Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratings Discussion Thread - Mod Warning #271 (26th June)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Why are you using me admitting I was wrong against me? Yes, I mistakingly had Ticketmaster in my head when that wasn’t the website they used, that’s an okay thing to do. But you were also wrong there, and here. That ticket website is notoriously dodgy, they had massive issues with it for All-In, and Meltzer’s figures are completely made up. It’s not even disputed anymore, it’s accepted fact that he was talking ****e.

Here you said “You think they don’t know how many people are viewing their app?” in a totally patronising tone to that other lad like that was relevant towards ratings. That’s not how ratings work at all. ‘They’ (TV companies) do know how many people are watching on the app (they’re clueless about how many on TV and reliant on Nielsen estimates). But ‘they’ don’t supply that info to Nielsen to use for ratings. The article you linked to explained how this worked. You also said “Ratings have never been more accurate.” Also untrue, it’s the exact same system, just now they also include apps. It has the exact same margin of error and proportionality though because the system itself hasn’t changed. It’s measuring the same proportional amount of people’s habits, same as it ever did. So you’re being a dick to someone while linking to things that don’t prove the point you’re making.

I’m not trying to be an authority. I’d love if you knew what you were talking about and we could have a reasoned discussion about this. But it’s like listening to a taxi driver analyse an MMA fight by saying “He shoulda just swung a dig and knocked him ouh”: every second thing you’re saying is like “That’s not true, that’s not true, that’s KINDA the case but he doesn’t know how it works and is just guessing” etc. And I’m trying to fill you in. You’re right, I’m not an authority on this stuff. But I have taken time to learn how it works because it interests me away from wrestling. So when you say things like “They know how many people are viewing the app” and I know that to be totally irrelevant...should I just let you waffle on and feel like you’re right while you’re putting down someone else and doing the thing you’re accusing me of?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Meltzer’s figures are completely made up. It’s not even disputed anymore, it’s accepted fact that he was talking ****e.

You seem to think an award winning sports journalist who teaches sports business in a University is just making ****e up is a great argument because what he reports doesn't suit you.

Show me the proof where he was proven wrong and made up everything for the last 40 years.

You said that Nielson don't include app viewers in their ratings. You "patronised" me with your "where in the jaysus did you hear that"

Then I showed you an article from 6 years ago where they talked about how in fact they do. And have been doing so for 6 years.

Yet still, somehow, I'm wrong and you're right.

Comparing me to a taxi driver yeah? Because you're "in the business" is a ****ing joke.

Ignore list for you where you belong.

Who said anything about me being ‘in the business’?! I specifically said I’m not an authority in my very last post like, you’re making it about that yourself now. It isn’t a battle, you’re right vs I’m wrong. Grow up and have a civil conversation: you said something that showed you didn’t understand how the system worked and yelling the words 6 YEARS another 25 times won’t change that. Just own it and stop with the tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I remember that time when you were completely ****ing wrong about those ticket numbers. And even admitted it.

But somehow I wasn't able to prove it and went on the attack, when I proved it, and it was quite a simple thing to do. Even though you called me a liar about it.

You need to stop being such an authority on everything as you just believe what you want to instead of facts, and everyone who thinks otherwise is stupid or a liar.

He's not an authority. He's a wanker that is onine because no one wants to listen to him "in real life". An absolute pure tosser that has nothing of note to add.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

He's not an authority. He's a wanker that is onine because no one wants to listen to him "in real life". An absolute pure tosser that has nothing of note to add.

mod note: this is the last warning I am giving for abusive insulting language/ posting like this. Does not matter if you were the person warned previously or not this type of posting is not allowed and infractions or bans will be given out if it doesn’t stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

This thread is the pits.

It's come out that WWE has lost 52% of it's teenage viewers since 2017.

That means they are attracting zero young fans which also would mean eventually nobody will be left watching.

They need to change pretty much everything to get back on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's come out that WWE has lost 52% of it's teenage viewers since 1997.

That means they are attracting zero young fans which also would mean eventually nobody will be left watching.

They need to change pretty much everything to get back on top.

I don't understand this statistic, can you link to the source.

Do you mean if they had 100 teenage fans in 1997 that of those 100 only 48 or so are still watching

Or

The number in the teenage demographic has dropped by 52%? Which doesn't mean they have attracted zero new fans, it would mean they are attracting substantially less

Sorry it should be 2017. I don't know where 1997 came from!

Bryan Alvarez on Wrestling Observer Live was talking about it last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Saw that cited as why they made more Heyman-esque (well they were all just said that they were due to his creative return) changes like letting Cory say sh!t on air or the whole Maria angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Saw that cited as why they made more Heyman-esque (well they were all just said that they were due to his creative return) changes like letting Cory say sh!t on air or the whole Maria angle.

They clearly saw the "It hits the fan" episode of South Park & are running with saying sh*t to draw in viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Sure teenagers are only mad for cuckolding storylines and bad practical effects.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Sure teenagers are only mad for cuckolding storylines and bad practical effects.

