Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

blackwhite wrote: »
    I didn’t think Ireland was on the list for the Global Entry programme? Need to have UK (or one of the other eligible countries) citizenship

UK & Germany are the only EU countries eligible for GE right now.

Obviously US citizens or permanent residents are eligible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Any idea if it's possible to get the UK background check for Global Entry if you're Northern Irish but have been living in Ireland for 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

MJohnston wrote: »
    Any idea if it's possible to get the UK background check for Global Entry if you're Northern Irish but have been living in Ireland for 10 years?

What passport do you carry?

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/international-arrangements/registered-traveller/citizens-united-kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

blackwhite wrote: »

Irish, but I'm entitled to a British one too, although I've never seen the need. But getting access to Global Entry would certainly be a game changer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

MJohnston wrote: »
    Irish, but I'm entitled to a British one too, although I've never seen the need. But getting access to Global Entry would certainly be a game changer

Cost would be approx €220 ($100, plus £42 for UK vetting and £75 for passport) - as well as still needing to have ESTA in place.

Would want to be travelling a lot to make it worthwhile IMO - the cost of getting a UK passport is a big element of the overall cost.

Can't see anything in the guidance that states UK residency is a requirement BTW - just citizenship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Positively Orlando grows from 4 to 6 weekly next summer, with MIA returning to 3 weekly. It’s an extra 3 weekly flights overall to Florida, a long time coming for MCO that route is a goldmine for EI.

Yes, I flew to MIA in late May and returned to DUB in early June and flight was full both ways. It seemed a lot of passengers were non-Irish and also not typical Yanks so it may appeal to a lot of transit passengers from Europe and South America going each way. Glad to see these newer routes to untypically Irish diaspora destinations are doing so well for our flagship carrier!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

ohigg84 wrote:
    Sad to see the 757s go.

ohigg84 wrote:
    I was too.. When will LRB be ready?

LRB due to deliver on the 19th of Sept I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

El Al posts moved to the DUB thread

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Heard this week that the Leap Engined A321 is not performing as well as expected and the Lingus/IAG beancounters disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mikel97 wrote: »
    Heard this week that the Leap Engined A321 is not performing as well as expected and the Lingus/IAG beancounters disappointed.

A statement like that needs something more than third party "Heard..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Waffle- the thing runs on the smell of jet A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mikel97 wrote: »

Still has to be a lot more efficient than a creaky old 757!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

duskyjoe wrote: »

Yes that what I taut also. I was bit surprised when a Lingus pilot said it to me when I ask was it as good economy as 7Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Haven't there been leap engined Neos in IAG for years now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

IAG has been flying the LEAP-1A engine for over year via British Airways and Iberia so they already have a lot of data on its performance prior to entry into service with Aer Lingus. The only new data that Aer Lingus operations may be providing is how its performing on the longer transatlantic sectors. All indications from the outside is that it's doing very well.

IAG has a split engine order on their A320neo family aircraft, the CFM LEAP-1A has been selected for Aer Lingus, British Airways and Iberia while Vueling gets the Pratt & Whitney PW1100G engine. The CFM offering is by far the more reliable of the two while the PW engine is said to be marginally better in terms of fuel consumption. 

Lufthansa, a PW operator, has given a mixed response to the new engine citing reliability concerns, the engine start up issues that plagued the power plant early on but also says it's fulfilling it's 16% fuel savings promise. Avianca which operates the LEAP has had nothing but praise for their engine choice, claiming a great entry into service and fuel savings of 15-20% in cruise which they describe as being "huge" on flights longer than 4hrs. 

I would take any talk of the engine being "disappointing" with a big pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

With the first NEO in service, has a 757 left?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Not yet...end of October for the first one to go I believe....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

I've now seen and heard that EI are less than impressed with the Leap in 4 different places. Some of those 4 could be discounted as unreliable though but some I would call reliable. Could just be stories growing legs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

I've certainly heard that the takeoff performance off runway 28 in Dublin is not quite up to what was expected, that they will need to wait until 28R is open in order to make full use of the aircraft's capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There were plans for parallel 3500m runways as long ago as 1968, is there any benefit in going longer than what is being built at 10L/28R?

489547.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

There were plans for parallel 3500m runways as long ago as 1968, is there any benefit in going longer than what is being built at 10L/28R?

489547.jpg

Yes this has been answered numerous times in the Infrastructure thread. I already threw this one way off a few days ago with El Al (Mea Culpa) so won’t answer again here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

duskyjoe wrote: »

There's a lot more to be factored into the equation from a 'Bean Counters' point of view, fuel performance is just a small part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

NH2013 wrote: »
    I've certainly heard that the takeoff performance off runway 28 in Dublin is not quite up to what was expected, that they will need to wait until 28R is open in order to make full use of the aircraft's capability.

A narrow body is performance limited on 28?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

NH2013 wrote: »

A very quick search elsewhere suggests that a MTOW take off needs between 7500 and 7800 Ft, given that 28 is 8,652 Ft, that would suggest that there's a conflict there, there would appear to be a significant margin available.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭sherology

I do look forward to some real data/opinion at an EI/IAG event in the future to see how the LRs are doing on realworld routes, qndnjow Crew opinion, PaxEx, turnarounds etc are panning out.

A lot of the rumour on threads seems to be rather negative - and contrast with specs (barely making it to Hartford, poor take-off performance on a rather long runway at sea-level and temperate climate etc.)... But being Irish I realize that may be the negative-nelly's/sky is falling down type of rumour... A 'go-to' reaction to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That map is a bizarre mixture of feet, miles, inches and kilometres.
    Legend has two identical colours for different things.

Is it any wonder it took HALF A CENTURY to get off the ground - we really are catastrophically poor at planning anything in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

LRA has been flying back and forward to BDL for a month now, dispatch reliability looks to be 100%. Thats the only 'fact'

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

That and the fact it definitely uses less fuel than the 757...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

sdanseo wrote: »
    That map is a bizarre mixture of feet, miles, inches and kilometres.
    Legend has two identical colours for different things.

Is it any wonder it took HALF A CENTURY to get off the ground - we really are catastrophically poor at planning anything in this country.

It would have been a white elephant if built on that scale a few decades ago, though it's instructive to recall that runway 10/28 opened 30 years ago this year. Actually, I think the foresight of those who in the 1960s earmarked the land that would be needed for an unimaginable expansion by the standards of that time should be applauded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

EchoIndia wrote: »
    It would have been a white elephant if built on that scale a few decades ago, though the it's instructive to recall that runway 10/28 opened 30 years ago this year. Actually, I think the foresight of those who in the 1960s earmarked the land that would be needed for an unimaginable expansion by the standards of that time should be applauded.

Absolutely, many airport planners didn’t have the same foresight namely Heathrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement