Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratings Discussion Thread - Mod Warning #271 (26th June)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They also had Baron Corbin beat Kurt Angle in his retirement match. Nobody wanted that, not one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The final number of those who were in the queque and tried to get tickets for All Out on 8/31 in Chicago, the next AEW PPV show, was 72,500 after about 30 minutes, and that is verified as they actually gave people their number in line. Keep in mind a few things about that stat. Some people logged in multiple times. Some of those people were fake. And those who ordered tickets probably averaged at roughly three tickets per order. Based on how quick it took to sell out, how many went through, which factors in multiples and fakes, the actual number of tickets that would have been sold would be just over 130,000. That ticket demand first 30 minutes beat any WrestleMania in history and would be the highest for any pro wrestling show I've ever heard of.

This is Meltzer’s report.

I sell tickets as part of my job (ha ha in Irish pubs, gas). Have had many dealings with Ticketmaster and know how their system works. There’s no way you can get these figures.

You can get the queue figure but that’ll give you stats on how many total tickets were being ordered, so if you’re in the queue and order 3 for you and your mates, that’s 3 towards the 72,500. There’s ZERO way to know if you’re dealing with people through multiple browsers, or friends within the same group booking separately and then taking the first set that become available. If you and I were mates (getting really hypothetical here), how could they know if you’re ordering off your computer and I’m ordering off mine?

The 130,000 figure is just made up. It comes from nothing and there’s no way to get it, if there was he went to such pains to explain his process that he’d have just broken it down. If I was to guess how they got it, I’d say they multiplied the 72,500 by the average 3 tickets per person to get 217,500 and rounded up to 220,000. They probably thought about reporting that but realised it’d sound too ridiculous, so took 100,000 off then added 10,000 to give it ‘the record’. Ticketmaster won’t report the lie, they’ve no incentive to as they make money off every ticket sold, and there’s no way anyone can get into their account without hacking them so we’ll likely never know. Meltzer would have no reason to have access to their Ticketmaster account anyway (if he did it would be a massive conflict of interest that he’s not declaring), so likely just took what they told them and reported it, no questions asked, because they’re his friends.

Also: it’s wrestling and everyone works crowd numbers in wrestling. Why do you assume that Cody ‘Oh that sledgehammer shot wasn’t a dig at Triple H’ Rhodes is the first person to buck this trend?

It's not made up. The 70,000 queue number is real. He's taking into account that maybe 25% of the queue had multiple devices. The average tickets bought on average per person would be 2.5 going by the last show, and that's a generous number. So that's where the number comes from.

Not made up at all.

It's not made up. The 70,000 queue number is real. He's taking into account that maybe 25% of the queue had multiple devices. The average tickets bought on average per person would be 2.5 going by the last show, and that's a generous number. So that's where the number comes from.

Not made up at all.

This is just fan denial.

You don’t even need to understand the Ticketmaster system to answer the next question, just use logic: why would they count the figure of individuals who queued rather than attempted purchases? It’s completely useless and potentially damaging, for example if 70,000 people queued and ordered one ticket each or 10 and you didn’t know, that could lead to you believing they all wanted to order 10, booking a 700,000 capacity venue and going out of business. The only stat that matters to a company is “How many tickets could we have sold?” (Which they know, you have to enter that info before joining the queue) Why would they be lazy about giving you that info while being so precise with giving the queue number??!

I feel like I’m telling you the truth about Santa here. Sorry dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Necro wrote: »
    I found the leaps around the women's main event particularly amusing myself. Seemed to change every week.

I find his overwhelming positivity about AEW nauseating as well. I don't have any issues with the company and wish them well, but there is literally no objectivity from him when it comes to them.

It may work out well, it may not. I'll judge them on their product as it evolves.
    In regards AEW, he can only critique what's been put in front of him which is strong thus far. It's the same in regards to Raw in that he can only critique what's put in front of him which has been overwhelmingly bad. Says it all about the latter when comments on Reddit, Twitter and YouTube are generally unified in saying the story around the joke title is the best thing about the show right now.

Admittedly his links with AEW are blatant but still, that doesn't necessarily suggest he's wrong.

• Advertisement

leggo wrote: »
    This is just fan denial.

You don’t even need to understand the Ticketmaster system to answer the next question, just use logic: why would they count the figure of individuals who queued rather than attempted purchases? It’s completely useless and potentially damaging, for example if 70,000 people queued and ordered one ticket each or 10 and you didn’t know, that could lead to you believing they all wanted to order 10, booking a 700,000 capacity venue and going out of business. The only stat that matters to a company is “How many tickets could we have sold?” (Which they know, you have to enter that info before joining the queue) Why would they be lazy about giving you that info while being so precise with giving the queue number??!

I feel like I’m telling you the truth about Santa here. Sorry dude.

He's using an average of tickets sold per person from Double or Nothing.

It's not hard to understand.

Okay now you’re not only misunderstanding maths but basic English comprehension.

