Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

john boye wrote: »
    Ridiculous yes but what I can't believe is how badly you seem to be taking it.

I’ve edited my last post.

But to honest my reaction is based on being a rugby fan and on the Irish rugby team being professional sportsmen.

The IRFU are a professional outfit and they are going to send the team in the most comfortable manner that is affordable that delivers the team to Japan in the best condition possible.

That would not be through using a short haul aircraft with no onboard entertainment, minimal catering facilities, short haul seats, and with multiple stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

sherology wrote: »
    Someone is gonna get their digital-fingers slapped. Does seem like they've been left off the pricing algo.

Do we know what happens if there are more than '4' transfer passengers (taking AwrSpace seats)? Will they just expand the rows and move priority folks? 1-row seems pretty small/inflexible for first/second wave flights.

Probably operate similar to what BA do, they've an adjustable cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

When do the irish rugby team return to Ireland from Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

liiga wrote: »
    When do the irish rugby team return to Ireland from Japan

Hopefully after the final! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

theguzman wrote: »
    I was thinking it because of the Rugby livery, but I was expecting an answer back of an EI A330 charter to Japan.

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to charter an A330 to bring the team to Japan...?
    This is the IRFU we're talking about not the FAI...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

To be fair I wouldn't have been shocked if EI had cancelled a flight or 2 6 months in advance and sent a 330 to HND/NRT.....or just moved a 757 from SNN to DUB to cover 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI are never going to send a A330 to JP, its just not worth it, as you would fly back empty and then empty back to JP to collect the team.

Planned in advance a A330-300 can take the team on a scheduled TATL flight, these things can be scheduled if known about months ahead, they found 2 A321's for the papal visit for 2 days.

They fly to LHR on one of the two liveried jets and fly with the host nations flag carrier to JP.

JAL are exceptional in economy so I'd expect business class to be outstanding. Far better than BA's offering for a start.

JAL are exceptional in economy so I'd expect business class to be outstanding. Far better than BA's offering for a start.

Wouldn’t be difficult in fairness! Although I believe J on their new A35Ks is a huge improvement. Hopefully it’ll be retrofitted to other types.

On another note, any ideas when the free wifi and booze is being launched in EI long haul Y? It was announced prior to summer season this year no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

AerSpace is set to be expanded I believe down as far as row six on some targeted flights. May also be some change from the complimentary offering in the bia menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Nice video of EI-EDY A330-300 air to air. Not a huge fan of the new livery on the A330 as it's so big but it does look well here https://youtu.be/We1bc1KhVLQ

• Advertisement

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Nice video of EI-EDY A330-300 air to air. Not a huge fan of the new livery on the A330 as it's so big but it does look well here https://youtu.be/We1bc1KhVLQ

A great video, but I really really think they need to put a Shamrock sticker on the outside of the winglets. Come on EI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Shamrockj wrote: »

I'm hoping we get to see the end product of this at some point, they clearly went to the effort of doing some air to air photography for a reason. 

The livery does look nice here, particularly in those front on views. It looks even better on aircraft painted by Airbus, they so far appear to do a better job at painting the new livery to its original specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,230 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Did they paint the registration on the underside of the wing with the old livery?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Did they paint the registration on the underside of the wing with the old livery?

Yes, it's mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

Seen that recent messages are on about livery’s I came across images of Hi-fly’s new paint scheme on their latest A330 neo and I have to say I really like it,I think it’s very modern and eye catching,I’m saying this because something similar on Aer lingus would have have incredible with the shamrock on the tail and as previously mentioned on both sides of the winglets,I’m not a fan of the amount of white on EI’s frames but this is just my personal opinion and I know the livery is a closed book now but just taught I’d mention it seen that there’s a few posts about paint schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Jack1985 wrote: »
    AerSpace is set to be expanded I believe down as far as row six on some targeted flights. May also be some change from the complimentary offering in the bia menu.

What is the general uptake like for it?
    I was on my usual Heathrow - Cork flight last night and the Aer space seats at the front were all empty

Apologies I forgot to load the picture of that Hi-fly 330 neo earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

That filming looks pretty amateur. I can't believe it's other than what a passenger on the aircraft (a Falcon 20, I think) shot while some professional footage of the A330 was being got also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Aer Lingus axing the summer sun routes from Belfast City next year. The daily Faro and Malaga routes have been operated by ASL Airlines 737 for the past few of seasons but with Brexit uncertainty, increased competition from Jet2 and easyJet at Belfast International and some unfavourable reviews this summer, the airline has called time on the routes. 

Aer Lingus will continue to operate Belfast City - Heathrow. 

It comes as Ryanair has all but pulled out of Belfast entirely, more cuts for the upcoming winter schedule announced today and nothing on sale after March 2020, London Stansted is currently operating as a token twice weekly service.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Aer Lingus axing the summer sun routes from Belfast City next year. The daily Faro and Malaga routes have been operated by ASL Airlines 737 for the past few of seasons but with Brexit uncertainty, increased competition from Jet2 and easyJet at Belfast International and some unfavourable reviews this summer, the airline has called time on the routes. 