And librarians. Da kidz sure love dem librarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

It'll take a bit more than saying 'sh*t' to add grittiness to the product. It's a step in the right direction, but Graves said it with all the badassery of the Teletubbies. Zero intensity at all. Should take a leaf out of the Joey Styles book of commentating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

https://whatculture.com/wwe/variety-calls-out-vince-mcmahon-over-excuses-for-poor-wwe-ratings

Vince McMahon will have to stretch his excuses to the absolute maximum if he's to explain WWE's constant decline at the end of Q2, says a piercing analysis by Gavin Bridge of Variety.

Back in April, the chairman blamed the company's disappointing Q1 financials on "superstar absences", with the implicit suggestion being that investors could expect numbers to rebound once sidelined stars returned to action.

As Bridge meticulously details in his analysis, McMahon won't be able to lean upon this excuse for the continued poor Raw and SmackDown ratings in 2019's second quarter.

According to the study, seven of the stars listed amongst the Q1 absentees have made at least 12 appearances in Q2. Bray Wyatt - one of the only extended missing persons of Q1 - has since appeared on nine episodes of WWE TV.

The two exceptions are Sasha Banks, who has not featured since her post-WrestleMania walkout, and Dean Ambrose, whose contract expired in April.

WWE will have to go some way to explaining how Q2's issues are entirely down to the lack of Mox and The Boss.

De facto top draws Roman Reigns and Becky Lynch have each made at least 20 appearances in this period - more than usual as a function of the ludicrous 'Wild Card' rule introduced earlier this year. Nevertheless, ratings have continued to decline.

Last month, an increasingly desperate WWE dramatically hired Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff as real-life Executive Directors on Raw and SmackDown respectively. The move was tactictally timed to help stock prices rebound ahead of the Q2 earnings call.

Such a move demonstrates that, internally at least, McMahon knows he has a problem. When he meets investors in three days time, he may be left with no choice but to admit it publicly for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Vince, Trips & Steph have all sold a ball of shares ahead of announcing the Q2 Financials Report

https://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-executives-sell-stock-ahead-of-financials-report/

I wish wrestling had a single journalist knowledgeable enough on stock market movement to analyse the strategy behind that. Was it to create buyer urgency to inflate the numbers? Was it a cash grab while stock was high? We’ll probably get loads of “lol even the McMahons are jumping off ship” reaction instead and it’ll just get forgotten about, when there probably is an interesting and telling story there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Like all trading companies in the event you’re going to post below expected Quarter results you sell stock while it’s at its highest point.

No doubt they still did well prob just slightly below projections.

And the level of stock they sold is nothing to raise eyebrows at. They can make a handsome profit and if stock tanks they can buy some back at a lower price at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If my time watching Trading Places has taught me anything it's that if they knew for a fact the price of their stock was going to drop leading them to sell, that would be considered insider trading, which I believe is illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I reckon they're shifting restricted stock units. Basically for most major companies a large chunk of your pay package comes in the form of RSUs. Now you can't sell these any time you want, you have to wait for them to vest at which point you can sell them. I'd bet they're just offloading those and the window may have just opened up for them to do so. The windows can be short and once it closes, you can't sell until the next window again which can be months away.

• Advertisement

Got better analysis here than I did in the 15 articles I checked out looking for something significant, which were all the PWInsider article copied and pasted. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

An overall profit increase of $86,500,000 from the last quarter, from $182,400,400 to $268,900,000 in just 3 months mainly due to the Saudi money. I'm sure they were asked about ratings and attendance being down but overall I'd imagine the investors were happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Autecher wrote: »
    An overall profit increase of $86,500,000 from the last quarter, from $182,400,400 to $268,900,000 in just 3 months mainly due to the Saudi money. I'm sure they were asked about ratings and attendance being down but overall I'd imagine the investors were happy with that.

stock is up this morning which tells you investors are somewhat happy with what there seeing. Investors call later will delve more deeper into the negatives i would imagine

Still though...dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,299 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RAW average ratings down 14% from last year.

Smackdown average ratings down 11% from last year.

Consumer products (Merch) down 13%.

Network subs down 6%.

Live events revenue down 7%.

North America live events attendance down 2%.

International live events attendance down 14%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

RAW:

8pm: 2,407 million
    9pm: 2,324 million
    10pm: 2,233 million

Down 700k from last week/the same time last year

SD:

1.91mil viewers

Down 250k from last week
    Down nearly 500k from this time last year

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

1118oq1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,299 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So RAW this was the second lowest non holiday rating in the shows history.

Austin wasn't the draw they hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Maybe he needs to do more stunners & have more beer baths as he hadn't done either for nearly 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

To be fair, he was probably brought in due to the ticket sales for MSG and on that, it seems to have worked.

Raw was up against the 1st monday night football of the season, ratings for this raw was always going to be low

Advertisement