season! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Manhunt Unabomber

I watched this based on a recommendation from here.

It was okay.
    I felt it was very much an acted series, whereby I thought that Mindhunter flowed effortlessly.
    Wasn't a fan of the actors either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

fin12 wrote: »
    I really liked season 2, thought it was better than season 1.

Totally agree.

We appear to be in the minority.

I thought this season was exceptional and superior to season one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Finally finished season 2 there. Didn't enjoy it as much as the first. Felt very dragged out and a bit flat right to the end.

Sinners is quite good for anyone looking something investigative and unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agree.

Thread needs vote!!

I thought 2 was better. His auld doll in 1 was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Any updates on season 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agree.

Absolutely. Loved season one, but season two was on another level. The team are more established and putting the work from season one into the story of season two.

Well paced, great performances and love how BTK is going on the background.

Hope they go with BTK for season three. Would hate for it to be something else and then not get a fourth season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Just finished season 2. Brilliant tv. Pity about the wait for season 3

Loved how season 2 finished with the symbolic shirt cleaning like season 1 started

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im liking the second series but they should dump the whole family drama especially with the kid, not believable and totally contrived, a jarringly weak part of an otherwise solid show

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

silverharp wrote: »
    Im liking the second series but they should dump the whole family drama especially with the kid, not believable and totally contrived, a jarringly weak part of an otherwise solid show
    Yeah- it has the feel of trying to add depth to the character in a subject-matter related way that seems a bit forced. A backstory increasing a character's conflict is one thing, but this seems artificially introduced, in order to reflect the nature/nurture theme explored in the show.

I know some people have dropped out of the show in the second series, but it still is fascinating. Obviously, 'serial killers'- a neologism within the show- have existed for a long time, but there is an interesting evolving dynamic at play. As society has become more complex, and more atomistic, serial killers would seem to have a much easier chance of getting away with their activities than they would in smaller, more tight-knit communities. With advancing technology and procedures of recognition, it should be easier to find them; hence 'pattern killers', the original moniker. But what the series shows is that when communication is poor, thanks to racism or other barriers to communication (or even caring), there is more freedom for them to roam. This nascent evolving dynamic is very interestingly portrayed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Yeah- it has the feel of trying to add depth to the character in a subject-matter related way that seems a bit forced. A backstory increasing a character's conflict is one thing, but this seems artificially introduced, in order to reflect the nature/nurture theme explored in the show.

I know some people have dropped out of the show in the second series, but it still is fascinating. Obviously, 'serial killers'- a neologism within the show- have existed for a long time, but there is an interesting evolving dynamic at play. As society has become more complex, and more atomistic, serial killers would seem to have a much easier chance of getting away with their activities than they would in smaller, more tight-knit communities. With advancing technology and procedures of recognition, it should be easier to find them; hence 'pattern killers', the original moniker. But what the series shows is that when communication is poor, thanks to racism or other barriers to communication (or even caring), there is more freedom for them to roam. This nascent evolving dynamic is very interestingly portrayed here.

some interesting elements all right, the clash of police cultures, the local politics getting in the way.I did like when the boy's shrink and social worker's interest perk up after they found out what the father's job was whereas he is just so matter of fact about it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Finished season 2. Can't shake the feeling of frustration towards the end, but then that's one of the two main elements of the seasons; the changing of policing ways by using apparently unorthodox methods, and the barriers set up against them - bureacracy, politics, racism and plain old inertia. The first season dealt mainly with the former element, the second with the latter, so inevitably the second season was going to slow the pace somewhat, though the last 2 episodes picks up the pace, leading to a well-rounded finale.
    It's unshouty unpreachy approach was as methodical as the vanguards of profiling were: not everyone's cup of tea, but a thoughtful cuppa for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

silverharp wrote: »

I kind of thought the same but got some recourse from discovering this storyline is also based on a true events. The real child's name is Noah Alba. And while it may seem a little contrived being in Mindhunter, it adds another layer of character to Tench as he's learning about psychopaths and he's wrestling the notion that maybe his son is.

It's quite brilliant really because we're the viewers and we see everything and the writers built up this amazing tension because we know Tench is actually experiencing this domestic issue that's so close to the bone. There is one scene where Tench is in a conversation with the others about the murders but whatever Tench is saying, he's getting a different perspective because of his son. So, in the room with other detectives, he's talking about murderers in general but as the audience we can kind of deduce that he was actually talking about his son.

Also, just found out after I finshed Season 2 that Tench's wife is the Tim's new love interest/new girl in The Office. Is that weird? Did anyone else spot this? For moment I thought it wad the actress that plays the prosecuter in the OJ Simpson drama on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Thing with the child is awfully done, music gets "spooky", like they're dealing with a demon child or something. Way over the top. Demerit.

Holden's subtly being annoying, but charming to a degree, is out the window. Over egged the annoying factor. I think you could still have the plot results the same but they seem to have caricatured him too much. Stripped him of all likability. Demerit.

Neutral to Wendy's story. No complaints.

Like a lot of these series, season 1 has a solid premise and probably needs to impress at script level to even get made. A season 2 is a "oh, season 1 did well better keep the show on the road". I find it a weaker season overall, still enjoyed it but a definite dip for me at least.

Season 1: 8/10
    Season 2: 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,030 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just finished series two tonight, and I didn't notice any drop off in quality. Gripping viewing with some moments of dark humour interspersed. It has been mentioned before, but the casting of the murderers is incredible.
    Really enjoyed the "chase" of the Atlanta killer, and genuinely cheered when they got Wayne on the bridge (having read about the real-life story on wiki)

Could take and leave the Wendy love story-didn't really add anything to the whole show. Bill's family situation was difficult but the conclusion was sign-posted a mile off.

I usually find crime shows "samey", but this is on another stratosphere IMO. Great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Holt McCallany (Bill Tench) is on Ray D'arcys TV show tomorrow night. Going by Ray mentioning it today I'd doubt he's seen it. Its on too late for him I think. Or too scary.

Can't find it mentioned here or elsewhere, but there's a programme about Kemper on Sky Crime called "Kemper on Kemper: Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Can't find it mentioned here or elsewhere, but there's a programme about Kemper on Sky Crime called "Kemper on Kemper: Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer."

Is it possible to get it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Is it possible to get it online?

Yes, now tv.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Seems to be available on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhymeWhynot

Love the show but just cannot take BTK seriously due to how he ended up being caught, it was like something from a sitcom. Wayne Williams is guilty of most of the murders imo but questions have been raised down through the years over some of the murders being the work of other people but lumped in with the series of Atlanta killings.

Poor Bill needs the valium, not Holden. The poor man is on the verge of a heart attack which may happen in S3.

Don't care for the lesbian love affair but I understand how the show needs to highlight the strain the work they do has on their private lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhymeWhynot

Heckler wrote: »
    Holt McCallany (Bill Tench) is on Ray D'arcys TV show tomorrow night. Going by Ray mentioning it today I'd doubt he's seen it. Its on too late for him I think. Or too scary.

Bill smokes too much, did Ray give him a lecture on it? Tell him to take up porridge and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I want to know what happened the cat from the first season

Had to switch it off after 15 mins. A load of talking heads commenting on what Kemper confessed in interviews and previous documentaries, followed by 10 second snippets of him saying those exact words. Awful format, especially considering the footage they have. If they'd just aired the actual interviews in full with little to no commentary it would have been brilliant.

Pretty inexcusable to have so little airtime of Kemper himself with all that footage at your disposal, and then pad the whole thing out with "coming up on 'Kemper on Kemper'......." and soundbites of bits to come in the same documentary!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't care for the lesbian love affair but I understand how the show needs to highlight the strain the work they do has on their private lives.
    My take on it was that it was showing that she, as head of an office that researched perverted and criminal behaviour was involved in what US law had decided was illegal because of its pervertedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My take on it was that it was showing that she, as head of an office that researched perverted and criminal behaviour was involved in what US law had decided was illegal because of its pervertedness.

It was not illegal to be a lesbian in the US at the time the show is set. I dont think it was ever illegal in the US, the same as it was never illegal here or in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It was not illegal to be a lesbian in the US at the time the show is set. I dont think it was ever illegal in the US, the same as it was never illegal here or in the UK.

That is probably true. But any form of homosexuality in government jobs would have received less tolerance. Your talking about a time when Women had terrible workers rights and in many cases homosexual practices may not have been tolerated. The show is definitely conveying this with her lifestyle plot.

In particular she was working in behavioural sciences, who knows what type of prejudices existed at the time in the FBI? Any form of alternative or " deviant behaviours " may not have been seen as being ethical for an investigator. We know that is rubbish, but in the 60's and 70's of conservative America it could well have been an issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The reaction of Greg to Wendy's reveal of her romantic history to a gay serial killer - that he thought it a fake story of sexual deviance to get the killer to open up - was summary enough of the kind of workplace and social prejudices someone like her had to live with in that era. Gay people might not have been illegal as such (though I'm sure there were "sodomy" laws knocking around the Red States), but they also simply didn't exist in the minds of people like Greg; and if they did, they were deviant serial killers that acted as confirmation bias for an unspoken belief that there was something inherently "wrong" with folk like Wendy.

Heck, nevermind homosexuality, Season 2 made it quite clear that the FBI was a golf, cigar & brandy fuelled "Boy's Club", where success and momentum required exactly the kind of brown nosing you could see left Tench uncomfortable (even if he indulged a bit too much than he'd care to admit). It was a regressive, exclusionary atmosphere, all the way to the top.

• Advertisement

Had to switch it off after 15 mins. A load of talking heads commenting on what Kemper confessed in interviews and previous documentaries, followed by 10 second snippets of him saying those exact words. Awful format, especially considering the footage they have. If they'd just aired the actual interviews in full with little to no commentary it would have been brilliant.

Pretty inexcusable to have so little airtime of Kemper himself with all that footage at your disposal, and then pad the whole thing out with "coming up on 'Kemper on Kemper'......." and soundbites of bits to come in the same documentary!

Thanks for the warning; haven't got round to watching it, so I've deleted it.

Advertisement