Aer Lingus will continue to operate Belfast City - Heathrow. 

It comes as Ryanair has all but pulled out of Belfast entirely, more cuts for the upcoming winter schedule announced today and nothing on sale after March 2020, London Stansted is currently operating as a token twice weekly service.

That’s a pity, but I suppose it was inevitable unless they were going to properly commit to Belfast again and base their own craft there, which they aren’t going to to right now for a host of political and commercial reasons.

I’m interested to know, with the into of more 321LR and then doing some morning Euro rotations next summer will frequency be added to other routes such as these from Dublin with the now freed up a320s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

ASL effectively killed off the routes with their unreliability. Any margin that EI had on the routes as a whole was lost with compensation plus the negative feedback etc. Beancounters then determine that a 320 could make more yield deployed ex Dublin rather than BHD and decision made. Sadly its the reality of yield management.

The curfew at Belfast didn't help either with operations

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

basill wrote: »
    ASL effectively killed off the routes with their unreliability. Any margin that EI had on the routes as a whole was lost with compensation plus the negative feedback etc. Beancounters then determine that a 320 could make more yield deployed ex Dublin rather than BHD and decision made. Sadly its the reality of yield management.
    Were ASL that unreliable? I wasn’t aware of issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

airport departure tax puts Belfast airports at a disadvantage of over 58 euro to Dublin for a family of four going on Holiday.
    Simplistic answer: Axe the APD.

Also, here is the schedule of charges for Belfast City:
    http://www.belfastcityairport.com/BCA/files/35/35349154-23f9-420a-8269-ad8939268a13.pdf
    Here is the schedule of charges for Belfast International:
    https://www.belfastairport.com/media/4327/terms-and-conditions-2018.pdf

and Dublin in Euro:
    https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/incentive-schemes/dublin-airport-charges-2019-including-terms-and-conditions.pdf?sfvrsn=31262099_2

Aer Lingus isn't a charity. It has to turn a profit.

ASL's performance wasn't any worse really than EI in terms of ops.

The risk currently of operating a flight from the UK to a EU country not the same as the registry of the aircraft with Brexit is too much, currency risk, extra delays at passport control, paperwork etc.

EI may still (previously held) have a UK AOC which would permit unlimited intra UK flying post Brexit so LHR BHD would be safe

The fun part is EI hold the UK civil service transport contract to Belfast from London so have a huge stream of revenue which can only go up with Brexit and the continued lack of Stormont.

Just been checking the T/A flights today with EI out of Dublin and they were nearly all late leaving,why is that, because it seems a regular enough thing,it’s it congestion in the terminal or out in the ramp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Karl8415 wrote: »
    Just been checking the T/A flights today with EI out of Dublin and they were nearly all late leaving,why is that, because it seems a regular enough thing,it’s it congestion in the terminal or out in the ramp

They are a hub airline means both short/long haul must run together.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

ASL's performance wasn't any worse really than EI in terms of ops.

Indeed.

Summary of known Aer Lingus flights - 1st July to 18th August - where the outbound arrived but the return flight was either cancelled or delayed overnight.

July 2019
    3rd Dublin-Amsterdam-Dublin
    6th Dublin-Milan-Dublin
    6th Dublin-Philadelphia-Dublin
    10th Dublin-Palma-Dublin
    23rd Dublin-Lyon-Dublin
    24th Dublin-Geneva-Dublin
    27th Dublin-Milan-Dublin
    27th Shannon-Malaga-Dublin
    29th Dublin-Malaga-Dublin

Aug 2019
    4th Dublin-Paris-Dublin
    11th Dublin-Milan-Dublin
    12th Dublin-Heathrow-Dublin
    13th Dublin-Boston-Dublin
    17th Dublin-Izmir-Dublin
    18th Gatwick-Knock-Gatwick

Sources: Flightradar24 and http://thelingussource.com/

In addition, they had to hire in Titan Airways aircraft to operate various flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Indeed.

Summary of known flights - 1st July to 18th August - where the outbound arrived but the return flight was either cancelled or delayed overnight.

July 2019
    3rd Dublin-Amsterdam-Dublin
    6th Dublin-Milan-Dublin
    6th Dublin-Philadelphia-Dublin
    10th Dublin-Palma-Dublin
    23rd Dublin-Lyon-Dublin
    24th Dublin-Geneva-Dublin
    27th Dublin-Milan-Dublin
    27th Shannon-Malaga-Dublin
    29th Dublin-Malaga-Dublin

Aug 2019
    4th Dublin-Paris-Dublin
    11th Dublin-Milan-Dublin
    12th Dublin-Heathrow-Dublin
    13th Dublin-Boston-Dublin
    17th Dublin-Izmir-Dublin
    18th Gatwick-Knock-Gatwick

Sources: Flightradar24 and http://thelingussource.com/

In addition, they had to hire in Titan Airways aircraft to operate various flights.

Are you really trying to compare the cancellations of a single aircraft operated by ASL to the cancellations of an entire fleet of aircraft operated by EI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Karl8415 wrote: »

As far as I heard, CBP was mental yesterday, so may have been holding for large amount of pax to board

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement