Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratings Discussion Thread - Mod Warning #271 (26th June)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

leggo wrote: »
    Okay. Remember when you post the screenshots to change your Mam’s name at the top to ‘Totally Real Wrestling Fan Friend’ or we’ll know.

Ok so, now I'm a liar to fit your narritive, I see.

Pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Loughc wrote: »
    Either are any of us to be fair.

Would never be so arrogant to claim that I was. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

ERG89 wrote: »
    Its more a huge exercise in wasting ones time, a sad way to spend a weekend.

It’s getting me through my final shift in work to be fair. I’m going to be off for a couple of weeks then starting a new job with no phones allowed so apologies lads, you’ll have to entertain yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

J. Marston wrote: »
    This thread started Wrestling Forum: Civil War.

Thread got me feelin' like...

wcw-wrestlewar-91-19910224-011.gif?w=1100

Who has the beer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Now Omackerals turning heel? :eek:

Are there any good guys left on PW Boards?

Omackerel is having a breakdown.

There has been more than one breakdown in this thread to be fair, multiple ones from one person in particular.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Would never be so arrogant to claim that I was. ;)

Either did leggo ;)

Necro wrote: »
    Now Omackerals turning heel? :eek:

Are there any good guys left on PW Boards?

Having a complete Meltzdown alright. You'll love the storyline redemption arc though, ratings will soar.

• Advertisement

I think when a wrestling fan goes crazy it’s called a Meltzdown actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

leggo wrote: »
    You also said that WWE are dying and are in a conspiracy with YouTube to beat Being The Elite though. You say a lot of things man, I’m sorry.

lol, no I didn't.

I said before that they could just buy the views.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote: »
    Having a complete Meltzdown alright. You'll love the storyline redemption arc though, ratings will soar.

As long as it doesn't involve smiling and collar flicking your way through a promo then I'm down with that :D

Loughc wrote: »
    Either did leggo ;)

Some things don't need to be said. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Necro wrote: »
    As long as it doesn't involve smiling and collar flicking your way through a promo then I'm down with that :D

Ah c'mon, there's gotta be at least collar flicking..

This thread really has been the Total full package.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Ah c'mon, there's gotta be at least collar flicking..

Imagine flicking this collar, you'd take off

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Imagine flicking this collar, you'd take off

giphy.gif

No rocket necessary :pac:

I think when a wrestling fan goes crazy it’s called a Meltzdown actually.

I was mistaken in thinking AEW sold via Ticketmaster, that was lodged in my head for whatever reason, it seems they sold via a known dodgy in-house system for the venue.

That isn’t to take anything away from them, the demand is still incredible and even if they’re working the figures, that’s part of their job, but the point still stands that if you believe a PPV headlined by Hangman Page had a higher demand than Hogan/Andre or anything in the Attitude Era you’re kidding yourself. At least Bix has the cop on to ask questions.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1142809698795741190?s=21

• Advertisement

They opened up new sections for ticket's for Fyter Fest yesterday.

I suppose that's fake too?

lawlolawl wrote: »
    They opened up new sections for ticket's for Fyter Fest yesterday.

I suppose that's fake too?

You’re literally arguing with me for the sake of it now. I come onto the thread to say I was mistaken with something I said and you still reply within minutes trying to argue with THAT.

Get something better to do with your time man, I’m not the reason you’re angry. :pac:

Stomping Grounds with tarped off sections last night. So hot right now.

Bi8Qpbt.jpg

Stomping Grounds with tarped off sections last night. So hot right now.

Bi8Qpbt.jpg

Strange you should use that phrase because people in the arena said it was sweltering because the curtains blocked the air flow through the building :)

The estimate was somewhere around 6000 attendance. This was with 2 for 1 tickets.