What he’s saying is not possible. No ticket selling company would operate that way and I’m telling you specifically that that company doesn’t. And even if he was doing what you’re saying...that’s still a made up estimate! Your own version doesn’t pass the “Yeah but is it actually true” test! :pac:

What's the problem here? The 70,000 number is well documented, multiple people in the queue posted screenshots. Are you saying that the 70,000 in the queue didn't really want tickets?

It's an estimate. He didn't report is a fact, I fail to see how he's got it wrong.

You're out to lunch.

I can’t keep doing this with you. This has all literally been explained already.

If you’re in the queue and order two and are number 69,000, the person who orders next will be number 69,002, because they’re concerned with how many tickets can be sold, not how many people want to queue. There’s no reason for anyone involved to be concerned with that (at a push Ticketmaster might need to for server space but they could only confuse the customer - AEW in this case - by passing that on instead of actual demand which, again, they know). So the only way 72,500 people queued is if each ordered one ticket each.

That's absolute nonsense. So I'll leave you there.

• Advertisement

Give me one good reason a ticketing website would tell you the amount of people queued and leave you to estimate the amount of tickets you could’ve sold (when you have to input that to join the queue, we’ve all ordered tickets before and done this)?

And no, “But Dave said...” is not an answer.

I'll tell you how, I've asked a few people that were in the queue and they both said that they were never asked how many tickets they wanted before being put in line. That good enough?

Your argument lies in tatters on the floor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Conpletely off topic but now we’re allowed to talk trash about Big Dave Meltzer, my favourite piece from him was after Punk walked out of WWE the next time Raw was in Chicago, Meltzer actually published that there was a 50/50 chance of punk appearing on raw.

**** me that’s keeping every option open right there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

tenor.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Loughc wrote: »
    Conpletely off topic but now we’re allowed to talk trash about Big Dave Meltzer, my favourite piece from him was after Punk walked out of WWE the next time Raw was in Chicago, Meltzer actually published that there was a 50/50 chance of punk appearing on raw.

**** me that’s keeping every option open right there :D

Why, were we not before?? :eek:

I'll tell you how, I've asked a few people that were in the queue and they both said that they were never asked how many tickets they wanted before being put in line. That good enough?

Your argument lies in tatters on the floor.

Okay so first you failed to mention the convenient “my friends said” conversations until now when doing so would’ve, in your view, left my argument in ‘tatters on the floor’?

Secondly, prior to this discussion, you had discussions with MULTIPLE people that went something like:

“I ordered tickets to All Out.”
    “Cool but did they ask you how many tickets you wanted before you joined the queue?”
    “What why?”
    “ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION THIS MAY BECOME RELEVANT!”

And finally, you expect us all to forget ordering through Ticketmaster previously and inputting how many tickets we’d like to order?

This is almost as good as “WWE paid off YouTube so Baron Corbin would have more hits than Being The Elite for the purpose of this really specific conversation.” You lads are quality. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This thread started Wrestling Forum: Civil War.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

J. Marston wrote: »

So who's Cap & who's Tony in this scenario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

And finally, you expect us all to forget ordering through Ticketmaster previously and inputting how many tickets we’d like to order?

When you clicked on the link to buy tickets you were put in the queue before you were asked for any details whatsoever.

I know this because I actually did just that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I call Hulk

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I call Hulk

giphy.gif

They were off world, don't count.

Dibs on Spider-Man :pac:

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    They were off world, don't count.

Dibs on Spider-Man :pac:

Exactly, my absence in the beginning was noteworthy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

This is almost as good as “WWE paid off YouTube so Baron Corbin would have more hits than Being The Elite for the purpose of this really specific conversation.” You lads are quality. :pac:

They're could just buy the views from one of those clickfarming websites.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    When you clicked on the link to buy tickets you were put in the queue before you were asked for any details whatsoever.

I know this because I actually did just that.

You also said that WWE are dying and are in a conspiracy with YouTube to beat Being The Elite though. You say a lot of things man, I’m sorry.

Okay so first you failed to mention the convenient “my friends said” conversations until now when doing so would’ve, in your view, left my argument in ‘tatters on the floor’?

Secondly, prior to this discussion, you had discussions with MULTIPLE people that went something like:

“I ordered tickets to All Out.”
    “Cool but did they ask you how many tickets you wanted before you joined the queue?”
    “What why?”
    “ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION THIS MAY BECOME RELEVANT!”

No, I just asked a few people who tried to buy tickets for the show.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Why, were we not before?? :eek:

Last time I called Big Dave Meltzer out for his bs I was told clearly I know nothing about pro wrestling :(

No, I just asked a few people who tried to buy tickets for the show.

Okay. Remember when you post the screenshots to change your Mam’s name at the top to ‘Totally Real Wrestling Fan Friend’ or we’ll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So who's Cap & who's Tony in this scenario?

Leggo isn't either one anyway.

Leggo isn't either one anyway.

Either are any of us to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J. Marston wrote: »

Its more a huge exercise in wasting ones time, a sad way to spend a weekend.

Advertisement