Strange you should use that phrase because people in the arena said it was sweltering

Maybe the bloke in the middle of that picture with the Seahawks wooly monkey hat should have taken it off so!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ok, so the ratings are on a downhill slope. Paid attendances at PPVs are way down (seeing 4k - 4.5k paid for that last show). Last night's Raw, huge portions of the seating area in the arena were tarped off.

WWE have been here before. But now, things are different, and i'm not talking competition from other companies. The entire consumption model has changed. People just aren't watching TV anymore, things have moved to streaming. They made a great move in launching the Network, but in my opinion, they are missing a huge trick in not offering a tiered model, whereby you can opt to pay extra for live Raws & Smackdowns.

Now, granted, financially, they are not in trouble. That huge deal with Fox is indiciative of that. However, Fox are not dopes. If the WWE are not pulling the figures they want, there is bound to be a failsafe built into that massive countract, whereby the relationship can be terminated early.

To my mind, the main problem with the company is Vince. He's past his time, and needs to go. This is a publicy traded company - why can he not be voted out or removed as CEO? He's a raving lunatic, and his "solutions" to boost ratings are not working.

His latest thing now, is that wrestlers will not wrestle during commercial breaks. So, here comes the 2 out of 3 falls matches. A live report from last night's Raw details that during breaks, wrestlers come out to cut promos, or adverts are shown live in the arena, or (and this is the dumbest **** i've ever heard), if a match happens to be ongoing, the lights over the ring go out, the competitors stand around doing nothing, and then recommence when they're back live). Vince has chosen this path becuase other sports like Football don't have action ongoing during commercial breaks. Ya, the same Vince that has labelled wrestling "not a sport" for years, banged the drum of Sports Entertainment, and has attempted to remove all reference to "Wrestling" or Wrestlers from the product.
    The Undertaker
    came back last night to save Roman Reigns. This was never explained. We all know its an attempt to boost the ratings, but if people are just gonna start showing up out of the blue for no reason, it's going to be counter productive.

I haven't watched a Raw or Smackdown for at least 5 years. Not by choice mind, but I watched religiously since i was small. Never missed a show. However, I never missed a PPV, and am an active subscriber to the Network since it launched in the US, from Day 1. The last 12 months, I watched 1 show live, and have dilly dallied with the rest. There's nothing keeping me entertained these days, and am seriously considering killing the sub. The only reason I keep it now is for classic content.

I know i'm not in the US, so my not viewing is not counted as a loss in ratings. However, that does not make my opinion of the product any less valid. I'm not going to say WWE are dying, far from it. But there is a cancer, and its in the brain. Its not terminal yet, but it is spreading.

Imagine if Fox pull out of the deal a couple years down the road - what then? Subscribers start to fall off from the Network, what then? More Superstars in Cars shows that nobody wants to see?

Vince needs to go. He needs to start winding down, right now, and preparing those who will take over to do the job.

Vince can't be ousted because the way the shares are structured means that he has around 80% of the shareholder votes.

What will happen is that investors will start dumping the stock if things don't improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Vince can't be ousted because the way the shares are structured means that he has around 80% of the shareholder votes.

What will happen is that investors will start dumping the stock if things don't improve.

Thanks for that Lawl, wasn't sure of how it worked.

Aren't share prices soaring in light of the Fox deal currently?

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I haven't watched a Raw or Smackdown for at least 5 years. Not by choice mind, but I watched religiously since i was small. Never missed a show. However, I never missed a PPV, and am an active subscriber to the Network since it launched in the US, from Day 1. The last 12 months, I watched 1 show live, and have dilly dallied with the rest. There's nothing keeping me entertained these days, and am seriously considering killing the sub.

Gerry doesn't watch anymore so WWE RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Strange you should use that phrase because people in the arena said it was sweltering because the curtains blocked the air flow through the building :)

The estimate was somewhere around 6000 attendance. This was with 2 for 1 tickets.

4000 paid and they gave away 2000 free tickets.

Still pushing Corbin as a main guy for the next show.

WCW/TNA

Advertisement